Author Topic: Connections  (Read 1275 times)

Savar

• Private
Connections
« on: 20 April 2014, 22:47:50 »
what I am trying to do is make a Clan Hell's Horses Clan Watch char,  with a good Connections trait,  If I wanted connections within ?Clan Diamond Shark/Sea Fox depending on the Era ?

The idea was someone that could talk to Merchants from the clan and maybe access some stuff not normally available out side of Clan space, when I was working in IS space  ?

the question is what level of TP would I need to list a clan as source of connections ?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Connections
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2014, 17:14:46 »
In theory as low as 1 TP of Connections would be sufficient but in practical terms I'd think more in the range of 3-4 to get anything useful that isn't already available in the Inner Sphere.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2014, 09:04:09 »
Agreed, 3-4 sounds a bit more logical on the lower end of the scale.
Remember though Connections doesn't necessarily mean they can get it for you.
Merchant James from the Sharks found that neat Inner Sphere trinket, but selling if to you might cost a bit.
Money, favors, information, all can be negotiable for payment.
Which in itself would be a fun hook for a Watch Character.
Imagine a lone covert op, fighting within the shadows of the Clans, walking that line between honor and dishonor.
All for an ancient relic: Some 2780s mix tape of music.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2014, 16:43:49 »
I think  3 is enough for access but that is not enough in it self . Do they have the resources to buy ; field and maintain a high end ; high tech machine ? Clan tech is pricy to keep fielded .  Clan endo-steel ; ferro fibrous ; double heat sinks ; XL engines and ammo costs can quickly eliminate your profit margin on a contract . The Diamond Sharks do not have access to everything clan and some of the stuff they do get limited access to such as equipment they have to get from other Clans they might keep for themselves short term .  IE  Ferro - Laminar Armor is available from the Jade Falcons but in the early years of it's invention the Diamond Sharks could only get some by trial or trading a high volume of their best monopoly product Harjel .  Either way the more insular the product the more dear the price . Normal Diamond Shark prices to an Inner Sphere Customer is 2 X - 2.8 X the component cost and that is for easy to get for them stuff .  The Clans and Inner Sphere Customers pressure the Sharks to one extent or another to limit any wide spread selling of any high end unit . Access is not enough but can you afford the going rate ?  When Mixed Tech becomes advanced sometime around the 3080s buying Clan energy weapons may get very cost effective but just about anything else will not be. High priority tech may become much more available to all Clans such as say endo-composite internal structure quickly say 5 or less years some may take decades if ever . Trying to keep your logistical train as tight as possible and profit margins as high as possible precluded for me and I think most fielding a lot of high tech stuff.  I never fielded Clan Tech except for the odd energy weapon  and that very late 3085+ . Most others field a lance / star of Clan or high WOB equivalent mechs in there entire OB normally Battalion for just those reasons .   
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 16:55:36 by Col Toda »

Savar

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 13:42:14 »
I was thinking personal Equipment. :) most watch chars will not be running around in vehicles as from my view point, thank you :)