Author Topic: RolePlaying over Skype  (Read 2069 times)

Felix

• Recruit
RolePlaying over Skype
« on: 07 October 2013, 15:38:40 »
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of running/playing RPG's over Skype, Messenger, Google Hangout or something similar?  I did find a few references to Skype on the forums, but I don't know how anybody got on.

Does anybody have any advice?  Game system or ruleset isn't important at the moment, I just want to know if the idea works.

Cheers!

They don't like it when you shoot at them.  I worked that out myself

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: RolePlaying over Skype
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2013, 16:43:21 »
there are several options and plusses/ minuses for each

classic PIP (play in person) the group has to get together ...

PBP (Play By Post) mail, email, forum etc can all facilitate this
advantages
not as time critical
wider pool of players possible etc

disadvantage
players may get bored,
loose track (or interest)
longer waits between turns actions etc

IM is closer to real time version still some anomity allowed

real time chat is basically equivalent to in person playing with the issue of dice rolling which needs trust, or a dice roller app to be used

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2013, 09:12:36 »
I've had some fun with using a word document on google docs for RPG portions of a campaign.

The best part of it; you can have multiple people on at a time editing the same 'live' document - and it is a lot easier to keep track of than instant messenger notes, in my opinion (and fun to look back on later / or to remember what was happening in the future.) Alternatively, you can also post something and let people know and they can respond when they get a chance, if everyone isn't available at the same time.

We tended to use some form of IM to talk outside of the document, especially about out of character stuff, but would keep everything 'in character' in the document. I was the GM, so I did any rolls manually and entered the results as necessary. I'm sure there are means to do 'live' rolls, if your players feel the need to see the rolls personally.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2013, 09:37:22 »
I almost got a Spacehulk campaign going over google hangout. I am still game for it if I can find the player(s). Playing A Time of War is not too hard over skype, but you have to make sure everyone is comfortable and eliminate background noise along with side conversations. Too much derailment and the session is wasted and outlook forcasts lowers for participation for the next.

Currently I only have one player, but I sure can use a hand with some of the gaming in the creation department or even someone maybe to skype play one of the lance characters if it can be done.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

WargameHub

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2013, 21:08:08 »
I run a Pathfinder game using Google Hangouts (we are adding ATOW to our mix).  It helps that my players are all friends and family, plus I trust them to do their own die rolls.  Plus we use the roll20.net plug in for the hangout to give mapping.

One key is to give out tasks to the players.  One in my group takes notes, one has really learned the combat rules, another keeps track of initiative.   

I also have my own website with forums.  We have setup entire threads for each character, anything important, plus have a thread for each weekly game.
Battletech player since 1994, 100+ minis plus maps and terrain (including buildings).  Looking for other players in the area.

Used to have a lot of posts under a different ID, but that one kept getting wiped out so I took a few years off from the forum.

Favorite mech, the original Goshawk.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2013, 22:53:40 »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=210464052464205&set=gm.581018121955877&type=1&theater

drop by here,
this thread brought up multiple things I had not heard of such as RollD20
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer