Author Topic: ATOW character creation, easy mode.  (Read 4092 times)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
ATOW character creation, easy mode.
« on: 04 February 2014, 09:38:01 »
I've started quite a few groups, and one of the biggest complaints I've had from new characters was creating characters.

I've been using tweaked version of the point buy rules, and I'm sharing it with others who may be in the same position. This makes character creation a breeze using point buy. In fact, I use it for my experienced regular group, as no one wants to fuss and fiddle with life paths any more.

I give characters starting points based on the level of desired characters,

The standard 5k is for green characters, with imposed target number limits. (No lower than a 4+ target number on 2 skills, 5+ on all others.) Suggested age is 16 to 20, but I'll let them vary age based on background story as needed. For the more experienced characters, I suggest higher base age ranges as appropriate, and then apply the aging chart.

5500 is for regulars, with a limit of 3+ on two skills, 4+ on others.
6000 for veterans (2+ on two skills, 3+ on others)
7000 for Elite (2+ skill limit on all skills)

I generally limit the higher skills to only having one apply to a core combat skill: for example, for veteran Mechwarriors, only piloting or gunnery can use one of the 2+ skill numbers.

Characters must have the Perception skill at least 0, as well as English 0, and one other language at 0, or increase English to one.

I simply give then have a pre-generated minimum equipment list for their mercenary unit or house faction if appropriate. (If they are pure freelancers or pirates, then its a recommended list that they buy). They get a randomly determined free light combat unit appropriate to their career field if part of a regular factions standing army or merc unit. My rationale is why make them pay for the minimal unit they'll need to play the game. If they want more than a randomly rolled light, they pay the difference.

If they players are playing a single vehicle crew, I'll just usually give them  a vehicle that I want them to have for the game; its quicker that way.

Fast and Slow Learner are not allowed. That way its all simple, skills are all bought with fixed values. No cost modification or XP rebate is given for fields. No worries about discounts, combination packages, academies.

In general I start characters as regulars, and the extra XP I given more than makes up for this.

Doing this new players then fly through character creation. I simply remind them to look at life paths for suggestions for the language for a area or faction, and the  various field packages as the skills they must take for their chosen career.

This makes even pen and paper character creation a breeze, doubly so if you use one of the spreadsheets character generators.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
Re: ATOW character creation, easy mode.
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2014, 09:45:14 »
is there a spread sheet created for using ATOW?  :-\ all that ive ever found in searchs is older offerings from MW3 RPG...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2014, 10:59:32 »
*cough*signature*cough*

Sorry about that.

My main problem with the modules is when doing them by hand it is way too easy to put down the same skill more then once.

Point buy has become something of a preferred method for me as well.  I assume the numbers you list are for the TW conversion from AToW ranks, otherwise that makes no sense.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2014, 17:47:45 »
*cough*signature*cough*

Sorry about that.

My main problem with the modules is when doing them by hand it is way too easy to put down the same skill more then once.

Point buy has become something of a preferred method for me as well.  I assume the numbers you list are for the TW conversion from AToW ranks, otherwise that makes no sense.

Yes. The actual skill ranks I don't really worry about, its just the TW compatible target number that I use as a guideline.  And thanks for your spreadsheet, btw.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2014, 02:19:46 by William J. Pennington »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2014, 19:43:52 »
Glad you find it useful.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2014, 17:53:42 »
AToW Companion character with a higher base number and using the life paths as guideline for a strait point buy is the best  way to make a character I can think of .

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2014, 19:52:38 »
I like this, thanks William J. Pennington!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

OpsCon

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2014, 14:34:33 »
I haven't had a chance to start a group yet, but with my experience with making test/sample characters, we'll be using point buy with the life path method as a 'shopping list'.

i.e. Point buy with these steps

1) Buy baseline adult attributes
2) Buy 1 rank minimum in your stage 1,2 and 3 lifepath choices (that makes you look like you have that history)
3) Spend the rest of your points.

Anything else requires a spreadsheet.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 18:25:31 »
You know, there always has been a points-only method. You don't need the modules at all.

Thanks,

-

Pyro

• Corporal
  • The man, the legend, oh God, he's back? WHY!?
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 15:20:37 »
I've always treated the modules like a suggestion of what someone from a particular area might have, and gone with pure point buy.  It's a lot faster, time-wise.
Fire solves everything.

Kodiak06

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2014, 11:23:28 »
I really like your character creation method.  The life path system has turned me off to actually playing this game.  Using your plan may actually make it worthwhile for me.

Do you have an actual spreadsheet that you use or is that from a website?  Would you please post what you use?

Thanks,

Jim

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2014, 12:09:32 »
I have a link to a thread for my spreadsheet in my signature that you're welcome to try.

Onirim

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2014, 07:14:30 »
The long process of creating a character via life paths isn't a problem for me, because we just create each character once. I like the life paths because they add substance and background to the character, and help player to choose. It's a little long, I admit, but the final result is the more important, except you create character just before game sessions ^^

PS : I'm an old gurps/rolemaster GM, maybe it help a little :D
Mechwarrior from France

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2014, 14:13:04 »
I've plenty of experience with the concept of what is easy for one person isn't always so for another.  As an example of that, which also happens to be relevant to this thread, is that I do not find the module system at all complex.  Daunting sure, but for me it is very easy to understand that you pay A amount of XP and get set B of XP back distributed as specified in the module.  Repeat until all XP from the stating pool are spent.  The only trick so far is making sure that the same skill didn't get two(or more) different notes on XP allocation.  Next is the optional step of Optimization.  This I will admit can be tougher to understand but again isn't too hard for me to understand.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2014, 16:38:26 »
The long process of creating a character via life paths isn't a problem for me, because we just create each character once. I like the life paths because they add substance and background to the character, and help player to choose. It's a little long, I admit, but the final result is the more important, except you create character just before game sessions ^^

PS : I'm an old gurps/rolemaster GM, maybe it help a little :D

My preferred RPG system is Hero. I started on Aftermath, Rolemaster, and other games a tad more rules heavy than today.  I can do the system, but I know a lot of players don't want to deal with it, so I offer the easy mode option. Nothing is really lost, either way produces viable characters.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2014, 21:08:49 »
Oh indeed.  I've even tried doing what I can to make my spreadsheet point buy compatible(sadly the automated rebate functionality does not seem to work and I can't quite seem to figure out why) towards the end of offering people both options.  Both have advantages over the other* and both can produce good characters.

*I find module with a little work tends to work out better for older Inner Sphere faction characters while point buy gives distinct advantages when attempting to make an older Clan affiliation character.

Register