Author Topic: Did the 12th Vegan Rangers ever work for the Combine?  (Read 1879 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Did the 12th Vegan Rangers ever work for the Combine?
« on: 19 November 2013, 04:32:03 »
The 12th Vegan Rangers has been described as the personal army of the FedSuns' Duke of Verde, which he converted to mercenary service during the Succession Wars.  FM: Mercenaries says that they fought for the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth to bring in money for Verde's economy, while the original "Galtor Campaign" noted that they also fought for "Princes of the Periphery." 

Looking through the "Fox's Teeth" scenario pack, the opening scenario ("Cry Vengeance!") pits the titular unit (part of the 7th Crucis Lancers) against elements of the 12th Vegan Rangers during a DCMS invasion of Harrow's Sun.  Even if the FedSuns Duke of Verde was using the Rangers to pad his personal finances, it seems doubtful that he'd hire them out to the Draconis Combine for the purpose of invading the Federated Suns.  (At least not without facing treason charges.) 

So, was the Duke of Verde a traitorous so-and-so circa 3020, or would it make more sense for the OpFor to be the Combine's Legion of Vega, rather than the Vegan Rangers?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Did the 12th Vegan Rangers ever work for the Combine?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2013, 05:13:47 »
Hi,

Yeah, that was probably another of those wacky early BattleTech continuity mishaps. Probably should have been a LoV unit, rather than the VR.

Thanks,

- Herb

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Did the 12th Vegan Rangers ever work for the Combine?
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2013, 05:18:56 »
Thanks for the reply, Herb.  Much appreciated.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register