Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Wulfen  (Read 16818 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
'Mech of the Week: Wulfen
« on: 28 February 2014, 07:03:00 »
‘Mech of the Week: Wulfen OmniMech

Wulfen, Technical Readout: 3145, p. 97

Perhaps it was only a matter of time. The Clans had been coyly playing with Inner Sphere technologies and tactics since the Jihad. The Ghost Bears took the first steps, mounting basic stealth armor on the Rogue Bear (Hybrid) suit. Still when I first laid eyes on the Wulfen I could help but echo some of Charlton Heston’s final lines from Planet of the Apes.  The mating of Clan OmniMech technology and Inner Sphere stealth armor was official here.

Of course even among the Wolves the creation of such a ‘Mech couldn’t go unchallenged.

Star Colonel Josiah Ward publicly denounce both the Wulfen and by extension Khan Seth Ward himself.  Selecting one of the prototypes freshly manufactured in the Occupation Zone, saKhan Garner Kerensky would challenge the detractor to a Trial of Grievance. The saKhan piloted the stooped, lupine light into the circle of equals and picked apart the Star Colonel’s Hellbringer at range. From that time on the grousing from the Clan’s warriors would cease.

Dramatic introductions aside, what does this 30 ton OmniMech having going for it? First and foremost, there’s that Ismar V-Stealth armor. Six and a half is sufficient to provide near maximum coverage – all sections have a hundred percent of the theoretical maximum with the exception of head. Eight points of armor isn’t a deal breaker for me. Most Clan weapons that can’t take all the armor off a fully protected head still leave a point or three clinging to the Wulfen’s noggin. Scalps aside, the protection is as good as one can hope for. The weakest forward protection is on the arms and side torsos. Ten points is just enough to stop a Clan large pulse laser which is good since it’s one of the most serious direct threats the Wulfen is likely to face. More on that later. Fourteen points protect the legs and fifteen cover the center torso. The rear torso armor is understandably thin but thankfully this Omni’ is more likely to being doing the back stabbing.

The Wulfen’s second greatest asset, and its most significant liability, come from the power plant. A 300 rated engine enable top speeds of 162 kph. High speeds and stealth armor make the Wulfen a difficult target indeed. Unfortunately the Model 39b is of the XXL variety. The extra fragility doesn’t bother me too much. Light ‘Mech aren’t long for this world once they start taking damage. The heat is the issue. With stealth armor activated, just standing still will generate twelve points of heat. Sixteen points moving at full speed. Not so much that the ten fixed double heat sinks can’t handle it, but it won’t take much weapon fire for things to get warm. The engine isn’t the only weight saving construction material used. The endo steel frame utilized is fairly common among Clan lights. The Inner Sphere XL gyroscope isn’t. As with the engine, the fragile gyroscope doesn’t raise my hackles in this situation. All told, the Wulfen is left with ten tons of pod space. That places it smack dab between the Arctic Cheetah and the Hellion while maintaining higher sustained ground speed and nearly equal to greater armor. And don’t forget that all important, sensor confounding stealth is powered by a head-mounted ECM suite.  The basic ‘Mech is off to a solid start for a skirmisher or general ranged combatant. It also makes the Wulfen a fantastic battle armor taxi in the same vein as the Fire Moth

As I’ve mentioned before, the weapons make the ‘Mech. With the specialty armor it makes sense to stay at range and the Wulfen’s speed helps to ensure opponents stay at arm’s length. Most on the seven canon configurations are built around this paradigm. Thankfully only one of them makes you to scratch your head, pondering when the Wolves found a cache of absinthe. 

Wulfen Prime – The Prime arguably does the best job of playing up the base chassis’ strengths while curbing the drawbacks. The prominent left arms gun slot is occupied by an Ultra AC/2 fed a single, CASE II protected bin. CASE II is a huge boon for any ‘Mech, especially one powered by an XXL engine. An ATM 3 is mounted on the right arm similarly fed by a well-protected ton of ammo. Given that extended range missiles and the small-bore autocannon have matching range brackets, I’d be tempted to pick ER rounds over the higher damage munitions. The Wulfen Prime won’t be scoring any quick victories but it can sustain fire at fantastic range. Once the stealth armor is activated even the best of marksman fits attempting to return fire. Range aside, a handy perk of these two cool running weapon systems is that they mesh nicely with the heat hog armor and engine. So much so that that even with an open throttle, engaged stealth, and all guns a blazin’ the coolant system keeps the ‘Mech heat neutral. The primary has one last interesting tidbit. Tucked into the left torso is a half ton of cargo space. Not terribly useful for short trials. But for long term campaigns or, shall we say, interesting assignments, it does provide some possibilities.

Wulfen A –  A quartet of additional double heat sinks have been split between the side torsos, a tie for the most of any Wulfen configuration. It is justified. Using one of the best ‘Mech scale weapons yet devised by man and stealth armor generates a fair bit of waste heat. Those fourteen heat sinks enable the Wulfen can casually stroll at 108 kph, take a ‘Mech’s head clean off at just shy of 700 meters with the ER PPC, all the while running stealth armor for a wee plus one on the heat scale. So terrifyingly simple even a Khan-murdering, tactically brilliant, genetic abomination can use it.

Wulfen B – saKhan Kerensky’s configuration for this trial against Star Colonel Ward is the basis for the Wulfen’s second alternative configuration. The B maintains the long range energy weapon theme though this Wulfen trades heat efficiency and power for agility and accuracy. An ER large laser and an extra double heat sink take the place of the A’s ER PPC in the left arm. The torso pods mount a targeting computer for its solitary weapon as well as a supercharger. Another familiar with the Fire Moth configuration used by Ghost Bear Khan Aletha Kabrinski may be salivating just a bit. The cooling system is just enough to handle the stealth armor and weapon fire. Heat from the XXL engine will start pushing up the temperature gauge so you may have to give the laser or stealth systems a rest after a few volleys. The last three available tons are taken up by jump jets - handy for finding a convenient sniping perch or traversing difficult terrain. Just bear in mind that XXL fusion engines cause jump jets to generate twice their normal heat. So a full jump and armor is sufficient to tax the heat sinks.  Of course if you’re close enough to need the jets to maneuver among opponents, it’s probably best to deactivate the stealth armor anyway.

Wulfen C – The C configuration takes a difference approach from the previous mentioned models. Three ER medium lasers and an ever-so-useful targeting computer find their way in the left arm pod. Both side torsos are completely stuffed with jump jets giving this model a 300 meter jump range. Again, remember that unfortunate XXL engine/jump jet interaction.  The single extra heat sink in the right arm is just enough to keep cool firing all three lasers while running. This little Wulfen seems to be configured around delivering and supporting battle armor in nearly any terrain. The opposition will certainly have a tough time trying to eliminating the ‘Mech and friends as they close.  Depending on the opponent’s configuration, it may be a safe bet to turn off the stealth once you’re in close enough range to start firing your own weapons; relying more on speed to keep you safe. Just one Wulfen C supported by a point of LB-X equipped Black Wolf battle armor is a scary thought. An entire nova … shudder.

Wulfen D –Yeah, this one’s the head shaker.  Mismatched weapon ranges. Low potential damage. The only thing the Wulfen D really has going for it beyond the base chassis in heat efficiency and ammo endurance. Mimicking the Prime, the left arm autocannon has been swapped for an LB-X model. The missiles have been “upgraded” to an SRM 2 questionably enhanced by an Artemis V fire control system. Like the Prime, the single ammo bin for each weapon is CASE II protected. The D does have (limited) anti-vehicle capabilities but I have a hard time getting enthusiastic for a Clan light ‘Mech that can consistently inflict more damage by kicking. [FYI, the D is based on the stats presented when the Wulfen was introduced in MechWarrior: Dark age, sans a Narc beacon.]

Wulfen E – The E returns to the close combat approach and likely battle armor delivery. A trio of lasers again resides in the left arm, though one of them has been replaced with a mico pulse laser for a bit of anti-infantry capability. The targeting computer remains to enhance all three guns. Each torso has an ATM 3 rack fed by a shared CASE II protected bin. Given the short-ranged inclination of the configuration I would more than likely be bringing high explosive missiles.  Mobility enhancements come from a supercharger and a single double heat sink finishes off the configuration. The cooling system is adequate to fire the medium lasers while keeping the stealth armor activated with minimal heat issues though I’d forgo the extra heat from the stealth after I start making heavy use of the ATMs. Otherwise you’ll be needing to avoid all sorts of unpleasantries in short order. If you’re really dedicated to keeping your to-hit numbers high with the stealth modifier, alternating missiles and lasers will be enough to keep the Wulfen E free of heat related issues.

Wulfen H – The Wulfen H just edges out the E for the highest potential damage of any known configuration. Unfortunately the four pod mounted double heat sinks aren’t up to the task of consistently utilizing that capability. The “big gun” spot in the left arm is filled by an improved heavy large laser and an improved heavy medium laser finds a home in each side torso. If you’re willing to shut off the stealth armor once you’re in fighin’ range some smart firing patterns really make the H shine. A running alpha strike will push you to a toasty plus eight on the heat scale. Firing just the mediums while keeping the pedal to the floor will completely cool the ‘Mech, allowing you to bathe your opponent in all laser light this light Omni’ can produce at the next opportunity. You’ll note those unstable medium lasers are not protected by CASE II like the ammunition bins of the previous configurations.  Any damage to those guns will likely result in the Wulfen’s pilot needing to catch a ride home.

The Wolf Empire has converted at least one of Kallon Weapon Industries’ lines on Thermopolis to start producing the Wulfen so the Empire’s enemies will continue to face this annoyingly difficult machine. So what should you do when standing opposite a Wulfen? First, hope it’s the D configuration. Failing that, closing to where the stealth armor’s efficacy is reduced in a good start. Pulse lasers are the weapons of choice. As noted toward the beginning of this article, the arm and torso armor can only withstand a single hit from a Clan large pulse laser. Two successive strikes against a side torso will be more than enough to blow the section to smithereens thus disabling the ‘Mech. Of course area affect weapons like artillery and certain ‘Mech mortar munitions types don’t care how high your movement modifiers are. Neither do mines. Nor does ortillery, but that’s just for those days you can’t be bothered to get out of the barracks.

As mentioned earlier, the Wulfen was made its debut in Mechwarrior: Dark Age, specifically the Wolf Strike expansion. Like so many other visually striking designs from the game, we have Catalyst’s own Brent Evans to thank for this snazzy little OmniMech … and the much stats as well.

Oh look, here’s a piece of a chat transcript on that very topic.

jymset: I modeled all configurations after Brent's wishes.
He submitted the whole bunch to me.
We played with the base chassis quite a bit, I suggested the stealth armour and he loved it.

Pa Weasley: SO YOU'RE THE HERETIC!

jymset: I doodled with the XXL, he also loved it and wouldn't let me go back, wanting the speed at all costs.

Same with the B, which I'd have preferred to drop the jump jets for 3 more double heat sinks, creating a mini-maxed monster.

Nope, Brent had set ideas for it.

And I appreciated his creativity - TRO 3145 had no shortness of mini maxed monsters.

The two Wolf totem 'Mechs livened up the Clan section hugely because they *work*, yet their design comes from an aesthetic visionary for whom optimized game stats are not a criterion.

And in that spirit, I added the D simply because I could.

Paying lip service to the foolishness of established stats. (And it's not even that crap. It mates the LB-2X (instead of UAC/2) to the frame, which IMO is a really good match. It's the cheapest in terms of BV :D)

I slipped it into the "D" position because then the ATM version would be the E.
This mirrors some of the early omni naming conventions nicely (including the D mirroring a prior configuration but swapping UAC/LB-X cannons, namely the Puma B and D).

So yeah, we all knew what we were doing when we settled on the final Wulfen. Including the C. I made Brent very well aware of how ridiculous the heat would be if we went with an XXL on the C. But it was alright by him. He may be a visionary, but he also can't be a stranger to managing heat in a 3025 Rifleman. :D

Pa Weasley: At least it discourages unnecessary bunny-hopping.

jymset: Pretty much so! :D

Of course the Master Unit List is a good place to find battle values and faction availability of the Wulfen. CamoSpecs Online doesn’t have any examples ready at this time, but Iron Wind Metals does have a preview image of the miniature available.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Wulfen
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2014, 09:03:58 »
OK, stupid question time. What's the in universe reason for the Wolves using Stealth Armor and not Null Sig?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2014, 09:30:48 »
Yeah, one of my play test notes for this one was the poor C cooking it's pilot with stealth + jumping + weapon fire.  Reading the "behind the scenes" transcript it makes more sense  :D

I'm not sure what I think of this little guy to be honest due to the heat issues.  It's something I'd have to play with to better understand the nuances I think.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2014, 09:47:57 »
I don't think its a dueling mech. It seems to be a scout and a long ranged sniper except for its few close in brawler variants.

Most Clans are foregoing Zell these days if it isn't against Clan opponents. The Wulfen's natural predator is probably the Eyrie since interactions between Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf may force duels. Rather than engagements against the Republic, FWL, or Lyrans.

Its other possible enemy, now that they have switched occupation zones, in a duel would be the Sea Fox Tiburon. Which doesn't have nearly the speed the Wulfen has.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2014, 10:30:12 »
I've used the B and C a few times and they work pretty well if you leave the stealth armor off. The 'Mechs they kill tend to die with undamaged front armor.   ;)
I have spoken.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2014, 10:39:20 »
The A is essentially a Talon IIC, and thus is my most favoritest mech ever. I haven't tried any of the others, but I get the feeling that the C won't be firing or using its stealth armor very often... But I do admit, pairing them with Black Wolves is a horrific idea that will cause much carnage. If you pair Black Wolves with an A or B variant, you can punch holes and then critseek them with the battle armor.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2014, 13:04:44 »
I'm still scratching my head as to why Clans would be incorporating Spheroid stealth armor instead of the superior SLDF CPLS and Null-Sig systems that they (or at least the Society) still have access to.

I'm also scratching my head as to why the Wulfen lacks a large pulse laser configuration.

Those head-scratchers aside, the Wulfen, especially in the first few configurations, is one of the better adaptations of the Clickytech legacy designs.  It genuinely pushes the limits of mech design and capabilities while still producing a useful and dangerous design.  It's too bad the Warwolf and Tomahawk weren't designed more in the Wulfen's vein.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2014, 10:14:01 »
I'm still scratching my head as to why Clans would be incorporating Spheroid stealth armor instead of the superior SLDF CPLS and Null-Sig systems that they (or at least the Society) still have access to.

The IS Clans are NOT the 'homeworld' Clans.  They have lost the ability to build certain 'standard' designs (Clan BA, Timberwolf etc) and their ability to re-create 'high tech' like Null-Sig would be seriously reduced (Wolves and Falcons more so?), even *if* they brought the details on how to build it with them to the Inner Sphere.  They probably used Stealth armour because they can build it, and relatively easily + cheaply compared to Null-Sig.

Oh, another important thing, with all the moves the Wolves have made, haven't they left most if their labour caste behind?  Maybe they don't have the labourers (techs/factory workers) skilled/capable of making Null-Sig in enough quantity to outfit 'Mechs?  IS Stealth armor on the other hand is less complex and can be built in enough quantity?

I'm also scratching my head as to why the Wulfen lacks a large pulse laser configuration.

Honestly?  It looks like the Wulfen configs are designed to fight at very long range (UAC 2, LB 2-X, ER-Large Laser, ER,PPC), or up close (ER-Medium Lasers, Heavy Lasers).  It could be the Large Pulse Laser was considered a 'mid-range' weapon and the Wulfen is not supposed to fight at that range?

If a LPL Laser was being used at its long range, even against IS opponents there are a lot of weapons that can reach it.  Yes the speed + stealth will make it very hard to hit, but for a 'sniper' being outside the range of return fire is better.  When designing something to fight 'up close' it seems the Clans tend to not use the LPL.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2014, 10:35:01 »
Wulfen D –Yeah, this one’s the head shaker.  Mismatched weapon ranges. Low potential damage. The only thing the Wulfen D really has going for it beyond the base chassis in heat efficiency and ammo endurance. Mimicking the Prime, the left arm autocannon has been swapped for an LB-X model. The missiles have been “upgraded” to an SRM 2 questionably enhanced by an Artemis V fire control system. Like the Prime, the single ammo bin for each weapon is CASE II protected. The D does have (limited) anti-vehicle capabilities but I have a hard time getting enthusiastic for a Clan light ‘Mech that can consistently inflict more damage by kicking. [FYI, the D is based on the stats presented when the Wulfen was introduced in MechWarrior: Dark age, sans a Narc beacon.]

This looks like it is designed to used the LB 2-X (cluster ammo) to disable (or slow down) vehicles and leave them for heavier / better armed / slower friendlies to kill.   A very long range harraser that leaves the 'killing blow' to others (and oh how that would set the 'old' Wolf warriors spinning in their graves #P)

It probably uses a SRM 2 because it's NOT going to do enough damage to make it worthwhile to get close to a target and risk return fire. (and if it is an anti-vehicle design, loaded with Infernos just in case something does make it close)

With it's speed the Wulfen D can chase down, or stay at range, some of the faster types of vehicles (VTOL, Hover, WiGE) and doesn't the LB-X get increased chances to crit some of those?

Sure, in a Battletech game staying 25+ hexes away and plinking with a single LB 2-X is no fun, but with the increased use of vehicles a Wulfen D could (given enough time) disable a significant amount of an enemies vehicles.

Personally I would like the Wulfen D to have the ATM 3 (ER ammo) from the Prime, but it's got a LB 2-X and that's good enough for me >:D

(plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, ...... hmmmm, maybe I can swap the Artemis V for more cluster ammo?  :D)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2014, 11:34:17 »
Well, that and an LB-X is a rude surprise for VTOLs, ASF, and conventional fighters.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2014, 14:41:57 »
The IS Clans are NOT the 'homeworld' Clans.  They have lost the ability to build certain 'standard' designs (Clan BA, Timberwolf etc) and their ability to re-create 'high tech' like Null-Sig would be seriously reduced (Wolves and Falcons more so?), even *if* they brought the details on how to build it with them to the Inner Sphere.  They probably used Stealth armour because they can build it, and relatively easily + cheaply compared to Null-Sig.

To be frank, Stealth armor does have one big advantage over null-sig/CLPS- units using it cannot be targeted as secondaries, and for a 10/15 mover that's a big advantage. Also, the clans still build the Elemental suits and Timberwolves, just in such low numbers that it's practically a trickle and cheaper just to switch to "Clan Standard" armor.

Honestly?  It looks like the Wulfen configs are designed to fight at very long range (UAC 2, LB 2-X, ER-Large Laser, ER,PPC), or up close (ER-Medium Lasers, Heavy Lasers).  It could be the Large Pulse Laser was considered a 'mid-range' weapon and the Wulfen is not supposed to fight at that range?

If a LPL Laser was being used at its long range, even against IS opponents there are a lot of weapons that can reach it.  Yes the speed + stealth will make it very hard to hit, but for a 'sniper' being outside the range of return fire is better.  When designing something to fight 'up close' it seems the Clans tend to not use the LPL.

It's because that would be too overpowered. There is very little reason to NOT put an LPL on most chassis that I can think of.

Those head-scratchers aside, the Wulfen, especially in the first few configurations, is one of the better adaptations of the Clickytech legacy designs.  It genuinely pushes the limits of mech design and capabilities while still producing a useful and dangerous design.  It's too bad the Warwolf and Tomahawk weren't designed more in the Wulfen's vein.

Hey Nikky, since you brought it up, what would you have done with the Warwolf and Tomahawk? I'd really like to know.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2014, 16:47:05 »
I've used every version of the Wulfen to great effect since I first saw (and became enamored) with it. The Prime actually starts things off pretty decently, even though its weaponry isn't all that impressive; it has great brackets that it can really take advantage of to plink away at things. The Ultra and ER ATM ammunition both have short ranges of 9 and medium ranges of 18; this makes it an especially potent mid-range fighter, since even weapons like ER Large Lasers, LB-X-5s and HAGs will be in their long range bracket at ranges (16)-17-18. Even Large Pulse Lasers are a bit less worrisome at those ranges, so you can take your time at carving up lighter 'mechs and vees that can't even catch up to you.

The A is one I'm actually not a big fan of. Although the ERPPC is nice, the range bands aren't; you'll be facing return fire a lot more often that you'd typically like. If you're willing to stay far it's manageable, but I prefer to stick with the...B. Oh boy. The heat is harder to manage, but I've used these to carve up half a dozen of assault 'Mechs so far. You've got one of the best weapons around, the CERLL, with range brackets that let you pick on ERPPC and Gauss Boats. The Supercharger and TargComp give you a bit more tactical flexibility; you can quickly rush in for a backstab on a slow-moving assault, switch on the TargComp's aiming mechanism, and slice up whatever section you want. Or you can use the two pieces of equipment to push up on the heat scale a bit more aggressively, relying on the two pieces of technology to ignore movement and wepaon accuracy penalties. And the Jump Jets are there just to make you even harder to pin down and kill. The B truly is a work of art.

The C is nice, but in a different way. I'm quite fond of it. Use the stealth to run in, but turn it off once within optimal range. Then you can start acting like an intro-tech Jenner or Phoenix Hawk; run behind whatever you want, fire away, then jump 10 to wherever you want if you lose initiative or are drawing too much unwanted attention. On another note, jumping 10 and firing all three ER Mediums will leave you at 13 heat - not a single shutdown roll required!! And the TargComp on this variant means you can force a PSR more often than not, especially if you start bullying slower 'Mechs.

The D...uhhh...take it if you really need a fast LB-X-2, I guess.

The E is a sort of a close-combat version of the B. It's interesting, I enjoy playing it very aggressively. If you run in and fire everything, it'll leave you heat neutral with stealth off and at +9 with stealth on. This means that you can run into the middle of enemy forces, alpha on top of whatever you want, then do another running backstab attack but with stealth off to drop down to +8 heat. Then you can turn stealth on for the third turn and if you've planned things out, use that 9 MP to walk behind some cover or into unfavorable range brackets to go heat neutral again and get ready for another slashing attack.

Then the H is another super-aggressive model. Stealth to close in, then alpha whatever you want. One point of order; a full alpha at a run will actually put you at +10 on the heat scale, which means that you can alpha, then stealth and run to go neutral, or you can play things more cautiously and keep the stealth on while firing the two Heavy Mediums for +2 heat...but seriously, if you're fielding Heavy Lasers, why play conservatively?!

All in all, I find this thing disgustingly powerful. I've come to start asking my opponents if they mind if I field one...I find it that good.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2014, 17:37:48 »
To be frank, Stealth armor does have one big advantage over null-sig/CLPS- units using it cannot be targeted as secondaries, and for a 10/15 mover that's a big advantage. Also, the clans still build the Elemental suits and Timberwolves, just in such low numbers that it's practically a trickle and cheaper just to switch to "Clan Standard" armor.

The Falcons and Horses still mass-produce the Elemental BA in the Inner Sphere.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2014, 17:57:40 »
The Falcons and Horses still mass-produce the Elemental BA in the Inner Sphere.

And neither of them are building the Wulfen.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2014, 21:10:14 »
And neither of them are building the Wulfen.

I don't think it would be too much to have them both trade with other council members.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2014, 21:46:58 »
I've gotten to use the Wulfen couple times now, I've had bad experiences with it.  I wasn't using it properly, specially i forgot it had Stealth armor!     I was hoping to use this thing as a flanker and harrasser, which it did okay.  I believe both times, i was stuck with a BV 10k for my force, but i needed guns to be able really hurt my opponents still need field least battle armor squad.  I ended up with Elemental IIs, Thunderbird BAs and Warwolf, Black Hawk II 3 and Wulfen Prime (bv costs for the other configs were too high.).

I tried use the speed try keep the Wulfen safe, but some early shots on the Mechs from hidden units destroyed the armor enough so Stealth couldn't be used beyond first two rounds i had with the Mech intact.   Being a Drop Port fight next to urban area, it just was tough goings with pilot checks.  I managed to get a hit or two in, but ultimately, i was unable to really effectively use the Wulfen.  It got nuked once hit a building from a skid.  I wish they had been able make the 'Mech little more durable, but i guess numb to light Mech tactics it wasn't mean to be.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2014, 00:40:13 »
I don't think it would be too much to have them both trade with other council members.

Well, aside from the fact that the Falcons and Horses are actively FIGHTING the Wolves over the carcass of the Lyran Commonwealth....

Remember Tharkad and Hesperus II?

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2014, 01:03:31 »
Well, aside from the fact that the Falcons and Horses are actively FIGHTING the Wolves over the carcass of the Lyran Commonwealth....

Now. But pre-blackout, and even perhaps immediately post? And that's just one clan who doesn't get to trade later; it's not counting the Bears, Ravens, or sharks.
Cowdragon:

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2014, 01:19:22 »
They probably used Stealth armour because they can build it, and relatively easily + cheaply compared to Null-Sig.

It makes little sense for a Clan with practically no contact with the Capellan Confederation to go to the time and expense of obtaining, reverse engineering, and putting into production an inferior Spheroid stealth armor when the Clans have the stats for a superior stealth armor in old SLDF databases and the scientist caste has proven their ability to replicate it.  At least one (maybe more) Spheroid military has applied CPLS to a new design.  Given that precedent, it's ridiculous to argue that a clan could not do so.

Yes the speed + stealth will make it very hard to hit, but for a 'sniper' being outside the range of return fire is better.

Snipers need to be able to hit their targets.  For some snipers and some targets, the LPL's to-hit modifier would be essential.  Even more so on such a heat-constrained design as the Wulfen compared to other energy weapon options.

Hey Nikky, since you brought it up, what would you have done with the Warwolf and Tomahawk? I'd really like to know.

Short answer:  The Warwolf just needs better loadouts with more efficient weapons, and the Tomahawk should have been a Clan Archangel instead of a Dire Wolf clone. 

Long answer:  I commented in both of those threads with more details on design alternatives.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2014, 01:31:23 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2014, 02:56:37 »
Now. But pre-blackout, and even perhaps immediately post? And that's just one clan who doesn't get to trade later; it's not counting the Bears, Ravens, or sharks.

And neither the Bears, nor the Ravens, nor the Sharks are fielding the Wulfen.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2014, 02:57:25 »
It makes little sense for a Clan with practically no contact with the Capellan Confederation to go to the time and expense of obtaining, reverse engineering, and putting into production an inferior Spheroid stealth armor when the Clans have the stats for a superior stealth armor in old SLDF databases and the scientist caste has proven their ability to replicate it.  At least one (maybe more) Spheroid military has applied CPLS to a new design.  Given that precedent, it's ridiculous to argue that a clan could not do so.

The Lyran Commonwealth has multiple designs with Stealth Armor, which is probably where the Wolves got the specs.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2014, 03:13:44 »

Not that the RAT's are gospel/proof, but its on the Bear RAT so i think they have a couple of them.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2014, 03:52:41 »
Not that the RAT's are gospel/proof, but its on the Bear RAT so i think they have a couple of them.

Then to clarify, they aren't building the Wulfen.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2014, 04:37:02 »
Then to clarify, they aren't building the Wulfen.

sadly no, i'm honestly surprised we even got a few before the wolfs left town.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2014, 13:34:38 »

Except you're talking about the Elemental battle armor and Timber Wolf, not the Wulfen.
Cowdragon:

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2014, 13:40:11 »
Except you're talking about the Elemental battle armor and Timber Wolf, not the Wulfen.

The whole point of this is that the people MAKING that equipment are a.) Not Clan Wolf and b.) not trading with Clan Wolf.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2014, 19:10:43 »
Of course the Sharks are not trading with the Crusader Wolves.

The Sea Foxes on the other hand probably are since the Empire has some Savage Wolves.  Also not best to bring up the Timber Wolf, last time it came up was a tad disruptive.  Bluntly we have little idea what the Empire is producing, what the Empire brought the means to produce with them from the OZ, and what the Empire left in the OZ capable of producing equipment.  Somethings can be packed up, such as the dies and jigs, while others like crucibles are a bit harder to move so you are better off building new ones or repurposing existing facilities.  We also know not all the designated transfer population was moved without word of what happened to that population still in Lyran hands when the Crusaders turned.  Also no idea what that population was capable of though logistically it makes sense to not have all the scientists who work on the Kerensky genes sitting in the same dropship for example.

It would be nice to know but afaik nothing was ever said in FM3145.  I wonder if the saKhan's taking the green galaxies through the coreward regions of the Lyran Commonwealth also picked back up any of that interned population when it took worlds.  It would not have been too remarked on in Bonfire of Worlds by the Lyrans while they were worrying over Tharkad.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2014, 13:54:06 »
This looks like it is designed to used the LB 2-X (cluster ammo) to disable (or slow down) vehicles and leave them for heavier / better armed / slower friendlies to kill.   A very long range harraser that leaves the 'killing blow' to others (and oh how that would set the 'old' Wolf warriors spinning in their graves #P)
As a scout unit, it might just be that disabling (or sufficiently slowing down) an enemy unit is all that needs to be done. It may not actually be a destroyed unit, but it still may count as a "mission kill" in the sense those enemy units aren't able to participate in the fight. And that appears to be something you realize later on.

It probably uses a SRM 2 because it's NOT going to do enough damage to make it worthwhile to get close to a target and risk return fire. (and if it is an anti-vehicle design, loaded with Infernos just in case something does make it close)

With it's speed the Wulfen D can chase down, or stay at range, some of the faster types of vehicles (VTOL, Hover, WiGE) and doesn't the LB-X get increased chances to crit some of those?

Sure, in a Battletech game staying 25+ hexes away and plinking with a single LB 2-X is no fun, but with the increased use of vehicles a Wulfen D could (given enough time) disable a significant amount of an enemies vehicles.

Personally I would like the Wulfen D to have the ATM 3 (ER ammo) from the Prime, but it's got a LB 2-X and that's good enough for me >:D

(plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, ...... hmmmm, maybe I can swap the Artemis V for more cluster ammo?  :D)
The ATM maybe have been nice, but the SRM and artemis V does allow for more accurate shots up close, which is useful if you run into any surprises. If you had the ATM, which would have only a single ton of ammo, a surprise up close is going to be inside your minimum range. The SRMs work as a short range deterrent to anything small you stumble across. If it's too big for the SRMs to help you handle, then you probably want to be running away.

Yeah, one of my play test notes for this one was the poor C cooking it's pilot with stealth + jumping + weapon fire.  Reading the "behind the scenes" transcript it makes more sense  :D

I'm not sure what I think of this little guy to be honest due to the heat issues.  It's something I'd have to play with to better understand the nuances I think.
I think many people see the Stealth Armor and expect to use it all the time as a primary component. More and more, as we get into the 3075, 3085, Prototypes, and 3145 TROs we see units that have weapons/equipment that look like something you're supposed to use all the time, but are there more as a space filler that gives you something extra to use sometimes. Like the Seraph and the TSM, the Stealth Armor on the Wulfen isn't meant to be used all the time, but more whenever the opportunity presents itself.

With the armor turned off all it costs is crit space. Not counting the armor, you have an omni that moves 10/15 with max armor and some pretty good weapons configurations. For the short-ranged variants, I would use the armor to provide extra cover until I get in close. For the long range ones, if I can afford the heat I will keep it on, but if not it's not a huge loss.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2014, 14:01:33 »
Say what you will, the Wulfen is a sleek 'mech. then entire torso sweeps almost gracefully back from the nose holding the cockpit, giving a great field of vision to the 'mech and helping spread out the firepower directed at it. there's some greebles swept to the back of the 'mech that don't hurt the appearance any, although those flaps seem a bit out of place....maybe their air brakes or covers for jump jets. i dunno.

the legs are balanced and have a great look to them, ending in slightly odd feet that still look like they'll get the job of moving fast done right. the arms are less sleek than the rest of the design, but this is because of the weapons mounted in them, and these look fine. i've complained about overly large or obtrusive weapons blocking line of sight before and none of these do that.

tragically, the Wulfen is both clantech and sporting an XXL engine so i don't expect this it find a major niche in most armies due ti the exorbitant cost. the battlefield could use more lookers like this!
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2014, 15:49:30 »
I really wish this thing didn't have stealth armor. Put on that OP Ferro-Lamellar that's become all the rage and it'd be nigh unkillable, but the stealth armor just seems sub-par to me. I get that you're not supposed to use it when you're actually shooting, since it just makes the heat problems the mech has unbearable, but with the configs I actually want to use (ERLL, ERPPC, HLL) there's basically no reason to ever actually turn it on. With the exception of the H, if you're not in range to fire, neither is your enemy.

It doesn't help that it's a poor replacement for the Hellion, which is by far my favorite mech.

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru