Author Topic: Terrain Discussion- Magma, Lava and Volcanoes  (Read 2517 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Terrain Discussion- Magma, Lava and Volcanoes
« on: 20 April 2014, 02:30:19 »
Several of the books have had battles in areas of volcanic instability and we have rules for magma and breaking through into pools of it.  Recently I played MWO which had a map with a molten cauldera at the center with paths around it and while trying to figure out why you were on that map except to have damaging terrain and heat burdens . . . it occurred to me, how many folks include that sort of map on TT?

Does it change what you bring to the fight?  Does it change how you advance through the terrain?

Also has anyone made a rough copy of that map for MM?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Terrain Discussion- Magma, Lava and Volcanoes
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2014, 07:50:35 »
Wasn't there a lava tile available as a bonus feature a while back?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2014, 08:39:39 »
I drew up a scenario some time back that involved an invading/occupying force needing to enter a volcanic/seismically unstable area to track down the defending forces hiding out there.  Didn't get to play it out and the draft I made is MIA after a move or two, but it seemed like it might have been a fun one.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2014, 09:41:53 »
Can take no credit for any of this inspirational work.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7454lp=95426
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2014, 15:23:09 »
Very few units would actually find themselves on such a map without an overriding reason to do so .
I had the occasion of doing so once to flank and go around the decades old emplaced defenses of my target . My objective was never in such an environment as no one sane would go through more than one or  at most 2 map boards of such scattered terrain to take any objective as the price to do so would be too high . Terrain like that is best defended by aerospace in depth and gun emplacements behind hills  using indirect weapons at the objective it self.  They would have to be some kind of massive strategic resource to commit forces to  an environment like that .  Nothing short of KF core material would even make it worth while . Since an environment like that would have a high background radiation and virtually no civilian population it would not break the Ares Convention chucking Nukes or doing orbital bombardment on the defending force . It is best attacked with the above and battle armor drops on the objective if you wanted to keep it intact .  Blasting it and waiting a few weeks to crust over and putting a new prefab facility near the crater of the old one may very well be the best choice of what to do .  Cost 3 Million for 5 rounds of Arrow IV or long tom delivered TAC Nukes . If the attacking force chooses to use the wrong tools for the job the defender should hand them their heads and let them pay through the nose for victory . 
« Last Edit: 02 June 2014, 15:37:38 by Col Toda »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2014, 16:00:16 »
IIRC, in "wolves on the border" the dragoon's first action under the combine involved a volcanically active area that a worlds defenders retreated into. Tetsuhara rescues Wolf from an archer that fell into a lava pool.

Register