Author Topic: (Answered) Station-Keeping Warships and Structural Integrity  (Read 1885 times)

NullVoid

• Sergeant
So, The footnotes from the table "Advanced Aerospace Unit Base Engine Formulae" in page SO147 tells me that
...Maneuvering Drives may not have a Safe Thrust of less than 1. For lower thrust than 1, a WarShip must mount a Station-Keeping Drive** instead of a Maneuvering Drive (in this instance the WarShip moves as per a JumpShip [see p. 62]).”
and
**Station-Keeping Drives do not receive a Max Thrust (their engines provide for station-keeping only, at 0.2 Thrust).
Meanwhile, page SO148 has a "Determine Structural Integrity (Warships Only)" says that
Unlike the SI of a Space Station or JumpShip, a WarShip’s SI may vary at the designer’s option. At the very minimum, this value must be equal to the vessel’s Maximum Thrust Rating, but the designer may—at his or her discretion—increase this value to as much as 30 times the vessel’s Max Thrust.

Now, the SI must be between 1 and 30 times the maximum thrust of the drive, but station-keeping drives do not have a maximum thrust.  Therefore, the legal values for a station-keeping warship should be either:

a) mandatorily 1, like every SpaceStation, JumpShip and Satellite that mounts a station-keeping drive;

b) between 1 and 6, since the maximum thrust one can wring out of these devices is 0.2 and I'm assuming SI values are strictly integers;

c) something else.

Which one is it? I know few people would even bother with station-keeping WarShips, but...

This is from the PDF copyrighted 2011.  Once again I checked both the recent and full errata for both of these pages, as well as the developer-level errata in the first post of this thread
« Last Edit: 11 April 2014, 15:03:00 by Xotl »

NullVoid

• Sergeant
Re: Station-Keeping Warships and Structural Integrity
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2014, 06:07:57 »
Monthly bump.

NullVoid

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2014, 11:34:34 »
Montlly bump.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2014, 15:02:54 »
Thanks for your patience.  The answer is A.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register