Author Topic: Awards and Rewards (A Ngo story by Cannonshop)  (Read 8536 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Awards and Rewards (A Ngo story by Cannonshop)
« on: 08 September 2013, 05:03:09 »
[[Posted 11-08-2006, 18:34:27]]

Donegal, temporary capital of the Lyran Alliance, 3076/08/11, 1230 Hours

"...for outstanding service in defense of the Lyran people..."blah, blah, blah,  courage, blah blah, honour, blah blah Tradition...  the speech just droned on and on.  Ersatz Kommandant Nicholas Trung shifted his weight left-to right to keep his legs from falling asleep in the position of attention while the archon droned onward and onward.  Jesus, don't we have better things to do? He could see the other "Representative Officers" from the Regiment doing much as he was, enduring the endless ceremonial decoration-handing-out.
Blah blah blah, blahblahblah"Trung, Vin Lan, Kommandant, Ersatz Regiment Drei, front and center please."  his legs felt leaden as he stepped bacl., gave a sharp right-face, and exited the formation.  Unlike the snappy sound of the Donegaller's low-quarter dress heels, his combat boots echoed with a muffled thump on the polished marble. It felt good to walk after the forty-five minutes of standing at attention.

He reached the position, and rendered a hand-salute.  The tall, blonde man in front of him returned it.  "McKenzie Ground Pounder's Medal, Order of Merit and Lyran Soldier's medal."  The medals looked, Trung knew, quite ridiculous on the Feld-grey synthetic field-uniform.  They weren't meant to be displayed on combat fatigues.  "You didn't have a Dress uniform, Kommandant?" the Archon asked, cocking an eyebrow. 

"My men weren't issued, it would be improper to have them out of uniform." Trung replied, "Especially just so their commander can look, ah, 'good', Sir."

Peter looked surprised, for a moment, then nodded, "Quite right, quite right... though I see that General Forrestal..."

Trung shrugged, "herr General has been quite... assertive as to his view of the emergency-regiments, sir, which makes me rather glad I'm not relying on His supply officers, or my men would not eat."

"He's been witholding supplies?" the Archon asked, frowning.

"No sir, at least, not deliberately, it's just that it's hit-or-miss whether a given day's shipment will contain the right supplies. Last week, from the 3rd's supply group, we recieved 203mm autocannon shells,  Arrow IV ammunition, and 5.6mm rifle bullets..and eight tonnes of assorted winter garments.  We don't use 203mm anything, and our artillery are thumpers, and frankly, none of my companies carry the TK's, we're using Mauser-und-Grey 200 rifles in 7.9mm, and MG-6 machineguns in the same calibre.  I'm rather happy that I don't have to deal with LAAF Regular Quartermasters.  SIR."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Re: Awards and Rewards (A Ngo story by Cannonshop)
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2013, 05:03:30 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 13-08-2006, 18:56:46]]

Donegal, Lyran Alliance.

Hauptmann Gunther Marsden watched the members of the 3rd ersatz Regiment being decorated he knew that his turn was next. He has the honor of serving along side of them and had benefited from thier ingenious use of supplies. This is a damn shame. I know what the SHOULD have recieved. He rocked almost imperceptibly on his heels to give his knees a break as his name was called. He stepped out of ranks an marched briskly to the fromt of the formation.

Archon Peter Steiner-Davion retuned Hauptmann Marsden's salute crisply."Haputman, stand at attenton." The Archon reached up and removed his Hauptmann's tabs...he then replaced them with Kommandant's rank and hung the Allince Star around his neck. "Your service has been a credit to the Alliance, Kommandant. May your courage and sacrifice be an example to all of us."

Kommandant Marsden took a step back and saluted again. "Thank you Archon...permission to withdraw?" Peter nooded.
"You are dismissed, Kommandant."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2013, 05:03:51 »
[[Posted 14-08-2006, 13:51:03]]

1932 Hours, Residential apartments of the Archon...

Margaret Doons sat before the fireplace and regarded Peter.  "I told you."  she said.
Peter sighed heavily and dropped into an overstuffed recliner.  "I know you did, you, and Dame Ngo,  and gott-knows who else.  If we're going to survive this war, we're going to need to fix a whole lot of things, and the fixing is going to overturn a lot of applecarts."

The head of Nashan Enterprises nodded, and sniffed her brandy.  "That was very nice, inviting those young people here, to be decorated by the Archon in-person." she smiled,  "very smooth move, and with their own Duchess offworld."

Peter grunted, and poured himself a drink.  "yeah... that's me, politician supreme, make everyone happy, make everyone feel welcome..."  He turned and regarded her with a frown.  "News isn't good from the fronts."

Doons nodded, "I know.  Three hundered percent losses from the Ersatz regiments, the Jaeger units getting it, and your cousin Phelan doesn't seem to be having much luck on his end, either."

Peter sighed, and nodded in disgust.  "Three hundered percent, and we're still bleeding out of regular units."  He frowned.  "We're going to lose this, if it keeps up."
He sighed.  "We need a Break, some kind of good news..."

Doons shrugged, "Well... there was what the Third did at Zhongshan..."

Peter laughed hollowly, "For which, we just had an awards ceremony.  I got to pin medals on forty two survivors...half of whom, didn't even know what I was saying, because they don't speak either German, or English."

Doons nodded, "I know-but the one that did, sure as hell didn't waste time talking to you, did he?"

Peter shrugged, "Kommandant Trung..." he looked thoughtful.  "certainly had something to say."
He set his glass down, and looked at his economic minister.  "we need to clean it up." he said decisively, "Units that can't be moved, or can't finish repairs because they don't have supplies are basically immobile."

She nodded, "I've talked to Bradford, and Larue already, but it's going to have to be ordered from the Archon or it won't stick-and then, you're going to have to make it stick.  There's no other way."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2013, 05:04:20 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 17-08-2006, 17:04:59]]

Field Headquaters 4th Royal Guards RCT,near Asgard, Tharkad.

General Daniel Russell listend to the comms traffic. Two Hours ago the 1st ACR (Kowloon Plantetary Militia) had engaged WoB forces and the fighting was intense. Te WoB had retreated into what was left of the Triad. Colonel Dieter Kruse had decided to use his attached Artillery to pin them in place. Two hours later the bombardment was still continuing. The only messages were requests for more Ammunition for the gun tubes to be run up to feed the barrage.

Good lord, 96 guns and two hours of fire...and the Blakies are still holding. Madness. He opened a channel. "Gaslight to Kerosene..status report..."

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 17-08-2006, 19:23:56
What, are the Blakies channling Leoniadius?  "The Kowloonese say they can put up enough artillery shells to blot out the sun.  Then we shall fight in the shade!"

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2013, 05:04:44 »
[[Posted 17-08-2006, 22:56:34]]

Donegal, Transit Barracks 152, 2200 Hours...

Kommandant Trung sighed, and leaned back in his desk, shoving the field-terminal aside for a moment and rubbing his eyes.  Paperwork...I hate paperwork.  He'd begged out of the Officer's Soiree'  pleading a crushing workload-and then, he'd found enough work to crush his evening away.
Sargeant Major Wu knocked on the open door.  "Sir?"  the Battalion NCOIC said after a moment.

"Come in, Wu... I'm about done here."  Trung stated, adding, "You should either be in bed, or out partying on your pass.  Why are you still around?"

Wu glided in and sat down in one of the empty chairs, "I decided to trade Staff Duty with Staff-Sargeant Liet.  I'm not one for partying anymore, and the fleshpots on Steinhelm Boulevard aren't to my taste anyway."

Trung nodded, "How much trouble will they get into, do you think?"

Wu shrugged his shoulders, and gestured noncomittally, "Not much-the language barrier keeps them on the Liason's leash-at least, the ones that don't have much English, and most of them know to stick together with their squad-leaders..."

Trung sighed,  "and homesickness will keep the others close.  Yah, I saw the same data you did.  I still wish we had a Coast-Guard company running Provost, I'm just not sure about our blonde-haired masters."

"Trouble again?" Wu asked.

Trung nodded, "Yes, our Duchess is tied up in a siege on Tharkad, we're quite some distance from our home territory, and we're very much alone out here."

Wu shrugged, "The dog-and-pony show did not reassure you of our beloved Archon's concern?"

Trung laughed, "No, that's not it, I'm sure Archon Peter wants his troops to believe in him-but what I saw today was a parade-soldier and duellist who lets too many others pull his strings.  All that 'glory' and 'honour' isn't making the Clans stop attacking our border, or the Word of Blake stop burning cities, and it's not keeping our friends and our men alive."  He fingered the Medal on his desk,  "The cost of moving us here for this charade could have supplied our Battalion for six months where we were at."

Wu nodded, "I came at a bad time, you've been doing the books..."

Trung shook his head, "You came at the perfect time-I needed a distraction."

Wu grinned, and reached into his thigh-cargo-pocket, bringing forth a metal flask about half a litre in size.  "I have a tiny taste of home." he said,  and set the bottle on the desk between them.

"You're on duty."  Trung said with a slight frown.

"You aren't."  Wu replied.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2013, 05:05:20 »
[[Posted 18-08-2006, 23:18:17]]

the last of the townsfolk were through the entrance to the railroad tunnel.  Trung nodded to Hauptmann Cu'ong, who squeezed the clicker and detonated the cratering charges.  the mouth of the tunnel collapsed behind them, sealing the Headquarters company and Alpha troop off.

"Battlemechs on the left."  Sgt. Major Wu announced.  Trung gripped the field-phone in his hand.  "ECM?" He asked.

"None, they're in the clear and running hard."  Wu said.  Trung pulled out a plot board, and did some calculations.   "Flower, this is Bachelor-Six Actual,  Send Dinnerware UTM 645302 Repeat Repeat Repeat, Over." he keyed the mike and sent the packet.

"Bachelor Six, this is Flower Six Actual, Confirm Dinnerware Request, authenticate Zulu Echo, over." the Artillery commander for the Regimental guns was on the line.

"I authenticate Delta Foxtrot, and confirm request, over." He answered, as Wu pointed at the situation screen.  The enemy was within 700 meters of their position.

"On the Way, Over."

Shells began falling as the first enemy forces splashed into view, crossing the stream three hundered meters west of his unit's position.  Their armoured hydes were painted in dull olive-drab, the deadly shapes deformed with their cargo of battlesuits.

"For what we are about to recieve, let us be truly thankful."  Wu commented.

The woodline exploded as the first shells reached their predetermined altitude spread and detonated. Chaos erupted and men began to scream...

Trung sat up, coated in sweat and smelling burnt pentaglycerine and the stink of charred flesh.  His ears were still ringing from the artillery strike.  sheets?  he touched the linens, and remembered.  that battle's over.   He reached over and thumbed the bedside lamp on.
White plaster. he looked at the walls.  Not dirt, not stone, or unpainted concrete.  I'm not in the field.

The silence was deafening.

He reached over, and activated a vid-player.  Pompous, lumbering music filled the room.

It's not the field, I'm in the rear. I'm not in the field.  He repeated it to himself over and over again, until his heart slowed down.

"It's going to be the front, sooner or later." a voice said, and he jumped.  Hauptmann Cu'ong was standing in the bathroom. "For what we're about to recieve, sir, let us be truly grateful."  the young officer's intestines dripped red on the clean white tiles, and he was speaking-even though he had no mouth.  "They're going to have to send you back, sir."

"Cu'ong?" Trung asked.  He blinked his eyes, and the blood, and the dead man, were gone.

I'm losing it. Trung flopped back on the bed, and tried to focus on the noise.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2013, 05:05:41 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 19-08-2006, 23:17:53]]

Schloss Marsden, Donegal. Two weeks later.

Newly promoted Kommandant Gunther Marsden sipped his beer. "It is nice to be home but I am itching the get back to the front. I have put in numerous requests for orders but they have yet to materialize."He sighed and his shoulders sagged with resignation. His father looked at him.

"I'm sure something will come inthe next day or two. The news vids have been a buzz with the news from Tharkad."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2013, 05:06:14 »
[[Posted 20-08-2006, 00:17:37]]

Temporary Residence Barracks...

Lt. Adolph Reisz  walked back to the CQ building with Sgt. Heffernan.  "Damned shame, isn't it, sir?"
Heffernan commented. 

Reisz nodded, "Damned shame, what is the universe coming to?  I'd almost think we were invaded by Snakes, that bibbly-blab they speak.  Uncivilized."  the sarcasm seemed to go over the NCO's head, "After all, they only took on a trinary of Clanners without a battlemech in sight!" he added, to emphasize his point.

"They're just bluidy savages, sir-probably not smart enough t' know they should've been running behind that refugee convoy, 'stead of fighting."  Heffernan pressed on dimly, apparently unaware of his platoon-leader's effort to nudge him subtly, he continued, "They're just WOGs anyways."

Reisz shook his head, and let the ironic smile slip into a more serious expression.  "Sargeant, how many hours do you have on the Clan front?"

the Sargeant shook his head again, "None, sir, my request for a transfer out thataway was rejected."

Maybe if you weren't a fat, bigoted, ignorant turd, it wouldn't have been. Reisz thought acidly.  "They just spent the last six months in front of a Jade Falcon offensive, Sargeant, without relief.  Took enough casualties to turn a reinforced heavy conventional regiment into the battalion-and-a-half sitting here, and they held up while the Third Donegal reorganized and boarded ship for the counterattack..."  He stopped, and rounded in front of Heffernan, glaring. 
"The Third was Late, which is why the Archon had Kommandant Trung to decorate, instead of Colonel Giap.  They started off as reinforcements for the Tamar Cavaliers, but the Cavaliers un-assed after Three Days, and dashed off to Skye.  Six months, Sargeant, six months after  LAAF Regulars ran off and left them to be ground into paste.  I've been in that game before, when we lost Chahar..."  Reisz was angrier, "Your request for Transfer was rejected, because You couldn't cut-it, you will NOT be giving them a harder time than you would any front-line troops, Sargeant.  If I even think you are, or have been, I will personally see to your reassignment to a unit looking for contraband in the public landfill."  He sighed, "Are we clear?"

Heffernan's usual greasy expression froze during the Leutnant's rant, and his whole posture seemed to shrivel.  "yes sir."  he said meekly, "absolutely clear, sir."

"Very good, Sargeant.  I believe you're scheduled for gate duty in... ten minutes, south entrance." Reisz said quietly, adding, "over by the billets for the visiting officers from the Third Donegal."

Heffernan started to protest-he'd written the schedule up, and avoided gate-guard by assigning it to a Corporal- "But sir, Nicks has-"

"I'll amend the schedule, Sargeant, be sure to be at your place of duty before I finish."  Reisz said it firmly.

"Yes sir." Heffernan lumbered off at a worried trot.

Reisz watched the overweight man's retreating back, his good hand clasping the synthetic behind his back. 

"There's going to be trouble from that one."  a voice said from behind him.

Reisz turned, and found himself looking at Kommandant Trung himself.  "Sir!" he snapped to, and saluted.

Trung returned the salute, "As you were, Leutnant.  Nice night, I guess you're pulling babysitter?" It wasn't really a question.

"Yes, sir, I guess you could call it that...it's a mite late to be wandering, sir?"  He asked, noting that the barracks time-display on #6 was reading 0345 hours.

"Yeah.  Can't sleep.  You were on Chahar?"  Trung asked.

"I was the MTM's assistant Provost, Um, the XO of a company in their Infantry regiment... we mostly handled crowd control and emergency missions... not really like you guys, back then, the LAAF tried hard to keep the poor bloody infantry in the rear."  Reisz confessed.

Trung shrugged, "Yeah, well I signed up with the Planetary Militia expecting to spend my entire military career back home.  Nobody expected the LAAF would spring on the transport costs to pull five hundered, much less three thousand, infantry and support troops a hundered and fifty light years away from their homeworld... you wanna smoke?"  He offered a paper-wrapped packet to the Leutnant, who accepted one of the cigarillos hesitantly.

"Thank you, sir... Your men aren't...well... they aren't really set up for crowd-control, are they?" Reisz asked, adding, "I saw them off-load, they're...atypical."

Trung shrugged, "We've got a little different setup- there's a civvie police force on Kowloon, and the Coast Guard, so the Militia train for actual combat.  Most of our training was focused on dealing with 'mech based attackers because of Hopper Morrison and his gang, and most of it's based on worst-case infantry versus heavier or tougher stuff.  The idea being that, according to Duchess Ngo, Soldiers make terrible policemen.  I think she might be right... get nightmares often? after Chahar, I mean."

Reisz nodded, "Yeah.  yeah I do... I take it you must've had a buggar of one."

Trung nodded, "No shit there- I just had a one-sided conversation with my alpha company commander-he got most of his upper body turned into puree by an elemental's missile during the fight in Happy Valley."

Reisz felt a morbid fascination, "You, or him?" he asked.

"Him.  He told me that trouble's coming."  Trung confided, "Personally, being a holder of a Bachelor's in Psychology, I figure it's my subconscious, but my nerves have been doing the ping since I saw him, standing in my room's latrine."

Reisz sighed, "You might want to see a doc, Sir."

Trung shrugged, "I'm considering it... problem is, until the boys get reassigned or we get a raft of replacements,  I've got to be the boss, can't show anything getting to me, and if I've got it bad, I know some of them have it worse-the line at the Psych's office is long enough without another messed up head."

Reisz nodded, "I hear you there, sir.. you hungry? I think the Mess Hall's got some pogie laid on tonight, and it's got to be more pleasant there, than out here in the cold..."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2013, 05:06:37 »
[[Posted 20-08-2006, 10:09:32]]

Transient Barracks, Donegal 0400 hrs.

Kommandant Marsden stopped his jeep at the gate. The NCOIC of the gate guard stepped out of the gatehouse.

"Papers!" The Sergeant was fat and out of uniform. Marsden handed him his Identifacation, the Sergeant looked it over and almost tossed it back at him.

Kommandant Marsden had had enough and shut the motor off and stepped out his insignia caught the dim light. The Sergeant still looked at him sullenly.
"Is there a problem Sergeant or are you always this respectful of officers in general?"

Sergeant Heffeman snapped to attention his face went pale." Nein, Herr Kommandant..." Marsden cut him off.
"You have to be the sorriest excuse for an NCO I have had the displeasure of meeting. I will be discussing this incident with your Leutnant...Sergeant..."He looked at the Sergeant's name tag. "...Hefferman. I will now pass through. Good day Sergeant."
Marseden climbed back into his jeep and pulled up CQ shack. He shut the jeep down and ensured that it was locked he then presented himself to the Corporal at the door and was greeted by a crisp salute.

"Good morning, Kommandant. May I help you sir?" Marsden returned the salute."You can tell me if the Officer of the day has left for chow yet, Corporal."
  "Sir he is inside and has been expecting you. You may pass after I have verified your identity." Marsden offered his ID.
The Corporal quickly checked it and passed him in. "Thank you sir. Have a good day and welcome to the post."

Two Minutes later.

Leutnant Reisz began to stand Kommandant Marsden motioned for him to remain seated and took the chair in front of the Leutnant' s desk. "Quiet moring so far Leutnant?"
The Leutnat nodded. " Yes sir. The Kowloonese commander was here a few moments ago...he went to the mess hall I think. No incidents to report sir."
Marsden smiled. "Good to hear. Your Corporal at the door was the soul of tact, very professional. I cannot say so much for the Sergeant at the gate."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2013, 05:07:06 »
[[Posted 21-08-2006, 12:28:34]]

Kommandant Marsden strode into the mess-hall,looking much better than Trung felt.  Oh, crap.  Not this early, or is it late...  Trung shifted his stare into the lukewarm coffee in front of him, as the 'mechwarrior beelined straight for the corner table he himself had occupied for nearly an hour.

Wish, and the opposite shall happen.  Trung thought sourly.  Marsden sat down.  "Tough night?" he asked, a little too brightly.

"Something like that.  I thought your guys were all out on pass." Trung commented.

"Most of us are, I got a call this morning to come in for a staffer."  Marsden replied, gestured to one of the Stewards (who'd already learned to avoid Trung's table, and were hesitant to approach.)

Trung leaned back, "Hmm..." he looked across the table.  Marsden was younger than he was, with that rounded-apples look of mixed anglo-saxon and germanic ancestry that seemed to be the standard for Donegal's upper-crust.  That the noble's son was choosing to sit with him, the son of a corn-farmer and grandson of a peasant fisherman, was somehow out-of-shape.  "Staff call... I guess I should check in and see if I've got a message at the Orderly room."

About then, Private Koan, the duty-driver assigned to Trung's battalion, appeared at the entrance to 'officer's country, swept the room, and seeing him, walk-ran toward the table.  "Apparently, I won't have to call in." Trung sighed.  Marsden turned and saw the lanky youth neatly sidestep a female steward overburdened by a tray-platter who wasn't paying close attention. 

Nguyen stopped in front of the table, snapped to attention, and saluted.
Trung returned the boy's salute, and said, "<Message for me?>"

The Private recited, "<Greetings of the morning to you, sir, you have one message from Colonel Brandt of the Third Donegal Regulars, summons to Staff meeting at zero-six hundered for predeployment briefing,Sir.>"

Trung nodded, and cocked an eyebrow at Marsden, who apparently did not speak Viet.

Trung shrugged, "<Nguyen, it's zero-four-forty-five, when did you start looking for me?>"

The Private replied snappily, "<Message was recieved in the orderly room fifteen minutes ago, you left your beeper on the bedstand, which I have brought here.  Shirley told me she saw you and Leutnant Reisz of the Provost walking this way about half an hour ago-so, I guess about five minutes of actually looking, sir.>"

Trung clapped, "<Bravo, bravo.  Get yourself and Sargeant-Major Wu some chow while you're down here, and tell Hauptmann Jones that he's got the formation for PT this morning, it's a Run day, and after a pass, Corpsman Bui and Corpsman Baines are going to need to follow in the fall-out truck with Saline, got all that? dismissed.>"

The Private executed a snappy about-face, and dashed off to the enlisted side, where he got into line.

"And that was..?" Marsden asked.

Trung shrugged, "Staff call, Forrestal wants to see me at zero-six, same as you?"

Marsden nodded, "Yes...pardon my asking, but...how many of your men speak english?"

Trung shrugged, "Most of them understand it well enough-at least, to handle really basic stuff like asking for directions or buying groceries, but Only a handfull are really fluent.  Nguyen isn't one of them."  Trung lied.  Nguyen could read, write, and speak seven languages, including Farsi, and do it with very little accent, but he was exceptional.  It was helpful, at times, to let others think they are not being understood by the soldier at the door.

Marsden didn't comment on it further, instead, he changed the subject.  "You were pretty hard on the QM's yesterday, and right in public, too."

Trung shrugged, "I told the truth-they're not much use if they can't tell the difference between 155mm artillery shells and 203 millimeter anti-armour direct-fire-cannon shells, and even less use when they send me Magna Firestar ER PPC coils when I Need Donal Mk 2's in the older-model fit.  Last week, my motorpool got a ten-tonne cargo-trailer loaded with nickel-iron bowling balls, another stacked to the stakes in myomer bundles, bore-evacuators for class-twenty autocannons, three tonnes of nine ply heavy tank tyres, the ones you guys use on your Typhoons, and two trailer-loads of Streak SRM rounds.  I don't have anything that uses that stuff.  Everything but the cargo-trucks is tracked in my outfit, and none of it carries heavy gauss rifles, ultra-class-twenty autocannons, or Streak missile systems.  We've got a care-package due from home around eighteen hundered tonight, should have most of the spares that the Quartermaster Command didn't send.  I already forwarded the stuff we can't use to Forrestal's headquarters for distribution to your tankers."

"what about the PPC coils?" Marsden asked.

Trung shrugged, "Sent them to the airfield, I understand there's a couple of wings of fighters in the Third's aerospace regiment that use Magna Firestars and haven't ever got enough spare parts to stay up and running."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2013, 05:07:33 »
[[Posted 22-08-2006, 23:07:03]]

The two walked down the manicured sidewalk as dawn's fingers pried away the night.  "You're from an old family."  Marsden noted.

Trung looked at the Donegaller quizzically, "Everyone is, I mean, humanity is what, two and a half million years old?"

Marsden chuckled, "Not what I meant, 'Trung', like the Trung Sisters, who rebelled against the Chinese Empire and won back around the middle of the Iron Age."

Trung shrugged, "Going back that far, one finds that half the people with ancestors from Southeast asia have that going for them.  I didn't know my Genealogy was that interesting."

Marsden shrugged, "I got interested when I saw the briefing report-your decision not to surrender after you were authorized was a bit of a surprise.  Most officers would have taken the out."

Trung shrugged, "It wouldn't have been right.  Not there..."  for a moment he smelled charred meat and oily smoke, then it drifted away.  "Not after Happy Valley, and my men wanted to go home, not live out their lives as spit-boys for the Clanners."

Trung said the word 'Home' with a special emphasis that Marsden immediately noticed.  Pieces slid into place-like the former's reluctance to wear his medals, or his 'walking dress' uniform.
The Lyran Alliance wasn't 'Home', and no world in it would ever be, except Kowloon, to Trung.

"You probably should have at least put on the daily-dress for this." Marsden observed. 

This brought a non-committal shrug from Trung.  "I don't see why a BDU is inappropriate for a meeting involving movement orders, and the damn dress monkeysuit doesn't fit, anyway-I haven't had time to go visit a tailor."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2013, 05:07:51 »
[[Posted 26-08-2006, 08:32:50]]

HQ office, 3rd Donegal Regulars...

"...might want to attend a staff meeting in appropriate uniform in the future, Kommandant."  Lt. General Herb Forrestal commented, "I'm going to let it slide this time, but I want to see you in appropriate Blues tomorrow."

Kommandant Trung stood out among the assembled officers as the only man in BDU's.  "Yes, sir." He said it without much enthusiasm.

"Anyway, enough about your appearance.  I'm to inform you that your battalion-hell with it, first things first..."  He smiled, and pulled a sheet out of his pocket.

"Attention!  Marsden, Gunther Hansel Mcleod Proxmire Evan The Fourth, You have demonstrated outstanding personal leadership qualities and brought credit to this command and the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces, in the name of the Archon (and with his signature), you are promoted to Colonel, effective today,  Wednesday, August 12, at Zero-Six hundered hours."  Forrestal's grin was almost malicious, as he reached out, pulled Marsden's Kommandant tabs off, and pinned a pair of Colonel's boards in their place.  "Now, Herr Colonel, I'm about to screw you for all time.  You've been reassigned."

He reached down, and picked up a file-folder, which he opened.  "Colonel, this is your new unit..." He held the folder up, and adjusted his reading glasses.  "...the 551st Panzergrenadier Regiment.  Kommandant Trung, your battalion is being assigned as the first completed battalion of that regiment...which incidentally makes You" he turned and looked at Trung, "it makes you the Supply officer for Colonel Marsden's regiment, the S-4, I believe is how you Ersatz types phrase it.  Welcome to Staff-Land, and be careful what complaints you raise, someone might think you know what you're talking about."  Then the Lt. General gave a jolly laugh.

Trung held his gaze steady-and-straight, per the book-correct Position of Attention.

"At Ease."  Forrestal finally said.   "It was decided that this Regimental Combat Team is to be expanded, that's where your promotion came from, Marsden-we're getting an integrated combined-arms team, (that's you, by the way), and since the {i]Drei Ersatz[/i] was already here... Your Tank battalion and a second battalion of infantry are en-route... screw it, you can't speak at that position.  'Rest'.  Now, any questions?"

"Who are we getting for the Tanks?" Marsden asked.

Forrestal's expression positively beamed.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2013, 05:09:44 »
[[Posted 26-08-2006, 23:38:09]]

Annabelle's Pub, Ft. Ritchie, Donegal...

"...made you the Supply officer.  It doesn't make sense."  Gunther stirred his meat-pie. 

Trung shrugged.  "Well...look at how the LAAF usually assigns officers, sir.  Staff Job, followed by one tour in a combat command, two staffers, then either retirement, or another combat command, wash, rinse, repeat.  We're top-heavy with staff as it is, according to this paperwork Lt. General Forrestal gave us.  We don't need that many bodies in a command-track."

Gunther Marsden, Colonel and commander of the yet-to-be-formed 551st Panzergrenadier Regiment put his fork on the table, and leaned forward intently.  "Do tell." he prompted.

"As far as I can tell, we're going to be dealing with six officers of Kommandant grade rank just to, well... I can't see what they're for- a lot of those jobs should go to Non-Comissioned personnel, I get stuck with eight Hauptmans that basically do nothing but glorified clerking, to supervise less than half a battalion's worth of supply personnel.  I've used Corporals for those jobs before, and Lt. Colonel Huang used mainly Sargeants supervised by a single Leutnant.  Just culling staff-officers we could probably have enough Comissioned personnel to lead two additional Battalions of troops in the field, and still handle all the paperwork we really need done."

Marsden nodded, "You want to get rid of the hangers-on?" he asked.

Trung shrugged, "Maybe-maybe we should see if any of them might make useful Cadre for a garrison-training assignment, something like a reserve to generate replacement troops or a tactical reserve formation we keep in the...ah... 'sundry and assorted costs' until needed."

Marsden frowned, "the additional equipment for something like that will be noticed."

Trung shrugged, "Sure, so we combat-loss some gear, training-loss others, and use duplicate bumper-numbers to hide the real size of the Regiment from the DQ's Auditors.  According to this, we've got a damned big budget...in fact, makes me wonder how come the line regiments are so small, when the Drei was operating at around a quarter the same allotment in Kroner."

Marsden looked over the figures Trung had scribbled out while he was talking.  "What are you planning?" he asked.

Trung tapped a stylus on the table for a moment, then, he said, "We don't need twelve different 'mech types, we need at most, three.  If we pick three good ones, and sell or trade off the ones that aren't the right make, model, and brand, I can reduce the supply costs for the 'mech battalions exponentially-the import gear's a millstone around our necks, we don't need slow-moving siege machines that fall on their metal asses every time they fire their main guns, and we certainly don't need to try and account for seven different calbres of Class-ten ammunition.  The Clantech machines are also a significant problem-we can't get parts for them for love nor money, and machinery breaks.  We can't fix it, we don't need it cluttering up our MTOE and sidelining units that should be field-ready."

Marsden nodded, "Sound logic, but... what about the Tank Battalions?"

Trung grunted.  "Newer, is not necessarily better, sir.  Challengers are slow, they're not compatible with Manticore parts, and neither one is compatible with Rommels or Pattons.  We can cut around eighty percent of our maintenance down by picking one tank design, then using it in quantity.  While the Mantueffel would be nice, they're not exactly flying off the production lines, but we can get Gauss-Rommels for around a third the price of a used Mantueffel, half the price of a Chally, or about twice the price of a Manticore... and I know a supplier that can keep us in running gear, engines, and chassis equipment for a lot less than buying from Defiance Direct's new-old-stock warehouses."

Marsden frowned, "Infantry?"

Trung shrugged, "The Saxon's well-advertised, but it's not a good APC.  First thing we found out fighting the Falcons, was that if your infantry aren't supported, they just die, usually horribly, and usually because the enemy can stand-off at ranges nothing we had could touch...except what Lizzie's IFV's could put out... and we also found out that those fifteen-tonne coffins with the firing ports aren't worth the anfo to blow them to hell agianst a live opponent armed with anything bigger than a 'guage shotgun.  Maxims are good, so're a few other commercially available designs, but they're not compatible mechanically with anything but another Maxim.  Simplify, simplify, simplify-I think you should focus on getting Patton-based IFV's like we use.  It's slower, but on the other hand, once the grunts get out the door, it's tough enough to hang around and puts out enough ranged firepower to give the boys a chance to do their business."

Marsden nodded, "And, if one of the Rommels loses a track and some roadwheels, you've got more spares, right?"

Trung nodded, "Yes, Sir.  We have to expect that some of the machines aren't going to survive-and make damned sure that the ones that do, have replacement parts so that we can sustain operations."

Marsden nodded, "Light vees?" he asked.

Trung leaned back, "Choppers, sir.  anywhere we go, we're probably going in atmo, and that means there's plenty of air to beat into submission."

The Colonel nodded, "Yes, and I see you've already red-lined the Yellowjacket Gunships off the list..."

Trung nodded again.  "Yes sir, I did-slow, easy targets don't provide either good scout info, or good harassment platforms.  Something that's outrun by half the light omnis in the Clan arsenal, while having that damn-vulnerable rotor assembly, and just-enough-gun-to-draw-attention isn't something that is going to do much more than give the enemy some easy target practice.  At what those cost, we can't afford to lose that much just to soothe some half-foreign bastard's ego. I can trade those in for two H-8's on the new market, or three H-7's, and the H-7's a common platform, which means we can get spare parts for cheap, and recruiting mechanics and pilots is easier, lots of people know how to fly it..."

Marsden leaned back, "And how, pray tell, are you going to manage this in the time we have alloted to us?"

Trung favoured his Commander with a grin, "Sir, that's an S-4's Job."

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 27-08-2006, 05:56:22
What a minute, typical Lyran officer track is twice the time in staff as in field command?  Is that backed by source materail?  Sounds like a receipe for too many chiefs, not enough indians to me.  Then again given how bad Lyran field commands to to perform...

Hmm, while I can see the attraction of one common chassis (IIRC your Kowloon Thumper tracks are modified Rommels), doesn't a Patton IFV seem a bit big?  How about the upgraded Goblin, say with a standard Large Laser and twin SRM-4 packs replacing the SRM-6 and LPL?  Under TW rules (since Kowloon doesn't seem to use BA) I'd add a coax SPL for extra squishy frying.
Quote from: Wildfire, 27-08-2006, 06:09:35
It might not be backed by canon material but remmber to be a social general you have to hob nob with 'important people' and as a staff officer you can do that a lot more than out in the field.
Quote from: Cannonshop, 27-08-2006, 07:32:55
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 27-08-2006, 05:56:22
What a minute, typical Lyran officer track is twice the time in staff as in field command?  Is that backed by source materail?  Sounds like a receipe for too many chiefs, not enough indians to me.  Then again given how bad Lyran field commands to to perform...

Hmm, while I can see the attraction of one common chassis (IIRC your Kowloon Thumper tracks are modified Rommels), doesn't a Patton IFV seem a bit big?  How about the upgraded Goblin, say with a standard Large Laser and twin SRM-4 packs replacing the SRM-6 and LPL?  Under TW rules (since Kowloon doesn't seem to use BA) I'd add a coax SPL for extra squishy frying.
Ah, the old files got wiped with the Board reset- I posted the "Patton IFV" some time ago.  PPC, Four tonne infantry bay, lasers eliminated in favour of machineguns, it retained the LRM-5 for use with certain rounds-like smoke, Thunder, etc.
Yes, at 65 tonnes it's neither light, nor c-bills cheap, but there's something like an 80% parts commonality with the Rommel/Patton.  In gameplay, it has worked rather well, and it works to move either leg infantry, or BA.
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 27-08-2006, 12:24:03
Hmm, on common parts APCs there is a infantry variant of the Warrior, listed as gutting an H8 fitting a pair of (heavy?) MGs and sinking the rest into a troop bay.  Downside, I'm not sure how much commanility there is between the H7 and H8, and unless you are in some's hip pocket you aren't a threat, your basic flying battletaxi.  The new Karnov in 3058 is a better platform (fusion engine, twin nose ER Mediums, jammer, 8 ton troop bay), but that gets you into the 'extra platform' you are trying to avoid.

Be interesting to see how much leway Colonel Marsden and Kommandant Trung organzing the 551st, how are you planning to set them up in terms of the mix of armor and infantry battalions?

AFAICT your trying to pare an RCT down to three classes of mech, one armor/IFV/artillery chassis (counting the Patton and Rommel as variants based on a common chassis and drivetrain), and one VTOL design.  Going with one fighter design, like a Vietmin or Stingray?  I'd suggest the Eisenstrum but even if that's all the LA is producing and it is a damn fine fighter, it is still an expensive beast.
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 28-08-2006, 15:18:26
Hmm, according to 3058U Lockheed has switched over to H8 production, but IIRC might do parts and limited production runs of the H7 on request.  OTOH from my experience in the automotive industry 'out of production' means spares are farmed out to a legacy group or outside supplier.  Espically with the Sphere in flames from the Jihad I can see some enterprising soul picking up the production line for the H7, those things tend to be recycled or sold rather than scrapped.

As for the trash details, reminds me of one of my dad's stories, about an unfortunant Lt. and his drunken comment about the base CO, a Col. Custer...

BTW what are your three mech designs?  I can see a light scout/scimisher, a medium cav design, like the Light Fusion Engine Griffen, and a heavy/assault beat stick.  What particular designs do you want for the 551st?

Edit: Just noticed the Starslayer is built in Lyran space, though I don't know how Loxley has made out (So far) in the Jihad.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2013, 05:11:09 »
[[Posted 28-08-2006, 13:37:05]]

HQ, 3rd Donegal Regulars...

Lt. General Forrestal looked at the data-transfers, and then, he looked up at his guest.  "That boy's a proper-allocation-of-resources, alright.  Milord, when do we drop the hammer on them?"

the Archon leaned back, "We wait until they're ready to go.  What makes you think this is going to be a hammer-drop?"

Forrestal turned the screen to share the data.  "No unique capabilities, damned few specialized units, so there's no surprise equipment-tricks to pull.  The armoured-vehicle draws limit their ground-speed to sixty-five KPH tops, but he's not taking any ultra-heavy weapons platforms.  In fact, he's shuffling them off in trade for stuff that's almost Militia grade...they won't be fast, and they aren't heavy enough to be so slow."

Peter Steiner-Davion looked over the figures.  "indeed.  So...slow.  Hmm...he doesn't like the Yellowjackets...or the Fafnirs."  He tilted the screen back, "He also doesn't seem to care for the Glory.  I'd say we're getting a very Davion look to this unit."

Forrestal nodded, "Aye, Milord, a Davion look, except slower, and lighter-armoured.  Supplying them will be a traipse, though-everything has something it can scrounge off of."

Peter nodded, "I wonder how he talked Marsden into letting that Summoner go into the supply system, and how he convinced him to take...this is interesting.  Colonel Marsden's new ride looks like...oh...I get it.  No Clan equipment, nothing made overseas either, and nothing that needs imported parts or components that come out of only one or two factories domestically."

Forrestal shrugged, "We need some of those imports, especially with the condition of Tharkad and Alarion."

Peter nodded, "Yes, we do-but with the Word of Blake hitting shipping, attacks on our Clan border, and the communication problems, it looks like your man Trung is trying to build on the idea that he's going to have to supply under constrained condtions.  I wish we had more of that kind of thinking to begin with-on the other hand, if we had, Aunt Nondi might've been able to hold me off."

Forrestal nodded, "SHe might, at that-how many of those units wound up retiring from the field because they couldn't make repairs fast enough when you bulled through Tharkad's defenses?"

Peter counted his fingers thoughtfully for a moment-"Most of them."

"So...what's his plan?"  Forrestal asked rhetorically.

"Same one his Duchess came up with when I told her to hand over forces for the LAAF... he's trying to build the best strategic unit he can for the lowest Kroner cost to maintain."  Peter said after a moment.  "H-7's...I didn't know Lockheed was still making those."

Forrestal nodded.  "I've got transfer requests out of the Panzergrenadiers-they haven't even been activated yet."

Peter nodded, "Who?"

Forrestal sighed, and handed the list over.  "Long list..."  Peter commented.

The Lt. General nodded, "Indeed... lots of Officers don't want to go, I've got complaints because they're being 'assigned inappropriately', and that clap-trap."

Peter nodded, "Lots of second-sons here, noble scions and that sort...you've cross-ref'ed their backgrounds?"

Forrestal chuckled, "I did, indeed.  Most of these guys haven't been anywhere, or done anything since they were Cadets."

"They don't like Marsden?" Peter asked.

Forrestal shook his head, "No complaints about Marsden, they're bitching about Trung, and that Intel officer, Kreidner."

Peter frowned, "Jeff Kreidner's a good man, what's their beef with him?"

Forrestal's frown folded into a chuckle.  "They don't like, apparently, being written up for breaking light-and-noise discipline at night, Coms discipline in daylight, Information Security in Garrison, and they especially don't like having to report to HQ where and when, and with whom, they go off-post... and Kommandant Lestrange has already threatened to resign over having his visit to his mistress interrupted by an unscheduled Alert drill.  Came and whined at me Personally."

The Archon couldn't hold back the giggle, which turned into a laugh.  "Pictures?" he asked.

Forrestal nodded, "Kreidner sent 'em with the after-action-report, including comments on the good Kommandant's failure to employ proper field-techniques in concealing the location and identity of his...ah... 'unauthorized contact'.  The man was quite put-out over that-seems he feels that LeStrange did it so sloppily as a personal challenge.  I have to tell you, Milord, she's quite-the-porker, An officer with a wife that looks like his, sneaking out for downtime with a horse-face like that..."  at this point, even Forrestal couldn't contain his mirth.

Peter's ribs hurt from the laughing.  "As they say, Ugly girls need love too...still, it was a breach of security.  I take it you're letting Marsden handle that?"

Forrestal nodded, "Yes Milord... I'm letting Marsden handle the issue, and he seems to think that LeStrange should be transferred to another unit, one more, ah... 'suited to his temperament'.  The recommendation the Colonel has submitted is for reassignment to the Post Maintenance detail."

Peter gawked a moment, "Trash-picking detail?"

Forrestal nodded, and then, he said, "The good Kommandant will be in the company of his peers, I think...they've already got two other Kommandants, Four Hauptmans, six Leutnants, and a Leutnant Colonel, assigned to post-maintenance, walking around the grounds with bright-orange litter bags and those little sticks with the spike on the end."

"That would match this list of transfer requests?"  Peter asked.

Forrestal nodded, "Name for name."

both men cracked up again, in helpless giggling, the General sobered first.  "Do we approve the requests?"

Peter thought for a moment.  "Politically, it would be a good idea to put a stop to having well-connected officers from important families being humiliated like that...as a soldier, I find it hilarious, but yes, we need to transfer them...somewhere.  Preferably harmless, good-looking positions where they'll be far from trouble."

"So...the question is, where?" Forrestal asked.

"That is a tricky question."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2013, 05:11:31 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 28-08-2006, 19:07:32]]

Tharkad, 08/12/3076

The 3rd battalion of the 4th Royals slammed into the left flank of the Blakist lines Kommandant Corrine Thompsen opened fire on the lead Toyama with her Battlemaster's Gauss rilfle. "All Units take him down." The rest of the battalion opened fire raining death upon the hapless Toyama. Then the artillery from the 4th's Support regiments began to fall behind the Blakists. Kommandant Thompsen opened a channel. "Anvil- six Actual to Hammer. Let it rain." The WoB didn't stand a chance.

"Hammer to Anvil -six Actual, Here comes the whrilwind. Call for checkfire when ready."  Thompsen replied.
"Hammer, wilco." She switched channels. "Anvils...crush them." The 3rd worked it's fire over the WoB units taking light casualties. There was no question of the result.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2013, 05:12:23 »
[[Posted 28-08-2006, 22:22:30]]

HQ, 551st Panzergrenadier Regiment, Donegal...

Trung was ass-deep in paperwork when a knock at the door distracted him.  "Come." he called out, without looking up.

"Ahem."  Trung looked up.  Cu'ong was standing in the doorway.  "Hey, Sir.  You're running out of time.  They're on the move.  on the way."  The clock behind his right shoulder showed 0530.

"They're coming soon, sir, and if you're not careful, you'll be joining us real soon now."

"Cu'ong?  who-?"  the doorway filled with bright, searing light, and a hot wind.

Trung sat up.  The door to the office was closed, the clock read 0345 hours.  Another nightmare...  He set the paperwork aside.  Just another nightmare.  shit, I need some sleep...in a bed.

Trung closed out the files, locked his data-systems down, and walked out of the office.

There was something wrong with the door, when he pulled it closed, something wet, and sticky.

He smelled blood, and the stink of jungle-mud.  "Sir, you better pull the alert."  Cu'ong's voice came from his left, Trung looked over, the dead Hauptmann was sitting in Corporal Nguyen's chair, feet on the desk, hands behind his head, rotting face in an expressionless grimace. 

"why?" Trung asked.

"You need to pull it.  I can't, but if you don't, a lot of guys are going to be joining me, real soon."  the corpse took its feet off the desk, and pointed at Trung's chest, "Maybe you.  I never gave you a word that wasn't true, did I sir?"

Trung's hands  went to the terminal, he typed in an override code, brought up a menu, and hit the emergency-alert.

Sirens went off all over the Regiment's cantonment...just as a bright light flashed ten kilometers away, and the windows on the east side of the building powderized.

The jungle stink was gone, as troops poured out of their billets and rushed to their emergency stations.

Another actinic green flash came down on a building outside-the barracks for the new-formed 2nd Battalion.

Colonel Marsden appeared, running through the door to the Headquarters' orderly room.  "******, I'm glad to see you! Come on!  The Planet's under siege, Kommandant."  Trung dropped his hand from the terminal, and followed the Colonel out the door.  "Good presence of mind to wake the men before they hit us-that strike on the barracks would've gotten a lot of men-how'd you know they were coming?"

"...I didn't.  I had a nightmare."  Trung confessed, numbly. 

"Damn useful nightmare, Kommandant, let's get the boys together, and find out where the enemy's coming down."

They made it out the door of the building and around the corner of an engineered barrier when the next round hit, flattening the structure.  Overhead, the distant sound of an aerospace fighter breaking mach told Trung where the blast had come from.

"No air cover."  Trung commented, and Marsden nodded, "Right-bang there, they hit the airfield first-must've been capital grade, or maybe a tac-nuke.  Good thing the Archon was already offworld..."

A private handed Trung his flak-vest, and a helmet-com.  He smelled jungle again.  Marsden was looking at him, and Trung saw it in the distance-man-shaped, bulky, coming.  His hands had a will of their own, grabbing the Colonel and throwing him to the dirt as a flash of ruby light speared by, inches away.  He felt a crisping heat, and the material of his vest smoked at the near-miss.

"Sir, I suggest we get you to your 'mech.  The enemy's Over there" he pointed south, at the approaching battlemech-which had another, and another, and another. 

Marsden looked down the street for a moment, and muttered something, then, he stood up, and sprinted North-for the hangars.

"Corporal Nguyen-make sure the Colonel reaches his 'mech, take your fireteam with you.  Private Li, Private Klein, you're with me."  Trung barked.

"Where are we going?"  Klein asked.

"Rally the second battalion, and set up a minefield on the south side to buy time for the heavy units to get organized."

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 29-08-2006, 05:50:57
Hmm, so much for the problem oscifers transfering out.  They ain't leaving with this kind of shit flying, so I'm betting on them shapping up, or as the Kowleense put it they might 'fall off the boat'...

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2013, 05:12:45 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 30-08-2006, 21:41:25]]

Mechbay, 551st Panzergrenadier Area.

Colonel Gunther Marsden hustled up the chain ladder and slid into the cockpit of his Battlemaster. Five years ago it had been brand new. Now it was well cared for but had been worked hard. He pulled the neurohelmet on and made sure all the connecting cables for comms, vitals and interface were plugged in by feel as his tech dogged the hatch closed. He entered his command code then gave his voice print authentication. This took less than sixty seconds. The Battlemaster was ready to fight. He moved slowly out of the mechbay and joined the fight.

Minutes later...

Marsden opened a channel to his XO/2nd battalion Commander. There was not time to set up an SOI so he used the emergency one. "Tiger-six to Cobra-six, Lima-Bravo." Small arms fire spanged off the B-mer's armor. " Scrape the crunchies off..I have heavys on the way." Dammit Trung, you had better not have gotten yourself killed. He waded forward covering his conventional forces and buying time for more of his mech units to join him.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2013, 05:13:07 »
[[Posted 31-08-2006, 22:42:41]]

The South Side...

Most Lyran commanders wouldn't bother sending scout elements in this situation-the enemy was, quite plainly, Right There.  Trung ordered a group of "Post" regulars to hand over the keys to their trucks to a pair of confused Aviators, and a squad each of scout-snipers.  "You, head west, you, East, I want to know if they're either sending in flankers, or trying to make an encirclement-and I want to know it, before they do it."

The airstrike had gotten some of the senior personnel-particularly the transfer-officers who hadn't been on Mississauga with the Drei.  "Leutnant Cheung, you're temporarily a Hauptmann, get C- company dug in at the corner of Dieks and McDougall,  you're our western flank security element until the ****** Third Battalion is off their asses...You, RTO, come here-you're from Leutnant Schnappein's platoon?"

The scared looking PFC nodded.  "Great, you work for me directly- Wu, you're going to interface for our esteemed german Leutnant with his platoon, seeing as Sgt. Reick is no longer among the living, and orders not understood are as bad as orders not given.  Anyone have a count on how many Company commanders we actually have alive..?"  Trung was in overdrive, and he smelled something.

"Hauptmann Win's alive, he's getting the FSB up." a Sargeant named "Dickinson" said, lapsing into Viet, instead of the English he'd spent two years learning. 

"Good...good, RTO, get me the Battery's net on the horn,  Corporal Diem, get me a ****** updated map, and someone tell me why you're all standing the ****** around?"

People moved.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2013, 05:13:26 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 31-08-2006, 23:11:30 ]]

Near the mechbay..

Leutnant Henrik Kruger gunned his Rommel to signal his troops to move. He was the senior remaining officer in his company. Hailing from New Capetown he spoke Affrikaans better than German but could make him self understood.Agg Taffy nosed Rooineks! Shrapnel from HE shells splanged off his turret glacis. The four remaining tanks were a mix of Rommel Gauss and Patton E5 variants. His radio scanned the tac channels he caught snippets of comms chatter.

He pulled his tank near a pile of rubble that used to be a barracks. The pile of cinder blocks and twisted metal provided a good place to defilade his armor and support the battered 551st.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2013, 05:13:44 »
[[Posted 31-08-2006, 23:50:32]]

North of the 'Mechbay...

Hauptmann Huk-Li-Win looked over a plot of the base-and where enemy concentrations had already been called in.  Then, he glanced at the FSB's status-board.  All sixteen tubes were "up" and reading green.

The Battalion plots for the Regimental arty were still mostly red-and-yellow, crews either caught off-post, or in their bunks, or too green to understand what to do.

2nd Battalion's artillery battery was, however, ready for action-or would be, as soon as the call for fire came in.

"Isn't this familiar?" Sgt. Mao asked, leaning on her console. 

"Entirely too familiar...have we got a com to either first or second?" he asked quietly.

"Negative sir, we can't get through their jamming."

He frowned,  "Anybody?" he asked.

"We're getting something on commercial CB-truckers on the highway are calling in sightings to the police..." Mao said.

He rubbed his hands together.  "Good enough, let's plot some shots-start triangulating."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2013, 05:14:29 »
[[Posted 01-09-2006, 10:01:50]]

Third wasn't a Battalion anymore. Panic and Rout had taken hold.  It started, like most of those things start, with a single man.  In this case, a Sargeant born on Ludwigshafen.  Sargeant Peter Gudrov rose to his rank keeping protesters in line, maxing his PT scores,  and being a relatively good eisenfiest for his Feudal overlord.  As a tax-collector, he excelled, but...

This wasn't tax-collection, or shoving the Proles into line.  These opponents were shooting at him.

He let go of the controls on the Heavy Needler he'd been so loathe to give up, unsnapped the exoskeletal gyro-support unit that allowed a single man to carry the weight of the Firedrake, crawled out of it, and dashed madly down 3rd Avenue.  It was, in a sad way, understandable-Sargeant Gudrov's platoon had just been raked by pulse-laser fire, many of their splendid, impressive, LAAF-issue uniforms sporting charred holes leading deep into newly-stilled organs.  They weren't equipped for this kind of fighting, either mentally, or physically.

Gudrov made it fifty yards when a pair of IFV's rounded the corner of Meridian and 3rd, and infantry from the 2nd Battalion's Alpha company spilled out.
 " làm xong một việc gì!" someone shouted, Gudrov fled for the safety of the tanks, the survivors of his company at his back.

He rounded the corner of one of the vehicles, and the next thing he saw, was a rifle-butt, right before the world went black.

"Idiots... Tham, these guys, they speak German, get on the loudspeakers, tell them that they can fight the enemy, or they can be shot by us.  If they fight, we will help them, but if they run, they're dead.  Chuan, punctuate it with a burst over their heads."  Lt. Pham barked the order.

Tham Hoa, Sargeant and veteran of Mississauga, nodded, and keyed the loudspeakers of the lead IFV.

"Wenn Sie kämpfen, konnten Sie leben, wenn Sie laufen, wir schießen Sie, und Sie sterben."

PFC Chuan backed this up with a single burst from a pintle-mounted 14.7mm machinegun.

Quote from: Damage Inc., 01-09-2006, 12:01:52
very nice.  only i dont speak a lick of viet or german.  translation please?
Quote from: Axeman89, 01-09-2006, 12:15:34
Quote from: Cannonshop, 01-09-2006, 10:01:50
"Wenn Sie kämpfen, konnten Sie leben, wenn Sie laufen, wir schießen Sie, und Sie sterben."
I speak about 3/4s of a lick of German. It says something like, "If you fight, you can live, if you run, we shoot you, and you die."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2013, 05:15:12 »
[[Posted 03-09-2006, 08:44:17]]

Someone had a bright idea-the land-lines were laid in typical Lyran fashion between the buildings-they still worked-even with the heavy jamming that the enemy was putting out.

Trung called the Artillery Park, and got through to Hauptmann Win.  "...coordinates 53421 by 652106, I want a time-on-target mixed airburst and bouncers, got that?  Follow on with AP and Cluster after three shots, then ready for marching fire, I want to push them back up Third Avenue to the intersection with the Highway. Begin bombardment in two minutes-A and C companies are moving to backstop Third Battalion, I want to give 'em time to get into position."

"Understood.  Should I go ahead and run a ten-twenty-eight? we've got some civvie broadcasts pointing to their landers..." Win asked.

Trung gave it a moment's thought, "Hold that ten-twenty-eight, I want it confirmed before we risk lighting up our reinforcements or shelling some empty fields-or worse, some civvie neighbourhoods."

"Also understood.  Any contact with First Battalion, or the Headquarters Company yet?"

Trung sighed, "Nothing solid-Delta Third sent a runner up here, but until the scout troops find that Jammer, we've got no radio contact with HQ or 1st Battalion."

"Damn, sounds like Biloxi all over again... Thirty Seconds to shot, we've got contact with the RegArty, they're still trying to find their asses with both hands.  Permission to hand over to Leutnant Phong, and go straighten our beloved commander's guns?"

Trung nodded slowly, a gesture his subordinate couldn't see.  "Go to it, if necessary, relieve Kommandant Moisin with extreme cement overshoes-we need those tubes up and running shell, not crubbing in confusion while our 'experts' are looking for a sharpened pencil."

"Shots away, I'm handing off to Leutnant Phong now, splash in ten."

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 03-09-2006, 13:17:10
Quote from: Cannonshop, 03-09-2006, 08:44:17
Trung nodded slowly, a gesture his subordinate couldn't see.  "Go to it, if necessary, relieve Kommandant Moisin with extreme cement overshoes-we need those tubes up and running shell, not crubbing in confusion while our 'experts' are looking for a sharpened pencil."
Man, what'd the fishes ever do to deserve having that inflicted upon them?  ;D
Quote from: chanman, 03-09-2006, 13:46:55
Between the method of removing incompetant supeirors and their methods for preventing allied routs, ol' Darth Vadie would feel right at home here - well, once we get over the Lord thingy and get him some more practical gear  ^-^
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 03-09-2006, 13:59:51
OTOH if the 551st survives this they will have the kinks and dead wood shaken out, with extreme prejudice in necessary.
Quote from: Cannonshop, 03-09-2006, 22:39:21
[out of story]
Quote from: chanman, 03-09-2006, 13:46:55
Between the method of removing incompetant supeirors and their methods for preventing allied routs, ol' Darth Vadie would feel right at home here - well, once we get over the Lord thingy and get him some more practical gear  ^-^

Remember, these guys don't want to be here.  Being forced to go someplace and fight for someone else tends to make one cranky.  Being agglomerated into a unit with people one doesn't really respect tends to make one harsh.  Because they've been convinced that it's the only "Right" thing to do (for the sake of their homeworld, families, and the things they actually care about), they're going to be VERY cranky.  This doesn't mean they're not competent, it means that the competence is going to express itself in some rather harsh ways. 

Darth wouldn't 'get it'-because the Dark Side actually revels in measures the boys are using because they've been backed into a corner they didn't want to see, by circumstances they can't control, in a place they don't want to be, for people they don't even know.

Empirials volunteer hoping to get the chance to bash some heads and grind people down.  Kowloonese had to be drafted by the Archon, then 'sold' on the necessity.

Vader wouldn't like them at all.

Quote from: Axeman89, 03-09-2006, 17:16:55
Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 03-09-2006, 13:17:10
Man, what'd the fishes ever do to deserve having that inflicted upon them?  ;D

About right for describing the most likely role Militias have on most CBT planets.

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 03-09-2006, 13:59:51
OTOH if the 551st survives this they will have the kinks and dead wood shaken out, with extreme prejudice in necessary.

If they survive this, they can officially say they've had a Bad Day.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2013, 05:15:34 »
[[Posted 04-09-2006, 23:03:51]]

"...national Emergency gripped the realm, and when that happened, the weakened state of the LAAF forced the Archon to order the nationalization of Planetary Militia.  The formations raised were termed "Ersatz" regiments-they were only an emergency measure until the Regular forces could be restored.  Most of these 'Ersatz' units, formed from troops of wildly variable quality, turned out to be horribly out-classed, both through lack of training in actual combat, and what might be called a certain...lack of fighting spirit.  The latter is completely understandable given the politics of the Lyran state at the time- the best recruits from most worlds had already gone into LAAF service, or had gone off with Mercenary units years before, what remained on most worlds, were what amounts to the personal bully-boys and riot-police of local nobles, often minor nobles, and thugs hired for their intimidation factor.
The result of this variable (mostly bad) quality could be seen in the first years of the War-the Ersatz regiments were indeed horrible, routing and breaking to the right, and the left, sometimes extorting from the worlds they were assigned to protect, only to flee at the first engagements or collapse through poor leadership, bad training, and a lack of proper equipment.

Some of the Ersatz regiments weren't as poor as the others-indeed, some worlds provided excellent, but previously overlooked, cannon-fodder to act as a caltrop in the path of the Alliance's many enemies.  The 123rd Zhongshan Volunteers, who held out for three months against Clan invaders before being wiped out,  the 12th Inarcs Armoured,(destroyed to a man by orbital bombardment after four months) the 69th Mainstreet Infantry (Provisional, sustained guerilla fighting against the Word of Blake forces for six years),  the New Kyoto Foot Cuirassiers (Three years along the Wolf front), all served above and beyond what any reasonable expectation could have predicted.  Indeed, when Military analysts look at the accomplishments of these Ersatz forces, the Kowloon situation is clearly not one of uniqueness.  That is, save for one respect: Between 3070, and 3081, Six Million Kowloonese served under the colours of Ersatz regiments, on fronts from Freedom, to Donegal, to Arc-Royal.  Of those, three million did not return home as more than bottles of ash, sometimes not even as that..."

-Luther Dinesen, The Great Tribulation, Asgard Publishing, 3091

HQ, 3rd Donegal Regulars...
"...do we have an Identity on the attacking forces or not?"  General Forrestal demanded. 

"Sir, reports are still pretty scrambled, but they're fielding a lot of new machines-and using a LOT of electronic warfare gear."  Colonel Franz Kleizt was nervous.

"What about landings, do we know where all they've put down?"  Forrestal asked.

"They've put down across the map, sir-we've got attacks on six cities and five military bases, including the training base being used by the 551st."  the Intel colonel stated, bringing up a display.

"How soon can we mount a counter-attack, Larry."  Forrestal turned and looked at his Chief of Staff.

"Well... we had most of the units on a stand-down, a lot of men on passes...the 2nd Regiment's already been recalled, but they're filtering slowly..."

"Our pants are down, that's what you're saying- I take it a lot of our men were about in those towns?"  Forrestal asked.

"Yes sir."  Lawrence Duncan said, casting his eyes at the table.

"Fine, get what we can, I don't care if you have to put the ****** Maintenance techs in those 'mechs, find who you can, where you can.  We not only aren't going to try and cut a run, but we wouldn't make it out if we did."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2013, 05:15:55 »
[[Posted by Deathrider6, 04-09-2006, 23:42:14]]

Near the 551st Panzergreandier Cantonment.

Colonel Gunther Marsden walked his Battlemaster through the maze of ruined buildings that were once the barracks and suppoort facilites for his regiment. He had a mixed company of mechs with him. The jamming limited comms between units to line of sight, laser of hand signals so thing were confused. As marsden rounded a corner he was greeted by a WoB Ostscout with a couple of Shadowhawks in tow.

Marsden laid his targeting reticule on the Ostscout and fired his Gauss rifle. The slug put the Ostscout down hard and it lay still it's escorts began to fire back. He made sure the Ostscout was dead while his other units returned fire. He then ducked back around the corner and checked the comms. Still jammed.

A few moments later...

The two shadowhawks were put down but not without cost. Two tanks went up in smoke and a mech was lost. Marsden had rejoined the brief engagement and half off his gauss ammo was gone. He needed to find the jammers so he could call in the artillery. Time was not on his side.

Leutnant Kruger's position at the same time...

Kruger wathed as the enemy closed. He waited with his tank platoon their engines on standby. They communcated via IR signal lights and a prearranged ambush plan. A WoB Toyama got just close enough. His tanks opend fire staggering the Toyama longenough for the infantry and artillery to finish it off.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2013, 05:16:17 »
[[Posted 05-09-2006, 13:23:01]]

Dunheel, 22Km South of the 551st...

"Bloody hell.  Charlie, take a look at this?"  Emma Wallace was at the window, looking north.  "They're not doin' wargames on a Saturday night..?"

Charles, a Sixty-eight year old veteran who'd settled down as a carpenter after the War of 39, came to the window.  He watched the flashes.  "Not war-games, get the girls and our grandchildren into the cellar, and don't come out until I come for you, that's a good lass."  He reached for the telephone, and dialed Paulsie Murphy's place.

"Paulsie? Yah, look t' your north, I think we're being invaded-no, I've not been drinking, I'm serious.  Ah... oh-okay.  The Park? Half an hour? Works.  I'll see you and the lads there."

He went to the closet, and dusted off a few things that he'd kept from...well, a long time ago.

"Grandfather? Where are you going? can I come too?"  Arthur was ten.

Charles turned, and gave his youngest grandson a stern look.  "Go downstairs, lock the door, keep an eye on Gram and your mum for me.  It's got dangerous now, and I need you t'be a brave boy, there's a good lad."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2013, 05:17:12 »
[[Posted 05-09-2006, 19:25:51]]

Regimental Artillery position...

The situation was worse than Win had feared.  Kommandant Speer and his COS Hauptmann Todt were in deep denial.  "We simply Can't get the guns laid in any sooner than half an hour."  Speer insisted.

Win's sigh somehow echoed like a thunderstorm.  The troops from 2nd Battalion's support section stood flanking the artillery team's staff.   "What is the problem?"  Win asked quietly.

"The fire-direction network is down, and the software-" the Kommandant said, half-turning to the console.

"Are you telling me, you can not plot an artillery shot manually?" Win asked, "Wasn't that at your Artillery course at the famed Nagelring?"

The Kommandant rounded on the smaller man, "Nobody plots those things manually anymore!"

Win Frowned deeper, looked at his escort, troops who were still on the 'sick list' and had been attatched to the 2nd Battalion's FSB as drivers and loaders.

"  đặt thành vấn đề nghi ngờ, Kommandant Speer,  nghi ngờ tính lương thiện của ai." Corporal Danh muttered.

"What did that man say?" Speer demanded.

Win smiled thinly, "Kommandant, under the authority of the Executive Officer and Acting commander of the supporting elements of the five-hundered fifty-first Panzergrenadier Regiment, I am authorized to relieve you of your command, You are under arrest, if you choose to resist arrest, Corporal Danh, or one of his men, will shoot you in the head, do you understand, Kommandant?"
He turned and looked at Hauptmann Todt, "You have five minutes to get those guns into action, Hauptmann, the base is under attack by unknown enemy forces, if you are not up in four minutes, fifteen seconds, I will have you shot, and the next man in line will have two minutes, and we will persist until either those guns are in action, firing, and firing accurately, or there are no more Crews, you have three minutes."

"You ca-can't do this!" Speer blustered.

Win regarded the Artillery officer blandly.  "You may file the appropriate charges at a later time, if you are still alive."

Speer reached for his sidearm, and Danh reacted by catching his hand, and twisting it until the bones made an audible "Pop".

" tiêu diệt Kommandant Speer." Win said coldly. <Kill off Kommandant Speer.>

Danh nodded, placed the Kommandant's own sidearm against the side of his head, and fired a single round.  Blood and hair and gray matter fountained across the fire-direction centre in a cone, spattering Hauptmann Todt and a couple of enlisted men at the consoles. 

The Hauptmann stared at Win, his mouth working like a fish.  "Hauptmann, the clock is running.  Get those guns laid in and firing."  Win said, hoping like hell his own horror was safely hidden from the man he faced.  Todt's frozen stance shifted to frantic activity.

Corporal Danh reached into the back pocket of his uniform, drew out a long handkerchief wrapped in plastic, and began wiping the late Kommandant from his hands, and his face, occasionally favouring the FDC's crew with a whithering glare.

" lợn vào tuổi này giết thịt chưa được tốt." Private Huk commented from the back of the room.<Pigs don't kill well at that age.>  two of the detail chuckled grimly at the black humour.

Well... this is going to be a career killer.  I wonder if I'll get life in prison, or just a nice, quick execution? Win wondered silently, as batteries began reporting that they were emplaced and ready.

Quote from: Trace_Coburn, 06-09-2006, 01:32:21
Quote from: Cannonshop, 05-09-2006, 19:25:51
"  đặt thành vấn đề nghi ngờ, Kommandant Speer,  nghi ngờ tính lương thiện của ai." Corporal Danh muttered.

"What did that man say?" Speer demanded.
Sounded like "Thanks for volunteering to be an 'inspirational example'!" to me....  :P

Win smiled thinly, "Kommandant, under the authority of the Executive Officer and acting commander of the supporting elements of the Five-hundred Fifty-First Panzergrenadier Regiment, I am authorized to relieve you of your command.  You are under arrest; if you choose to resist arrest, Corporal Danh, or one of his men, will shoot you in the head.  Do you understand, Kommandant?"
He turned and looked at Hauptmann Todt. "You have five minutes to get those guns into action, Hauptmann.  The base is under attack by unknown enemy forces; if you are not up in four minutes, fifteen seconds, I will have you shot, and the next man in line will have two minutes, and we will persist until either those guns are in action, firing, and firing accurately, or there are no more crews!  You have three minutes."
And the LAAF's "Continuing Education" programme for Social Generals comes back to that perennial wartime classic, The New Spanish Inquisition - Abridged Edition.  O0
But, uh, is Win deliberately over-shortening the available time-window with each mention (as a ploy), or is more time passing here than should be in a face-to-face conversation?  Because the deadline goes from 5:00 to 4:15 to 3:00 in the space of what is more-or-less a half-minute speech....   :-\

"lợn vào tuổi này giết thịt chưa được tốt." Private Huk commented from the back of the room.  <Pigs don't kill well at that age.>
Vietnamese for "pour encourager les autres", perhaps?  ;)
Quote from: Weirdo, 06-09-2006, 05:21:18
I think this is a classic textbook example of that one Twisted Sister song, "We're Not Gonna Take It".   >:D

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2013, 05:18:08 »
[[Posted 07-09-2006, 22:58:14]]

The Lads of Dunheel were gathering in the park.  This retirement/bedroom community contained probably the largest number of LCAF, AFFC, and LAAF veterans, taken as a percentage, of any township in fifteen light years.
Most of them being over the age of fifty.

"Harry."  Charles said, stepping off the bus.  "Chuckie, Paulsie and Wonkowski are over there-ye brought it with?"

Charles hefted his kit, a relic of the old days.  "Yah, Who's got th' heavy stuff?"

Harry Morton gestured at a pair of farm trucks parked nearby, "Who else? Jones the Paranoid, down from 'is hidey-hole with the other bush-vet psychos.  SRMs and Mortars mostly.  Simms turned up with a couple of Support machineguns, though."

A van screeched over the sidewalk, and rooster-tailed dirt.  On the side it said  "Dave Porter, excavations and building demolitions."  The paint-job was done with household latex and spray-paint.  "Looks like Dave's brought the pent, and the caps."  Charles noted.  Porter, a long-haired, bushy, often smelly ape of a man with full (often singed) beard, bounded out of the driver's side, and threw the slider open. 

"Christmas, DAVE, That shit's unstable!" someone shouted, and Porter waved extravagantly,  "No Worries!" He shouted back.

"I guess we get together some squads and come up wi' a plan now..."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2013, 05:18:33 »
[[Posted 08-09-2006, 08:11:08]]

Command position, 2nd Battalion, 551st...

"...understood.  Do what you can."  Trung handed the reciever to his RTO, and turned back to the map.   "Speer's dead, we've got artillery up, Alpha and Charlie are holding and Bravo's moved into position.  Our weakest link is..."  He frowned, and circled a point on the map to the west, "Here, on Division Boulevard south of 23rd.  Chiang, take a platoon of engineers, and blow the Division Boulevard bridge, then mine the eastern bank and take up an OP, use the telephone interchange at the Post Exchange-If I can see this, they can."

"What about Colonel Marsden? What about the Battlemech forces?"  Leutnant Stahl, an Aeropilot without a fighter, asked.

"We've had reports from the east-flank, they're busy pushing back a penetration.  The Colonel is fighting, like a common grunt, instead of commanding.  When he finds time to take command, I'll be very happy to hand it back over."  Trung said it icily,  and added, "In the meantime, Leutnant, I need you to practice some of that Officer's Training and round up auxiliary and supply/support personnel to keep our line-dogs in the fight, and supervise teams to look for additional supporting assets-there was, If I recall, a shipment of Martens that weren't uncrated in Motorpool 3... Get some mechanics, and get those choppers assembled and ready to fly.  we can use those as relays for laser-tightbeam comms, cut through this gawdawful jamming."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2013, 05:19:04 »
[[Posted 09-09-2006, 07:51:16]]

HQ Company, 3rd Battalion, 551st Panzergrenadier

The headquarters for the Third was a mess-Kommandant Phipps had been off-post when the attack came, and so was still off-post.  Frances LeStrange couldn't take it anymore.  "Gottdammit, Hauptmann Lehr, I don't care if you're waiting for Kommandant Phipps, he's Not Coming.  I outrank you, and I'm telling you, you gottdammed will get your Company off its arse and on the line,  Leutnant Fanning, you are the ever-****** senior officer of your Company, you do NOT need to be here, you need to be in command of that disorganized mob you call a command. Hauptmann Davies, if you don't get me a clear channel to the other Battalions, and that rusty pile of crap you call an artillery battery up and running, I will Replace your lazy ****** ass.

Forty days of commanding post-trash details had pushed LeStrange quite near the edge of his patience.  Leutnant Colonel Milne was curled up in a broom closet, wrapped around a bottle and whining like an infant, and third battalion's command structure was either absent or doing much the same-when they weren't doing useless things to look busy.  Thus, the job was open, and while it wasn't a safe, friendly staff billet, someone needed to do it.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2013, 05:19:34 »
[[Posted 09-09-2006, 10:03:09]]

[sidebar]Snapshot

The battle of Dunheel, as it is called locally, should have been a total victory for the Word of Blake.  The assigned unit was attacking a Regiment that was still in the process of forming.  The Blakist forces had superior communications, superior equipment, a definite plan of action, and the advantage of surprise against an enemy that was poorly coordinated and, at least on paper, inadequately armed and undermanned.

While the outcome was, in the end, far from an Operational victory for the Blakists, the actions taken by the acting Executive Officer and men loyal to him were so extreme that several members of the 2nd Battalion were tried later and found guilty of numerous crimes, including mutiny, and Murder.  At the trial, Lt. Colonel Nicholas Trung was handed his final humiliation, when the Courts-Martial board agreed with his appointed advocate that he was mentally incapacitated enough to be acquitted by reason of insanity.  Of the nine officers brought up on charges, only Trung was so questionably fortunate...[/sidebar]

-"The Fall of Heroes: the Price of War", CBC/Network.

Quote from: Nikas_Zekeval, 09-09-2006, 13:11:15
Hmm, let me dig up my B5 quote file.

"The bitch of the matter is you probably did the right thing.  But you did it the wrong way, the inconvient way.  And now you have to pay the price for it."

Trung did the right thing, he stopped a rout and panic from spreading, got his half organzined regiment up and fighting from a brutal surprise attack, and won.  The inconvience was summarially exucting troops, and worse officers to stop the panic and rout.  From a certain point of view it was a limb amputation, loose the limb to save the patient's life.  Is it an urban myth that officers can legally shoot soldiers for cowardiace on the spot if he catches them running from the fight?

The killing of the officers was probably the worse heresy Trung committed from both the Lyran Social General perspective, and the Neo-Fuedalist mindset.  Common soliders executing their betters from not fighting?  Can't let them think they can get away with that after all...