Author Topic: What makes an omni-mech obsolete?  (Read 17653 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: What makes an omni-mech obsolete?
« Reply #30 on: 22 June 2014, 15:07:01 »
I always found its confusing why certain OmniMech designs were obsolete. 

Then you noticed in later years, that featured configurations aren't changed as often as they used to.  Why? Takes about 10-15 minutes to change out weapons, yet some books talk about how certain clusters or regiments been sticking with one-configuration.   Blackjack OmniMech fluff (newer one from Upgrade) mentions that parts made by Irian aren't compatible with duplicate Blackjack OmniMechs produced by Kurita.   Are Kurita they obsolete because Kurita not making parts and pods for it anymore due to nukege of the factory, Irian factories making it so their stuff works only with the units they produced? 

It comes down to fluff and some design flaws that are put into some Mechs.  Strider for instance is horrible Mech, tin-foil for armor.  Sure you can put better configurations, but you have limited space and single heat sinks make it lacking in comparison to new designs produced by the Dark Age.   Owens is effective machine as scout, even with limited room.  If It were updated with double heat sinks and other Dark Age components, it would be light 'Mech to be reckoned with.

3058 Omnis were mix of good and bad.  Some factions didn't have access to Double Heat Sinks as readily as others, namely Kurita at the time.   

However, you wouldn't have room for new designs.  That where it comes down to it.  Have TRO dedicated to new variants isn't as exciting or dare say sexy in comparison to TRO full of new designs introduced.   Thats what made 3145 series stand out in comparison to Jihad era TROs.
the issue with the 3058 omnis was actually kurita "sabotage" basically what happened is Kurita released the specs to the other houses manufacturers with "firewire mk 1" interfaces, for the omnipods, when the clans were using usb2, and Kurita basically reverse engineered the usb2 and got it working, then started using it on all their Omni designs.

I know that's not exactly what it says but that is the gist.  that's why the omnis the other houses build had incompatible pod configurations, and interface issues.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 22 June 2014, 15:08:14 »
As much as I love some of the old designs, I would much prefer it is MORE mechs met such a fate to open up the way for new chassis.  I love the Marauder, but let the design die already.

Some designs are just made to last. They're like VW Beetles. They've been mass produced for so long and still have plenty of parts support that they'll be around forever.

snip

However, you wouldn't have room for new designs.  That where it comes down to it.  Have TRO dedicated to new variants isn't as exciting or dare say sexy in comparison to TRO full of new designs introduced.   Thats what made 3145 series stand out in comparison to Jihad era TROs.

There'd be room. Veteran pilot's sticking with assigned/owned machines, new pilots getting the new ones. Older machines being sent told 2nd line and militias. New machines going to the front lines. There's room for both. But you are right. TROs full of new stuff are more exciting.

As much as I love the Unseen, this is kinda my feeling on them.  They're decent enough designs, but the fact that they're so ubiquitous kinda takes away from factional flavor (in my view, anyway), so I always feel dirty including them.  EVEN THE ONES I LIKE.

Still, I guess if you've gotta plug up a hole, you've gotta plug up a hole.

I'm not sure how.  If newer multi-national machines don't take away from fractional flavor why would older ones, many of which have fractional variants? ???

According to the answers here. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38270.msg914673.html#msg914673  It isn't easy but older OMNIs can be upgraded a little bit to extend their service lives.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #32 on: 22 June 2014, 15:30:19 »

I'm not sure how.  If newer multi-national machines don't take away from fractional flavor why would older ones, many of which have fractional variants? ???

Those ones also make me feel unclean, dammit!

(That said, I do like it when, if a design happens to be freakin' everywhere, that there is at least a local version with a particularly unique flavor.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 22 June 2014, 16:39:23 »
the issue with the 3058 omnis was actually kurita "sabotage" basically what happened is Kurita released the specs to the other houses manufacturers with "firewire mk 1" interfaces, for the omnipods, when the clans were using usb2, and Kurita basically reverse engineered the usb2 and got it working, then started using it on all their Omni designs.

I know that's not exactly what it says but that is the gist.  that's why the omnis the other houses build had incompatible pod configurations, and interface issues.

Where is this stated?  As far as I am aware the only interface issues were with the Irian produced OmniMechs not LAW produced Omnis.  There were no similar compatibility issues between those produced in other states.  Irian was simply being greedy wanting to ensure that their customers come to them to buy parts and only them.

"Not surprisingly, most maintenance on the newer models requires IBMU-certified parts." (TRO3058U, p130)
"Several common configurations are offered by IBMU, though the ones utilizing League equipment are the most popular, despite rumors that the ones using older LAW equipment are being phased out due to incompatibility with the IBMU interface." (TRO3058U, p130)
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: 22 June 2014, 16:43:26 »
So far, the only thing that makes a Omni mech become obsolete is another Omni out preforming it. Both the Linebacker and the Warwolf had been built with the Timber Wolf in mind but nether can be called it's equal on the battlefield. The Savage Wolf does a very good job but that comes with a hefty price tag in a universe using Fasanomics. 

A good example would be the Puma/Adder which was built by the clans for the IS Invasion, a effective mech but it may have been looking at the same fate as the Nova prior to the invasion as newer omnis such as the Pouncer and Cougar appeared to preform the same role better.

The Thor and Loki seemed to be irreplaceable to Jade Falcon but now that we have the tougher Thor II and Loki MK II
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 22 June 2014, 17:05:14 »
Definition of obsolete (adj) - no longer produced; out of date

Just because something may be obsolete doesn't mean that it is no longer being used.  The same way many companies use obsolete equipment/methods to produce their good whether because of cost or because they believe the old method produces a superior quality product, many unit continue to use obsolete BattleMechs until something better comes along or until they can no longer capable of being fielded whether due to battle damage or lack of spare parts.

With regards to obsolete OmniMechs, while attrition will reduce the number fielded, they are likely to continue to be fielded as long as there are available spare parts.  They may no longer be fielded in front-line units as they are phased out in favor of more modern designs, but second-line units will have no problem continuing to field them.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #36 on: 22 June 2014, 18:05:26 »
Some designs are just made to last. They're like VW Beetles. They've been mass produced for so long and still have plenty of parts support that they'll be around forever.

But eventually, even the most produced and plentiful of supplies of parts being to run out.   VW beetles managed to win it's place in history because it had a 65 year production run... as the last ones were produced in 2003.   But that doesn't guarantee that it will be still in large general circulation 20 or 30 years from now, as it may start to see problems that many 60's, 70's, or 80's cars start to see as warehouses run out of OEM parts and have to turn to salvage, rebuilds, and other outlets for additional parts.   It gets costly pretty quick to keep an old car still running.   Luckily with 21 million produced, that will be a good deal longer into the future than many other cars.

The thing there is... mechs don't have those kind of production numbers.   Sure, they are prolific but never like that.   Considering that Wasp, one of the most prolific and earliest mechs in history, saw over it's entire life space only 200,000 or so units produced.   That means that other mechs are on a vastly lower scale of production.   That means lower numbers of mechs being available to salvage and smaller parts stores.   Heck, we saw succession war production rates for mechs that might as well been hand crafted by supercar manufacturers.   We had raids over remaining stockpiles of parts to keep them running.

It means that even the most produced and prolific of battlemechs over the course of history never reached Volkswagen Beetle levels of distribution.   So it would actually be really feasible and believable to see some of these designs get shuffled off the front page...  away from frontline units that would receive new construction to replace losses from combat and wear... and remain only in the hands of what would be the collector/enthusiast/merc.   They can still be upgraded and no doubt will be, as is the fate of anything owned by an individual with money, but there should be a point where there is an end to standard state sponsored production runs and leave the classic mechs to become specialty order vehicles, much like special collector cars...  you won't find them at dealerships as only 200 are produced a year and are thus worth far more than their individual parts.

Might be an interesting thought experiment to think of how car manufacturers rake collectors over the coals for classic and replica cars and then think of how a vintage collector of mechs might get raked over the coals as well by companies in the run up to the dark ages...  "Yes sir, come right in, this is indeed an authentic Warhammer built in 3019 with all matching numbers and parts.  You won't find another one like it in this condition.   And yes, all the heat sinks are definitely originals.   Sure, it's original list price says only 6,000,000 but you can't buy an original 6R configuration like this.  That is why I am offering you a deal at...."

I think a possible answer there might the idea that ubiquitous units, the omni-present concept, might be need to be investigated.   There are fewer and fewer multi-national designs, usual representing joint development vehicles at best so they are tied to one or two powers at best.   You can pin down an origin.   If a factory falls, you can trace how another power gets that mech thanks to the meta-plot for the game.

Older mechs, most of those could be traced to the idea that they were all former Star League standard mechs.  The Hegemony did the bulk of the production, the companies that are now multi-national were mostly once Hegemony companies.   The fall of the central superpower most likely forced what were once Terran focused companies to become international.   The succession wars were just a giant cluster **** and people did what they could to get by because they knew no better.  You kept building what you got.

But...  following the wars, with the techno-renaissance, there might be a drive by both states and companies to be looking to producing equipment using local resources, with local designs and stylings, instead of using something that while it was good in it's time, is most likely looking a bit rough around the edges.   If you are going to take a factory down anyways for needed refurbishment, might as well retool for something a bit more local in design, a bit more modern, than to just put it back up chunking out old designs.

This might even be advantageous for the multinational companies who could even save money with the shift in mass production of a design, sending the molds and machine parts off to smaller facilities to serve the reduced needs of producing replacement parts and special orders or even auctioning them off to other companies to produce to make room for newer machines built around newer technologies and materials.

There is a good deal of reasons to put an end an older machine that extend beyond just having a better machine in game terms.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #37 on: 22 June 2014, 18:39:10 »
But what makes them obsolete?

Fiat.
Eh.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #38 on: 22 June 2014, 19:00:00 »
The Wolves' Mad Cat workshop was described as being the "least productive line in the Inner Sphere", with individually hand-machined parts. From that, I wouldn't call it any level of mass-production. Looking at the car analogue again, it's akin to a small workshop that produces replica cars to demand more then anything else. Parts for it are going to be rare, simply because there's no fresh supply for them, especially if said parts have to be hand-made.

(Also I personally imagine that such a "boutique workshop" line wouldn't have survived the mass move to Free Worlds space, especially given that the Wolves abandoned fully functional 'Mech assembly lines)

Conversely, the Mad Cat Mk IV is in current mass production by the Foxes. It's in ready supply and parts for it are also easily available.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #39 on: 22 June 2014, 19:06:52 »
What signs?

TRO:3145 - Steiner mentions multiple Hauptmanns serving in the Fifth Lyran Guards.
TRO:3145 - Marik mentions Hauptmann in the Eleventh Lyran Guards

I'm guessing it's because the Hauptmann appears nowhere on the 3145 RATs. Although I do agree, your examples do show that there are still Hauptmanns around in the modern era, and I doubt that they would have added three new configs in RS 3145 NTNU if there weren't still plenty in the LCAF.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 19:09:19 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #40 on: 22 June 2014, 19:09:30 »
I'm guessing it's because the Hauptmann appears nowhere on the 3145 RATs.

RATs are not exactly the widest casting of the net in terms of what is out there.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #41 on: 22 June 2014, 19:11:21 »
Indubitably, but Martian was asking why Wrayth would say that, and I figured that was the "sign" he was referring to.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #42 on: 22 June 2014, 19:23:54 »
Lets look at the Dire Wolf, No Clan is producing it in the Inner Sphere, and in the Homeworlds they had limited production in Clan Wolf and Smoke Jag factorys. Only the Wolf Dragoons were producing it in the Inner Sphere with the possibility the WiE may have had some very limited production. The Jags Factory was destroyed on Huntress, the Wolf factory was either captured by a Homeworld Clan or destroyed, but in WoR supplemental its not mentioned as an obsolete mech so good chance someone is still making them. The Dragoons factory was destroyed in the opening shots of the Jihad leaving the only possibility for Inner Sphere production the WiE if they even produced them in the first place.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 22 June 2014, 19:45:18 »
The Dragoons factory was destroyed in the opening shots of the Jihad leaving the only possibility for Inner Sphere production the WiE if they even produced them in the first place.

They probably did produce them in limited numbers HOWEVER over time they likely would have permanently phased out production in favor of designs that are more easily (and cheaper) to produce (which is practically ever other WiE design including the Timber Wolf).  Unfortunately for them in 3145 they aren't so much having a shortage of 'Mechs than a shortage of bodies to pilot them.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 22 June 2014, 19:54:22 »
RATs suppose to represent the broadest spectrum. Even the most rare machines there suppose to represent at least 1-3% of that military force. You could have a battalion's worth of timbers, and they won't show up in the super powers tables.

Considering they made like one timber a year, it's more a collectors item than a common line unit that can stand the attrition of active combat.

As for extinction/obsoleteness, the writers mentioned they prefer to be easy on the trigger and err on the side of caution; i.e. If there's even a single star combined spread across the IS, it's not "extinct". Endangered, maybe 8).
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #45 on: 22 June 2014, 19:55:26 »
There's no evidence that the WiE ever produced the Daishi

The Hauptmann line on Coventry was destroyed during the Jihad. It had not been rebuilt by 3079, and CMW was suffering from severe financial problems at the time which may have prevented it from ever being repaired. On the other hand, I agree that with new configs in the 3145 NTNU, there's clearly more then a few out there. It is a pretty rugged design and not exactly easy to kill.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 22 June 2014, 20:33:59 »
I do wish there was a canon version of Worktroll's Army Report books.  His listing of faction Mechs and other units with rarity from Common to rare helps get field how often you may end up seeing or encountering a particular Mech, vehicle and so forth.

I'd Love to see this applied to newer eras, which could help people narrow down what around in particular era.  The MUL is around help and its getting better, but its far from complete.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #47 on: 22 June 2014, 21:50:24 »
As much as I love the Unseen, this is kinda my feeling on them.  They're decent enough designs, but the fact that they're so ubiquitous kinda takes away from factional flavor (in my view, anyway), so I always feel dirty including them.  EVEN THE ONES I LIKE.

The unseen have a factional flavor, that faction just happens to be the Terran Hegemony.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #48 on: 22 June 2014, 21:57:24 »
There's no evidence that the WiE ever produced the Daishi

Probably not, but throwing it out there as a definite Clan Wolf design I could see them producing them in very limited numbers.

From what I gather they were produced on Strana Mechty, Huntress, and Outreach only. And Huntress the factory was destroyed by TF Serpeant, and Outreach's factory by WoB, or was it? It could be possible the factory survived as the area wasn't really hit by nukes and WoB may have seized it and moved the equipment out. The only remaining factory would be Strana Mechty and only because that world weathered the WoR relatively well but did it survive unscathed? I could see the Wolves damaging it rather than letting it fall into another Clans hands after they were ruled against.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #49 on: 22 June 2014, 22:01:24 »
The unseen have a factional flavor, that faction just happens to be the Terran Hegemony.

This was actually pretty funny.   ;D
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 22 June 2014, 22:22:43 »
The Wolves' Mad Cat workshop was described as being the "least productive line in the Inner Sphere", with individually hand-machined parts.

Still producing them. If we go by my Rough Calculations We're probably talking somewhere around 4 to 8 a year if they aren't trying very hard at all. Not terribly impressive, but it still counts against entropy.

From that, I wouldn't call it any level of mass-production. Looking at the car analogue again, it's akin to a small workshop that produces replica cars to demand more then anything else.

Still, if warriors want them, it sounds like there's justification to think they might be able to get them. And, going with your Car analogy, guess who's got a history of being exactly that sort of botique production outfit? VEST.

Parts for it are going to be rare, simply because there's no fresh supply for them, especially if said parts have to be hand-made.

Parts made explicitly for Timber Wolves, yes. Thing is, there are an awful lot of mechs that aren't in any sort of active production, that are still getting used by everyone across the inner sphere. Adapting a similar part, or fabricating a replacement anew from raw materials, for many machines, is the order of the day anyway. This is not a woeful condition that is somehow unique to the Timber Wolf. On top of that, the Timber Wolf is fairly well positioned to adapt parts from other designs.

The Reactor, for example. Many would consider this one of the more valuable parts of a mech. Once upon a time, the 375XL was not a popular flavor of reactor at all, found only in the Timber Wolf and Black Python. But 3145 and the years leading up to it, have been kind to the 375XL. Off the top of my head,the Ryoken II, Cave Lion, Warwolf, Sphinx, and Jade Hawk are all sporting 375XLs. if we adapt an ASF Engine, Ostrogoths use them too. Plenty of sources for the reactor.

The Gyro, is really at the heart of what makes an omnimech an omnimech. An Omnimech's Gyro has to be able to adapt to the load, and let's say that it even needs to be a gyro from the same tonnage of mech (even though some gyro sizes persist across multiple tonnages.) The Wolves are still building Omnimech Gyros suitable for a 75 ton Omnimech, since they build the Warwolf. If need be, the Savage Wolf is also a 75t Omni, so it's gyro would also be adaptable to the needs of making or maintaining a Timber Wolf.

As for the actuator packages, I've already named a plethora of 75t clan mechs that move 5/8, and could all donate muscles to building a Timber Wolf. Likewise, the Warwolf demonstrates that a design need not be married to a Targeting and Tracking computer or communications suite. They utilized un-stated models of T&T and Comm computers, and they switched to a different model when they reestablished the empire. That said, if we want to be really picky about them, the Tomahawk II and Savage Wolf can both donate updated versions of the gear that the original timby used. In the abstract, endosteel is endosteel, and the wolves are certainly producing that. It might require some custom mold work, but I cannot imagine that that is a large enough hurdle to sink the project entirely. Furthermore we have a fair bit of reason to imagine that generic endosteel blanks, to be reworked into specific parts could well be a thing given the logistical nightmare that is the armies of the Battletech universe.

The fiddly bits that make an omni an omni, but are not represented in the construction systems, the conduits the wiring harnesses the coolant routing, all the little stuff that gets glossed over, could concievably be leeched from other omnimech production, because yay, standardization.

(Also I personally imagine that such a "boutique workshop" line wouldn't have survived the mass move to Free Worlds space, especially given that the Wolves abandoned fully functional 'Mech assembly lines)

Citation Needed. Everything I read in the 3145 books indicated that they left the buildings and generic equipment behind, but took their tooling and specific equipment with them, leaving behind the foundations of an industrial process, but not any "flip the power back on and you're building mechs again that day" lines. I tend to think that the tools to support maintaining extant timber wolves and botique build new ones would be a small burden beside the tooling for an entire mech line.

Conversely, the Mad Cat Mk IV is in current mass production by the Foxes. It's in ready supply and parts for it are also easily available.

By an entirely external power. One that you really can't count on remaining friendly to you if you're another clan. Especially if you go doing ambitious things that might put your clan at odds with other clans.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #51 on: 22 June 2014, 22:29:49 »
Citation Needed. Everything I read in the 3145 books indicated that they left the buildings and generic equipment behind, but took their tooling and specific equipment with them, leaving behind the foundations of an industrial process, but not any "flip the power back on and you're building mechs again that day" lines. I tend to think that the tools to support maintaining extant timber wolves and botique build new ones would be a small burden beside the tooling for an entire mech line.

Side note: It appears that they left enough behind at those factories to make worlds like Tamar and Weingarten highly desirable to the Horses and Bears, since both of them moved quickly to take those worlds immediately after the Wolves left. For whatever that's worth.

- Klarg1

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 22 June 2014, 22:41:55 »
Oh, yeah, I'm not saying they stripped everything of value.

I took it to mean that it was like moving out of your house. Most of the moves I've seen have taken all the furniture out, and some of the electronics. I'm not going to leave my computer behind, or my television when I move. nor am I going to leave the bed or the couch. But I'm not going to hit the mains breaker, and start pulling copper out of the walls. Somebody can move in, and put their couch, and their TV in that house, and be back in business relatively quickly.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure the message from the '45 publications is that the wolves left the house livable, but took their TV. They weren't fighting over fully furnished factories, but someplace that's maybe 60% of the way to producing mechs again. you move in the computers and tooling and molds for your particular mech you wanna build, smooth out the process, and you're back in business. The statement I was responding to, I read as "The Horses just have to flip the switch and feed raw materials in, and they can build Tundra Wolves the same afternoon they won the plant"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #53 on: 23 June 2014, 00:31:04 »
How about we discuss some other OmniMechs, this Timber Wolf discussion seems to be going nowhere.

Does the Vandal edge anything out in StarCorps? I seem to recall that they were building some first generation stuff. Despite some of its odd design choices I rather like it myself but I'm not sold on the torso mounted cockpit. I just don't know if it really represents much of a leap in design.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #54 on: 23 June 2014, 00:54:10 »
How about we discuss some other OmniMechs, this Timber Wolf discussion seems to be going nowhere.

Does the Vandal edge anything out in StarCorps? I seem to recall that they were building some first generation stuff. Despite some of its odd design choices I rather like it myself but I'm not sold on the torso mounted cockpit. I just don't know if it really represents much of a leap in design.

I think the Vandal is one of those cases of a multi-national building something explicitly for a single power, probably bound by contracts and exclusivity clauses and the like. That being said, I can't see it replacing anything else in production immediately, especially given it's, uh, specialised design specs.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 23 June 2014, 02:49:37 »
Those ones also make me feel unclean, dammit!

(That said, I do like it when, if a design happens to be freakin' everywhere, that there is at least a local version with a particularly unique flavor.)

Have you tried washing them?

I imagine after a time there would be variants with very unique flavors.

But eventually, even the most produced and plentiful of supplies of parts being to run out.   VW beetles managed to win it's place in history because it had a 65 year production run... as the last ones were produced in 2003.   But that doesn't guarantee that it will be still in large general circulation 20 or 30 years from now, as it may start to see problems that many 60's, 70's, or 80's cars start to see as warehouses run out of OEM parts and have to turn to salvage, rebuilds, and other outlets for additional parts.   It gets costly pretty quick to keep an old car still running.   Luckily with 21 million produced, that will be a good deal longer into the future than many other cars.

There's also the fact that the VW microbus is set to eclipse the VW Beetle as the most mass produced vehicle soon, so there's lots of parts commonality without going to those others you mentioned. Which are still available. Yes it gets costly to maintain old cars and the circulation in 20 to 30 years won't be as wide. But they'll still be around.

The thing there is... mechs don't have those kind of production numbers.   Sure, they are prolific but never like that.   Considering that Wasp, one of the most prolific and earliest mechs in history, saw over it's entire life space only 200,000 or so units produced.   That means that other mechs are on a vastly lower scale of production.   That means lower numbers of mechs being available to salvage and smaller parts stores.   Heck, we saw succession war production rates for mechs that might as well been hand crafted by supercar manufacturers.   We had raids over remaining stockpiles of parts to keep them running.

It means that even the most produced and prolific of battlemechs over the course of history never reached Volkswagen Beetle levels of distribution.   So it would actually be really feasible and believable to see some of these designs get shuffled off the front page...  away from frontline units that would receive new construction to replace losses from combat and wear... and remain only in the hands of what would be the collector/enthusiast/merc.   They can still be upgraded and no doubt will be, as is the fate of anything owned by an individual with money, but there should be a point where there is an end to standard state sponsored production runs and leave the classic mechs to become specialty order vehicles, much like special collector cars...  you won't find them at dealerships as only 200 are produced a year and are thus worth far more than their individual parts.

That's all very true. I think it's a mistake that people assume they're all that was during the Succession Wars and before when they're just a slice of what was available. But I don't think that just because they get old means production would end. Besides it's not so much the state producing them but buying them. We also have no idea about how many spare parts were made or how interchangeable parts were. For some mechs we know had limited production an non interchangeable parts like the Clint. Other mechs are apparently very interchangeable like the Wasp and Stinger.  That's going to throw off when States decide to get rid of them. Usually when they deem them not worth the expense of totally rebuilding them.

Might be an interesting thought experiment to think of how car manufacturers rake collectors over the coals for classic and replica cars and then think of how a vintage collector of mechs might get raked over the coals as well by companies in the run up to the dark ages...  "Yes sir, come right in, this is indeed an authentic Warhammer built in 3019 with all matching numbers and parts.  You won't find another one like it in this condition.   And yes, all the heat sinks are definitely originals.   Sure, it's original list price says only 6,000,000 but you can't buy an original 6R configuration like this.  That is why I am offering you a deal at...."

Yeah. I can definitely see that happening.

I think a possible answer there might the idea that ubiquitous units, the omni-present concept, might be need to be investigated.   There are fewer and fewer multi-national designs, usual representing joint development vehicles at best so they are tied to one or two powers at best.   You can pin down an origin.   If a factory falls, you can trace how another power gets that mech thanks to the meta-plot for the game.

Older mechs, most of those could be traced to the idea that they were all former Star League standard mechs.  The Hegemony did the bulk of the production, the companies that are now multi-national were mostly once Hegemony companies.   The fall of the central superpower most likely forced what were once Terran focused companies to become international.   The succession wars were just a giant cluster **** and people did what they could to get by because they knew no better.  You kept building what you got.

But...  following the wars, with the techno-renaissance, there might be a drive by both states and companies to be looking to producing equipment using local resources, with local designs and stylings, instead of using something that while it was good in it's time, is most likely looking a bit rough around the edges.   If you are going to take a factory down anyways for needed refurbishment, might as well retool for something a bit more local in design, a bit more modern, than to just put it back up chunking out old designs.

This might even be advantageous for the multinational companies who could even save money with the shift in mass production of a design, sending the molds and machine parts off to smaller facilities to serve the reduced needs of producing replacement parts and special orders or even auctioning them off to other companies to produce to make room for newer machines built around newer technologies and materials.

The thing is those machine built in different stats would mostly be using local products to cut back on production costs. That could be where we could get some extra-flavor for them. Besides visually differences the quality of the internal components may not be the same. One house could have a better medium laser mounted while another has a better autocannon and another better sensors. Without quirks they'd appear identical but add in quirks to national variants and you could get a very different machine from the base model available to mercenaries. And those are going to be completely different from those rebuilt out of after market generic parts instead of brand new specialty parts which will be different from those made with vintage parts. Even machines made the same year can have very different handling characteristics. And that's all without creating a really different variants like the PPC Shadow Hawks and Catapults.

It'd be so great to have a listing for quirky tech as well as optional table to roll on for various quirks based on age and deployment.

There is a good deal of reasons to put an end an older machine that extend beyond just having a better machine in game terms.

That's a a reason to keep the old machines. They're tried and true compared to new and untested.

Is that like _____   flavored chicken? What would the other flavors taste like.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 23 June 2014, 03:12:56 »
I'm guessing it's because the Hauptmann appears nowhere on the 3145 RATs. Although I do agree, your examples do show that there are still Hauptmanns around in the modern era, and I doubt that they would have added three new configs in RS 3145 NTNU if there weren't still plenty in the LCAF.

RATs can't be exhaustive.

For example the Devastator used to be the mainstay of the AFFC/LAAF/AFFS assault units for decades. Yet neither ER:3145 nor FM:3145 show it in their RATs for the Lyran Commonwealth.
Or the Gunslinger.
Or the Goliath (I remember that the Lyrans actually built two different models).
Or the Salamander. It's not present in those RATs, but from RS:3145NTNU we know that the Lyrans have a new variant with ELRMs.
Or that (in)famous Wolf Tomahawk. The Wolves have built it for decades and yet no RAT shows it.

So the fact that the Hauptmann is not listed in RATs does not worry me.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 23 June 2014, 03:26:27 »
RATs suppose to represent the broadest spectrum. Even the most rare machines there suppose to represent at least 1-3% of that military force.

The purpose of RATs is not to show exact percentual representation of 'Mechs.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 23 June 2014, 06:11:32 »
But they are suppose to be a slice of the most common equipment. Some variants are rare enough, to not warrent a spot on the RATs. The 3145 sourcebooks mentions that most armies are trying to phase out pre-jihad gear; and since a lot of jihad-era variants were created out of desperation, rather than design, and if you factor in the military drawdowns, the armies of the IS could afford only to keep the most advanced gear, and mothball grandpa's mech. Didn't help that the hippies at the republic were actively buying and melting mechs for "peace medals"...

Going through the fluff, the no.1 reason for omnis (and regular battlemechs) for becoming obsolete is speed. Just not being able to keep up with the new kids. For lights it's basically a death sentence, but assaults suffer less, though they are often relegated to second line base defense, unless they have some feature to justify their presence on the line.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #59 on: 23 June 2014, 07:15:28 »

There's also the fact that the VW microbus is set to eclipse the VW Beetle as the most mass produced vehicle soon, so there's lots of parts commonality without going to those others you mentioned. Which are still available. Yes it gets costly to maintain old cars and the circulation in 20 to 30 years won't be as wide. But they'll still be around. 

That would be correct if the model T1, T2, or T3...  which did share a good deal of components but as of 1990 with the T4, the microbus switched engine types and body stylings.   Post 1990, using parts from a T1-T3 in a T4-5 would be akin to trying to use parts from a 1970's mustang in an 80's or modern day mustang.   They all have the same name but are woefully different machines.   

There might be actually a similar problem with trying to adapt parts from one chassis to another, even of the same model.   The game rules don't go into it, as that is just a sliver more complexity than this game likes to go into at times... not always but at times...  so perhaps beyond just a simple 'this is a better model', an in-universe change that is as of yet unknown might have occurred within the model and now parts from an earlier model no longer work or are as easy to use within the model have come into play... as some engineer tinkering with improving the design did something.

Doesn't mean you can't find OEM parts but just that it might be cheaper in the long run to switch to a newer vehicle that parts are still being produced for and thus less a burden on the pocketbook when it comes time to do the inevitable maintenance and repairs.   But there is always going to be people who keep old machines running.   You can't deny that, I know that, but there does come a point where major repair shops stop stocking locally the parts for older machines and they turn into expensive specialty items that need to be shipped in from an off site warehouse.

That's all very true. I think it's a mistake that people assume they're all that was during the Succession Wars and before when they're just a slice of what was available. But I don't think that just because they get old means production would end. Besides it's not so much the state producing them but buying them. We also have no idea about how many spare parts were made or how interchangeable parts were. For some mechs we know had limited production an non interchangeable parts like the Clint. Other mechs are apparently very interchangeable like the Wasp and Stinger.  That's going to throw off when States decide to get rid of them. Usually when they deem them not worth the expense of totally rebuilding them. 

Fair enough.   We have definitely seen over time more designs fit into the eras of the older books.   Wonderful.   Much like how for any year, there are more than just the 'big three' automakers and a few big international companies...  but the parts catalogs are often jammed packed with small makers and smaller lines for any year.    I mostly used Stinger/Wasp because they are nearly identical machines and are often lorded as some of the most mass produced battlemechs ever.  It sets the high water mark for statistics.

And you are right, we do not know how many spare parts there are.  Much like the mystic ghost poltergeist that is FASA-nomics, that is too much detail for most to care too much to fill in... it is just too much information for most to want to keep track of.  Kind of like the aforementioned lack of details  of what really goes into each of the various models.   Now, say house X has a moderate supply of common mech Z, unfortunately for them, they lack the ability to actually build it.   If this was the succession wars, of course they would continue to use mech Y as they have no other choice but time has moved on.   House X has regained the ability to build new mech factories...  does it A) build/adapt a line to produce mech Y or B) use this as a chance to build mech Z to replace mech Y... perhaps take common concepts from Y but definitely a new design?    Some might choose A over B or perhaps they want to throw house L for a loop and make any captured machines that L will get from X less than useful by not using a standard part that would be common to house X.

It's a possibility and a reason.   It's not concrete or even verified but it might drive someone to make a choice.   Moving away from what was once a universal standard to one that is a standard amongst only you and your allies might not always be a terrible choice.   Just something to consider.    I know there will be people who will choose option A, why not?   It lets my machines use the other person's parts and ammo without problem but it also lets them do the same.   Not always optimal... but that is, like most of my examples, more detail than the game is apt or likes to take into consideration.

The thing is those machine built in different stats would mostly be using local products to cut back on production costs. That could be where we could get some extra-flavor for them. Besides visually differences the quality of the internal components may not be the same. One house could have a better medium laser mounted while another has a better autocannon and another better sensors. Without quirks they'd appear identical but add in quirks to national variants and you could get a very different machine from the base model available to mercenaries. And those are going to be completely different from those rebuilt out of after market generic parts instead of brand new specialty parts which will be different from those made with vintage parts. Even machines made the same year can have very different handling characteristics. And that's all without creating a really different variants like the PPC Shadow Hawks and Catapults.

It'd be so great to have a listing for quirky tech as well as optional table to roll on for various quirks based on age and deployment.

Now that would be fun to say the very least.   Not every likes that kind of detail but definitely would be great to see.  I love the idea of machines getting quirkier and more finicky with age and wear.   I know vehicles seem to get that way...  that one place you kick the truck to make it stop whining that doesn't work on the truck of the same model and year sitting next to it... but it has an odd hissing sound that no matter how much you look at it, you can't seem to find the source.   Or the same model truck three stalls down that has a tick to it that no matter how many times you change the parts, it wants to act a certain way when turns to the right... noting major or detrimental but you feel it in the wheel.  They are all the same model truck, same maker, same year... all completely different machines that provide endless frustration day in and day out.    Way more detail than what the average pick up game player wants but definitely a step in making it feel a bit more organic and real.

That's a a reason to keep the old machines. They're tried and true compared to new and untested.

Nothing wrong with old and true...  as long as someone keeps producing the parts for it or there is a ready supply of replacements after production has ceased.   But the moment BMW stops producing the model engine you are using, suddenly it starts to get really expensive to keep the thrice cursed machine moving... with weeks spent waiting for parts to arrive to keep it running.

I think there is a sweet spot here.   Old machines that are plentiful will stay plentiful in their parts via OEM supplies, newly machined custom parts, rebuilds, and salvage...  as there is demand to keep them working.   The problem comes when the number of old vehicles drops below a critical thresh hold.   That is the point where things become a pain to keep running and the price begins to rise.   The same thing happens when a new machine is introduced...  there isn't yet a ready supply of repair parts available and the price is going to be high but as that new machine enters into that middle ground of acceptance... where there is now currently a good supply, then the price stabilizes.

I love the idea of old machines that fill the fleet (till they inevitably catch fire/break down on the road and throw my whole operation for the day into chaos) as much as I gush over the latest model semi tractor or delivery vehicle with all their new gadgets.  I just know there is a certain point that things have to leave general production and service and become collector/specialty vehicles that are not issued or openly supported any more.   That doesn't prevent someone from buying an old model but they start to take on the burden of keeping it working.

But again, that is more detail than the game is apt to have or track but it may be a reason for a major interstellar power to make a choice.   But... when a major power begins to sell off older machines, that is where the merc lives... grabbing up those old machines and thus it gets to live on in the 2nd hand market... with people who have no qualms tearing an old machine apart and rebuilding it to keep it running...  customizing them to a degree that takes them far beyond the state standard models.

There are a lot of reasons for something to happen... one way or another.   Besides... well...  GhostBear's fiat comment.   As much as I would love to argue that or demand data to back up that...  it ultimately holds sway over lore.

Or... perhaps it really is all the subtle manipulations of a certain Italian car manufacturer who is secretly pulling the strings on an interstellar scale.