Author Topic: Cluster Vs. Regiment Battle. My experience.  (Read 4362 times)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
Cluster Vs. Regiment Battle. My experience.
« on: 21 September 2013, 13:07:24 »
Hello! I have run today a 1500 vs 1600 PV battle. A cluster vs a Blake regiment. The experience was good. AS allows a lot of tactical game, with good flanking maneuvers. A poor deployment meant a defeat for the Sphere and the tactics were more sound. Mountains were good but woods were vital. We moved instead of one unit at a time we did one star/level II at a time and it worked fine. We played 6 hours and we did 7-8 turns with a 40% fatalities, and we managed to do it with unexperienced players. Strongly recommended to bring a lot of measure tape to fasten things. We had a lot of fun, it was a joy to watch the 183 units in the table and tactics won the day over dumb luck.  O0 O0 O0
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

NathanIW

• Sergeant
Re: Cluster Vs. Regiment Battle. My experience.
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2013, 14:13:25 »
That's incredible.  183 units.  My last TW game that when 6 hours or so had 14 units on the table.

I think if anyone has a dream of playing larger scope games, Alpha Strike just plain works and does so in a timely fashion.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 15:50:56 by NathanIW »

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2013, 14:41:15 »
Pics? Do we have pics of this?

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2013, 09:24:41 »
Awesome news! Can't wait to play games at that scale.

NathanIW

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2013, 19:55:12 »
One thing I made for warmachine was a selection of dowels or rods of different lengths.  So instead of having to send out a tape measure and measure with it, I can just grab the dowel of the right length (they are marked to indicate their length) and quickly measure.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2013, 20:05:14 »
One thing I made for warmachine was a selection of dowels or rods of different lengths.  So instead of having to send out a tape measure and measure with it, I can just grab the dowel of the right length (they are marked to indicate their length) and quickly measure.

A single dowel rod painted with the requisite ranges works well also. Take a standard 48" dowel, lop the last 6" off, paint the three range increments a different color (6" / 24" / 42") and then you have one stick to handle it all. Then you can use the leftover 6" section you lopped off as a woods LOS tool.

I'm going to start a thread in the next few days on AS game aid accessory ideas like that as soon as I have a chance to take pics.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2013, 22:12:07 »
Blessed Blake preserve us!

This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about Alpha Strike!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2013, 20:04:53 »
Excellent, soon the Inner Sphere will have to deal with massive battles at tables on a constant basis.
*evil laughter*  >:D
Well okay not "constant" but at least it can be done.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2013, 15:33:48 »
Here's the link to the pictures:

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10325573/

We discovered that non jumping assault mechs and 4/6 mechs are slow moving targets almost everywhere. In a big table, a slow moving assault needed a lot of loving to make it useful. The clan assault mechs were scary as hell but they took a lot of fire and all were destroyed. Fast moving units won the day. Special cool points for the Pinto VTOL. First blood and untouched (and  150% more durable than the Raptor omnimech).

We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2013, 09:59:48 »
Wow, that's amazing. And only 6 hours? (Not sarcasm. TW would take 6 days...)