Author Topic: EDGE  (Read 4951 times)

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
EDGE
« on: 19 June 2014, 08:41:30 »
Can EDGE be used to save a PC or friendly NPC whp has EDGE from a deadly head shot in a mech. I think the companion book explains an EDGE save function to in effect save a character.
My PC tends to fear death during mech combat from random head shots so I am trying to word arouind this, but not give him an invulnerability.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Re: EDGE
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2014, 10:10:09 »
I think you can burn one EDGE to force a re-roll for a skillcheck against you (the attack), but dont know if that could work for random location roll.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2014, 11:41:47 »
in our games we did allow edge to be used to force a reroll that caused a hit location that resulted in an auto player kill, and/or we used it to allow for a "skin of the teeth" ejection.

basically if your are going to have your character killed because that ppc is going to blow your mechs head off, then you have a ... flash call it sixth sense or whatever and can yank the punch out handle and survive.

obviously npc's that don't have edge don't get this its one of the things that separates "heroes" aka characters from the mooks

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2014, 11:48:24 »
in our games we did allow edge to be used to force a reroll that caused a hit location that resulted in an auto player kill, and/or we used it to allow for a "skin of the teeth" ejection.

basically if your are going to have your character killed because that ppc is going to blow your mechs head off, then you have a ... flash call it sixth sense or whatever and can yank the punch out handle and survive.

obviously npc's that don't have edge don't get this its one of the things that separates "heroes" aka characters from the mooks

What you are saying is reasonable, what did you use for the cost? A single point of edge?
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2014, 17:00:08 »
I allow my players to burn an Edge point to get a "Skin of your teeth" ejection. There is a further cost, though - I tend to do something like roll on the hit location chart from AToW Companion and they lose that body part. It happens in the fiction, so it can happen in my game. >:D There's a whole section for prosthetics.

You could also allow for a Glancing Blow as per TacOps and have the head hit do half damage.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2014, 22:21:12 »
What you are saying is reasonable, what did you use for the cost? A single point of edge?
yes

1 point of edge = 1 reroll
in this case the reroll can be a try for another location besides head,
or a "quick ejection"
heroes (player chars) and major npc's can also get an edgeless skin of the teeth ejection but there WILL be detrimental effects like possible limb loss, major injuries, etc, that will likely incur something that constitutes a disadvantage because they effectively went in the hole for edge to survive.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2014, 00:58:38 »
I allow my players to use EDGE as they choose. Most use EDGE to reroll hit locations, such as a head hit, although they have used EDGE to move a critical roll to another slot, just as to avoid an ammo explosion.

Some of my players who have two or more EDGE have used the EDGE to move a crit roll onto an enemy's ammo slot.

Leto_II

• Corporal
  • I've been fighting the Clans since 1990.
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2014, 12:16:25 »
In the past, I've allowed them to burn one permanent edge point (they need to rebuy it at cost) in order to dodge an Instant Death result.  In the example given, I'd rule that the shot actually hit someplace else but destroyed the 'Mech - ammo explosion, freak critical, etc - but the pilot ejected.  I might still have them suffer the hits from an ammo/gauss explosion, though.
The Clans can be beaten. On the tabletop, anyway.  (Posted as Rush Maguin on the MWO forums)

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/17379-the-battle-of-luthien-war-story-from-a-tabletop-veteran/

Lost_Heretic

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2014, 17:58:57 »
In the past, I've allowed them to burn one permanent edge point (they need to rebuy it at cost) in order to dodge an Instant Death result.

This is how it works in Shadowrun and I think it's pretty okay.
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2014, 13:20:21 »
We allow them to use edge for just about any dice roll that affects their character.  Anything from a head blown off to moving a crit or reroll their initiative. They could not edge a roll for a friend. We allow edge to regenerate over time if the unit is out of combat we let one edge regen per month of down time. If the GM does not issue a blanket EDGE refresh for the start of a major campaign then players can buy back spent edge as listed in the book if they feel they are to low.

We also allow acts of fate to recover Edge points spent. A natural roll of snake eyes or box cars on a combat roll (must be in a combat situation) to recover a point of edge.

Even with all of this edge spending and recovering etc we still have people die. Most characters have 2-4 edge with only a few at 6. Our three year old ATOW group has seen at least two characters per year killed in mech due to people being out of edge and unable to avoid fate. We have also had a few who lost limbs and feel that is in keeping with the existing fluff of injured warriors and replacement limbs.