Author Topic: (Answered) Customizing fixed items on Omnis  (Read 2764 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
(Answered) Customizing fixed items on Omnis
« on: 26 March 2014, 03:53:36 »
Hi,

I really hope this works this time.

I'm having a problem in this thread about customizing fixed items on omnis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38013.0.html

According to the rules in Strategic Operations page 189, fixed items on OMNIs can be customized by using the customizing procedures which are done in the same way as refits but with a +2TN modifier. No where does it say customizing destroys the OMNI capabilities.

martain says this tread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,1745.0.html  means fixed items can't be customized without omni capability.   

Thing is not only does that ruling go against the rules in Strategic Operations, but the question in that thread was about changing pod space not just fixed items. So I'm asking for a clarification.

Can an OMNI have fixed items customized and still remain an OMNI? Or, can they be customized as long as pod space isn't effected? Effect the amount ofdpod space and they become standard units. Or as in the previous answer OMNIs can be customized but become standard units, in which case that really should be errated in to Strategic Operations.

I also have a couple related questions.

If customized OMNIs become standard units how does that effect equipment needing to be mounted in pods before they can be installed in an omni? Do they still need to be? Also how are maintenance times and costs effected? Would they have the modular quirk? or would that quirk only apply to items in pods?

And the same questions for Frankenmechs using OMNI locations.

« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 01:20:31 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Customizing fixed items on Omnis
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2014, 01:20:20 »
1- We will issue an errata to SO making it clear that changing any of the fixed equipment will invalidate the Omni capability of the Mech.
2- The sole exception being fixed weapons.  Fixed weapons may be replaced by an item of the same tonnage and critical spaces.  The replacement item must be in the same exact location (i.e. Slot 6 of the Right Arm) and must have the same facing.
3- Omnis that have been "broken" gain the Modular quirk, if using quirks.  Otherwise, treat them as a normal BattleMech.
4- FrankenMechs gain no advantages from having an Omni pod mounted on their chassis.  The handcrafted nature means the Omni pod would be modified to fit and no longer have the modularity it once had.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: (Research) Customizing fixed items on Omnis
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2014, 03:53:46 »
1- We will issue an errata to SO making it clear that changing any of the fixed equipment will invalidate the Omni capability of the Mech.
2- The sole exception being fixed weapons.  Fixed weapons may be replaced by an item of the same tonnage and critical spaces.  The replacement item must be in the same exact location (i.e. Slot 6 of the Right Arm) and must have the same facing.
3- Omnis that have been "broken" gain the Modular quirk, if using quirks.  Otherwise, treat them as a normal BattleMech.
4- FrankenMechs gain no advantages from having an Omni pod mounted on their chassis.  The handcrafted nature means the Omni pod would be modified to fit and no longer have the modularity it once had.

Cool! Thanks! :)  Quick clarification on point 2. Do fixed weapons include weapons only or other items like probes and ecm?  Thanks :)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) Customizing fixed items on Omnis
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2014, 10:18:42 »
I believe any fixed item.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: (Answered) Customizing fixed items on Omnis
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2014, 21:17:09 »
I believe any fixed item.

Cool! Thank you!  :)

Register