Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: TYM-1* Toyama  (Read 7929 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: TYM-1* Toyama
« on: 23 August 2013, 01:33:01 »
’Mech of the Week: TYM-1* Toyama

Toyama. A 75-ton BattleMech named after Conrad Toyama, the man who turned ComStar from a phone company to a pseudo-religious organization of the type that later formed the Word of Blake. Also, one of the most heinous men in history, widely considered to have slain Jerome Blake on his deathbed, and probably is sharing a “spa” with Hitler and Stalin under the watchful eye of Lucifer himself.

Or maybe I should say destined to?

Apparently designed by an out-of-house consultant named Dr. Thaddues Anable, the plans for the Toyama were given to the WoBbles as part of an arrangement with the false Thomas Marik. It was put into production in early 3057 at the massive Gibson Federated BattleMechs facility, the same one that produced the Buccaneer and Cicada, among others.

This model, the TYM-1A, is built around an endo-steel skeleton and mounts a Vlar 300-rated extralight engine, giving it speeds comparable to the venerable Black Knight. Twelve tons of standard plate give the design 83% of maximum protection, laid out in a 9, 30/9, 20/7, 20, 25 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs repectively). Fourteen double heat sinks struggle with the heat load. The weapons-load consists of twin extended-model large lasers in the right arm, a Class-10 LB-X autocannon in the left arm, a 20-pack LRM in the right torso, and three medium lasers in the left torso. Two tons of ammunition are provided for their associated weapon system, non-CASEd. Rounding out the equipment is a Guardian ECM suite mounted in the right torso, meant to jam advanced targeting modules, which in the era it was introduced means C3 Slaves and Masters.

Originally intended to be jointly fielded by the FWLM and the Word of Blake Militia, shipments to the Atrean Dragoons were postponed when the WoBbles launched Operation Odysseus, the seizure of Terra. In that operation, four Toyamas were noted to have been used. I’m not sure if the shipments were ever made to the Free Worlds League, nor if it really matters (somehow I have the feeling any units that would have gotten Toyamas would be on the short list for absorption into the Word of Blake, one way or another).

As the Jihad opened, the Word of Blake began upgrading many of their designs. The Toyama received its first upgrade in 3070, becoming the TYM-1B model. This variant replaces the trio of medium lasers with a twin-set of extended models, swaps the engine for a light version, downgrades the LRM rack to a 15-shot version, adds CASE, swaps the ECM suite for an Improved C3 unit,  the large lasers for light-class Particle Cannons, and the autocannon for a Heavy-class Particle Cannon. A compact gyro was also used, and a ton of armor was added, being four points to each leg, two to each arm, two to each side torso front, and moving one point from the center front to the center rear. Four heat sinks were also added.

In 3072, the final variant (so far) arrived. The TYM-1C differs from the -1A model by using an extralight gyro, adds two tons of armor (4 points to the center front and side front, 3 to the arms, 2 to the center rear, and six to the legs). Two heat sinks were removed. The autocannon was swapped for a Gauss Rifle. The large lasers were swapped for medium-class variable-speed pulse lasers. The LRM rack is now tied to an Artemis IV fire-control. CASE was added to the right torso. All other weapons and the ECM suite were swapped for an Improved C3 unit.

Using one of these machines starts with which model. The first model is nasty on its own, but you need to watch out for Golden BBs. On the other hand, the other two have headcappers, and can be tried to a C3 Network. In the latter case, I would suggest bringing closers to allow for better numbers and nastier machines to perhaps draw some fire away from you. The first two models also require a lot of watching your heat dial.

Fighting one you need to take note of his friends. While more important with the latter two, the first one still can have buddies you don’t like. Targeting computers, pulse weaponry, and headcappers are all nice to have. Plasma weapons and the like can also be useful, if you have an up-close brawler type mentality. Slipping in ECM suites to disrupt his networks are also good.

These machines have made their mark on BattleTech history. Unfortunately, that is most certainly come to an end. First, being named after a man synonymous with evil is not conducive to one’s lasting existence. Worse, it is also the name of a faction within the Word of Blake, that may well be blamed for many of their excesses. More importantly, the production lines were on Gibson, the first planet turned into a shiny glass bead by the Regulans. That is almost always fatal, barring someone having copies of how to build the dang things, and a willingness to use them (perhaps under a different name).

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: ’Mech of the Week: TYM-1* Toyama
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2013, 02:04:19 »
The TYM-1A Toyama is pretty good. Whenever I have fielded one, the 'Mech survived much longer than pure stats would suggest.

The TYM-1B boosted the durability even further.

The TYM-1C is a bit superfluous, as the WoB already had the very similar Excalibur. At least the TYM-1C had the C3I computer.

Very good 'Mech overall.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2013, 02:11:20 »
Ahh the Albatross lite, a good machine but will be universally hated and probably scrapped out of principle.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2013, 02:53:33 »
Ahh the Albatross lite, a good machine but will be universally hated and probably scrapped out of principle.

I wouldn't be so sure. Some Toyamas were destined for the Atrean Dragoons, so if they salvaged some of those 'Mechs in their fight against the Word of Blake, why should they scrap them? Especially if they had them (perhaps) already on their roster?

I’m not sure if the shipments were ever made to the Free Worlds League, nor if it really matters (somehow I have the feeling any units that would have gotten Toyamas would be on the short list for absorption into the Word of Blake, one way or another).

Actually, not a single Atrean Dragoons regiment joined the Word of Blake Militia. The 1st Atrean Dragoons were destroyed by the LAAF in 3068, 11th Atrean Dragoons stayed in the FWLM, and the 12th Atrean Dragoons defected to the Stone.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2013, 04:23:54 »
Originally intended to be jointly fielded by the FWLM and the Word of Blake Militia, shipments to the Atrean Dragoons were postponed when the WoBbles launched Operation Odysseus, the seizure of Terra. In that operation, four Toyamas were noted to have been used. I’m not sure if the shipments were ever made to the Free Worlds League, nor if it really matters (somehow I have the feeling any units that would have gotten Toyamas would be on the short list for absorption into the Word of Blake, one way or another).
Given those numbers it sounds like this is one of the rarer units (Someone calculated on average how many of each variant there should be a while and I think the number came out to be 25, I'm guessing there aren't that many of this design in existence)

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2013, 06:15:28 »
of watching your heat dial.

Dude...   8)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2013, 09:41:56 »
  The 1A is a good mech despite some issues with the armor and heat. Away from being optimun is more into the "have fun" units.

It has good weapons and it works well as a fire support unit. An LRM20+LBX10+2 ER Large (skip one every 2 turns) is a good barrage to throw at people. Used as a fire support unit, the lack of armor is less of a problem, too. The 1B is far more durable and has more heavy hitting weapons, it is an improvement. The third variant is more weird (XL gyro, why?) and it is not a real improvement. Anyway, a nice unit, very beautiful sculpt,  very useful at least until 3067.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2013, 11:45:08 »
Just having one of these in your unit will probably get you shot at by folks who've fought the Word of Blake, especially post-Jihad.

That being said, how has the WoB's reputation tainted some of the equipment they use, like the Improved C3 computer?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2013, 12:22:39 »
That being said, how has the WoB's reputation tainted some of the equipment they use, like the Improved C3 computer?

Not too much. The C3i computers disappeared after the Jihad mostly because the standard organizational scheme of IS armies calls for 4-Mech lances, so C3i networks would have been underutilised. Not even Capellans with their Augmented Lances have adopted the system.
The WoB wasn't the only user of C3i networks - remants of ComGuards, who fought for Stone and used that system, joined the Republic armed  forces.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2013, 17:40:28 »
The Toyama is a known "extinct" design by the 3130s.

That being said, it's a great 'Mech, one that tends to be able to deal out a lot of punishment. While it was quickly eclipsed by newer Word designs in its presence, I always imagined that numerically it remained one of the most important Word heavies.

I had a friend who used to hate the Toyama with a passion due to the successes his opponents had with them. Says a lot right there (Just don't get him started on the Buccaneer)
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2013, 18:24:32 »
I got the mini for it and the Vanquisher from the bargain bin of a gameshop that went under, mostly for opfor purposes. As much as I loathe the toaster lovers, the TYM-1A (the only one I knew about) wasn't a bad rig. Good ranged punch, passable close in fire. I've seen worse. The mini is pretty decent as well. If you're a WOBbler or desperate for a chassis, the 1A is a decent support unit. Just watch out for friendly fire of you're not a rober.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2013, 18:33:16 »
Not too much. The C3i computers disappeared after the Jihad mostly because the standard organizational scheme of IS armies calls for 4-Mech lances, so C3i networks would have been underutilised. Not even Capellans with their Augmented Lances have adopted the system.
The WoB wasn't the only user of C3i networks - remants of ComGuards, who fought for Stone and used that system, joined the Republic armed  forces.
The Ghost Bears have been experimenting with the iC3 but witness the Ursus-PR

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2013, 21:19:02 »
The Ghost Bears have been experimenting with the iC3 but witness the Ursus-PR

Yeah, but just experimenting. How many C3i designs have they built since then? None. So I'd say they regarded that particular experiment as a failure.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2013, 01:22:12 »
I have liked this design for quite a while, though I still prefer the -1A just because of my love for the LB-10X.  Before we got the -1B, I was using HMP to tinker with the -1A and LFEs to get improved survival- which basically came down to dropping some lasers or the size of the missile rack.

Its on the short list of mechs I would like to have as part of my mercs, even with the taint.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2013, 10:35:54 »
This was the Mech that really caused me to start thinking that the Word was more than just Comstar Lite. I wasn't overly impressed with their gear from Comstar Sourcebook/3058 (the Nexus and Raijin were ridiculously underarmored, and the Grand Crusader had potential but... large pulse lasers... eugh). Then we get this beast and the Buccaneer together, and suddenly the Blakists have a couple of real contenders on their hands. The Bucc is a nasty in-fighter, if a bit sluggish, and then this thing... at long to mid ranges, Toyamas are tough to beat.

The similarity to the Thunderbolt is there- not all that quick, but surprisingly tough to put down even with the ammo on board. The weapon layout looks familiar too- LRM in the right torso (though built in rather than in that cool-looking drum), three mediums stacked in the left, large laser in the right arm-though two of them of course, and no hand. Feels like home. Those two MGs of course seem to have become a mighty LB-10X though-that's a mild upgrade, of course. ;) The ECM is an added bonus, particularly when dealing with a missile-heavy opponent using Narc or Artemis (like the League the Blakists made their home with when the design was created- foreshadowing?) or C3/C3i networks such as what the heretic Comstar was starting to experiment with.

The heat curve at long range can be a little tricky- firing the large lasers and LRM at range means building enough heat to cause a loss of speed, so one has to kind of pick and choose, which is never a good thing. At shorter ranges though, the mediums and the LB are a nasty combination. My experiments with dropping the ER larges to reduce the heat problem have never proven to be as successful as I would have liked, sadly. As is though, this is a solid customer at all ranges, able to snipe decently and able to brawl just as well.

The later versions are solid as well, though they come with heat problems of their own. My own use of them is pretty limited, so I can't give much in the way of personal observations, but I see little to be too upset about. Adding C3i to a Blakist Mech can never be a bad thing, after all. I'd gladly field-modify the standard Toyama to do this, probably by dropping one of the ER large lasers to gain the C3i, maybe a light PPC in its place, and having half a ton left over for armor. I hate losing a long-range punch like that, but it can't use it all that well anyway.

This is a great Mech if you're a fan of old-school heavies like the Warhammer and Thunderbolt-despite the XL engine, it works much the same way. If you're more of a mobile-minded commander, Toyamas maybe aren't the best choice for you. Either way, this is a heavy to be respected- or ignored at your own risk.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2013, 17:33:39 »
The Toyama is a known "extinct" design by the 3130s.

At least one last survivor appeared in Wolf Hunters novel (3134?), where the a very battered TYM-1A Toyama and Buccaneer went on suicidal charge against Jacob's Juggernauts when their survivalist WoB colony was discovered within the Falcon's Reaches.  It didn't end well...
« Last Edit: 25 August 2013, 11:10:45 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2013, 07:23:02 »
At least one last survivor appeared in Wolf Hunters novel (3134?), where the a very battered TYM-1A Toyama and Buccaneer went on suicidal charge against Jacob's Juggernauts when their survivalist WoB colony discovered within the Falcon's Reaches.  It didn't end well...

Yep. That's what I was thinking of; IIRC it was implied to be a design found nowhere else.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2013, 19:28:46 »
The -1B model worked well for me the few times I got to use it. Plus it looks pretty durned cool.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2013, 23:30:10 »
While wrong factionally, visually always liked its style. Pity we only got a couple of pieces of Kevin Long BattleTech art :(

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2013, 04:27:04 »
It's a no-nonsense design. Lethal and effective.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Register