Author Topic: Anyone working on ATOW of Hero Lab...  (Read 1786 times)

Panthros

• Sergeant
Anyone working on ATOW of Hero Lab...
« on: 04 February 2014, 23:13:28 »
I love the idea of ATOW but character creation is a pain in the arse so I gave up.  I have friends who have given up as well.  I use Hero Lab for Shadowrun and Pathfinder.  Any enterprising individual thinking about doing this for ATOW?  Now that Alpha Strike is out for Army Builder, give it a try. It is amazing.  ATOW could be amazing as well. 

NullVoid

• Sergeant
Re: Anyone working on ATOW of Hero Lab...
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2014, 08:51:35 »
As far as we know, no, though if you would be willing to spearhead an effort, it would be a great service to the community.  ;)

Noirfatale also asked about it in this thread, maybe (s)he would be willing to help out?

Monbvol made a spreadsheet which can be found here; it doesn't strictly follow all of the rules; off of the top of my head, flexible XPs are a little funky, and I don't remember if it blocks Mica Majority character from taking the nobility life modules, for example, or if the user has to remember these details.

I once tried to make a character generator myself, although not on Hero Lab, programming from the ground up.  The main obstacle I found was my inability to define a generic life module; the University life module, for example, requires a complex prerequisite, and many subaffiliations have notes that asks for extra prerequisites for selecting certain traits or that define whether Citizenship is a factor or not and even allowed and disallowed life modules.  That would require hard-coding stuff which makes it much harder to add new life modules and affiliations or to fix errata that comes up afterwards.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2014, 23:34:45 »
That's a shame. I would sooooo buy that.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2014, 00:02:34 »
Some of the short comings of my sheet are somewhat intentional to make people still have to rely on having AToW available to them in some form as primary reference to ensure character creation is done by the rules(like remembering details about who needs Citizenship for what or making sure they follow the special cases like University), others like the flexible XP and any "Choose one of the following" are limitations of my ability with spreadsheets.  After all it is a supplement, not a replacement.

I really should copy and paste that blurt into my thread.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2014, 15:55:35 »
I prefer just a point buy for character creation with the stock creation rules as guidelines of what skills should have but not necessarily at what level they should have it . After a few times of doing it the creation process is not all that slow anymore fill in skill sets per faction roll total points for creation from the chart in AToW Companion and you are good to go .

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2014, 09:55:12 »
I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Herolab is borderline for me right now, an ATOW module would make it a must-have.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman