Author Topic: Training skill: how does it work?  (Read 1968 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Training skill: how does it work?
« on: 08 July 2014, 11:57:28 »
How many trainees can a trainer train simultaneously? one, ten, hundred, thousand?
What about unconventional methods like pre-recorded, or video-conference lectures?
Can you double-team a trainee? I.e. can two different trainers train him in two different skills (like: one for navigation and one for computers), in the same period of time?
Is it maybe only possible for training in basic levels (1-3)? I know you can spend xp on those levels without training, but I'm working a scenario where the players (grizzled veterans, with various levels in training) are trying to drill a green company of recruit fresh out of boot.

It's just that looking in army training and academic studies, it's very rare for teachers to actually sit with the same student one-on-one for more than a few hours a week top, and you usually  train/study multiple skills at the same training period.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Re: Training skill: how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2014, 14:01:36 »
I think a lot of those questions are up to your game group. My personal opinion is that trainers should only be able to double-team trainees when they are teaching basic skills, but even then I think the time should be extended because they are not focusing exclusively on a single skill. Just my opinion though.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2014, 22:16:47 »
  Have you ever taught a class?
  As a sergeant in the US Army, I've had to teach a variety of classes, from field sanitation, to weapons maintenance, to Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare procedures. I've seen good teachers and poor teachers over the years so there is more to teaching than standing up in front of a group of people and talking.

I've taken hundreds of training courses, from tape & slide show courses in an Army library to FAA flight simulators with instructor teams.

Before a pilot even gets to the simulator lab he takes months of ground school just on the various rules and regulations. The instructor covers the general subject and answers questions concerning details.

How many trainees can a trainer train simultaneously? one, ten, hundred, thousand?
  It depends on the complexity of the course. I could teach a company of a hundred the step-by-step in stripping, cleaning and reassembly of a small arm, as well as the proper way to brush and floss. I suppose the same course could be shown on a big screen to thousands of pupils.
What about unconventional methods like pre-recorded, or video-conference lectures?
  Those are very conventional, as I took Army courses on cassette tape with a corresponding collection of slides on a carousel projector in an individual booth, back in 1980. VCR courses and lectures were just being introduced then. I took courses on land navigation, map reading, operating a TOW missile, target ranging methods, morse code, and as many as I could take tests for in an afternoon. Needless to say, my training records were insane...but counted for promotion.
Can you double-team a trainee?
I.e. can two different trainers train him in two different skills (like: one for navigation and one for computers), in the same period of time?
  It looks like a bit of a train wreck but with proper coordination, I suppose it could be done. When I studied aviation, I had teams of trainers that taught various phases but never at the same time.
Is it maybe only possible for training in basic levels (1-3)?
  Training is constant, all the way to master levels. It may be as minor as tweaking techniques or raising the bar on dealing with difficulty. In the Medieval Guild system, there were expectations on what an apprentice was able to do; The same for those who did the same job at journeyman, master and grand master levels.

I know you can spend xp on those levels without training, but I'm working a scenario where the players (grizzled veterans, with various levels in training) are trying to drill a green company of recruit fresh out of boot.
  Spending xp is an assumption that some training is done individually:
"I'll spend XP, I can now speak German!" Really?

It's just that looking in army training and academic studies, it's very rare for teachers to actually sit with the same student one-on-one for more than a few hours a week top, and you usually  train/study multiple skills at the same training period.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2014, 00:50:41 »
Well, obviously I didn't mean to have two instructors yelling simultaneously at the same poor trainee... I meant being able to train in more than one skill I the same week.

As for pre recorded lectures, they have their advantages, but the fact that there's no interaction with the instructor for questions and clarifications should give some serious penalty.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2014, 03:25:28 »
Well, obviously I didn't mean to have two instructors yelling simultaneously at the same poor trainee... I meant being able to train in more than one skill I the same week.
  I have seen that done. In Army Basic, a recruit is taught multiple, divers skills in the same day. School children are taught multiple courses in the same day by different teachers.
As for pre recorded lectures, they have their advantages, but the fact that there's no interaction with the instructor for questions and clarifications should give some serious penalty.
  My favorite example would be my cousin, who likes to cook, and she watches the old Julia Child cooking shows, which are all very detailed classes in the preparation and techniques used in one or two specific meals. The full ten years of The French Chef are available on Amazon Prime Videos and I must say, from my memories of watching the shows in the 1960s, they are very well done and both my cousin and I have prepared the meals as taught so I can attest that a well composed course works, even without an instructor's presence. In contemporary terms, I would refer to Alton Brown, who takes cooking courses to the next step by explaining the science behind culinary arts. Alton Brown's Good Eats series is available on YouTube.

Bon Appétit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsyXL8zKTrM&feature=share&list=PLC7EC6DE03E91042D

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2014, 08:39:52 »
In a typical independently working military training system the staff:student ratio is roughly 1:10. This may look high but it is due need to keep administration, and various support functions (like maintenance, inspections and like) functioning.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2014, 10:28:16 »
I'm actually trying to make sense of how the RP ATOW skill works. How about totaling the xp and dividing it by number of students? Do I think we won't make any progress at all that way...

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2014, 17:23:01 »
In AToW training skill is used while travelling in which an instructor em parts things like Protocol Mercenary ; Negotiation ; Language X ; Protocol X etc . Most players do not have all the relevant skills just after creation to not appear green on some level to NP C's .  With the weeks sometimes months the charactors spend travelling going to a contract and between contracts or even during contracts is huge . Garrison Duty revolves around huge amounts of time sitting on your ass . You just need a PC or NPC with the training skill and a higher level skill rating in a skill they wish to teach than the students .

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2014, 17:08:44 »
In a typical independently working military training system the staff:student ratio is roughly 1:10. This may look high but it is due need to keep administration, and various support functions (like maintenance, inspections and like) functioning.

Maybe as a rule of thumb I should use this equation: (Trainer level - trainee level)2=approximate maximum number of trainees probably round it, for simplicity.
For example:
A drill sergeant with training level 3 tries to drill raw recruits to level 1 at small arms. With  mild supervision, he can train 10 at the same time.
A physics professor with training level 7 tries to teach physics 101.  he can teach a class of 50 student.
An elite sniper tries to help a veteran marksman to hone his edge. Requires one on one sessions.

I'd also limit video training to levels 0-3, which are still considered "amateur", and not levels 4+, which are considered "professional".