Author Topic: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??  (Read 42848 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??
« Reply #90 on: 15 July 2013, 08:53:57 »
Definitely a 'shut your brain off for a few hours' kind of movie- very enjoyable, though parts made no sense to me. The best way to use a Jaeger is... wrestling a kaiju down? Really? I never saw any of them utilize a ranged attack other than spitting acid (and then only from ONE), seems like going less 'fists of fury' and more of the missiles and such would be a better idea. There have to be some ruined warships around, can we get a couple of five-inch guns mounted up in the shoulder Shadow Hawk-style please? SOMETHING so I'm not fighting kaiju on their own terms?

That bothered me through the whole movie, but otherwise it was pretty good stuff. Typical summer fare-a bit of story wrapped in a spectacle-and I'm fine with that. At least, compared to Battleship, this had decent enough acting and a plot that made a passing attempt at making sense. Very intriguing universe they have here, I hope they expand on it a bit further...

...And while the ending makes it difficult to expand further on the kaiju themselves as an enemy (not impossible, of course), I admit I'm intrigued more than them anyway by the idea of the world that remains after that ending. Now we have cities walled off against attacks that will never come-at least from kaiju- and several nations who have the ability (even if none remain right now) to build jaegers. Looks like the potential for a pretty interesting arms race could brew up in the years following the end of the movie- and if we're being honest, who doesn't want to see a couple of jaegers beat the hell out of each other as part of a Pacific war?

(As an aside, did it seem like there wasn't any point to the Chinese and Russian teams other than 'go die'? At least the Chinese landed a few good hits before dropping, did the Russians land one hit before going down? I was looking forward to seeing what their jaeger could do, and was deeply disappointed in that regard.)

I'd give it a solid B- entertaining and beautiful, but I'd have loved a little more plot- it feels like there's a huge universe here, and we saw very little of it. I want more.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #91 on: 15 July 2013, 09:52:01 »
Definitely a 'shut your brain off for a few hours' kind of movie- very enjoyable, though parts made no sense to me. The best way to use a Jaeger is... wrestling a kaiju down?

I have the prequel comic, and I think it addresses that. Perhaps not plausibly :) but someone states that for XYZ reason, beating the crap out the kaiju is the way to go.

(As an aside, did it seem like there wasn't any point to the Chinese and Russian teams other than 'go die'? At least the Chinese landed a few good hits before dropping, did the Russians land one hit before going down? I was looking forward to seeing what their jaeger could do, and was deeply disappointed in that regard.)

I bet things got cut from the movie. Unless I dreamt it (which is very possible given my infatuation with this movie), one of the trailers shows Cherno Alpha charging up it's Tesla fists to zap a kaiju. And I don't remember that happening in the film.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2013, 10:08:46 by truegrit »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #92 on: 15 July 2013, 10:04:06 »

Most weapons fire doesn't seem to penetrate the hide/armor.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #93 on: 15 July 2013, 10:35:14 »
Also I think there was some material in the comic that explained ripping through the monsters at range caused acid-blood to spatter too far and was a Very Bad Thing.

The plasma cannon may also only work at point-blank range.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #94 on: 15 July 2013, 10:41:15 »
Interesting film—it decidedly marches to the beat of its own drum, and sets its own standard while doing so. I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh style Del Toro was able to infuse here. Naturally, Idris Elba stole the show, absolutely nailing his command role. I would say this is going to be another cult, smash favorite-- along a similar vein as Big Trouble in Little China. I mean, it certainly had a lot of quirky humor, and never took itself too seriously. At the same time though, it was full of absolutely epic cinematography, and holding strong at a solid 70%+ rating on Rotten Tomatoes kind of takes it beyond ‘cult classic’ status. It seems like giant fighting robots are starting to appeal to the masses (when done appropriately). This is no Transformers train wreck (thank you Del Toro!). It’s also no Neon Genesis Evangelion ether (mostly good news here). The Misses and I both thought it was great, which I think speaks to the broad appeal of the characters/story arc. In the end though, I do kind of side with JadeHellbie-- I want more guns, and a larger universe. Still thought it a solid B, for me. Great 'fun' summer flick.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #95 on: 15 July 2013, 10:42:32 »
The movie and prequel comic seem to point to a lot of earlier Jaegars being designed for fighting with nuclear combat capabilities, and the heavy armor of Cherno Alpha seems to back up the idea. Coyote Tango which appears in flashback in the movie had two cannons on its back to fire nukes. In fact initially, the only thing that apparently brought down the Kaiju was nukes since we are shown fighters blazing away at the things to the usually JSDF level of accomplishment: not effective at all.

So in the tradition of good old fashioned Japanese Monster Movies and Sentai, you hit the thing with blunt force trauma to kill it. In fact that was what Coyote Tango kind of proved since it had the capabilities to fire nukes, but what killed the giant enemy crab apparently named Onibaba in Tokyo in 2016 in flashbacks was Coyote Tango just pummeling it to death. Unlike Cherno Alpha, Tango, also a Mark I, had been designed with lighter armor for better movement, and if you look at future Jaegars with Tango as a base, you'd see that all the descendants models that we know about are refinements on its design. Less bulk with better movement capabilities seemed to work a whole lot better than nuking the things from range.

Because sometimes, lobbing missiles and ammo at a target depending on the armor is about as effective as throwing spitballs. Though the only Mark V Jaegar, Striker Eureka, brought back missile attacks which seem to be quite effective against Class 2 Kaiju.

On that note, Pacific Rim was awesome. No further words are needed except . . . the Japanese Dub Cast is hilarious on a meta level and needs to be included on the Blu-Ray.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2013, 10:46:04 by Lord Harlock »

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 15 July 2013, 10:52:14 »
finally got to see this movie...and I've been shaking ever since!!!!! What a great movie!! Sooo much action, and despite the fact that characters were not actually the main point of this movie I likes them, even the ****** son. Mako Mori and Alba's character crazy badass, and Raleigh was very likeable as a person. Alba's badassery was cemented in his line 'one, don't ever touch me, two, don't ever touch me.' . This is firmly one of my favourite movies of all time! The problem is now I want more! The year preceeding this would be very interesting to see, especially the 'golden age' of kaiju slaying.

I recommend that anyone who has the time or funds to see it should.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2013, 10:54:29 by Daishi411 »
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #97 on: 15 July 2013, 10:55:07 »
The best way to use a Jaeger is... wrestling a kaiju down?

You don't understand, the Jaegers are trying to communicate with the kaiju, and the only way super robots can communicate is with their fists!

On that note, Pacific Rim was awesome. No further words are needed except . . . the Japanese Dub Cast is hilarious on a meta level and needs to be included on the Blu-Ray.

Oh, Gad!  Who'd they get, and did Ms. Kikuchi dub herself?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #98 on: 15 July 2013, 10:59:33 »
finally got to see this movie...and I've been shaking ever since!!!!! What a great movie!! Sooo much action, and despite the fact that characters were not actually the main point of this movie I likes them, even the ****** son. Mako Mori and Alba's character crazy badass, and Raleigh was very likeable as a person. Alba's badassery was cemented in his line 'one, don't ever touch me, two, don't ever touch me.' . This is firmly one of my favourite movies of all time! The problem is now I want more! The year preceeding this would be very interesting to see, especially the 'golden age' of kaiju slaying.

I recommend that anyone who has the time or funds to see it should.

I loved that line too. I called it, he was quite bad ass in the movie. Wouldn't of mind to see a little more of him thru the movie.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 15 July 2013, 11:13:10 »
Is Coyote Tango's back-mounted cannons supposed to be evocative of Evangelion Unit 01? (I've never watched that show, so I'm ignorant)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 15 July 2013, 11:30:21 »
Is Coyote Tango's back-mounted cannons supposed to be evocative of Evangelion Unit 01? (I've never watched that show, so I'm ignorant)

I doubt it.  EVA-01 never had back mounted cannons to my knowledge.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 15 July 2013, 11:37:09 »
I doubt it.  EVA-01 never had back mounted cannons to my knowledge.

Those shoulder blade thingies.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #102 on: 15 July 2013, 11:43:47 »

Eva 01's fins? Those are basically used as a backpack most of the time: the progressive knive and other weapons pop up there. I once heard that they had a more divine reason for being: they were suppose to hold the wings of the unit.

No Coyoto Tango's cannons are more like a Shadow Hawks.

Oh, Gad!  Who'd they get, and did Ms. Kikuchi dub herself?

Nope, they got a little bit more meta about it. Mako is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara aka Lina Inverse, female Ranma, Rei Ayanami, and hundred of other female characters. It's obvious that the Japanese dub needed to have Mako being more bombastic like only Lina Inverse could be. It couldn't be because of blue hair. Nope. Since, I have not heard Hayashibara's performance, I could be completely wrong which voice she used.

Herc Hansen got dubbed by Shuichi Ikeda which means that Striker Eureka should have been red to be three times faster. And sadly you have to wait for the end for a conversation between Char and Amuro, Tohru Furuya plays Dr. Newton Geizler. 

In fact, most of the actors in the Japanese dub have some connection to Gundam or other giant robot anime. And I've yet to discover who plays Hannibal Chou sadly.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 15 July 2013, 11:45:35 »
Those shoulder blade thingies.

The fold-back canons are more evocative of Gundam's Guncannon to me.

EVA-01's large shoulder plates are a combination of protection for the neck and upper back where the pilot is inserted, and weapon storage.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #104 on: 15 July 2013, 11:54:29 »
very enjoyable, though parts made no sense to me. The best way to use a Jaeger is... wrestling a kaiju down? Really? I never saw any of them utilize a ranged attack other than spitting acid (and then only from ONE), seems like going less 'fists of fury' and more of the missiles and such would be a better idea.
Genre conceipt. Super robots are all about the punchy punchy for the main part of the fight. And while you do have guns on a lot of them, it's usually a melee weapon that's the finishing blow.

There's a reason I was clapping like a gleeful child when Gipsy Danger pulled out a sword.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #105 on: 15 July 2013, 12:07:34 »
A friend of mine talked me into seeing this movie six months ago by describing it as Stringer Bell from The Wire and Charlie from Always Sunny in Philadelphia team up to fight giant monsters with equally giant robots. After seeing the movie, I can say they weren't far off.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #106 on: 15 July 2013, 12:39:20 »
Major sensory overload....  [drool]  Planning on writing my review for later this week.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 15 July 2013, 12:44:59 »
I saw it in 3D.. my only complaint was the RAIN was in 3D.  Even the occasional droplet of water stuck to the 'camera'.  Other than those distractions however, the movie was indeed awesome.

Awesome on the level of it being criminal to NOT see it.  But, of course with reference to the OP it has nothing in common with BattleTech other than them both being of the Giant Stompy Robot genre.   It could potentially serve as a gateway to introducing friends to the game.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #108 on: 15 July 2013, 16:32:50 »
I saw it today, and yes it did seem odd that ranged weapons weren't used. The Plasma guns on the one arm obviously have some range, when they checked for a "pulse". Sure we see in the opening fight with conventional forces bullets literally bouncing off the Kaiju's scales. But in the end the thing still died from conventional weapons. Seriously though they couldn't come up with a Jaeger sized rifle or a use of supporting missile fire? And who's bright idea is a wall of life anyway? Or how about once you figure out the timing of when the big old bad monsters come out of the rift, stationing a few ships on the surface and dropping nuclear depth charges?
My main issue would be that the Jaeger production had been cancelled though. Its a weapon system that works, even if the tide is turning against them in a one on one fight, so why not deploy more Jaegers at a time? Each of those bases should have been sending out a dozen for every Kaiju, not one or two.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #109 on: 15 July 2013, 16:51:59 »
The prequel novel actually says they ultimately had to stop the first Kaiju's with nukes.
The other IC issue with the things is that Kaiju blood/bits create a toxin when it decomposes, and ranged weapons tend to blast bits of them all over the place.

OOC it's a genre conceit. When giant robots or kaiju fight in the source media, it's almost always hand to hand. That's also why most of the fights were one on one.

(as a note, no one's ever figure out an exact timing for when the rifts open. That was sorta a plot point)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #110 on: 15 July 2013, 18:11:14 »
Blood and bits create a toxin? Seriously? They were tearing pieces off and scattering them about anyway with hand to hand combat anyway so why not make use of ballistic weapons? The Aussie Jaeger made use of Rockets/Shells? as a weapon system so its not a unknown weapon system.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 15 July 2013, 18:59:42 »
WWMZD? (What would Mazinger Z do?)

Would it carry around a shoulder-mounted Scud launcher to plaster an opponent?

Hell no!  There's no pagentry in it!

Mazinger Z is going to punch it in the face because that's how super robot pilots express their passion, and if the monster is too far away to reach, a super robot will simply have to attach rockets to its fists so it can reach!

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #112 on: 15 July 2013, 19:12:15 »
WWMZD? (What would Mazinger Z do?)
I need to keep this one. [rockon]
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #113 on: 15 July 2013, 19:20:58 »
I bet things got cut from the movie. Unless I dreamt it (which is very possible given my infatuation with this movie), one of the trailers shows Cherno Alpha charging up it's Tesla fists to zap a kaiju. And I don't remember that happening in the film.
  I've heard that more than an hour of finished scenes had to be left off the screen owing to various constraints (like running-time), including a lot more bot-on-baddie action from the 'secondary' Jaegers.
  I can't WAIT to buy that DVD.  [drool]

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #114 on: 15 July 2013, 19:21:54 »
A friend of mine talked me into seeing this movie six months ago by describing it as Stringer Bell from The Wire and Charlie from Always Sunny in Philadelphia team up to fight giant monsters with equally giant robots. After seeing the movie, I can say they weren't far off.

Cheers,
LCC

And don't forget Jax and Clay from Sons of Anarchy (if you watch that series...)
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 15 July 2013, 19:27:17 »
I also noticed last night that Gypsy Danger follows the grand tradition of giving super robots names that start with G.

Gettar Robo, Gaogaigar, Godannar, Golion, Grendizer, Gurren Lagann, Gravion, Gainer, Giant Robo, Gaiking, Gekiganger, Gunbuster, God Gundam, Godmars, and now Gypsy Danger! 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #116 on: 15 July 2013, 19:38:13 »
I also noticed last night that Gypsy Danger follows the grand tradition of giving super robots names that start with G.

Gettar Robo, Gaogaigar, Godannar, Golion, Grendizer, Gurren Lagann, Gravion, Gainer, Giant Robo, Gaiking, Gekiganger, Gunbuster, God Gundam, Godmars, and now Gypsy Danger!

Gypsy Danger?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #117 on: 15 July 2013, 19:44:55 »
Main character's robot. They all got fancy names, even the monsters. None of this pansy Robot One and Monster #2 crap. 8)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #118 on: 15 July 2013, 19:51:13 »
Main character's robot. They all got fancy names, even the monsters. None of this pansy Robot One and Monster #2 crap. 8)
  Yup: the main 'hero' machine is Gipsy Danger (the spelling is apparently deliberate).  The three-armed Chinese Jager is Crimson Typhoon, the blocky Russian one is Cherno Alpha, and the Australian machine with the chest-missiles and the highest kill-record in history is Striker Eureka.  We also see a few moments of Coyote Tango, a three-second TV-clip of Tacit Ronin during the 'rock-star years', and post-battle imagery of a whole lot of Jagers that crashed-and-burned.  :'(

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer