Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: CPLT-L7* Catapult II  (Read 4096 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: CPLT-L7* Catapult II
« on: 11 July 2014, 04:54:33 »
’Mech of the Week: CPLT-L7* Catapult II

Catapult II. Fairly new descendant of the venerable Catapult. The scorched coffin, as the colloquialism and pilot derision have struck. Highly efficient when used properly. Testbed for the latest technology. My first experiences with this design (or at least how it looks) was with the AoD Sadia Wolf piece.

Based on her dossier she was both fairly competent and clinically insane.

The Catapult II began as simply a new Catapult variant. Initially meant to both continue the long heritage of indirect fire support and as a test platform for the Tight-Stream Electro-Magnetic Pulse (TSEMP) Cannon, stress fractures on the prototypes forced Hollis to add five tons to the final design, which they claimed would add fifteen years to the life-span of the chassis. (Considering that some Catapults have been around since the first run in the 2600’s…)

The CPLT-L7 Catapult II finally entered service in 3135. Built around an endo-steel skeleton, the design uses four jump jets and a 280-rated GM extralight engine to maintain the same speed and mobility of its forebear the CPLT-C4 Catapult. Also like that design, it mounts two 20-rack LRM launchers. Two tons of ammunition are stored in each side torso. Twin TSEMP Cannons and a pair of extended-class medium lasers. Ten double-strength heat sinks are severely taxed by the heat output of the weaponry (and is one source of the “scorched coffin” moniker). Considering that the ammunition is not protected by CASE, too much heat can end very badly. Ten and a half tons of standard plate give the design 77% of maximum protection in a 9, 26/11, 20/8, 14, 19 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively).

The CPLT-L7L is more of a standard design, and premiered in 3136. The LRM racks were swapped for 9-rack MMLs and the TSEMP and mediums were replaced with two plasma rifles. Armor is the new heat-dissipating armor, which halves the amount of heat a successful hit from things like plasma rifles and flamers generates. Protection is laid out in a 9, 29/11, 21/8, 17, 22 pattern. This variant is not as heat-intense as the first model, but still is a bit hot-running.

Using one of these is a test of patience. You have long-range weaponry to pepper your foes at range, and closer-in weapons that can really ruin his day. The second variant can be quite useful in-close to ruin very heat-sensitive designs (or those that over-rely on TSM). As for the TSEMP version, the chance that you could turn your opponent’s ’Mech off cannot be ignored. I will note that the long recycle time means it would probably be best to only fire one a turn (your heat scale will thank you). Since you are using a mostly (if not completely) Capellan design, using your LRMs (or LRM ammo for the MML) to sow minefields is not out of the question.

Fighting one of these is a different test of patience, especially if he follows the previous suggestion (minefields suck). The first variant has two TSEMPs, which are PITAs if they hit you in the right range. And the second has plasma, the bane of many a machine’s existence. With their heat woes, bringing plasmas is not a bad idea. And even though the second variant has heat-dissipating armor, all that would mean for me is to hit him with more plasma rifles (for some reason the plasma rifle has become one of my go-to’s for replacing Particle Cannons, and sometimes LPLs). Heavy weapons are also nice for ripping big holes in him. Since I like the concept of targeting locations, either side torso works in this case. Both variants store two tons of ammunition in each side.

The Catapult II is an interesting design that continues the legacy of its predecessor. It has already begun to make marks on BattleTech history through its involvement in the conquest of the Capellan March of the Federated Suns. Time will tell if it can continue to do so.

This machine appeared in TRO 3145. Catapult II
« Last Edit: 14 July 2014, 20:28:06 by Kotetsu »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: ’Mech of the Week: CPLT-L7* Catapult II
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2014, 05:20:18 »
Now that's refreshing!
A design that is decidedly unoptimized to fit with it's history.
All the while still being usable.
Though instead of Heat-Resistant armour, coolant pods would probably have been the better choice overall. ;)
Rules wise, what do the 5 tons really buy the design?
« Last Edit: 11 July 2014, 05:22:19 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2014, 08:45:10 »
The -L7 is that rare addition to the list of canon mech designs that is both original and effective.  There are few multi-TSEMP designs (yet) and none (AFAIK) that pair the TSEMPs with a large LRM volley.  The combination is rather evil, as the -L7 can immobilize an opponent with its TSEMPs and then force a failed PSR and the resulting falling damage with the LRMs -- all from a fairly safe distance.  Whoever came up with the concept should be doing more TRO designs in the future.

The -L7L is less unique -- the Cappies already have several dual-plasma rifle variants (the Y-H11G, the JN-G7L, and some Snake variant, off the top of my head) in the canon.  A 3x or 4x plasma cannon design would be more original.  But the -L7L is a natural extension of and complement to the -L7.  A lance consisting of two -L7s and two -L7Ls would be a fun "dirty tricks" unit that would pose a serious threat to a wide range of opponents.  (Death by electrocution or fire or both, take your pick...)  A Cappie reinforced lance could throw in a couple Nisos WIGEs with their super-fast plasma canons and SRMs for extra measure.

Ten double-strength heat sinks are severely taxed by the heat output of the weaponry... I will note that the long recycle time means it would probably be best to only fire one [TSEMP] a turn (your heat scale will thank you).

The ten freezers are about right for the main guns for the reason stated.  You're either going to alternate TSEMPs so that one is always firing, which leaves ten heat points for the dual LRM-20s.  Or you're going to fire both TSEMPs if you have good to-hit roll, and then save the LRMs for the knockdown PSR the next turn.  Either way, you're looking at a small (+2) or no overheat.  At most, she could use another freezer, especially if a lot of movement is expected.

It's the -L7L that's really undersinked.  It would be good to fire both plasma cannons and all 18 MML tubes at once with minimal overheating.  But that would require too many freezers and there's probably not enough spare tonnage for even a radical heat sink so we have to look to a coolant pod or two for those well-timed alpha strikes.

Since you are using a mostly (if not completely) Capellan design, using your LRMs (or LRM ammo for the MML) to sow minefields is not out of the question.

Actually, Thunder LRMs aren't the best choice for these designs.  If the -L7 immobilizes an opponent with TSEMPs, then minefields are useless against that opponent.  And if the -L7L carries special ammo, it should probably be infernos to maximize heat spikes, even if a plasma cannon misses.

Some Thunders are probably okay.  They just shouldn't fill up the ammo bins given that standard ammo and infernos best complement the other weapons on these designs.

Considering that the ammunition is not protected by CASE

This is the one unpardonable sin on these designs.  With its XLE and ammo, the -L7 is begging for CASE II.  I'd drop the superfluous ER medium lasers to get it.

In terms of optimization, I'd also trade the -L7's jump jets for a targeting computer and additional armor or that extra freezer.  The -L7 is not a brawler or backbiter and given the to-hit roll penalty from firing TSEMPs, a targeting computer will get more use than jump jets.

Though instead of Heat-Resistant armour, coolant pods would probably have been the better choice overall. ;)

Agreed.  The benefits of heat-dissipating armor aren't worth the extra tonnage and crits.  A coolant pod both protects against incendiary weapons and allows the -L7L to safely alpha strike at a critical point in the battle.  I'd go back to standard armor and put the weight savings into CASE II and/or a coolant pod or two.

On a final note, the fluff on Stinger, an -L7 in the MAC, is amusing.

« Last Edit: 11 July 2014, 08:55:28 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2014, 09:36:54 »
what amazes me is that someone rebuilt a Catapult just to fit every single design choice i personally hate onto one 'mech.

i like the Catpult's design by nature. it's simple, effective, minimizes the size of a target it presents, and as an LRM 'mech it can position it's main fire battery without exposing the rest of it very much. but every single change made to the design is something that's driven me up the wall on another 'mech.

every single weapon is bolted outside of the armor, regardless of how simple it would be to nest them safely in the torso. there's huge, poorly placed slabs of armor that are blocking the mobility of a joint for no immediately obvious reason. those mystery pylons are back, and they still don't seem to serve any purpose (external heat sinks? bulky old-model capacitors? some kind of antenna?) besides giving people something to shoot off. the rear armor looks like it's just s loose panel mounted over the jump jets.

and now that i see them all in the same (re)design, i realize WHY. they all reek of unfinished work. this is work that's been rushed out the door instead of being throughly tested and refined. Battlemech designs have coming fast and furiously to the inner sphere for a long while now, and i guess the pressure to keep your catalog cutting-edge is wearing on the manufacturers. so we have this mess of awkward design work. i can see why they mean "add fifteen years to it's life" with the added tonnage, there's probably a lot they know can go wrong what with the regular beating military hardware has to take but they simply didn't have time to work all the problems out on whatever schedule they were given by the cappellans.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2014, 21:00:34 »
Thank you, NK. The Catapult was fun to design. I had a blast taking an existing mini and matching it. That is why you have the ERMLs. It is a fun challenge to come up with something that needs to have XY&Z and still be effective. The TSEMPs make this a very scary addition to a fire support lance. Do you really want to close with them and find yourself shutdown and far from support? Why have a dedicated bodyguard when you can use something like this. Couple this with a Crusader to long and short ranged missile work and you have your close support while still effective down range.

The MML version was all about parking the thing in a tinderbox and burning it down around it. I actually intended it to use infernoes along with the plasma rifles. I had stumbled across the one MWDA scenario with the forest fire and figured the heat disappating armor was the way to make that mission survivable. That and the Firebee writeup.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2014, 21:19:20 »
Thank you, NK. The Catapult was fun to design. I had a blast taking an existing mini and matching it. That is why you have the ERMLs. It is a fun challenge to come up with something that needs to have XY&Z and still be effective. The TSEMPs make this a very scary addition to a fire support lance. Do you really want to close with them and find yourself shutdown and far from support? Why have a dedicated bodyguard when you can use something like this. Couple this with a Crusader to long and short ranged missile work and you have your close support while still effective down range.

The MML version was all about parking the thing in a tinderbox and burning it down around it. I actually intended it to use infernoes along with the plasma rifles. I had stumbled across the one MWDA scenario with the forest fire and figured the heat disappating armor was the way to make that mission survivable. That and the Firebee writeup.

On that note, I think that confirms a suspicion I had that this was actually the result of the DA sculpt. (And I suspect a few of the other "II"s are as well.)

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2014, 12:51:02 »
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. We tried to make sure we had minis covered but it wasn't important if it was the featured version or not.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2014, 20:44:07 »
I think the L7L should have had ER Flamers instead of the Lasers.
Should keep the theme.  :P
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2014, 15:13:45 »
So...the L7 premiered in 3135, and the L7L in 3036? I smell a typo. :)

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2014, 20:28:40 »
So...the L7 premiered in 3135, and the L7L in 3036? I smell a typo. :)

Think my fingers are too used to typing in the 3000s... Good catch.