Author Topic: Equipped and ERA  (Read 1175 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Equipped and ERA
« on: 04 November 2013, 11:55:09 »
In  ATOW a character has an Equipped Characteristic  A-F ect  .  But this trait becomes striking after and during the Jihad as the WoB tend to have F across the board and if you have to make your character have E or F just to have access and compete without being hopelessly out classed . Do you think every major affiliation should have a mandatory trait  level ?  And how should it be paid  for ?

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Equipped and ERA
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2013, 12:16:04 »
you don't HAVE to have equipped F for a faction, (that's what the issued equipment options is for)

using your WOB example I could make a WOB char who's actual equipped trait is only C giving them access to stuff like slug throwers and other fairly basic moderate gear, however they could still have a mauser rifle, the power packs to use it and a set of WOB infantry body armor (kit) the trick is they don't OWN it so if they do something to "become separated from the WOB", they WILL want that gear back...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2013, 18:27:51 »
The "Tools of the Trade" option (p. 255) is a good idea if you think your PCs need a small buff in gear without making them blow all their points on the equipped trait (though to be fair, using the rules from the Companion make spending points on the Equipped Trait much more palatable, since its effects aren't limited to chargen then).

Of course, Tools of the Trade doesn't necessarily fix the Tech Rating issue, since it only improves availability.

Of course, I'm not sure if there's a really huge modifier between having D and F tech rating. I mean, obviously there's some, but I'm not sure if its an insurmountable level. Sure, he can take a Mauser 1200 LSS, but you can take a D rated laser rifle and hit them at a range of 1100meters, where as they have to wait until they get to 740 to respond.

Their armor kit is pretty nice, I'll agree, but you can get almost similar protection from a FedSuns armor kit at just B rated tech (Or a D rated Ab/Flak Suit).

Yes, the WoB might have better gear, but its not amazingly better except for a few pieces.

And besides, an E in tech is only +3 to equipped. Its not that hard to get. The real issue is trying to get the points for Availability and legality at that point...

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2013, 19:51:12 »
Tech and even availability aren't hard barriers, using the Companion rules.  You can't start with them, and they aren't the easiest thing to get, but it is not flat out impossible.

Legality is the real killer though, because if you get caught with the gear you don't have the permits to have?   >:D  And getting caught depends on the GM's perversity, which increases as he needs a new adventure hook.

Register