Author Topic: Wolf Lancer's Painting Journal Mk. II - Progress Update with PHOTO! 9/5  (Read 6532 times)

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Home of hand built Timber Wolves.
Two years ago I set a goal, and a thread up to follow it, to paint up 365 BattleTech minis in one year. I kept it up to date for a little while, but soon it got dragged down to the bottom of the to do list. My goal however stayed throughout the year. That year I did succeed in my goal and my final total was 369 minis total that were painted.

Last year I didn't paint very much. All total I probably painted less than 50 minis at most. My biggest achievement last year was painting a star of Stone Lions for Sulla.

This year I decided to change that. I once again decided to paint 365 BattleTech minis in one year, AND assemble every BattleTech mini that I have. Trust me when I say that is a lot of minis. Being single with disposable income for years combined with a metal crack addiction added up. My current goal for forces is to get a decent size force for each major House, every Clan, and a few minor factions.

Just to give you an idea of what I currently have here is a picture I took last year with all my painted minis in formation.

As of right now I have been focusing on getting minis assembled. Here is a pic of the minis I have assembled up till last week. I have assembled around 50 more that aren't in this pic.

Once I start painting I will post pics of the minis, and if people want I will do up some small tutorials. For now I will continue posting pics of the mechs that I assemble.

Take care on that painting table!
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 23:00:45 by Wolf Lancer 4 »
From a 'Mech grave he rose, snarling
Ready to do battle for his vanquished Clan
Stalking the Falcon Khans, who would remake us
His actions, the Wolf incarnate
  -The Remembrance(Clan Wolf), Passage 412, Verse 10, Lines 9-12

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Re: Wolf Lancer's Painting Journal Mk. II
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2014, 03:40:46 »
I admire your persistance matey  :o

And look forward to the fruits of your labours
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Mars

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2014, 04:27:11 »
impressionnant O0
On n'arrête pas de jouer en vieillissant, on vieillit en arrêtant de jouer.

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2014, 06:08:06 »
cool  O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2014, 06:20:13 »
Sweet O0  Good luck you got a lot of work ahead.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 06:52:10 »
Totally Awesome! O0 O0

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2014, 09:52:25 »
Impressive collection of miniatures!  I look forward to seeing how you painting job progresses.   O0
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2014, 10:35:03 »
That is some impressive work! Looking forward to seeing your collection grow.  :o

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2014, 14:36:10 »
What factions are on the paint table this year?

I forgot about those Stone Lions. I don't suppose you snapped any pics before Sulla took possession?
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2014, 14:48:21 »
Pretty much all the factions, plus a few new ones, that was on the table last time. First ones up this year will most likely be a couple of the new ones. They are Clan Wolf Alpha 3145 and Jade Falcon Guards. The FWL Militia will also probably see a few new guys painted up early as well. I do have a few pics of the Lions that I took with my phone. I will see about digging them up.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2014, 14:52:42 »
Turns out I only have the one pic.
Edit: Also that Panther in the background was painted up for the GreatSarcasmo as part of a mini exchange. Don't think I have a pic of it though.

« Last Edit: 28 March 2014, 14:56:31 by Wolf Lancer 4 »

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2014, 18:00:52 »
Very cool! O0

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2014, 18:31:15 »
Nice...

For some reason I really dig the Stone Lion color scheme. The ’Mechs from last year (A Summoner and a Balius if I remember correctly) were absolutely fantastic.

Good stuff!  O0
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2014, 20:09:22 »
"Marking this thread."

Roy:

You've officially provided my "painting inspiration" for 2014.

We just moved into a permanent home up here in the DC area and I finally - after a very extended hiatus - have everything unpacked and nicely setup to resume painting on a large scale.  I'm actually quite excited.

Since I've still got the busy job and crazy little dude, my goals will be much more modest.  "The Plan" is to finish off the long suffering SOL, LAG, Avalon Hussar, and Deneb Light Cav battalions that have been haunting my dreams for 4+ years now.  You already got a chance to curb stomp components of the SOL and LAG prior to their completion.  At some point, we'll have to get together again so you can rain on the Hussars and Cav.  Before December 31th, I really hope that I'll be able to 'knock out' the remaining figs, finalize the units, and get these guys off the table and into the cabinet.

I'll keep checking this thread and see if I can go 1-to-12 with you.  Assuming I'm doing the math right, that would still give me a pretty decent output for 2014 (at least when using "Chris scale").  Keep posting updates, and I'll keep watching.  Nice to see the number of impressive units you are putting together, and best of luck to you and yours.  CP
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 21:06:06 by PINKNEY »

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2014, 20:17:05 »
I could probably put a pic of that up, eh?
Maker of big things.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2014, 11:08:36 »
First up is some news. I learned on Friday that I will be laid off again this week, so I will have plenty of time to do more minis work. I might even pick up the paintbrush this week instead of a tube of super glue. All depends on how I feel. I've learned to never try to paint unless I am in the mood to paint. Trying to force it doesn't work.  :)

Nice...

For some reason I really dig the Stone Lion color scheme. The ’Mechs from last year (A Summoner and a Balius if I remember correctly) were absolutely fantastic.

Good stuff!  O0

I did not paint those mechs for Sulla. The ones I painted were a Warhawk, Ice Ferret, Cougar, Dire Wolf, and a...mech I can't remember. I do know that it wasn't a Balius.
Thanks for the kind words.

"Marking this thread."

Roy:

You've officially provided my "painting inspiration" for 2014.

We just moved into a permanent home up here in the DC area and I finally - after a very extended hiatus - have everything unpacked and nicely setup to resume painting on a large scale.  I'm actually quite excited.

Since I've still got the busy job and crazy little dude, my goals will be much more modest.  "The Plan" is to finish off the long suffering SOL, LAG, Avalon Hussar, and Deneb Light Cav battalions that have been haunting my dreams for 4+ years now.  You already got a chance to curb stomp components of the SOL and LAG prior to their completion.  At some point, we'll have to get together again so you can rain on the Hussars and Cav.  Before December 31th, I really hope that I'll be able to 'knock out' the remaining figs, finalize the units, and get these guys off the table and into the cabinet.

I'll keep checking this thread and see if I can go 1-to-12 with you.  Assuming I'm doing the math right, that would still give me a pretty decent output for 2014 (at least when using "Chris scale").  Keep posting updates, and I'll keep watching.  Nice to see the number of impressive units you are putting together, and best of luck to you and yours.  CP

Chris! Good to hear from you! I will freely admit that I can be terrible at staying in touch with folks. Glad that I am inspiring folks to pick up that paintbrush.

I could probably put a pic of that up, eh?

Yeah I never did get a pic of that little feller before I passed him on to you.

Rommel_Twee

• Corporal
    • Galactic:Conflict in the Stars
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2014, 16:07:24 »
The army looks good Roy !
A long time since these days...

@Pinkney... Chris ! wondered where you wandered off to, of course I wandered too.
Kirk
North of Mason, South of Dixon and 2nd star to the right.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 31 March 2014, 01:48:18 »
The army looks good Roy !
A long time since these days...

@Pinkney... Chris ! wondered where you wandered off to, of course I wandered too.

Yeah that was many moons ago.  :)

Minis update:

Primed 39 minis today and got 8 out of the dip. Later today I plan to knock out several minis on the factory floor and put 11 minis that are already assembled on bases. I just have to file down the bases and glue the minis to them. My overall plan this week is to assemble 40 more mechs. This will bring my total mech count up to 200 assembled.

As far as painting goes I figured I would ask y'all what I should start first if I were to pick up the paintbrush. For my factions I chose a "general" paint scheme that will be used to represent any unit from said faction. I picked the scheme of the units if it went along with said faction's "colors" for the most part. Sword of Light was chosen for the Dracs, Lyran Guards for Lyrans, House Hiritsu for Liao and so forth.

The choices are:

Clan Wolf DA era 3145(basically the gray, tan, and white scheme from the clix game)
Jade Falcon Guards
Lyran Guards
FWL Militia

What would y'all like to see?

The astute might be able to figure out what I have been reading up on.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #18 on: 31 March 2014, 06:40:04 »
Wolf Empire-Tan/white/gray would be awesome! O0

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #19 on: 31 March 2014, 09:48:47 »
OK, now that is a goal!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 31 March 2014, 21:34:47 »
Well today I didn't assemble any mechs. Instead I worked on some infantry, battle armor, and a few tanks. All told I prepped a Partisan tank, J-27 transport, two Galleons, five Undine and five Clan Battle Armor, eight regular infantry, and eight Savannah Masters. All the infantry and battle armor were mounted to pennies as bases. I also primed eleven mechs after I put them on hex bases and put several more mechs in the dip to be stripped.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2014, 00:39:55 »
Turns out I only have the one pic.
Edit: Also that Panther in the background was painted up for the GreatSarcasmo as part of a mini exchange. Don't think I have a pic of it though.

Any tips on how to do the stone panels?

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 01 April 2014, 02:58:33 »
It is really quite simple. Just use a dark grey as the base color. Then pick two lighter grays for the streaks and a light blue for the dots. Simple as that.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2014, 21:41:40 »
Well the past two days I have been painting for the first time in over eight months. I have not been painting BattleTech minis however. Instead I have been working on my Warmachine Cygnar Stormwall. I just finished the painting and washing a few minutes ago. In a little bit I will start on the basing. Should have this "mini" completed tomorrow.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 03 April 2014, 17:51:18 »
Here are some pictures of the Stormwall that I just finished a little while ago.

avon1985

• Major
Very cool! O0

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
Very well done. I really like the way you painted the metallics.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Thank you. I had this feller for a year and a half and just now finished him in the past three days. I am also currently finishing up a few more Cygnar warjacks. Should have some pics of those guys up tomorrow.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Well it has been a few days since my last update, so I figured I would let y'all know what is going on. I finished painting up a couple of Cygnar warjacks from Warmachine and finished the bases on several more. I tried to take a few pics, but they turned out horrible. Luckily though I am getting the ball rolling on setting up a photo booth.

Today I am finishing the bases on a commission that is long overdue. I have also picked out a few other minis that needed their bases finished. Hopefully when I get back home from my work trip that I go on tomorrow I will be able to take some better pics.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Wolf Lancer's Painting Journal Mk. II - Progress Update 4/13
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2014, 16:58:07 »
Another simple word update. Who cares right? We want pictures you say. Well I fully intended on having pictures, but then I had issues with my card and it prevented me from purchasing those photo backgrounds.

In other words no pictures this week. Just words.

I finally finished off my commission. I am finally free on that front. I did a little base work on some other minis, but haven't fully completed them yet.

I am hoping that my next work trip will see me return home to some nice photo backgrounds that will be better for photo taking.

Until then take care on that painting table!

Register