Author Topic: Is there an easier version of AToW?  (Read 1823 times)

Kell

• Corporal
Is there an easier version of AToW?
« on: 27 January 2014, 23:13:27 »
I have been dying to start a small campaign of Role playing in the Battletech Universe. I plan on using Alpha Strike to simulate most of the battles mainly because of time. But as I am going through AToW it seems wildly overwhelming. I was wondering if there is something similar to the Quick Start Rules for Battletech only for AToW??

Kell

• Corporal
Re: Is there an easier version of AToW?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2014, 23:17:47 »
never mind found it

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2014, 23:19:21 »
If you can find it, you could use some of the older MW RPG books.  Depending on your tastes, MW2 is a easy system.  Old but it gets you through it.  Iron Maiden did a review of all the existing RPG for Battletech, those videos could help you make your decision as well.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2014, 10:34:19 »
I  Depending on your tastes, MW2 is a easy system.

It also had the virtue that the way skill target numbers were set up directly tied into the BT target numbers for piloting/gunnery (the "5/4" standard, I mean).

NullVoid

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2014, 15:51:58 »
Mechwarrior 2nd edition is great; unlike 1st edition where it was nigh impossible to make anything other than a mechwarrior and 3rd edition where it was basically a different game sharing the same game world, this edition's rules flowed naturally from the then-current Master Rules.  It's main problem was how easy it was to have a starter character be an ultra-elite at whatever his job was.

Man, I suddenly miss 2nd edition now.  Do they still sell PDFs of those books?

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2014, 19:51:53 »
If they don't, they should.

DelevanGuardsCO

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2014, 00:58:45 »
The life path system in MW3rd and AToW better reflect the realities of the world I think. I can build a character with some experience or with minimal experience.
"Away to Nahoni, to marsh and to mud
  before I yield to the Regents I'll shed my life's blood"

NullVoid

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2014, 16:30:34 »
The life path system is overall good and it leads to organic characters, but it takes a lot of effort; this is why the free point buy system is an option (mostly for creating NPCs which need statting out but you don't care to know about his youth).

As far as creating a character and ease of use, 2e wins hands down, but ATOW is a solid system once you learn it.

Register