Author Topic: Interstellar Transactions  (Read 2059 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Interstellar Transactions
« on: 15 July 2014, 19:08:44 »
The main hiring halls in Battletech are on Galatea, and later Outreach. But if both systems are quite far, is there sort of a "gazeteer" available on local planets? Would one on the planet (for the sake of example) Kentares get a listing of Mechwarriors for hire on Outreach, exchange messages, and potentially hire said mechwarrior?

In general, does ComStar or any of the banks process interstellar transactions? How does it work to send funds from say Capella to Arkab?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Interstellar Transactions
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2014, 21:18:15 »
most interstellar transactions seem to be handled by comstar or courier as far as I can tell.

interstellar transactions would tend to take as much time as necessary for messages, or physical transfer needs.

example sending a purchase request to Galeta from tharkad might take 1-2 weeks to a month or so depending on HPG transfer rates IF your "credit" checks out fine and is accepted, if having to use a physical courier ... it could take months if you can't arrange for a "command circuit" for express transit, or if physical currency/goods needs to be exchanged

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2014, 11:56:18 »
Is there a thing that you know of that resembles a sort of periodical from Outreach or Galatea that reaches the minor planets in terms of mercenaries for hire?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2014, 13:39:03 »
Is there a thing that you know of that resembles a sort of periodical from Outreach or Galatea that reaches the minor planets in terms of mercenaries for hire?
like hot lists or the like?  sort of, in mercs handbook 3055 it mentions that there is an option to post your availability and dragoons rating and there is a database of full unit dossiers and briefs but there are fees to get that info, and I am not sure if it is transmitted (although I am sure it CAN be)

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2014, 13:57:25 »
Much of the time the raw payment is in escrow on the hiring hall world .  This gives both parties what they want . Even if your payroll is certain it does not mean that other contract terms are screwed around with . 

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2014, 20:47:49 »
like hot lists or the like?  sort of, in mercs handbook 3055 it mentions that there is an option to post your availability and dragoons rating and there is a database of full unit dossiers and briefs but there are fees to get that info, and I am not sure if it is transmitted (although I am sure it CAN be)
I assume that as part of it's internal cycle ComStar would keep a directory of registered mercenary units, their hiring status, and contact info.  Not much trouble to just push updates out with routine in-house HPG traffic.  Then interested parties would pay C* for access to the directory or a current copy.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2014, 01:58:04 »
I assume that as part of it's internal cycle ComStar would keep a directory of registered mercenary units, their hiring status, and contact info.  Not much trouble to just push updates out with routine in-house HPG traffic.  Then interested parties would pay C* for access to the directory or a current copy.

While the Mercenary Review Board was still around yes, but once the MRBC took over, then it became their task.  They probably provide to any interested parties for a nominal fee plus cost of transmitting the file through ComStar.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are different packets available, the more detailed the packet the higher the MRBC fee and, of course, the ComStar transmission fee.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2014, 14:28:03 »
Communications aren't fast enough for such a gazateer to be of real use. What seems to happen is that you hire a trusted agent to travel to whatever other system and conduct your business for you, or you head for the local hiring hall or popular R&R world.

Per the old RPGs, changing from one House's bills to another's can cost as much as 5% to 10% the total amount, and ComStar (or other parties) charges a similar amount for handling a merc's contract payment. I'm not finding anything specific to international bank transfers, though.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)