Author Topic: Beta Rules Feedback and some pics  (Read 1845 times)

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
Beta Rules Feedback and some pics
« on: 13 March 2014, 13:21:38 »
We did a AS game last night using the new PV, Stand Still, Natural 12 and Jump rules. I'll include the two coolest pics below, but more are at that thread.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,37968.0.html

TL:DR: We felt that the combination of the Stand Still/Jump and new PV toned down the lights, but still keep them competitive if you used them in packs. i.e., as a unit -- which is the focus of AS.

We'll start with the Natural 12 rule. That was a fan favorite right out of the gate since boxcars was rolled for the first shot in the game. And when you think that can bring back to the old "Two Box cars in a row gives a head cap,"  I think you'll see this in a lot of games.

I like the Jump rules because they give you an tactical option without much complication, a rarity sometimes in the BT rule-sphere. It also made us commit more to using our jumpers as scouts. If you wanted to flank and fire, you had to run instead.

We goofed on the Stand Still rules, giving a unit -1 instead of the actual -2. Regardless, it was a must have maneuver for our heavies. That, and an AC 2/2/0 with Precision Ammo on my Cyclops,  made him a force to be reckoned with. i.e., it painted a target on his back. A full -4 in that case might have been too much.  Let me play it again with forests and see if I change my mind.

« Last Edit: 14 March 2014, 09:41:34 by Von Ether »
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: Beta Rules Feedback and some pics
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2014, 08:53:04 »
Good  post, my group was going to try out the those out this weekend. I will add our results here to compare. O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."