Author Topic: Riverbend - free map!  (Read 6072 times)

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
Riverbend - free map!
« on: 15 February 2014, 23:26:09 »
I am always on the lookout for Hex maps to use in my Btech games and I stumbled upon this free (and superb!) map

Riverbend

I though I'd share it with you guys :)

Do let me know of sites that have similar artwork for Btech!!

RiTz21

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Riverbend - free map!
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2014, 23:53:40 »
It's well done and strongly resembles the map sheets.  Kudos to the designer.  Bravo!

There are several threads covering map-sheet battlefields.  Unfortunately, I don't know all of their titles, but there are only 10 pages to sort through. 

One designer has takes aerial photos and made hexed terrain maps from them.  Others use different styles. 

The most popular thread in this part of the forum has lots and lots of different battlefields.  The art work is more stylized and less realistic, but the variety of maps is tremendous.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,520.0.html

I hope these give you or the designer some inspiration for making new designs.

Happy hunting,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2014, 02:22:27 »
Interesting map, I always thought we needed more river maps.
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2014, 21:27:32 »
I've been thinking of printing that map so I can use it in Game... (I have so few maps :( )
I did some searching around, and I figure it would cost $20+ to have it printed on a 18"x22" paper.. not ideal for my low budget... (and on paper at that!)

I examined the Maps provided in the 25th introductory box set and I will be trying to make it myself: I've printed the Map in 6 parts, and I am now looking to see how exactly I can assemble them on some cardboard to make a fold-able map (like in that box set).

Any recommendations as to what supplies to use/take for such a project?
How should it all be assembled to make a high quality map?

RiTz21
« Last Edit: 10 April 2014, 22:06:10 by RiTz21 »

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2014, 22:29:57 »
I appreciate the kind words on my work. You can actually see more about it and my other map projects in the original thread.

I really should get around to finishing the coastline set, once I have a bit less work on my plate.
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2014, 11:26:19 »
I decided to print & mount this map on a Foamboard.
I based the folding pattern on the Maps I got from the 25th Anniversary Box set.... and I'm quite satisfied with the results!!!

The foamboard I had on hand was a bit thick though (3/16") - It would be better with something thinner. I'll have to check at the local store if they have thinner foamboards. Also, it was white... perhaps a BLACK one would have been better to 'hide' the seems.

RiTz21
« Last Edit: 21 April 2014, 17:13:19 by RiTz21 »

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2014, 12:57:52 »
Could I print these from my home printer or would I need to get it done at a FedEx store or something? Kat, you've heard this a thousand times already, but these maps of yours are awesome.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2014, 16:36:56 »
I decided to print & mount this map on a Foamboard.
I based the folding pattern on the Maps I got from the 25th Anniversary Box set.... and I'm quite satisfied with the results!!!

The foamboard I had on hand was a bit think though (3/16") - It would be better with something thinner. I'll have to check at the local store if they have thinner foamboards. Also, it was white... perhaps a BLACK one would have been better to 'hide' the seems.

RiTz21

It looks great!

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2014, 16:43:05 »
Could I print these from my home printer or would I need to get it done at a FedEx store or something? Kat, you've heard this a thousand times already, but these maps of yours are awesome.

Thank you, I'm glad everyone's enjoying them so much.  :)

You can print it either at home or commercially. However, the full size of the map is 18x22 inches (7.09x8.7 cm). Most home printers are not equipped to handle paper of that size, so if you print it at home, you will have to print it in sections. A commercial printer should be able to the full map on a single page. (Their printers are often a higher quality, as well.)

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2014, 17:56:12 »
Thank you, I'm glad everyone's enjoying them so much.  :)
I wish I could find MORE maps such as yours... my Map collection is too small (4x Maps) :(

I did try to buy from ebay, but the price is too high (shipping cardboard to Canada is ridiculously costly). Hence why my best bet is create more home made Maps!

R

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2014, 18:05:25 »
I wish I could find MORE maps such as yours... my Map collection is too small (4x Maps) :(

I did try to buy from ebay, but the price is too high (shipping cardboard to Canada is ridiculously costly). Hence why my best bet is create more home made Maps!

R

I'm actually working on more maps right now. Hoping to have the "Coastline" double-spread map finish in the next week or so.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2014, 19:37:33 »
How do you download it? I wasn't able find the actual link to bring it down.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2014, 20:11:14 »
How do you download it? I wasn't able find the actual link to bring it down.

If you follow the link, there is a "download" button on the right-hand side of the page. That will open a new window with the full-size image.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2014, 20:14:20 »
If you follow the link, there is a "download" button on the right-hand side of the page. That will open a new window with the full-size image.
Thanks!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2014, 12:05:19 »
Could I print these from my home printer or would I need to get it done at a FedEx store or something?

Printing the map on my printer is exactly what I did - although I had to 'split' it in 6 perfect pieces to fit the folding layout.
So I needed a bit of graphics manipulation to split the original image - I wouldn't mind sharing those 6 'split' images if the original author allows it. Of course, it would be even better if the author would provide these... *hint hint*  O:-)

RiTz21

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2014, 19:53:45 »
Printing the map on my printer is exactly what I did - although I had to 'split' it in 6 perfect pieces to fit the folding layout.
So I needed a bit of graphics manipulation to split the original image - I wouldn't mind sharing those 6 'split' images if the original author allows it.

It says pretty clearly on the original page that the map is not to be redistributed.

Of course, it would be even better if the author would provide these... *hint hint*  O:-)

RiTz21

I have provided a way for people to easily get the map printed, which I linked to on the original page. Although if anyone has suggestions for better or alternate distribution, feel free to PM me about them.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2014, 19:56:15 »
So I needed a bit of graphics manipulation to split the original image - I wouldn't mind sharing those 6 'split' images if the original author allows it. Of course, it would be even better if the author would provide these... *hint hint*  O:-)

RiTz21

Pretty please with a cherry on top!!!  ;D
Or just tell us how you split up the image. I'm not very experienced with image manipulation programs.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2014, 05:44:55 »
Or just tell us how you split up the image. I'm not very experienced with image manipulation programs.

This is just a question of knowing the image size, then splitting it with your favorite graphic tool (I used an outdated version of Paint shop pro) - Basically, any tool that has a CROP ability should work. Google will help you find one (Gimp comes to mind for a free one)
Youtube will show you how it is done, should you wish a visual example.

For the Riverbend image, I ended up with 6x files, each being 1350x1100 in size.

RiTz21

Register