Author Topic: Dark Age Novel help  (Read 8602 times)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Dark Age Novel help
« on: 06 October 2013, 22:07:25 »
Okay, at a garage sale this weekend I picked up what seems to be most of the Dark Age novels for $1.50.  So which are worth reading?

I have read Ghost War and A Call to Arms, which were both pretty good.  And The Proving Ground trilogy, which almost put me off reading anything ever again.   I am currently reading Flight of the Falcons,  because even though I am not a fan of the Clans, and of the Turkeys most of all, but hey, Victor Milán.  I am a fan.

So what is worth reading?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Dark Age Novel help
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2013, 22:16:25 »
If you're a Diamond Shark/Sea Fox fan, start from 12 Hunters of the Deep. Otherwise start at 13 The Scorpion Jar.

Be careful with Ilsa Bicks' books - they're a little ... adult, in terms of violence and unsexy sex, and "adult themse". I found that this damaged my BT reading experience, but YMMV.

By the time you get to "Sword of Sedition", you'll agree it's pretty much the BT book style back, for good.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2013, 18:41:32 »
If i may recommend another fine books pre-Scorpion Jar era.   

I'd recommend Fortress of Lies and By Temptation and By War.  Both are good warm up novels written like Battletech novels.  Especially Fortress of Lies.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2014, 15:39:39 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2014, 14:16:28 »
You can skip Ruins of Power, The Proving Grounds Trilogy,, #9, The Ilsa Bicks Kurita books.  Everything else is decent, however.  When you get into the teens like Sword of Sedition though is when the series really kicks off.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2014, 14:29:23 »
Hm...personally I actually really liked Blood Avatar. The mystery story was very engrossing. In a way it didn't feel very BattleTechy, but then I think that's a good thing. I think the universe is big enough to support any story type. I haven't read any of her others yet though. Want to. But going to read them in order.

And that's not the first time there's been a very adult book. Dagger Point was a very adult themed book to me when I read it years ago.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2014, 14:39:18 »
If you're a Diamond Shark/Sea Fox fan, start from 12 Hunters of the Deep. Otherwise start at 13 The Scorpion Jar.

Be careful with Ilsa Bicks' books - they're a little ... adult, in terms of violence and unsexy sex, and "adult themse". I found that this damaged my BT reading experience, but YMMV.

By the time you get to "Sword of Sedition", you'll agree it's pretty much the BT book style back, for good.

W.

wasn't she writing some of the drow books at the time for D&D before 4E (and the Spell Plague). She might have had naughty-minded deities on the brain at the time she was hammering out her DA book requirements... i know those were violent and sexist at the very least. Anybody ever find that caster's thumb?  >:D

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2014, 15:05:45 »
wasn't she writing some of the drow books at the time for D&D before 4E (and the Spell Plague).

No. Ilsa came by her darkness from being a forensic psychologist before she became a novelist.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2014, 16:19:14 »
No. Ilsa came by her darkness from being a forensic psychologist before she became a novelist.

Hm, yes, that would do it. *Shudders*...

Though to be honest I didn't find Blood Avatar to be particularly dark. Was that something more of her later books?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2014, 16:39:12 »
Though to be honest I didn't find Blood Avatar to be particularly dark. Was that something more of her later books?

Blood Avatar wasn't, no. But her Kurita books were. Like the twisted Bounty Hunter who had a psycho-sexual obsession with his half-sister Katana Tormark and a penchant for murdering prostitutes.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2014, 00:45:27 »
I ground through most of them.  Really enjoyed some, like Blood Avatar, though I really disliked Ilsa Bicks' Kurita books. Not that they were too adult, (though I felt like I was reading Michael Slade once and again,) I just didn't enjoy the characters. The psycho version of the BH was way too super powered for me (as in the later books version of the Dancing Joker super powered: able to be anywhere, fool everyone, kill anyone with out any problems, then get away like a ghost.)  And I hate the Bounty Hunter in general.  Katana Tormark was annoying at best, and I thought the books had Kurita give up any holdout in the idea of honor as a Great House and military.  But there were still moments I loved, and I would have liked to see her finish the stories in third book.

Scorpion Jar was great, as were the followups. 

I actually enjoyed a couple of the Clan books, especially Trial By Chaos and Milan's books.  Even more surprising, I really enjoyed the Free Worlds League books.  Having the story roll out over several novels was great, and the focus on building a Great House versus beating everyone into submission and taking over was enjoyable and novel. 

There were some I disliked, and a few I didn't finish.  (Danai Liao-Centrella in Principles of Desolation drove me to toss the book.  And that was after I read about her fighting a Hellstar that apparently felt that hitting someone with the ERPPCs made more sense than firing them.)  And there was no way I was reading the Proving Grounds Trilogy again.   But on the whole, it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Especially for a buck-and-a-half.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2014, 11:39:32 »
Katana Tormark was annoying at best, and I thought the books had Kurita give up any holdout in the idea of honor as a Great House and military.  But there were still moments I loved, and I would have liked to see her finish the stories in third book.

Interesting.  I came away from those books thinking that the Combine was wrestling with the concept of multiple definitions of what is honorable. 

I actually enjoyed a couple of the Clan books, especially Trial By Chaos and Milan's books.  Even more surprising, I really enjoyed the Free Worlds League books.  Having the story roll out over several novels was great, and the focus on building a Great House versus beating everyone into submission and taking over was enjoyable and novel. 

The LC-FWL arc was a fairly brave one.  There's a great deal of doom and gloom in those novels that I really took too.  And Anson Marik is such an excellent character (other than the silly cursing).  His rant about Inner SPhere politics cuts right to the core of BT.

There were some I disliked, and a few I didn't finish.  (Danai Liao-Centrella in Principles of Desolation drove me to toss the book.  And that was after I read about her fighting a Hellstar that apparently felt that hitting someone with the ERPPCs made more sense than firing them.)  And there was no way I was reading the Proving Grounds Trilogy again.   But on the whole, it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Especially for a buck-and-a-half.

Yes, at that price, buy them all.  Normally I would agree that people should avoid books like the Proving Grounds Trilogy as to not give them a bad impression of the Dark Age.  But, if you are looking to make informed posts about the Dark Age it's a good idea to suffer through them.  Having the facts is especially important for an era that is so misunderstood.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2014, 19:25:01 »
The worst thing about the Proving Grounds Trilogy and Kurita Duology is that there are great stories there, full of potential, but they get marred with bad characterization and writers who aren't experienced wit what makes a good Battletech pulp novel.

Just look at what you've got to work with.
Proving Grounds Trilogy
- The Republic in the form of Knights and Paladins trying to root out which of the splinter factions can be trusted and which can't.
- The Highlanders, trying to fight for the Republic but with not enough soldiers and too many brushfires.
- The Steel Wolves, Clansmen closer than any other warrior ever has been Terra, being fought over by two very skilled and ruthless warriors (Radick and Kerensky)
- The Wildcard, Jacob Bannson, trying to build his own powerbase in all the chaos.  Playing every side for himself.

Kurita Duology
- Dragon's Fury faction trying to inspire rebellion across Republic worlds.
- Warlord Politics with a failing Kurita Dynasty.  One  warlord even begins an invasion of the Republic.

It's all there, but it's put together all wrong.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2014, 19:35:35 »
I prefer the Dragon series.  My biggest complaint, however, is that Daughter of the Dragon is basically... not important.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2014, 09:29:39 »
Bit of thread resurrection, but:

Like the OP, I'm working my way through the run of DA novels. I'd read parts of several novels but couldn't really get into them as they first came out (though I did and still do like the DA setting quite a bit).

Quick thoughts:

Ghost War was fine, dragged a little at the end, but no major complaints.

Skipped Call to Arms and Ruins of Power, based on recommendations here.

I didn't hate the Proving Grounds trilogy the way some do, but I definitely agree that it won't need a second read. As someone up thread said, all the pieces were there, but the authors (under their combined pseudonym) at points seemed more interested in the nuance of basic infantry training and protocol than in advancing the overall BT storyline as the first "tent pole" books. Nothing truly offensive (other than the 'Mech handstand) but nothing worth reading twice.

By Temptations and By War and Fortress of Lies were solid. The latter suffers from the Aaron Sandoval chapters dragging ("did you know he's rich and can buy stuff, and that the DropShip captain is a curmudgeon? No? Let me tell you again! And again...and again...")

I'm currently five pages into Patriot's Stand and probably won't go any farther. The misspelling of "Hanson's" Roughriders tells me all I need to know about its importance.

Looking forward to the Falcon book. Is Blood of the Isle worth a read?

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2014, 09:33:03 »
Why in the world would you skip Call to Arms??  It was a great book unless you have something against Loren Coleman.  Its a book solid for a Dark Age novel.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2014, 10:08:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2014, 09:44:13 »
Yeah, it gets a bad rep.  It may not be the strongest book in the series (I personally think that goes to The Last Charge thanks to Anson's fourth wall breaking rant) but it is solid.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2014, 11:06:16 »
As I think back, I'm not exactly sure why I passed it over. I think I thought it was among the weaker early books, or thought I'd seen a post on the forums to that effect. I might go back eventually if that's not the case.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2014, 12:56:00 »
Well, there's nothing new in Call to Arms's philosophical discussion of Citizenship that wasn't covered in earlier works with earned citizenship.  A conversation between a Soldier-Citizen and a pacifist Resident gives Raul the moral high ground when the Steel Wolves are attacking and Swordsworn stabbing the Republic in the back.  In that i was disappointed.  There really isn't a middleground when someone is attacking your home.  It invites accusations of cowardice.  It also shirked the chance to explore the former Terran Hegemony's "Sheeple" complex.

Details, details.  Raul Ortega was a nice character.  A shame that world was taken by the Cappies after the fact.  I wonder is the twist at the end is still in place.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2014, 20:33:14 »
I highly recommend Surrender Your Dreams.  It is a couple stories where the events are shuffled around a slight bit.  It talks about the fidelis and their work with the Republic (along with their very intense "rituals" if you will during battle), It talks about Damien Redburn and his activity beyond the fortress, it covers the stories of multiple knights and ghost knights, and insane operations they take part in to try to preserve the Republic.

Very intense book that had me riled up the whole way through.  My favorite so far in the Dark Age series.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2014, 03:07:55 by jackpot4 »
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2014, 18:01:02 »
Just ignore the Epilogue. Chock it up to a hallucinogenic dream sequence.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2014, 19:29:04 »
I'm currently five pages into Patriot's Stand and probably won't go any farther. The misspelling of "Hanson's" Roughriders tells me all I need to know about its importance.

It's far from the best novel in the series, but I didn't hate it like many others on here do.

Looking forward to the Falcon book. Is Blood of the Isle worth a read?

Definitely, it's a direct sequel to Flight of the Falcon and works quite well, while shifting the point of view around somewhat.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2014, 06:16:47 »
I asked this question myself about a month ago; now I am reading through the ebooks and am realising that listening to negative 'Dark Age is BAD' hype years ago was a mistake.

Post #9 here -  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/mechwarrior-dark-age-novels/ - contains a good summary of the novels' contents, and so far every one of Lorcan Nagle's descriptions has been accurate. My own request was for Clan-focused novels, but he also notes which faction is featured in any given book so this might be of some help to you (or anyone else)

So far I have finished Flight of the Falcon, Blood of the Isle, A Rending of Falcons, Hunters of the Deep and The Scorpion Jar (in that order). Currently I am flipping between Targets of Opportunity and Sword of Sedition.

It depends on what factions you favour, but unless you hate the Jade Falcons I would definitely recommend the two Falcon novels by Victor Milan; some of the best and most interesting character writing in BattleTech, and a subtle dig(?) at the "99% of characters are white or Asian" trope that I find mildly irritating (to be fair, just about every sci-fi setting seems to suffer from this).

Hunters of the Deep was interesting; it is the only novel I know of that focuses on the Sea Foxes. Among other things, we see how a Scientist Caste Trial of Grievance is handled.

The Scorpion Jar I found a little slow, but the death of a Battletech giant is handled well and the payoff was worth it.

I am saving the final four novels for last, as I have heard that they are amongst the best in Dark Age writing - now I am looking forward to reading Anton's rant about Inner Sphere politics :)
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2014, 07:58:51 »
A Call to Arms is a Clan book as well, half of it is deals with Steel Wolves invading Archenar.  The Clans are handled well, you get see Anastasia Kerensky not crazy, just sassy.  Her personality in the trilogy was written as if the they weren't told what the character was suppose to be like.  I think that's when things got wacky for her.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2014, 09:38:47 »
Post #9 here -  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/mechwarrior-dark-age-novels/ - contains a good summary of the novels' contents, and so far every one of Lorcan Nagle's descriptions has been accurate. My own request was for Clan-focused novels, but he also notes which faction is featured in any given book so this might be of some help to you (or anyone else)

I'm helping!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2014, 22:27:33 »
Yeah, good post. I'm up to Blood of the Isle now and enjoying it. Flight of the Falcon was enjoyable, and Hunters of the Deep was as faction-specific as everyone here (not to mention the book's own back cover) would make you think.

Something I've been thinking about while I'm reading the series, and maybe this is a question for TPTB: what were the IRL circumstances going on amid the early (say, first 15) books? Several people now have said there's an upswing around Book 10 or so--was that due to an intentional "these have to get better" effort, or simply the MW:DA game and books being around long enough to settle down?

At any rate, my plan is to continue to plow forward. I'm hoping to pitch some DA BattleCorps stories myself, and I think it's important to know what worked and what didn't in the initial novels.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2014, 09:26:13 »
Less Stackpole?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2015, 13:52:36 »
Different editor.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 01 March 2015, 19:35:08 »
Yeah, good post. I'm up to Blood of the Isle now and enjoying it. Flight of the Falcon was enjoyable, and Hunters of the Deep was as faction-specific as everyone here (not to mention the book's own back cover) would make you think.

Something I've been thinking about while I'm reading the series, and maybe this is a question for TPTB: what were the IRL circumstances going on amid the early (say, first 15) books? Several people now have said there's an upswing around Book 10 or so--was that due to an intentional "these have to get better" effort, or simply the MW:DA game and books being around long enough to settle down?

At any rate, my plan is to continue to plow forward. I'm hoping to pitch some DA BattleCorps stories myself, and I think it's important to know what worked and what didn't in the initial novels.

Don't forget to read a Rending of Falcons, which in by many ways is third book complimentary the Flight of the Falcons/Blood of the Isles dualology.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2015, 15:41:22 »
Sword of Sedition took the key step of bringing in the familiar states (FS, CC, etc) and their politics into what had previously been 99% Republic focused. No one really cared much for the upstart faction and watered down versions of their Great Houses but once Nikol, Julian, Caleb, Alaric and so forth were in play it was much more like the Battletech we remembered. Back out of the bush leagues and into the real game.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2015, 20:27:16 »
Agree! I finished Sword of Sedition about a month ago and jumped straight ahead to Fortress Republic. Sword was what everyone here promoted it to be, and more.

Looking forward to the rest of the series now, even the Kurita novels (dark is okay by me), Blood Avatar (no 'Mechs is okay by me as a one-off) and the FWL restoration storyline.

Only 15 more novels until I'm ready to pitch my Dark Age BC story, hah.