Author Topic: What happened to the Thugee Manei Domini?  (Read 4491 times)

dmzline

• Corporal
What happened to the Thugee Manei Domini?
« on: 23 April 2014, 21:04:22 »
I don't have all of the Jihad books, so if its in one of them I wouldn't mind being pointed in that direction.  It almost seems too good to be true that all of the Phansigars were hunted down (of course that goes for WoB Manei Domini as well) especially with how the Capellans kept much of their force build up secret through the republic years.  Were they supposedly wiped out at the end of the Jihad, or is it at this time unknown?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: What happened to the Thugee Manei Domini?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2014, 21:27:41 »
Hi,

They were not hunted down. They destroyed themselves. There were only two Warrior Houses of Thuggee-Domini hybrids. one followed Kali, and the other was basically run by Cameron St. Jamias' man. All of these were slipped onto Sian for the assault when Kali turned on Cameron. Both groups wiped each other out (and any survivors would have been targeted by the loyal Capellans; Thuggee-Domini are not subtle enough to hide very well).

Thanks,

- Nobody of any Significance

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2014, 22:43:34 »
Anybody else love Herb's new sig? Ghost Herb.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2014, 22:45:29 »
Didn't it state that Kali's Thuggee MD's were taken into CapCon Custody? There were not a lot of survivors but there was a few.
If there were its a good bet the CapCon took them apart to see what makes a MD tick.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2014, 22:46:09 »
Anybody else love Herb's new sig? Ghost Herb.

I won't be happy until Herb isn't as stiff in his replys and little Starscream returns!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2014, 00:28:51 »
I won't be happy until Herb isn't as stiff in his replys and little Starscream returns!

You may be unhappy for a good long time, then. My apologies.

dmzline

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2014, 18:27:53 »
Well darn, I was hoping for a potential future plot hook.  Of course, that doesn't completely leave out regular Manei Domini.  If I remember correctly from the novel "Blood Avatar" they did find some evidence there were still WoB cells in the Republic.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2014, 18:37:01 »
Blood Avatar hinted at allot of things
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2014, 00:35:42 »
Plot hooks are fine and dandy, but sometimes a destroyed faction is just a destroyed faction.

Besides, if TPTB ever want to bring MD-style cyborgs back into the universe, the technology needed to make them is just tech; it can be rediscovered, reverse engineered, or even "simply" re-developed from the ground up a second time. Other than the obvious problems with bad precedent, there's no special magic about it that makes it WoB-exclusive forever and ever, and hypothetical future generations of cyborg supersoldiers could well come from some altogether unexpected direction.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2014, 01:23:58 »
Well darn, I was hoping for a potential future plot hook.  Of course, that doesn't completely leave out regular Manei Domini.  If I remember correctly from the novel "Blood Avatar" they did find some evidence there were still WoB cells in the Republic.

Also, many of the Shadow Divisions (or what was left of them) disappeared at the end of the Jihad and haven't, through the Dark Ages, been seen since. They had more than a few MD in them along with others that had been "enhanced" and not brought into the MD (not all WOB that received implants were MD).
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2014, 01:51:17 »
Hi,

Shadow Divisions were entirely comprised of Manei Domini. But yes, non-MD Blakists did vanish with the departing Shadow Divisions nobody can account for. They were never seen again, as far as we all know--and, given that the average cyborg in BT tends to look forward to a lifespan about one-third as long as a normal human, and that at least three generations passed since the end of the Jihad... it is a fair presumption that the Manei Domini who left have died in their exile since then.

Thanks,

ntin

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2014, 02:34:48 »
How feasible would have it been for the Word of Blake to set up a cryogenic freezing facility? So that the WoB remnants could put all their battle hardened Manei Domini into storage waiting for a time when they would be needed again.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2014, 02:38:01 »
How feasible would have it been for the Word of Blake to set up a cryogenic freezing facility? So that the WoB remnants could put all their battle hardened Manei Domini into storage waiting for a time when they would be needed again.
I think it would be easier just to make new cyborg super soldiers.

While cryogenics to exist in BT, the cybernetic implants would add all sorts of complications 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2014, 03:56:26 »
Just leave them on standby and switch them back on as and when required. If there is a start up error, switch them off and back on again. Failing that call the support line. If They can afford cybernetics They can afford a premium rate number to an outsourced call centre.
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2014, 07:53:55 »
Hi,

Shadow Divisions were entirely comprised of Manei Domini. But yes, non-MD Blakists did vanish with the departing Shadow Divisions nobody can account for. They were never seen again, as far as we all know--and, given that the average cyborg in BT tends to look forward to a lifespan about one-third as long as a normal human, and that at least three generations passed since the end of the Jihad... it is a fair presumption that the Manei Domini who left have died in their exile since then.

Thanks,

And this is why Herb's the man and I'm not. Thank you for the clarification good sir.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2014, 10:02:07 »
Just leave them on standby and switch them back on as and when required. If there is a start up error, switch them off and back on again. Failing that call the support line. If They can afford cybernetics They can afford a premium rate number to an outsourced call centre.

ComStar is currently down for maintenance: please attempt to call back at another time. We apologize for this delay and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thank you for using ComStar: Peace of Blake be with you.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2014, 11:13:58 »
You may be unhappy for a good long time, then. My apologies.

:'(

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2014, 11:16:01 »
Here is the real scary part. The MD from the Jihad may be gone but WoB has salvaged there cybernetics so they could be grafted on to new Holy Warriors of Blake!

What? Did you think they buried the whole warrior? Nope, just the biological parts.

ntin

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2014, 11:38:21 »
I think it would be easier just to make new cyborg super soldiers.

While cryogenics to exist in BT, the cybernetic implants would add all sorts of complications

What would these complications be? Per aToW most of these implants seem removable or could be surgically removed, before freezing.

Here is the real scary part. The MD from the Jihad may be gone but WoB has salvaged there cybernetics so they could be grafted on to new Holy Warriors of Blake!

What? Did you think they buried the whole warrior? Nope, just the biological parts.

While Blake does speak of the virtues of recycling. If the WoB is just hanging out there in a hidden periphery stronghold there new cybernetics after 60 years of being able to research must be pretty cool considering their late Jihad toys like the Gestalt, Wyrm, or Erinyes. If they went the organic Clan route and started to make genetically enhanced implants then the MD could already be in the Inner Sphere and no one would notice.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2014, 15:02:00 »
What would these complications be? Per aToW most of these implants seem removable or could be surgically removed, before freezing.

It would still be cheaper to remove the cybernetics, discard the biological components, and implant a fresh crop of thoroughly indoctrinated super-soldiers whenever the time has come to make another bid at cleansing the Inner Sphere.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2014, 04:51:03 »

One major complication, it is highly unlikely that they have a facility capable of handling all the remaining MD.  Building and maintaining such a facility would take large amounts of resources from more important projects.  A couple of key leaders perhaps but not entire divisions.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2014, 16:42:56 »
Jardine had extensive facilities, who knows what's on the remaining "Hidden" worlds or what WoB/Comstar has hidden other places.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2014, 20:01:27 »
Iron Wombs and MD cybernectics combined...

Need I say more? Also what if they have the best of both worlds? Sea Fox and Smoke Jaguar with IS idea.  Foxes for the tech and the Jaguar for the genes, the IS idea is to putboth togather to make non-frails.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2014, 20:55:13 »
Jardine had extensive facilities, who knows what's on the remaining "Hidden" worlds or what WoB/Comstar has hidden other places.

So you are saying that they might have created a huge cryogenics facility on the very remote chance they might need to cryogenically freeze entire Shadow Divisions.   ::)  Besides the cost of building and maintaining such an enormous facility there is also the problem in hiding it and its enormous energy signature.  Not to mention that building such a facility takes a lot of time, resources and manpower much of which would need to be imported thereby risk exposing the Hidden World.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ntin

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2014, 21:32:36 »
Iron Wombs and MD cybernectics combined...

Need I say more? Also what if they have the best of both worlds? Sea Fox and Smoke Jaguar with IS idea.  Foxes for the tech and the Jaguar for the genes, the IS idea is to putboth togather to make non-frails.

TT

I don’t see the benefit of making Trueborn Manei Domini. From what is in the “a Time of War” RPG book the cybernetic implants are much more impressive than the various Clan trueborn phenotypes. More so the interesting implants such as TSM or VDNI, were new technology. Without the maelstrom of the Jihad giving way for the need to push out new technology as quickly as possible the Word of Blake survivors could have refined or improved on, the technology further. 

One major complication, it is highly unlikely that they have a facility capable of handling all the remaining MD.  Building and maintaining such a facility would take large amounts of resources from more important projects.  A couple of key leaders perhaps but not entire divisions.

Well one of the remaining hidden worlds Obeedah (which are not so hidden after Herb spilled the beans) was set up for manufacturing and had a good size population. Making and maintaining Manei Domini, to complement the ‘Mechs would be a high priority tasks.

So you are saying that they might have created a huge cryogenics facility on the very remote chance they might need to cryogenically freeze entire Shadow Divisions.   ::)  Besides the cost of building and maintaining such an enormous facility there is also the problem in hiding it and its enormous energy signature.  Not to mention that building such a facility takes a lot of time, resources and manpower much of which would need to be imported thereby risk exposing the Hidden World.

The Blakist managed to keep Taussen and Obeedah, hidden well into the Dark Age era. Despite a lot of factions trying to locate them. The Word of Blake in a few decades rebuilt shattered worlds in the Chaos March, created a successful warship with a mass driver, submersible anti-warship weapons platform, super HPG (which were later used to make the Fortress Republic), mass produce divisions of trans-human cyborg soldiers, and fought a war in nearly every theater in the Inner Sphere simultaneously. So building a cryostasis facility on one of the hidden worlds or in the periphery to preserve some of the most battled hardened warriors to ever have lived as a backup, doesn’t seem that farfetched compared to everything else they had done. 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2014, 22:10:10 »
Hi,

Well one of the remaining hidden worlds Obeedah (which are not so hidden after Herb spilled the beans) was set up for manufacturing and had a good size population. Making and maintaining Manei Domini, to complement the ‘Mechs would be a high priority tasks.

Nothing I said is necessarily canon any longer. It cannot be used to argue points.

Thanks,

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2014, 01:00:41 »

I was actually referencing Archangel's comments about a large enough facility, not discussing cryogenics at all. It seems more likely that there is a facility on a hidden world able to produce more MD on a large scale, much like the WoB had done before.

As for the manpower and supplies, the WoB had no problem outfitting Jardine, Gabriel and the other hidden works under everyone's nose previously and even during the Age of the Republic Comstar outfitted a hidden world. And this all assumes they didn't have such in place.

Remember though, if you want it in your game go for it.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2014, 12:20:00 »

Well, maybe they had an entire planet like that and called it Telos..... ;D

Craig
(Doctor Who reference --- "Tomb of the Cybermen")
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Register