Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: JHK-0* Jade Hawk  (Read 12411 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: JHK-0* Jade Hawk
« on: 04 April 2014, 23:10:24 »
Gee, I really hope my SRMs don't blow up against my 'Mech's arms or legs...

I think there might be some problems with the Jade Falcon scientists. Yes, I know, there's *always* been a problem with those scientists, but things seem to have recently taken a turn for the worse. I mean, we have designs called the Nacon, Skadi, Skanda, and Gurzil being produced. Let's take a look at those names for a second:

Nacon: Urban Dictionary tells me that it's "the process of a beautiful woman bringing you bacon while she is naked", and everyone knows Urban Dictionary is never wrong.

Skadi: Norse goddess of Skiing. Alrighty then.

Skanda: Hindu god of war, with his name meaning "That which is spilled or oozed". That's...creepy.

Gurzil: Google images spat out this image:

Please note that the image was...taken? Made?...on April 21st, 2956, which proves that the Jade Falcons sent an advanced scouting party to the lost Canopian worlds and became enamored with mermen.
~   ~   ~

So right away we can see that the Jade Falcon Scientist caste has certain issues. But then you have to remember how each of those designs looks like it was taken straight from a kid's toy box. Oversized wheels, impractical spoilers, lego-like looks...the list goes on. And from this, I've reached the undeniable conclusion that most of the Falcon scientists are, in fact, 10 year-olds.

This conclusion clears certain things up for me, such as "Why would the Jade Falcons name one of their Totem 'Mechs the Jade Hawk?" I can just imagine their discussion...

-Scientist A: Now that we've given this new 'Mech these *sick* (and not totally impractical) new missile launchers, we can finally think up a kickass name for it!!

-Scientist B: Why not the...JADE FALCON?! JADDDDDE FAAAALCONNNNN!!!

-Scientist A: JAAAADE FALCOOOOOOOOON!!!!

-Technician A: Now wait a se--

-Scientists A+B: JAAAADDDEEEE FAAAALCOOOONNNNN!!!!!

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE FAAAAAAAAAAAA---

Right. Anyway. It would explain why Malvina would want the technician caste to develop this machine. Still, someone somewhere decided that Jade Hawk would be a better name. 'Cause come on, a bird is a bird. All things considered though...Hawks use their talons to kill their prey, while falcons use their beaks. So it *sort of* makes sense, I'll give 'em that.

Enough about that, now for the actual design. As I'm sure many of you know, a Clan technician eventually got sick of the whole shebang (probably had one of those migraines...) and ran off with the Jade Hawk plans. The Sea Foxes, ever browsing the "free" section of www.space-craigslist.innersphere, snatched up the technician and his plans before handing them over to Dynamic Ordnance and Ammunition Corp to be built.

DOA, although apparently independent, could be heavily reliant on Sea Fox shipping. The Partial Wing is directly supplied by the Foxes, and the Starfire 375 XL and Series 1g ER Small Lasers are also respectively found in the Mad Cat and Sphinx BattleMechs. Seeing how the Mk. 22 Type III SRM launchers can be found in the Sekhmet Assault Vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Foxes are dumping military surplus taken after the Nova Cats were crushed by the Combine. Then some other essential components (such as the armor and jump jets) are most likely imported from FWL companies, which could be facilitated by the Clan Protectorate acting as an intermediary. The final bits (the Comm and Targeting systems) are probably built right next to Galatea, and should be easy to keep in good supply. The design itself is apparently very popular amongst mercenaries...but the standard variant is terribly mercenary unfriendly. It's a brawling design, with fragile components that are hard to replace and very ammo-hungry weapons. It can pack one heck of a whallop, though.

~   ~   ~

The first design, the JHK-03, is a bizarrity at first glance. With 4 ER Smalls, 4 SRM 6s (with 2[?!] tons of ammo) and two Claws, the longest it can reach out is 9 hexes. Yikes. Its decent speed, combined with the supercharger and TSM, means that it can close relatively reliably if used intelligently, and the 3 jump jets (boosted to a 120 meter jumping distance by the partial wing) means that it'll be able to navigate through rougher terrain. Quite sturdy, the armor is laid out in a 34/22/22 (center torso, side torsos, arms) pattern with 29 points in the legs and 11/8 in the rear. A Clan XL is protected by the armor. While OK, I think I would have liked more points in the legs considering how often it'll be brawling. 12 double heat sinks (combined with the partial wing) allow it to dissipate all of its heat on a full jumping alpha. More on that later.

The JHK-04 fire support model is a completely different machine. First off, it's tougher: it has a heavy duty gyro and the maximum amount of armor possible without wasting points, adding 2 points to each side torso and arm, and 3 points to each leg. One point is removed from the center rear torso, a smart move as this variant won't be in the middle of things nearly as often. One ER Small is dropped and another is moved to the center torso, while the SRMs, Jump Jets, Partial Wing and two heat sinks are dropped for twin Streak LRM/15 Launchers with 3 tons of ammo. The Claws remain, and act as one heck of a deterrent, dealing 11 points of damage a pop. I can see Mercs liking this model; it has fire endurance, good toughness and decent flexibility. The Ferro-Fibrous armor is a bit of a downside, though, along with the ton of ammo in the center torso (eep!!).

When the Falcons finally got their act together they pumped out their own Jade Hawk (Standard). Similar to the JHK-03, it boosts the jump range out the 6 hexes, while giving it the same tonnage of armor as the legendary Timber Wolf, albeit with a touch less protection in the front and a touch more on the back. The SRMs are upgraded to Streak models (with 4 tons of ammo this time), and a Light Active Probe is added. The Heat Sinks are swapped out for the Laser-Lightshow versions, with yet another one added to ensure that the machine is fully heat neutral yet again. It truly is a successor to the Flamberge; weapons only able to reach out to 12 hexes, very decent jump capabilities, some ammo in the arms and a tough shell to crack.

The Jade Hawk 2 seems to take a page from the JHK-04, dropping all of the Jump Jets, the Supercharger and the Partial Wing. The Streaks are replaced with ATMs of the same size, but unfortunately the ton of ammo per gun stays the same as well. An ER Small is dropped and another moved to the CT once again, but this time two ER Large Lasers are added onto the arms instead of the Claws. 15 laser heat sinks don't give it full heat dissipation, but they certainly make things manageable.

The last variant, the Jade Hawk 3, combines features from both the Standard and the 2. This time the Jump Jets are retained and combined with the ATM/6s, but the ER Large Lasers are dropped down to Medium Pulses. A smidgeon of armor is dropped with the swap from Ferro-Fibrous to Standard armor (which is strange, since it has the crits for Ferro), and the number of laser heat sinks are dropped down to 12; this doesn't cause many issues since the heat burden is greatly reduced.

~   ~   ~

So, how do you use them? Depends on which model you get. For the JHK-03 and Standard, you point them at the enemy, charge forward, and try to wreck as much face as possible. The Standard works well as part of a team with more lightly-armored Summoners and Hellbringers, while some slow, big-gunned bruisers and fire-support machines are the JHK-03's friend. You have very little ammo endurance, so pick your targets wisely. You're there to distract, disrupt, and destroy. The limited ammo can be a bit of a boon - with 7 1/2 turns of full effectiveness (double that for the Standard), chances are any ammo bin hits will not completely destroy your machine and you can back off once your job is done.

The JHK-04 and 2 are great all-arounders, capable of fighting at any range. Use them depending on your own playstyle, but don't forget that you no longer have any Jump Jets. For the 2, I'd suggest packing one ton of ER ammo, one of Standard, and two of HE. Wear the enemy down, then move in for the kill. While the -04 has very good ammo endurance, the 2 only has a total of 10 shots per gun. Don't shoot in the wind.

The 3 is another brawler, straight up. It doesn't have much ranged damage output besides what the ATM can push out, so I'd suggest going all-in and packing on as much HE ammo as you can, with *maybe* a ton of Standard. Make things regret ever getting near you.

Addendum: The JHK-03 and TSM

Right. I said I'd write more on this later, so here it is. The JHK-03 is a bit of an oddity, since it has full heat dissipation (after actually adding additional heat sinks) on a TSM'd 'Mech. It's very usable, though, once you get the hang of it. Some intelligent tactics would be to:

-Only use 7 DHS. Run and fire everything, and you're at +9 heat.
   7(17) -> 2 (run) + 8 (er small) + 16 (srms) = 26 heat

-Next turn, you can run and fire your SRMs for +10, or walk for a +9 again. Or you can jump, but you need to plan ahead.
   7(17) -> 1/2 (walk/run) + 9 (heat) + 16 (srms) = 26/27 heat
   8(19) -> 3 (jump) + 9 (heat) + 16 (srms) = 28 heat

-If you plan on running nonstop you can turn on another heat sink every other turn. You'll be alternating between +9/+10 heat. You should run out of SRMs before you max out your heat sinks.
   8(19) -> 2 (run) + 10 (heat) + 16 (srms) = 28 heat

-If you aren't planning on using the claws (lets say kicking turns you on) things change a bit. After the first turn of only having 7 double heat sinks, you want to immediately jump back up to the full 12. Jumping takes the most advantage of the heatsinks you have running in this scenario.
   12(27) -> 3 (jump) + 9 (heat) + 8 (er smalls) + 16 (srms) = 36 heat

Why use the TSM? Well, it's what makes the machine a near-unique (and huge) threat. TSM'd claws on a 75-ton machine deal a total of 22 points of damage, per claw. Let me repeat that: 22 damage per claw. Get into punching range, and you'll make your own holes for those SRMs. 22 points of damage is enough to completely wreck the armor on the arms and side torsos for most designs 75-tons and lighter, and that's ignoring the massive overkill that'd happen with a head hit. Any following SRM spread is nearly guaranteed to go internal and crit something. With a single claw strike forcing a PSR (and two making it even harder, if using TacOps rules) you stand a chance of knocking your foe to the ground, which makes 'Mechs using Hardened Armor, Torso-Mounted Cockpits or Small Cockpits very attractive prey.

How do you deal with it? For the -03, Standard and 3, play keep away. Try to abuse initiative to stay far from the massive Claws/Streaks/ATMs or to force it into uncomfortable positions. As usual, heat-causing weaponry is an annoyance for the -03, but won't cripple it. Its extra heat sinks (if functional) give it some flexibility here. The -04 and 2 are a bit harder to deal with. Hope for that CT crit on thet -04, or get into its rear arc. Don't hug it, though!! Those Claws, even without the TSM, are still dangerous!!

Links
You can find the Jade Hawk on IWM here: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4116
Although I can't find any painted versions of this model on CamoSpecs, you can find examples of the beautiful DFA version on here: http://camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=1163
The ever-useful Master Unit List provides introduction dates and availabilities here: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6564/jade-hawk-jhk-03
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Fallen_Raven

• Major
Re: 'Mech of the Week: JHK-0* Jade Hawk
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2014, 23:30:39 »
Its certainly an interesting 'mech, I'll give it that. It might not work well in a large field engagement, but I can see these dominating in a city fight.
As for the JHK-03 being popular with mercs, I think it has to do with the ECM. 4 SRM-6s, some ER Smalls, and a pair of TSM powered Claws should jam enemy comms with blood curdling screams and shouts of "Oh God its coming right at me!"  [skull]
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2014, 00:09:52 »
Jade Hawk is a great knife fighter with TSM and SRMs, the only thing that would maker it better would be a all energy version.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2014, 02:35:52 »
When put like this....I'm reminded of the fact that the Jade Falcons chose to rebuild their scientist caste by raiding the Wolves. A similar process is behind the origin of the Crossbow and Battlecobra (Steel Vipers challenged for and won Snow Raven design teams). Take that for what you will. ><

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2014, 11:24:53 »
i think i'd stick to the "3".. high mobility, and all range engagement due to ATM's? good combo. a bit light on ammo, but you have the bunkerage to load a mix of types and the mobility to control the range against most non-scouts.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2014, 11:56:26 »
My main problem with the variant Jade Hawks is how quickly they drop the "asthetic" of the Jade Hawk or concentrates on the wrong portion for the role they have. For example, I'd rather have the partial wing and jumpjets than the claws on the 04. Probably just me.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2014, 12:28:10 »
true. a 5/8/7 jumper with streak LRM's? nasty. frankly, i'd say even using a slightly smaller streak-LRM rack (10's instead of 15's say) would be acceptable if you can keep the jumping.

btw..
Nacon: Urban Dictionary tells me that it's "the process of a beautiful woman bringing you bacon while she is naked", and everyone knows Urban Dictionary is never wrong.
Nacon was the mayan god of war.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2014, 13:39:51 »
i am convinced the jade falcon engineers are a little too crazy.

i mean, it's not that it's rubbish. the chassis framework is solid and there's no major design flaws (unless you count the choice of using a laying cockpit design instead of one where the pilot sits in a chair, given the tiny height clearance of that head). then they start planning the ideal loadout and apparently are too busy breaking into giggling fits to ask themselves is something is reasonable.

there's four SRM racks and each one is blocked by one of the limbs. i'm not even addressing the fact that the ammo feeds virtually have to be pressed flush against the jumpjets, just the fact that firing them main ranged firepower of the design is liable to shred your own limbs is distressing. the only reason i can think of is one of them wanted to see someone jump into the air while shooting all its limbs off and then steer the crashing 'mech torso into their target like an actual bird swooping in for the kill, and that's a very silly reason. considering how much of the design's firepower is tied up in easily blocked, potentially self-destructive racks that i initially mistook for intakes, i'm amazed this got approved unless you can get the warriors of clan jade falcon to approve anything by naming it  "Jade [raptor name]" and presenting it by shouting really loudly.

the rest of it is alright, neither impressing nor rehashing the pants on flagpole awful design choices of the SRM arrays. as i said, the frame itself is decently build, as well as the armor layouts. the torso and arms are all well-protected and compact for their design, with the claws being notably well-protected and study. legs are maybe a bit overwrought, but considering this 'mech is going to be doing a lot of dancing in close with those jump jets, i can see where they might be effective as absorbing the shock of landing efficiently.

i don't know what to make of the partial wing, but then i never do. it seems like it's barely on back there, but given the fact it's working around those SRM mounts and it needs a certain range of movement to work, i guess they were lacking in choices there. one thing that's bugging me is the fact i haven't been able to place where the lasers are. i'm guessing that's what those indents in the torso are for, but i haven't the foggiest.

at the end of the day, it's an effective, if somewhat eclectic brawler 'mech that happens to work a lot like a 75-ton Elemental battlearmor with some nice lines. and some terrible safety concerns. just what the falcons needed, right?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2014, 14:47:34 »
As just a fun fact: Nacon is the Mayan god of war..

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2014, 15:32:03 »
I loved the introduction.  8)
I suppose with the smokeys now serving in the republic, all the madness had to go somewhere. Took a while, but we should have gotten used to it by now.
As for the design itself, I think it is actually rather... underwhelming.
Depends on how efficiently you can employ the claws.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2014, 16:14:10 »
Amazing amusing and insightful article, GreekFire. 

When I first saw the Jade Hawk in the clicky game, I thought it look nice but man those stats were stupid.  A jumping heavy version of the Charger yelling "Leroy Jenkins!!!!".

However, these newer versions have changed my view on it.  Its brawler, incredible one if your able play the balance your weapon heat game.  Its too bad that there isn't a all-energy version, but I think it be boring if there was one.  Challenge is always interesting.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2014, 19:00:27 »
As just a fun fact: Nacon is the Mayan god of war..
btw..Nacon was the mayan god of war.
??? ... am I the only one who got that the Urban Diction references was a joke?

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2014, 19:06:11 »

from my experience with people qouting it? ::) pretty much.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2014, 22:26:50 »
Best MoTW intro ever. It is rare that the internet literally makes me LOL.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2014, 23:24:50 »

What if I like the Urban Dictionary version better?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2014, 03:36:32 »
What if I like the Urban Dictionary version better?
I have nothing against bacon or your choice of attire while enjoying said breakfast ;D

Register