Author Topic: LSSU Addiction  (Read 1496 times)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
LSSU Addiction
« on: 02 November 2013, 23:44:54 »
Anyone had any experience dealing with LSSU addiction?

I'm running a clan tabletop/atow hybrid. And being mechwarriors in constant combat one of the PCs will undoubtedly get addicted to LSSU eventually.

For the clan toumans, this sort of thing should be run of the mill assuming that LSSUs are issued regularly, so how would the military handle this sort of thing? I can't imagine most trueborns being pulled off the front lines to go into rehab constantly.

For the game session itself, might just do say a WIL check once in a while and give the PC penalties while they don't have access to it.
Or maybe a PC could simply give themselves a fix.

Though when addicted to a level 1 drug, I'm assuming that the addiction can increase with prolonged use as well.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: LSSU Addiction
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2013, 11:40:26 »
With something as common as an LSSU, I'd guess the Clans have a counter-agent method for detox.

Or else, if they're trueborns, give them a bonus to resisting addiction for fine tuning the drugs with their biochemistry.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2013, 14:16:35 »
With something as common as an LSSU, I'd guess the Clans have a counter-agent method for detox.

Or else, if they're trueborns, give them a bonus to resisting addiction for fine tuning the drugs with their biochemistry.

Trueborns already have a bonus, they treat the drug strength as 2 points less (1 instead of 3).
I can check the book but I don't believe it says anything about a counter-agent.

Only possibility is that it says use the medtech skill as a bonus. Namely the skill of the PC or the attending physician. However I would think that you'd make the roll at the time the drug wears off (ie 15 minutes) which would mean that the physician would not be onhand to help.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2013, 16:21:38 »
Hmm, assuming a Trueborn, the addiction check is a BOD+WIL double attribute check, with medtech skill as a bonus, minus the strength of the drug.

Going with clan Mechwarrior minimums that is a BOD of at least 4, and WIL of 5.  So a target of 9, say a +2 for medtech skill and you have to roll an 8.  An Elemental scraping the bottom of the attribute limit (Bod 5, Will 4) has the same numbers.  I believe you can use your Pheontype bonus for those attribute minimums?

So slight over 50-50 chance and climbing rapidly from repeated use.  OTOH you can't get a compulsion any higher than the strength of the drug.  Would that be the effective strength, limiting a Clan Trueborn to a single -1 TP addiction?

This would limit the damage to something on the level of a smoker.  A nasty but common vice in Clan ranks?  True AFAICT AtoW doesn't go into the long term effects of chemical addictions, particularly the milder ones like nicotine or alcohol, but in a Trueborn's view if you aren't dead by the time they catch up to you, you have done something very wrong.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2013, 16:32:29 by Nikas_Zekeval »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2013, 20:51:25 »
Just to clarify the Double Attribute check methodology of AToW the Target Number for such a check is add the relevant attributes and and GM based modifiers to the 2d6 roll against a Target Number of 18.  Just so people don't get confused that are not familiar with the method and start thinking that high attributes make the roll more difficult.