Author Topic: State of Battle Armor in the Inner Sphere: 3145  (Read 11602 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Re: State of Battle Armor in the Inner Sphere: 3145
« Reply #60 on: 28 July 2014, 19:44:24 »
Not battle armor torpedos. They're just an alternative ammo type rather than requiring a different launcher like on Mechs and vehicles.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 28 July 2014, 20:23:51 »
Not battle armor torpedos. They're just an alternative ammo type rather than requiring a different launcher like on Mechs and vehicles.

Thanks for clearing that up!  I guess its balancing thing. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #62 on: 28 July 2014, 20:36:53 »
Per this thread, it would indeed be 1024 suits for an AFFS BA regt.

Good golly.  Those FedSuns must be eating their Wheaties.  That's a lot of beefcakes.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 29 July 2014, 09:54:10 »
If at least 50% or so are Cavaliers, then that leaves plenty of room for the beefy suits. Can you imagine a company of Grenadiers greeting you?

"Welcome to Kathil. Courtesy of 100 inferno missles, we will inter your ashes here. Have a nice stay."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #64 on: 29 July 2014, 09:57:57 »
If at least 50% or so are Cavaliers, then that leaves plenty of room for the beefy suits. Can you imagine a company of Grenadiers greeting you?

"Welcome to Kathil. Courtesy of 100 inferno missles, we will inter your ashes here. Have a nice stay."

Seeing as how the dao instead of the broadsword flies over New Syrtis, color me less than impressed.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #65 on: 29 July 2014, 10:33:58 »
If at least 50% or so are Cavaliers, then that leaves plenty of room for the beefy suits.

I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that unless otherwise stated the use of Inner Sphere battle armor require operators of larger size.  The Kishi make specific mention of how it was built to get around that particular bottleneck, which was a problem for the DCMS.  I don't recall mention of the Cavalier being built for easy operation.

Can you imagine a company of Grenadiers greeting you?

Might be more intinidating for the Dracs than Cappies.  The CCAF would take note, rub chin and throw down rolling artillery.  Not that is seems to be helping to stop either military.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 10:35:45 by False Son »
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #66 on: 29 July 2014, 18:10:28 »
In AToW, there are minimum STR and BOD requirements for IS Battle Armour training. So yeah, generally you need to be on the big side to get in.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: 29 July 2014, 18:15:30 »
Seeing as how the dao instead of the broadsword flies over New Syrtis, color me less than impressed.

We'll see how long that last compared to how long the Suns flag was waving over say Laio?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #68 on: 29 July 2014, 18:35:52 »
Can you imagine a company of Grenadiers greeting you?

Oni BA says thankyou.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 29 July 2014, 20:17:53 »
If we ever see Oni on Kathil me thinks the World will have changed significantly.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #70 on: 29 July 2014, 20:36:02 »
If we ever see Oni on Kathil me thinks the World will have changed significantly.

Yeah, really.  I know the Dracs are doing well... but wow.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 30 July 2014, 10:41:04 »
Question: I thought, Torpedos were restricted to Torpedo Launchers (SRT & LRTs).
Nope, magical BA LRMs can work both under and over water. ;) ::)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #72 on: 30 July 2014, 20:24:07 »
I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that unless otherwise stated the use of Inner Sphere battle armor require operators of larger size.  The Kishi make specific mention of how it was built to get around that particular bottleneck, which was a problem for the DCMS. 

Maybe this is why teh Lyrans seem to like quad suits

In AToW, there are minimum STR and BOD requirements for IS Battle Armour training. So yeah, generally you need to be on the big side to get in.

So bodybuilders or football players?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 30 July 2014, 22:26:13 »
Actually, unlike earlier versions of the RPG, under ATOW rules, there aren't any stat minimums to use battle armor, or to learn how to operate one with adhoc training. The skill minimums only apply to the appropriate skill fields and life modules. See this confirmation.

That means that any character, even one with BOD 1, could spend 20 xp and pick up a basic understanding of battlesuit piloting. That same character couldn't take the Pilot (Exoskeleton) Field or Elemental Trueborn Sibko Module, as both training programs have minimum stat requirements.

I can't say that I agree with the change.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #74 on: 31 July 2014, 17:13:10 »
Bringing this back to State of Battle Armor in the Inner Sphere: 3145.

Who can list their factions BA in 3145? There seems to be a bit of general ignorance of what is available in 3145 and who has what. A bit of show me yours and I will show you mine will fix that.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 31 July 2014, 19:12:16 »
Well shoot, I'll bite.

In order of decreasing frequency to the best of my knowledge:

Cavalier (by an order of magnitude the most common)
Infiltrator Mk. II
Grenadier
Hauberk (probably very close to similar numbers with Grenadier?)
Infiltrator Mk I.  Sloth (Huntsman, Interdictor, etc)
Fusilier
PAB-28
Sea Fox

I'm sure there are some Grey Death and IS Standard suits in the AFFS, but I believe the above list forms the bulk of the AFFS BA forces. Lastly, I remember reading Clan Medium "Rabid" suits were also in use, but I would guess they would be very infrequent.

Cheers,

Mad

Edit: Confused Waddle with Sloth, woops!
« Last Edit: 01 August 2014, 09:54:46 by MarauderD »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 31 July 2014, 19:15:55 »
Due to some very helpful discussions with Sillybrit, I could also give a shot at the CCAF and DCMS. What I thought most important at the time was the question of what suits would form the bulk of the frontline forces fighting the AFFS.

We came up with the Kishi, Void, then Raiden for the most common DCMS suits in descending order.

For the CCAF, I believe we discussed the Amazon, Fa Shih, and IS Standard.

While these aren't complete lists by any means, they helped me with what BA squads I should practice playing as and against in MegaMek games.  :P

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 31 July 2014, 20:03:12 »
Speaking of which, for the DCMS, I forgot to mention the Oni: that'll be found in the lower grade units, such as garrisons or any regiment that receives the High Command's stink eye.

For the AFFS, also add the Tunnel Rat IV. Also, that list should read Sloth where you have Infiltrator Mk I. There may be some Waddles still left, but probably only in limited numbers in some spec ops units.

--

And to answer Jellico's question: Nighthawk... oh wait, 3145. Well, damn.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2014, 20:10:35 by sillybrit »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #78 on: 31 July 2014, 20:19:49 »
I do hope the TPTB will figure out a way to release the militized variant Exoskeletons like the Tunnel Rat IV in record sheet form.  Without the RS: VA Revised.... :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #79 on: 31 July 2014, 20:50:07 »
dosen't the MUL say what units are used by which faction?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 31 July 2014, 21:08:08 »
Some units on the MUL still have certain eras marked as to be announced.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 31 July 2014, 21:23:33 »
There's a reference to a Davion squad possessing salamander suits in the Calliope's write up. I guess a question to add is "What are the Sea Foxes selling"

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #82 on: 31 July 2014, 22:56:34 »
Speaking of which, for the DCMS, I forgot to mention the Oni: that'll be found in the lower grade units, such as garrisons or any regiment that receives the High Command's stink eye.

For the AFFS, also add the Tunnel Rat IV. Also, that list should read Sloth where you have Infiltrator Mk I. There may be some Waddles still left, but probably only in limited numbers in some spec ops units.

--

And to answer Jellico's question: Nighthawk... oh wait, 3145. Well, damn.

If you roll really low with the Lyran's 3145 RAT you can run a Nighthawk :D

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #83 on: 01 August 2014, 05:26:58 »
There's a reference to a Davion squad possessing salamander suits in the Calliope's write up. I guess a question to add is "What are the Sea Foxes selling"

Might be easier to ask "What aren't they selling" :-P

Still, if Salamanders are making it into IS regular armies, that would add weight to my suspicions that the Elemental must be available enough to make IS Standard (and by extension, the Cavalier) obsolete for regular House troops.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #84 on: 01 August 2014, 08:36:14 »
Might be easier to ask "What aren't they selling" :-P

No kidding.  Militia units in the former Free Worlds were using Gnomes during the Lyran invasion.

Still, if Salamanders are making it into IS regular armies, that would add weight to my suspicions that the Elemental must be available enough to make IS Standard (and by extension, the Cavalier) obsolete for regular House troops.

Maybe not in the Free Worlds.  They had plenty of IS Standard factories before the split, and demand for battle armor may have skyrocketed when independent militaries formed.  Then again, the arms trade among rival states was in some cases rampant.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Register