Author Topic: (Answered) Under-crewed Vehicles  (Read 2227 times)

Jayof9s

• Captain
(Answered) Under-crewed Vehicles
« on: 12 February 2014, 10:29:01 »
I'm not sure this belongs in StratOps, but since SO deals with campaign play, I'm putting this here based on:

"The size of a vehicle’s crew is rarely important in a single game, but frequently becomes important in campaign play." TO pg 218

The question is, what effect does an under-sized crew have on a vehicle? I.e. you're playing in a campaign, which tracks all individual soldiers. You salvage an Ontos, which 'requires' a crew of 7*, however, you only have 3 tankers available.

Can they not sufficiently crew the tank and as a result it cannot be used in a TW game? Or is there some penalty (skill or otherwise) for having an undersized crew?

* Note: 7 is based on: "To determine the number of crewmen, divide the tonnage of the vehicle by 15, rounding fractions up." TO pg 218

Edit: Question refined below.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 01:02:55 by Welshman »

Jayof9s

• Captain
Re: Under-crewed Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2014, 07:22:50 »
Bump

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2014, 14:59:29 »
Thanks to some help from Lissette Woo, I was pointed towards the rules for "taking control of a unit" page 216:

"If using Vehicle Crews (see p. 218), and the number of infantry in the unit taking control is less than the number of crewmen required for a given vehicle tonnage, apply an additional +1 Driving Skill modifier for each trooper less than the minimum requirement."

Now, my original question is slightly different, since the rule quoted is for taking control of a tank during a battle and using infantry, instead of tank crewmen but based on that rule looks like a smaller than required crew causes a penalty for all driving rolls (+1 / soldier less than required) and limits the number of extra targets that can be shot at based on the number of soldiers crewing the tank. Is a +1 driving penalty per missing crew member, and limiting the number of additional attacks a unit can make, the correct (and only) penalties when tracking the size of a crew in campaign play?

I.e. in the campaign in my original post, the 5 tank crew members for the Ontos, simply means that it receives a +2 driving penalty and can't fire at more than 5 targets?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2014, 08:09:27 »
Bump

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2014, 01:02:44 »
Correct
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Register