Author Topic: Pilot and Gunnery Skills  (Read 2990 times)

Stormrider

• Sergeant
  • To each his own unless I'm running the show.
Pilot and Gunnery Skills
« on: 06 January 2014, 14:59:04 »
Hey folks, What would a character need to get a 2/3 Gunnery/Pilot?? He has Fast Learner, RFL 6, DEX 5.

Curious as to what the base TN's are for Elite-level Characters. I'm guessing also that Legendary Mech jocks would be 1+or better than Elite's TN's. Am I correct ?????

All hail the god of war!!

Avatar by ShadowRaven. Thanks SR.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Pilot and Gunnery Skills
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2014, 15:12:27 »
Hey folks, What would a character need to get a 2/3 Gunnery/Pilot?? He has Fast Learner, RFL 6, DEX 5.

Curious as to what the base TN's are for Elite-level Characters. I'm guessing also that Legendary Mech jocks would be 1+or better than Elite's TN's. Am I correct ?????
if using atow, neither of the stats gives a "link bonus"
piloting and gunnery are both Skill Check (Simple-Advanced Skill) 8 (pg 40)
so to have a gunnery of 2 and a piloting of 3 they need to be gunnery 6, piloting 5 to get to that effective level

Stormrider

• Sergeant
  • To each his own unless I'm running the show.
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2014, 15:14:56 »
Thanks Guardiandaishi for the quick response. So for a 1/2 Gunnery/Pilot -> He'd need Gunnery 7/ Piloting 6 ??

All hail the god of war!!

Avatar by ShadowRaven. Thanks SR.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2014, 17:41:06 »
yes unless they are clan (they are 1 level lower on their targets)

as to where to draw the line a lot of people believe the system really breaks down if you allow people to be 0/1 0/0 or better altho it is theoretically possible to do, rank 10 skill with no stat mod could put you at -2, and if you somehow had both stats giving you attribute adjustments you could in theory get a -2 bringing the base down to 4 (from 8) meaning -6 is theoretically possible

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2014, 16:42:51 »
So much time is spent moving from one duty station to another that maintaining skills in the face of age is hard .  You might be able to get that gunnery and piloting but as you age you spend XP to maintain those Dex and RFL and finnaly you lose the fast learner and have to use the standard skill level charge when you age gives you  slow learner and nullifies the fast learner. So getting good seems to be doable and perhaps easy if the character is built correctly however staying good is the trick .  I can envision someone stocking and raising traits ; skills ; and attributes just to keep what they have in the same place .  You should look to get tough as it will cancel out the Glass Jaw acquired for free with time as well .