Author Topic: Generating some critters for a campaign  (Read 1999 times)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Generating some critters for a campaign
« on: 13 August 2013, 14:45:09 »
My usual group decided to begin a campaign set in the Fallout universe, a weird post-apocaliptic 50´s sci-fi setting, and we decided to use AToW as out game system.
An integral part of the setting are a number of mutated critters that populate the radioactive wastelands, and after using the creature generation system in the AToW Companion, i create a couple, but as i have a very limited experience with the system, i do not know if the ended up overpowered or not, so here i will post them for you to critique.

Giant Ant (Worker)
Mass (Kg): 15 Kg
Attributes (S/B/D/R/I/W/C/E): 5/3/2/3/1/4/1/2
Size Class (Modifier): Small (-1)
BAR (M/B/E/X): 3/2/1/2
Damage (AP/BD) 2M/2
Move (W/R/S): 6/16/32
Traits: Armor (+3)
Skills: AniMelee +2, Climbing +2

Giant Ant (Soldier)
Mass (Kg): 60 Kg
Attributes (S/B/D/R/I/W/C/E): 10/6/2/5/1/6/1/2
Size Class (Modifier): Medium (+0)
Damage (AP/BD) 2M/3
Move (W/R/S): 11/21/42
Traits: Armor (+3), Offensive Adaptation (Fangs), Blood Rage
Skills: AniMelee +5, Climbing +2, Perception -1, Tracking -1

« Last Edit: 13 August 2013, 15:10:09 by Baldur Mekorig »
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
Re: Generating some critters for a campaign
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2013, 15:02:40 »

Radscorpion (Small)
Mass (Kg): 20 Kg
Attributes (S/B/D/R/I/W/C/E): 4/4/2/5/1/4/1/2
Size Class (Modifier): Small (-1)
Damage (AP/BD) 2M/3
Move (W/R/S): 9/19/38
Traits: Armor (+3), Offensive Adaptation (Fangs and Claws), Poison (Injected; AP/Strength 1/5, Duration: 1 turn, Lethal), Poison Resistance (+2)
Skills: AniMelee +3, Perception +3, Stealth +2

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2013, 17:02:27 »
Cool!

Those are powerful, and have a nasty bite/sting, but smart tactics and use of terrain could ensure the PCs can take on large quantities of these guys. They need about 2 decent shots per critter, which is fine.

If you're unsure how they'll deal with them, feed them only a few critters initially. It'll be good practice, and help you evaluate what it takes to bring them down. I'd be especially careful with the rad scorpions, since you dont want to have antivenom easily accessible initially. (So then dont hit them with those guys).
If you do hit them with a big swarm of ants, make sure they have 1-2 means of escape. They'll have a hard time outrunning soldiers...

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 09:36:20 »
 Just yesterday we have our first "real" gaming sesion, and i faced two worker ants against three recently "thawed" characters (the joys of cryo-sleep), with minimal equipment (a .32 revolver, a police baton and a crowbar). Lets say, even with the ants doing fatigue damage, i almost did a TPK. The .32 revolver and the bludgeoning weapoerns were almost useless against the insects BAR. They killed the critter by fatigue damage.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2013, 09:38:55 »
Awesome! Tunnelrats for life! ;)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2013, 09:24:55 »
Hi,

Slinking out of my exile here only because someone compelled me to do this... Inspiration is the common phenomenon of someone's cat jumping up on their BattleTech terrain during a game.

Vorzellian Gigasphinx
Homeworld: Vorzel (Lyran Alliance)
Preferred environment: Plains, grasslands

Also comically referred to as “Catzilla”, the Vorzellian gigasphinx is an example of the type of megafauna one can find on many of the lower gravity worlds throughout human-occupied space. Vorzel, with a gravity rating of 0.63 Terran Gs, is home to several superlative examples of such megafauna, of which surprisingly many are mammalian. The gigasphinx, native to the plains and savannahs of Vorzel’s Uralfrika continent, is one of the planet’s largest mammals, and is particularly remarkable for its resemblance to an incredibly enormous Terrestrial housecat.

Sharing many traits with felines across known space, the gigasphinx is mainly carnivorous, with keen senses most commonly used for night hunting. It features retractable claws, a furred hide, and an elongated tail that aids it in balance, and has incredible land speed for its tremendous size. Like many terrestrial small cats, gigasphinx’s preferred prey are smaller species native to Vorzzel, including other oversized mammals like the gigantobison (a grazing animal that can weigh up to eight tons) and the bishaymoi (a tunneling beast large enough to devour a small ground car).

The creature’s massive size makes it hard to vent heat during the warmer seasons, and thus they tend to migrate around the vast plains of Uralfrika, which extend almost to the planet’s southern polar region. During the day, gigaphinx are known to meander for dozens of kilometers before settling down to rest for a few hours at a time. This habit tends to leave large swaths of the plains flattened in unusual patterns, though most smaller creatures can easily evade the slumbering giants. At night, when temperatures are much cooler, gigasphinx are far more active, while simultaneously a lot more aware of their surroundings.

Relatively solitary, gigasphinx are rarely encountered in large groups. Unlike terrestrial cats, gigasphinx give birth to only a few young at a time, and those that reach adulthood can live for upwards of fifty years. Early colonial efforts on Vorzel attempted to wipe out the species, and nearly succeeded before it became clear that they actually helped contain the spread of some of the planet's more destructive native creatures. For this reason, the few human settlements on the Uralfrika continent today, simply cluster in the northern reaches, where high mountains and towering woodlands form a natural barrier against gigasphinx incursions.

A Time of War Stats
Mass: 202,000 kg
Attributes (S/B/D/R/I/W/E): 185/202/6/4/7/9/7
Size Class (Modifier): Monstrous (+9)
BAR (M/B/E/X): 4/3/3/3
Damage (AP/BD): 8M/54
Move (W/R/S): 95m/189m/378m
Traits: Armor (+4), Compulsion/Lethargic (–2), Good Hearing (+2), Night Vision (+2), Offensive Adaptation (Claws/Bite), Patient
Skills: AniMelee +4, Climbing +5, Perception +5, Tracking +4

Total Warfare (Beast Infantry) Stats
Creature Type: Gigasphinx
Creature Size: Monstrous (+9)
Weight (Unloaded): 202 tons
Movement (Type): 7 (Ground)
Damage Bonus: +18D6 vs. Infantry; (+6 vs. Armored)
Damage Divisor: 11
Troops/Creature: 28
Creatures/Platoon: 1
Attacker To-Hit: –6
Notes: Can carry up to 10 Support Weapons (half crew needs, round up); Uses ’Mech rules for entering buildings; Treat as DropShip for stacking limits; May not execute anti-’Mech Swarm or Leg Attacks

... Yeah. I need more coffee...

Enjoy!

- Herb
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 11:23:58 by HABeas2 »

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2013, 10:54:46 »
As a fellow pet human (all hail our feline overlords), I can appreciate that Herb.
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2013, 14:54:40 »
The AToW companion is out?!?   When did that happen???
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2013, 15:32:32 »
The AToW companion is out?!?   When did that happen???

About a year ago:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,2209.msg519161.html#msg519161

Go get it, it's cool!

Register