Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Uraeus  (Read 23442 times)

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Mech of the Week: Uraeus
« on: 12 February 2014, 18:01:35 »

I've been trying to start this MOTW article for weeks now.

It's not really the issue of how to START an article- let's face it, most of us will read just about anything when it comes to our favorite game universe- it's that I just can't get over one issue with the Uraeus.  Namely... it's the feet.

Look at them.

Look at 'em!  When Comstar was destroyed in the Fortress, did a slight breeze help?  Did it kick it's feet like ED-209 in Robocop?  This 'mech has the “Bad Reputation” quirk as it reminds people of nuclear missiles and awesome terrifying combat cyborgs, but I can't get Ben Stiller lines out of my head anytime I look at it's picture. 

Made for 'mech-piloting ants.

… anyway, the Uraeus is the Republic's latest and not-greatest brawler design, a 75 ton close-combat machine with some... interesting design choices.  It's genesis falls in Comstar's camp, who sided with the Republic's Senate in an attempted coup because of reasons or power or something that ended up in getting them smashed.  Now Comstar is dead and gone within the fortress, the Republic get's some new 'mechs made by the New Earth Trading Company (abbreviated to NETC) and we get to bask in how... unique they are.  In the case of the Uraeus, 'unique' is in the same vein as your a fedora and Trench coat draped on slim shoulders of a pasty white male in a mass effect shirt.

The Uareus starts off pretty neat.  NETC used an Endo steel chassis and strung the whole thing in TSM, and used the good 'ole standby of a 300 Vlar engine to get it moving at “normal” speeds.   It's plain and boring admittedly, but combined with it's standard cockpit and near-maxed Light Ferro armor the base design has some great endurance.  The placement could be better, of course- and is the beginning of many problems to come- with each location having one point short of most thresholds for damage.  Tho the rear is at an acceptable 8/10/8 spread, the legs with those tiny baby feet sit at 29 points; making a double tap from clan ER peepers all the more dangerous.  It's like this across the whole chassis, too- while the CT sits pretty at 33 points, the arms and torsos (at 24 and 23, respectively) are at weird levels that make repeated hits very threatening.  While 13 tons of armor is great, this is an era populated by capacitor-toting Heavy PPCs, Thunderbolt 20s, and other forms of high-yield middle finger-forcing PSRs; making a brawler who's whole point is to close vulnerable to follow-up medium laser hits seems counter intuitive when a half ton of armor covers these sins.

Another area where the meat n' bones of the 'mech start to go awry is the use of an XL gyro.  Now, XL gyros really are a matter of preference- and for designs like light 'mechs the saved tonnage can mean a lot when internal damage means you're dead already- but on a 75 ton scrapper?  Despite the Uraeus being able to hit 5/8 the gyroscope feels extremely out-of-place, and even more so since the 'mech uses standard components everywhere else.  The fact that it makes a brawlers gyroscope such a big target is not a good idea, especially when the 'mechs whole point is to close with it's opponent.  With the Uraeus having to spend ammo to hit the desired temperature, replacing the gyro and light ferro for a light engine would have been far more cost-effective, and would have actually benefited the 'mech in the long run since it's (again) reliant on ammo to keep it's TSM going.

Yeah, that's right; the Uraeus is benefited by having an engine crit.  Makes them ballerina feet work faster.

But how bout' dem guns?  Surely the Uraeus has got some vindication for those wee little tosies.  Sadly, NETC didn't take their lithium the morning they built it, and proving that the once-reborn Comstar was really “TEH WORD IN DISGUISE!!1!11” they slapped a streak SRM 4 into the right torso Grand Crusader style.  And it doesn't get much better from there- the right arm is dominated by an Ultra AC/10, the left torso lugs around a Bombast laser (with some cool additions too) and the left arm carries a medium-scale vibroblade apache-style.

Think about that- even with the bombast laser firing full blast and the vibroblade hummin' away, you're still 3 heat short before running- so either you turn off heat sinks (in which case you're a looser) our you start spending some of that Sweet autocannon ammo to keep the TSM going.  While the ultra AC has 30 rounds to fire (lovingly stuffed into a CASE II ammo bin with the streaks) the ultra's were never known for their reliability, and the poor schmuck who makes a bad roll is going to find his TSM a distant memory.

Stranger still is the vibroblade; though it's addition ensures that the Uraeus can never be without altered physical attacks, the medium blade does too little damage to really be threatening.  When active for 5 heat, the blade deals a whole 10 damage- unpowered, it deals 9.  In both cases, it has a -2 to-hit, but powered up gains no TSM benefits.  In other words, for the weight of a large laser you have a physical weapon that is no better than a sword or retractable blade, on a 'mech that would probably get more mileage out of simple punches and kicks.  On the GOOD side however, an active vibroblade's damage is unaffected by actuator damage, so a Uraeus with critted upper and lower actuators it attacks for a 0 penalty and still does 10 damage.  Sounds good, but I think few world millitaries are reliant on weapons that come into their own when you're half dead.

This means that the only weapon that isn't extremely questionable is (hilariously) the bombast laser, a 7 ton weapon with the WORST ratios of damage-to-tonnage in the game.  If you haven't read TacOps (and live under a rock in the Ukraine) the Bombast laser can “upgrade” it's damage by one point up to 12 for one heat, at the expense of a to-hit modifier of its current damage MINUS it's minimum DEVIDED by 2, round UP.  In English, this means the Bombast laser has a +1 to hit for 8-9 points, a +2 for 10 and 11, and +3 for the full headcapping 12.  Unless you're pilot is a good shot (or you're completely reliant on it to activate TSM) you're better off using a standard large laser of all things, laughable in the era of the common (and almighty, glory to it's name) Clan ER medium laser.  What makes the Bombast really cool tho, is the turret it's friggin' mounted on; it's even armored!  This means the Uraeus can always fire at someone no matter their position or it's facing, which is extremely useful for a close-in scrapper. But this one great addition does not “save” the 'mech- everything about it is either poor, average, or “questionable” like a funky scent in an oft-used living room.

One final point should be brought up- BV. With all these weapons, one would think that the purpose to make a crappy 'mech would be to draw the BV down to rock-bottom levels, giving a player the chance to throw a 75 tonner into a game for little cost. This isn't the case. The Uraeus has a BV of 1843 and pulling random battlemechs from the massive Republic RATs reveals that it's value is similar to the Marauder MAD-9M2 / 9W2 and the Prefect PRF-1R. Though these obviously don't have the same roles, it's hard to argue against the 9M2 realizing that dual HPPCs and Streak 6's are friggin' sweet, and the 9W2 being a good city-fighter with it's huge jump, ECM and pulse/snubbie combo. If you go from the side of the brawlers some things get clearer- the Ureeus is the only 4/6 heavy with TSM in the Republic- but it's BV puts it against the cheaper ST-8A Shootist at 1507 (when did this get made- there were only like, 12 left!) and the “oh god what are you doing with that Vindicator engine” OTL-9R Ostsol at 1,654. Though both these mech's can only hit a max speed of 4/6, on average they'll be much more accurate and the job of keeping things away is something an AC/20 or a SLOWLY WALKING KITCHEN SINK FULL OF LASER BEAMS tend to do well.

So if you roll and strike this piece of strange metal, what do you do with it? Well, like most physical weapon carriers you would think to move in close, however the Ureaeus is at an odd middle ground. Without being fast or accurate enough to catch smaller foes (like the kickass TSG-10L Ti Ts'ang) you would be half-tempted to go after bigger opponents, but without jump jets the Uraeus isn't maneuverable enough on-foot to get to juicy rear areas or good vantage points. Heavier units also pose a problem- that armor issue will come into play there, and with fully half your crit slots now being “roll again” thanks to all the weight-savers the Uraeus is more vulnerable than usual. That 4-ton ammo bomb in the RT doesn't help much either, CASEII or no.

The best way I can see using one is to treat it as a point man in a lance, albeit a point man with no C3 and/or ECM and a bum leg. The most mileage you'll get out of one is something as a distraction- don't use it necessarily as a front line combatant, but let you're opponent take it for what it is and not focus much firepower onto it. Basically, let it be ignored. With the vibroblade you might be tempted to close, and with the bombast laser 's issues with accuracy you need to, but remember that it ain't no Berserker and only gets that knockout punch on a 6. As for the guns, keep firing em! The Uraeus doesn't need to keep it's heat up, but it does need to lessen the chances that it's ammo getting critted and your 'mechwarrior reduced to a drooling vegetable. With 30 rounds for the UAC, take hail-Mary shots and unless you need the TSM try for the streaks.

On the other side of the coin, remember that the Uraeus is oddly susceptible to crits for a standard engine machine and it is inaccurate at range. Try baiting one with lighter 'mechs first, and if not go for the old standby of 20-point smacks and 5-point followups. The armor again is weird and the Uraeus doesn't stand up well to the kiss of an AC/20, so any breached holes should down one quick. Finally, since the most accurate gun is a streak missile launcher, battle armor are good choices if you can bog one down.

To summarize, the Uraeus spreads itself too thin. Comstars (and by extension, the Republic's) hand-to-hand scrapper tries to fulfill as many roles as possible with some interesting weapon choices, but the fact is that any 'mech that can be improved by replacing existing guns with REGULAN large lasers might have some other issues. The space for a 4/6 moving, TSM using boxer in the Republic's arsenal is like a large and tasty waffle, but the Uraeus is a tiny shred of butter that barely lubricates the crevasses- only to taunt you of what could be something great.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Mech of the Week: Uraeus
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2014, 18:36:45 »
I, for one, am a proud member of the UAC/10 mafia, and heartily support its use.

I do not, however, support its use on something like the Uraeus, where a PPC of any stripe would be hands down the better choice simply because of TSM.  Replace the Bombast Laser with a real PPC, and the vibrosword with a hatchet, and you'll definitely have my notice.  Especially if you keep the turret.  Then you'd be throwing down 30 damage at mid-long range with even barely above average rolls.  That's not particularly great, but with a 34 point hatchet hit and Streaks to join the party at close range, it puts out the pain with no minimum range.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2014, 20:06:36 »
I prefer the quote from Blazing Saddles. "How did he perform... with such tiny feet?" - Hedy (That's Hedley!) Lamaar.

I thought the Bombast was a bit ridiculous just because of the huge penalties. (People complain about Heavy Lasers? Pikers.) Vibroblades on a TSM unit? All in all this is a whole lot of bizarre choices clumped together in one ball of WTHery.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2014, 21:24:10 »
Nice article Prince of Darkness. Though now I feel like I have to come to the Uraeus' rescue. Is it an awesome plate of awesome sauce? Nope. Is it a flaming ball of awful? Nope. Is it more than the sum of its parts with a surprising level of synergy? Absolutely. This 'Mech is all about powering up the TSM and getting into close range. No really, cloooose range. Like picking the opposing pilots nose close.

First off, the odd combination of TSM and the medium vibroblade. Yep, an activated vibroblade is not affected by TSM. An inactive vibroblade, on the other hand, is. So once the TSM is powered up that inactivated blade will smack your opponent around for 18 damage. Also, while a standard sword weighs would have weighed a ton less that the VB, its also three crits larger on a 'Mech that's already completely crit packed. Another point worth noting on the VB, there's nothing stopping you from activating it well outside of physical combat range for a free five heat to help warm up that TSM. Or if you'd rather stick to 30 point kicks for the physical attacks for that matter.

Next up, the Ultra AC/10. Like Scotty, I'm a big fan of this gun. Thankfully the Uraeus provides it with plenty of ammo to chew through. Fifteen turns if you double tap every round. As Prince pointed out, even with the CASE II it doesn't hurt to burn though the rounds as quickly as possible. As long as you can avoid Hellbie rolls that's good endurance and another eight points of heat toward that TSM.

On to the much maligned bombast laser. Not a great gun, but its adjustable nature is great for making sure you've got that perfect "9" on the heat scale the next turn. If you're staying in close contact with your targets that helps to overcome the targeting penalties. Honestly, it's one of the few times the gun actually makes sense.

The Streak SRM 4 is really the odd man out in this equipment menagerie.  The heat and ammo efficiency Streak systems are prized for is the exact opposite of what the Uraeus needs. If keeping the TSM charged is your goal (and it should be) don't rely on the Streak till the to hit numbers are favorable.

So the Uraeus isn't perfect by any metric, but it is made to be aggressive and most importantly it can be fun.  Especially if you don't mind playing a bit fast and loose with the dice gods. The eclectic weapon selection does actually work together, if somewhat creatively. Would I rather take a Kheper from a Comstar hanger? Yep.

*Edit* Small point of order.
It's genesis falls in Comstar's camp, who sided with the Republic's Senate in an attempted coup because of reasons or power or something that ended up in getting them smashed.
Buhl's Comstar and First Guard had no connection to the Senate Alliance.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2014, 08:15:32 by Pa Weasley »

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2014, 21:26:31 »
I can't help but read the real life subtext of the Uraeus as leftovers from a list-of-tech-we-should-showcase for the TRO.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2014, 22:17:07 »
Part of the problem is that we've seen this `Mech before.

Its basically a faster and lighter Seraph Invictus. Both have the TSM, both have the UAC10, both have a Streak missile system just to completely mess with the heat, and both have a melee weapon. The main difference is the Seraph has an accurate Snub-nose PPC and extra missiles, while the Uraeus (I wonder if the decision to use Egyptian names for both ComStar `Mechs means anything) packs a bombast laser instead.

Even the weapon placement is close to the same, with the UAC in the right arm, melee weapon in the left, a missile system and lots of ammo in the RT, and the energy weapon "on top."

Minor differences, but close enough that its like "Oh, hey. It the Seraph again."

And its got the same issues as the Seraph, without the ability to swap to one of the other configs.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2014, 23:08:52 »
3/10. Would not pilot unless explicitly ordered to. Even then, I'd constantly lobby for a personal upgrade.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2014, 23:17:18 »
Minor differences, but close enough that its like "Oh, hey. It the Seraph again."

That was my impression, too -- that the Uraeus is a suckier Seraph (and an unfortunate waste of precious TRO and RS page counts).

Between the below subpar ComGuard mechs and the vastly undergunned superheavy tripods, one gets the distinct impression that the Republic military is being setup to get taken down...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2014, 00:04:45 »
On the other hand, considering that the RAF has:

• The highest concentration of Clantech in the Sphere (including a couple actual Clans)
  • Rather sublime facewreckers like the Doloire, Kheper, Lament, and Malice (select variants)
  • The Celerity, which if you can't find a warcrime to commit using it you don't deserve to get one
  • Terra, and all that implies in terms of materiel

I'd say that the fact that the Republic's stinkers consist of designs they "appropriated" from the faction they obliterated that used them and that their gimmicky units are a little bit undergunned (though, for what it's worth, I don't consider Zeus, Hera, or Hephaestus undergunned) and overarmored doesn't mean a whole lot to the state of their affairs.

At least, not any more than the Storm Raider heralding the impending doom of the LC because it's awful.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2014, 01:17:47 »
keep in mind this is just what Comstar could put together on the sly. the weapons and systems are mostly items not in high demand in the mainstream. people will notice and get worried when shipments of Snub-PPC's vanish into thin air. a shipment of Bombast's going missing gets a 'good riddance, i thought they'd never move that junk'. the same for shipments of XL engines or Light engines vs standards. plenty of civilian stuff uses standard fusion.. XL's and light fusion engines are almost entirely military use, and shipments of those vanishing to build these mechs would be noticed. the XL gyro is an oddity there.. but i suspect gyroscope parts are less noticeable than engines and weapons. and it certainly beats a small cockpit as a weight saving tool.

i can only imagine what might have shown up had Comstar been given more time to develop their units and get sources of more advanced weapons to mount on them. the Blackout and the fall of the Republic really messed them over in that regard.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2014, 09:52:00 »
3/10. Would not pilot unless explicitly ordered to. Even then, I'd constantly lobby for a personal upgrade.

That's not a bad idea. After all, you're definitely not going to be piloting one after you'vve been thrown in the brig for insubordination. O0

Some thoughts regarding the Uraeus itself:

First off, forget the TSM. It's not a regular-use bit of gear, it's a handy surprise every now and then. Alpha-strike with all weapons as soon as they get into range, and keep it going. Dial the bombast laser to whatever setting you're comfortable with. By the time you get pretty close, the other guy should have some decent holes in him. At this point, switch on the vibroblade and dial up the laser to full punch to heat up. Now charge in close, and FINISH HIM.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2014, 16:23:55 »
Thanks for the review's, everyone!

First off, the odd combination of TSM and the medium vibroblade. Yep, an activated vibroblade is not affected by TSM. An inactive vibroblade, on the other hand, is. So once the TSM is powered up that inactivated blade will smack your opponent around for 18 damage. Also, while a standard sword weighs would have weighed a ton less that the VB, its also three crits larger on a 'Mech that's already completely crit packed. Another point worth noting on the VB, there's nothing stopping you from activating it well outside of physical combat range for a free five heat to help warm up that TSM. Or if you'd rather stick to 30 point kicks for the physical attacks for that matter.

I can't even believe that slipped my mind. That really makes the vibroblade more attractive- not just because it can pull that kind of double duty, but also because it so much smaller than a rather bulky sword.

On to the much maligned bombast laser. Not a great gun, but its adjustable nature is great for making sure you've got that perfect "9" on the heat scale the next turn. If you're staying in close contact with your targets that helps to overcome the targeting penalties. Honestly, it's one of the few times the gun actually makes sense.

Yeah, the bombast laser is used in a very novel way here, as it's more of a piece of equipment like ECM instead of a weapon. It could be easily dropped for other weapons, but would really loose some flavor if it did so.

*Edit* Small point of order.Buhl's Comstar and First Guard had no connection to the Senate Alliance.

Ach, my mistake.

That was my impression, too -- that the Uraeus is a suckier Seraph (and an unfortunate waste of precious TRO and RS page counts).

Between the below subpar ComGuard mechs and the vastly undergunned superheavy tripods, one gets the distinct impression that the Republic military is being setup to get taken down...

Even going though it I can't help but feel this way too; even if you kept the Turreted bombast for the cool factor there is so much you can do with the chassis and so much that should have been done- in this era, having a close-combat 'mech withTSM but no ECM is a baaaaaad move.

Hmm... how about a variant that drops the TSM and frees space for MASC/Supercharger and Laser AMS for active defense? Could be a new idea.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2014, 17:24:51 »

It might be even worse. The Kheper (also produced for ComStar's resurgent forces), is almost a direct clone of the Osprey. Sure, its 5/8 compared to 4/6/4, but they're both 55 tons, both have the GR, MML 7, 2 various types of Medium lasers and a small laser of some form. The CASE II on the Kheper is probably a life savor, but the XL gyro is probably just as bad as it was on the Grigori.

Or the ComGuards were. Keep in mind the RAF also has the Doloire, which is a pretty nice and accurate mixed-tech assault platform that's their "Flagship" design.

Interesting, 3 of the designs in a row (55, 65 and 75 tons) from the 3145 RAF booklet have XL gyros. Don't know if that was a conscious design IC or OOCly or if it just came out that way.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2014, 20:53:04 »
Rotary A/C 5 in the arm, Heavy PPC (or CERPPC, hey it's the Republic) in the turret, hatchet instead of vibroblade.  The Republic should have no problem fixing this.

That there would be a serviceable brawler.

To the patient go the spoils

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2014, 22:17:06 »
Rotary A/C 5 in the arm, Heavy PPC (or CERPPC, hey it's the Republic) in the turret, hatchet instead of vibroblade.  The Republic should have no problem fixing this.

That there would be a serviceable brawler.
LXPL or LVSPL.  Those are underused and better suited for a brawler than an HPPC.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2014, 22:27:40 »
Definitely the X.  Nobody ever seems to use the LXPL.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2014, 22:53:40 »
An unfortunate result of taking an unused Brent Evans concept art and applying an overly large dose of new toy syndrome.

200 new units in the 3145 readouts. They all couldn't be tournament winners.   @p?
I have spoken.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2014, 04:17:40 »
A Neanderthal it is not. I see it more as an example of how the Republic is really gearing up for war. Looks like they will use every chassis that they can get their hands on. And the Uraeus might not be as stellar as some other chassis, but it can hurt. And it is available.

But I wonder how many are around. I mean the new "ComGuards" weren´t that numerous.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2014, 10:14:38 »
A Neanderthal it is not. I see it more as an example of how the Republic is really gearing up for war. Looks like they will use every chassis that they can get their hands on. And the Uraeus might not be as stellar as some other chassis, but it can hurt. And it is available.

But I wonder how many are around. I mean the new "ComGuards" weren´t that numerous.

Well, since the Republic nationalized the company who was dealing with the Guard... as many as they want to churn out.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2014, 10:42:48 »

• The highest concentration of Clantech in the Sphere (including a couple actual Clans)
[/b]
  • Rather sublime facewreckers like the Doloire, Kheper, Lament, and Malice (select variants)
  • The Celerity, which if you can't find a warcrime to commit using it you don't deserve to get one

I'd say that the fact that the Republic's stinkers consist of designs they "appropriated" from the faction they obliterated that used them and that their gimmicky units are a little bit undergunned (though, for what it's worth, I don't consider Zeus, Hera, or Hephaestus undergunned) and overarmored doesn't mean a whole lot to the state of their affairs.

At least, not any more than the Storm Raider heralding the impending doom of the LC because it's awful.

I actually ran the numbers based on the RAT's in the most recent book (FM3145), with a slight errata from on high about the shifts on the list, and the Republic actually averages LOWER than several of its neighbours according to the RAT.  That isn't to say that the RATs are accurate, but it does bring up the questions as to how accurate this statement is.
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2014, 12:08:05 »
It may be all we have to go on right this moment, but I don't trust the RATs when it comes to propensity for Clan/not-Clan designs on the list.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2014, 20:47:52 »
LXPL or LVSPL.  Those are underused and better suited for a brawler than an HPPC.

Good question. The LXPL isn't used much, but can usually be replaced by the ER PPC with the range brackets and similar heat profile. Since the Uraeus will usually be in-close, the Variable-speed version might be a better choice.

That reminds me- I need to do a workshop for the Uraeus; might as well see what everyone can come up with.
Cowdragon:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2014, 06:22:40 »
A great review of an oddball mech :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2014, 07:55:17 »

I don't want to derail the thread with an RAF deadpool.  I was mainly trying to be humorous.

That said, I still think that, based on FM3145 and TRO3145, the RAF is getting set up to be taken down.  (Obviously given the existence of the ilClan product.)

Concentration is one thing, but quantity is another.  The RAF's battlemech strength is just under 20 regiments circa 3145, or over 2,100 mechs assuming 108 mechs per regiment.  The Wolves (for example) field 75 battlemech clusters at the same time, or over 3,300 mechs assuming 45 mechs per cluster.  Even if the RAF has a higher percentage of Clan mechs, the Wolves' higher total of mechs probably means have a higher total number of Clan mechs, even if their percentage is lower.

And heaven help the RAF if more than one Clan gangs up on them.

I dunno.  The only two of those designs that I'd say could regularly beat an old Clan omni in their rough weight class are the Doloire and the Malice -YZ.  Again, using the Wolves as an example, when their new designs are factored in (Warwolf, Tomahawk, Shark MadCats), I think the balance shifts in favor the Clan designs.

The Celerity can perform some destructive, one-time stunts, but they're just that -- one-time stunts.  This is my problem with a lot of the RAF hardware like the Celerity, the Revenant, the Night Stalker and the superheavy tripods -- it's very trick-oriented instead of providing superior, sustained, mobile firepower.

I agree that this is the wild card.  We don't know how long the Republic has to rearm/uparm between 3145 and whenever the events that lead to the ilClan commence.  But given enough time and the black box fiat machine that is Terra, everything I've written above could be reversed.

My two C-bills.  YMMV.

« Last Edit: 15 February 2014, 09:21:29 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2014, 16:53:52 »

I would have gone for a small Viroblade, sure it doesn't generate as much heat but it still does as much damage in unpowered mode, but it's 2 tons lighter and half the crits of the medium

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2014, 16:59:56 »
designwise, the Uraeus is a bit of a mess. it's a very obvious mess too, with the oversize torso making all the other components look anemic in comparison. most likely designed to shoulder the armored turret-mounted weapon, the main body of the Uraeus is a massive brick that looks barely balanced on its tiny, exposed waist coupling. this gives it more than a slight shade of the Thanatos although that 'mech could at least boast that it's legs were in proportion.

The Uraeus's lower body looks build for a 'mech 10 tons lighter and missing the toes. (suspicions that they bribed their way through rough terrain testing go sadly unanswered at this time) this somewhat underwhelming impression expends to the left arm as well, with the dubious melee weapon mounted along a painfully stunted arm that gives a slight impression of having been stripped of the armor prior to the shoot. the opposite arm managed to feels somewhat in proportion to the torso, likely in large part thanks to the bulk of the autocannon it's designed around, but this only contributes to a lopsided appearance which absolutely nothing about the design seems prepared to compensate for.

ultimately, the design of the Uraeus reflects it's build which is to say it's built like somone who had been making machines for the blakists until recently is trying to remember how non-blakist mech units operate. don't worry chuck, you'll get it eventually....

but seriously, the toes on a Uraeus might make it the first battlemech whose speeds are best catagorized as mince and  frolic.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2014, 03:58:49 »
Hi, the designer here, come to take my lumps.

First, I have to say I don't give a fig for efficiency, so making it the killingliest mech possible was about priority 8 on my list (I made the Antlion, after all).  Second, I started with the concept art (an earlier draft, but fundamentally the same) which mandated a 4-pack launcher of some sort.  Third, I had some developer input that pushed for a medium vibroblade and a bombast laser.  So I worked from there.

Since the bombast laser is fun but kind of meh as a weapon, I decided to spruce it up a bit.  The grooves in the arm barrel seemed to indicate an autocannon, and the LB-10X is done to death so I went with a UAC-10 for variety's sake.  Light ferro is something I often resort to.  The speed was left low simply because it looked like a slow mech - having the art beforehand dictates a lot of things like that to me.

I originally wanted some a-pods on there for the Dark Age prevalence of infantry, but they got cut along the way.

The idea that it's so bad that it must be part of a set up for the Republic to fall is hilarious.

Cheers.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2014, 04:29:27 »
If you want a quirky weapon you could replace the Bombast with a Blazer, you'd have to re-jiggle the weight as the Blazer's 2 tonnes heavier but I'm sure that could be found somewhere.  I also think its great that the mechs designer came here and said stuff :)
« Last Edit: 16 February 2014, 04:31:13 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 16 February 2014, 11:19:45 »
The idea that it's so bad that it must be part of a set up for the Republic to fall is hilarious.

Well we have an "ilClan" book on the way, which implies quite a lot.
Cowdragon:

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 16 February 2014, 12:47:33 »
And has, from my understanding of what Xotl just came in here and flat out told us, exactly 0% relation to the Uraeus.  Possibly even less than that.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679