Author Topic: Differences Between TW and CBMR?  (Read 7892 times)

Jame Rowe

• Corporal
Differences Between TW and CBMR?
« on: 01 July 2014, 13:46:08 »
What are the differences between Classic Battletech Master Rules, the FASA/FanPro Third Edition, and Total Warfare?
Thank you!
I don't know what the Kitfox does as a mech, I just like foxes.

Panther, Enforcer, Hatchetman, Grasshopper!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Differences Between TW and CBMR?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2014, 15:16:51 »
Third edition came out under FASA, and was more or less a straight reprint of 2nd edition, If it changed anything it just added the rules for the AC/2, AC/10, AC/20 and Hatchet.

4th Edition came out under FASA as well, and was reprinted by FanPro as the Classic BattleTech box set.  The main rules change here was removing the base to-hit number for short, medium and long range, making gunnery skill the to-hit number instead, and adding a range modifier.  The resulting hit numbers remained unchanged, but this was a more streamlined way of calculating it.  This change was made to bring the core rules in line with the changes in the BattleTech Compendium: The rules of warfare

This edition of the box set removed the plastic minis of 3rd edition, moving to foamcore standing counters.  The mechs in the box had become the unseen, and were replaced with:

COM-2D Commando
    SDR-5V Spider
    JR7-D Jenner
    PNT-9R Panther
    ASN-21 Assassin
    CDA-2A Cicada
    CLNT-2-3T Clint
    HER-2S Hermes II
    WTH-1 Whitworth
    VND-1R Vindicator
    ENF-4R Enforcer
    HBK-4G Hunchback
    TBT-5N Trebuchet
    DV-6M Dervish
    DRG-1N Dragon
    QKD-4G Quickdraw
    CPLT-C1 Catapult
    JM6-S JagerMech
    GHR-5H Grasshopper
    AWS-8Q Awesome
    ZEU-6S Zeus
    CP-10-Z Cyclops
    BNC-3E Banshee
    AS7-D Atlas

That box was superseded by FanPro's Classic BattleTech Introductory Box set, which repackaged the rules and added plastic minis for each of the designs.  Melee combat was changed slightly so piloting skill is now the base to-hit for attacks, with a modifier based on what sort of attack you're doing.  Some attacks became harder as a result. 

It was in turn replaced with the 25th Anniversary box set, which swapped the paper maps out for heavy card stock, and added high quality minis of a Thor and Loki.

This year, a new edition of the Introductory Box Set came out with new improved castings of the minis used in the prior two boxes, and replaced the Thor and Loki with a BattleMaster and Mad Cat.

Total Warfare was relased concurrently with the Introductory Box Set, and reflects the change in melee combat rules.  It represents a major overhaul of the wider BT rules as well.  A quick rundown of the major changes:

• Skidding on pavement was altered slightly
  • Hovercraft and VTOLs now have a chance to sideslip, a less dangerous skid if they turn while flanking
  • A new vehicle type: Wing in Ground Effect (WiGE), based on real-life vehicles like the Ekranoplan, this is a midway point between hovercraft and VTOLs
  • Vechicle firing arcs are revised slightly
  • Vehicles take damage in a very different fashion now.  The hit tables are revised so you can now hit the side the attacker is facing, a turret, as well as the two adjacent sides.  There is no guaranteed damage to the motive systems, the old hit locations that would immobilise or incur movement penalties now generate a roll on a motive system damage table. The vehicle critical hit table is now a 2D6 roll against a different table for each side, with a substantial chance of no crit
  • Infantry now have an anti-mech skill, used when making swarm and leg attacks
  • Infantry take damage very differently.  Large anti-mech weapons tend to do less damage, while machine guns, flamers and the like are incredibly dangerous.
  • New infantry type: Mechanised.  This represents troopers in soft-skinned vehicles like humm-vees

As well as all this, the scope of the rulebooks shifts.  Anything deemed too complicated for tournament play- most notably artillery, smoke and fire is shifted to Tactical operations.  AeroTech 2 is discontinued and the rules for Fighters, Shuttles and DropShips are moved to Total Warfare, with JumpShips, WarShips, Space Stations and advanced aerospace rules moved to Strategic operations.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2014, 15:40:35 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qljzi51gy7swave/Compendium%20to%20BMRr%20Changes.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daxfvz5ukut4l2s/Total%20Warfare%20Changes.txt?dl=0

I think those links work: trying to do this with a phone sucks.

EDIT: all credit to MadCapellan and ColBosch for writing the latter - I just glued their two documents together into the one text file here.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2018, 00:04:53 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2014, 16:01:50 »
As near as I can tell with the Total Warfare rules are some minor changes on how partial cover works.  You now only get a +1 instead of a +3 cover bonus, but you use the full hit location chart to determine where you hit instead of the punching table, but the upside is that anything that hits the mech's legs hits the cover instead.

That was about it as far as I can tell.

Total Warfare also has pretty much all of the rules for the new weapons that are in the game right now, a list that is growing every few years or so.

Honestly, the game has changed so little over the years that almot any rulebook is still good.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2014, 17:08:19 »
As near as I can tell with the Total Warfare rules are some minor changes on how partial cover works.  You now only get a +1 instead of a +3 cover bonus, but you use the full hit location chart to determine where you hit instead of the punching table, but the upside is that anything that hits the mech's legs hits the cover instead.

That was about it as far as I can tell.

Total Warfare also has pretty much all of the rules for the new weapons that are in the game right now, a list that is growing every few years or so.

Honestly, the game has changed so little over the years that almot any rulebook is still good.

For mechs, yeah. Big changes to infantry and vehicles in TW

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Jame Rowe

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2014, 16:07:57 »
So if I got a copy of CMBR I could use it to play against someone with Total Warfare then?

And thanks for all your help!
I don't know what the Kitfox does as a mech, I just like foxes.

Panther, Enforcer, Hatchetman, Grasshopper!

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2014, 16:49:22 »
If it helps, the electronic versions of the core rulebooks are usually sold at a discount on either the BattleShop or DriveThruRPG.

Indeed, Total Warfare itself is currently down to US$11.25 on DTRPG, as part of their "Xmas in July" sales.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 16:50:55 by Nerroth »

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2014, 17:07:24 »
Some equipment also changed, some of it significantly in terms of how it works with other things.  Off the top of my head Targeting Computers and Anti-Missile Systems have the biggest changes.  Also, Inferno SRMs work COMPLETELY differently.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

massey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2014, 17:16:05 »
So if I got a copy of CMBR I could use it to play against someone with Total Warfare then?

And thanks for all your help!

For the most part, yes.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2014, 17:58:08 »
For the most part, yes.

Except if using vehicles.
Or partial cover.
Or MASC, targeting computers.

If you already have CMBR, that's one thing (cost versus reward).  But I wouldn't get CMBR in order to play.  You're going to hate all the times it's different..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2014, 09:28:57 »
Except if using vehicles.
Or partial cover.
Or MASC, targeting computers.

and kicks, punches or anything else that is classified as a physical attack...
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2014, 12:01:39 »
Let's be fair, though.  The change to TW was a small one.  BattleTech is extraordinarily conservative with the rules.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2014, 05:46:50 »
Let's be fair, though.  The change to TW was a small one.  BattleTech is extraordinarily conservative with the rules.

true :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Register