Author Topic: FWL: When did "The Protectorate" become "The Protectorate"?  (Read 1778 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
FWL: When did "The Protectorate" become "The Protectorate"?
« on: 02 September 2013, 12:19:19 »
I'm reading through "The Color of the Sky" at the moment, and the dateline got me wondering exactly when the FWL province known in 3025 as "The Protectorate" became known by that designation. 

Handbook: House Marik hints that it got that name after the end of Anton's revolt, when a victorious Janos placed it under martial law.   (HB:HM p. 46 - "By early 3015, Anton still held only a core of his domain, the worlds known today as The Protectorate.")

The 2864 map in HB:HM shows that region as being part of the Duchy of Oriente.  However, "The Color of the Sky" calls it part of "The Protectorate" in 3014, and the maps in Historical: Brush Wars also label that region as "The Protectorate" during the Anton-Janos civil war.   

So, my question is, when and why was "The Protectorate" carved off from the Duchy of Oriente?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: FWL: When did "The Protectorate" become "The Protectorate"?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2013, 13:55:01 »
Hi,

Looks like another case where writer's error has forced a revision through the offices of Fiat-Retcon Incorporated!

The name change to the Protectorate for those worlds happened some time in the murky past, likely whenever those worlds were first annexed by the Duchy of Oriente. For the decades and/or centuries since (depending on whom you ask), those worlds may be referred to as "The Protectorate" for as long as they were part of the Duchy (and afterward).

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Thanks,

- Herb

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: FWL: When did "The Protectorate" become "The Protectorate"?
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2013, 20:53:06 »
That'll work.  Thanks!
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.