Author Topic: TRO 3039 purpose  (Read 32664 times)

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
TRO 3039 purpose
« on: 26 January 2011, 20:43:20 »
I just got TRO 3039 with the assumption that there'd be many of the non Phoenix units I'm familiar with from TROs 3025, 3026, with significantly differing fluff and a smattering of new prototypes that never made it to production or designs that debuted after 3025 but before 3050, like the Wolfhound . To me, the significantly differing fluff and the smattering of new prototypes were why I was buying 3039.

What I got seems to be a reprint of TRO 3025 and 3026 with notable pilot entries. And a Phoenix section at the end. And apparently no designs that debuted from 3027-3038, like the Wolfhound and the Daboku.

To me, this isn't the same as significantly differing fluff and a sprinkling of new prototypes.

Is there anything besides the notable pilot entries that isn't already mentioned in previous TROs? If not, 3039 feels like a complete waste of page space.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 20:46:38 by deathfrombeyond »
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Nibs

• Captain
Re: TRO 3039 purpose
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 21:03:44 »
I thought the Wolfhound and Daboku were in there? I'm confident that they're in my copy.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 21:06:55 »
I thought the Wolfhound and Daboku were in there? I'm confident that they're in my copy.

The index of units on Sarna indicates as much
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 21:10:24 »
I thought the whole reason for TRO:3039 was that Catalyst had run low on TRO:3025 and 3026 from the FASA/FanPro days and rather then reprint those two, merged them into 3039. As well as the 'mechs from TRO 2750.

Annnddddddd...
Starting on p. 223 is the "First in Centuries" section. WLF-1 is on p.226-227 and Daboku p.234-235
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 21:14:21 by greatsarcasmo »
Maker of big things.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 21:11:27 »
Yep. Raven, Wolfhound, Hatchetman, Cataphract, Hatamoto-Chi, Daboku, and Sai are all under the heading "First in Centuries...".

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 21:16:09 »
Also, the fluff and stats were extensively reviewed with many old mistakes corrected, such as the Zeus predating the Mackie.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 00:38:03 »
Honestly, TRO 3039 is the best product to give someone new to battletech.  So if you're going to start someone down the path, that's where you'd want to begin.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 02:44:00 »
Whoops.

I was expecting the Wolfhound, et al. to be listed continuously with the Succession Wars designs, not in their own section.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 04:06:21 »
And the fluff has been updated to 3039 so on mechs like the Valkyrie you get a slightly better look at the mid 30s to beginning of the clan invasion.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 14:44:26 by Crunch »
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 11:33:28 »
I love how comprehensive that book is. It's great for modern day Periphery gaming with all of the vehicles and older mechs, for earlier era play you have almost all of the units in one book, including the Unseen!
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2011, 16:29:33 »
The art is mismatched, though, which I find kind of jarring.

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 17:12:05 »
The art is mismatched, though, which I find kind of jarring.

I hadn't noticed. What was mismatched?

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 17:30:24 »
The blocky art stile of the original 3025 mechs and tanks with the more fluid style of the others.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 17:43:51 »
The blocky art stile of the original 3025 mechs and tanks with the more fluid style of the others.

That, and everything in that book seemed to be redrawn except for the 3025 'Mechs and tanks.

Why did the Hatchetman line art magically change from TRO 3025 to 3039, when the Clint and the Javelin didn't?

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 23:36:59 »
Am I alone in being a bigger fan of the older "block-style" artwork? I don't like the smooth and flowing newer style designs. I guess I like my stompy to be rough and boxy. Hmmm.
Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 23:39:20 »

You know you're right... I actually kind of like the blocky art but that's probably just nostalgia.

I kind of like the idea that lostech mechs were curvy 50s style, low-tech were blocky and high tech was angular.
Doesn't look like that's been consistent across products though.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2011, 17:09:46 »
Am I alone in being a bigger fan of the older "block-style" artwork? I don't like the smooth and flowing newer style designs. I guess I like my stompy to be rough and boxy. Hmmm.

For the most part I agree.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2011, 07:48:14 »
I think the TRO 3039 is one of the best TROs done.  The only thing I wish was they would have put in the Merlin and the Chameleon mechs. I know why they didn't but sense the whole book is a reprint in some ways anyway those two mechs I think would have rounded out the book nicely.

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2011, 11:43:02 »

I agree, being a child in the 80s I think made me a fan of that 'industrial' feel.

These are Kick-^&& cold war machines, not iPods!

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2011, 13:17:15 »
TRO 3039 isn't really necessary if you have been in the game since the 80's, early 90s and own 3025, 3026.

In fact, I was initially ticked that Catalyst wasted their time on 3039 when all new material could be produced instead.  However I was wrong.

I never pull out the other TROs any more.  3039 is my go to TRO.  It is nice having all the information together in one place.  Plus it was the right thing to do for new players coming into the game.  It makes a great starting point.

The only real new information to be gleaned from this TRO for older players are the Aerospace Fighter variants and upgrades.  If you don't use Aero units and you all ready have the other books, there isn't much need to bother with it.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2011, 22:10:08 »

I like both styles but I am definitely more a fan of the blocky style over the almost smooth Anime look of some of the newer designs. Of course, I grew up with watching 80's Transformers, GI Joe and *ahem* Robotech (before I knew about Battletech) so I will always like that style of design.
Made by HikageMaru

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2011, 14:35:11 »

It is nice having all the information together in one place.  Plus it was the right thing to do for new players coming into the game.  It makes a great starting point.

bought a copy for my nephew, and he loves it.  It's a great supplement to the basic game.  And I do find when I need a fact on older Mechs, that's the PDF I open first- AND I don't have to put more wear and tear on my vintage books.  Soooo, I'm a fan, though intially, like others, I was "??"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2011, 15:36:15 »

Nah, I like most of the older art from 3025 better than a lot of the newer art in 3039.  (There might be an exception here or there).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2011, 16:02:56 »
I find it amusing that old hands are getting pissed about TRO3039 when TPTB specifically told us that it wasn't aimed at us but rather the new gamers.

-Jackmc

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2011, 16:23:07 »
I find it amusing that old hands are getting pissed about TRO3039 when TPTB specifically told us that it wasn't aimed at us but rather the new gamers.

-Jackmc

Don't get me wrong, I love TRO 3039.  I never had TRO 26 or the original 25 with the Unseen Mechs.  I don't like some of the art as much, but it is definitely one of my favorite TROs.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2011, 17:07:57 »
bought a copy for my nephew, and he loves it. 

No other justification needed.  [notworthy]

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2011, 19:09:50 »
Don't get me wrong, I love TRO 3039.  I never had TRO 26 or the original 25 with the Unseen Mechs.  I don't like some of the art as much, but it is definitely one of my favorite TROs.

I just printed out minimized versions of the unseen art, cut them into small squares and taped them over the reseen pictures.  Works really well.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2011, 10:45:26 »
Is there anything besides the notable pilot entries that isn't already mentioned in previous TROs?

All of the text for TRO 3039 is new. Some of the information may carry over, but it was entirely new writing.

And there are a few upgrades to Star League tech sprinkled in it.  ;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2011, 13:04:39 »
I like both styles but I am definitely more a fan of the blocky style over the almost smooth Anime look of some of the newer designs. Of course, I grew up with watching 80's Transformers, GI Joe and *ahem* Robotech (before I knew about Battletech) so I will always like that style of design.

I've heard this before and don't get it.  GI Joe, Transformers and Robotech were all ripped from Japanese designs.  They are anime (at least the vehicle/robot designs/art)..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2011, 13:27:21 »
I've heard this before and don't get it.  GI Joe, Transformers and Robotech were all ripped from Japanese designs.  They are anime (at least the vehicle/robot designs/art)..

You are correct. I should have said "modern" anime which is usually alot more curvy, thin and somewhat less "tank-like" then their older 70's/80's versions and models.
Made by HikageMaru

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2011, 13:27:34 »

No, G.I. Joe is American. It was created by Mattel (IIRC) as a way to sell dolls to boys, then went from 12" to 3 3/4" figures as a way to sell more.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2011, 14:42:58 »
Actually the joes shrunk because of the oil crisis in the 70's.

-Jackmc

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2011, 15:33:26 »
The ONLY time I get scared is when I see blocky Mechwarrior 4 designs in BattleTech... yeah, Osiris, Deimos, Uziel.... ack.  I have no idea why BattleTech has to adapt to that crappy game (or it seems that way to me).

I wish designs would follow the 3039/3050/3058 look.  Give or take from 3060 and 3067.  They are still blocky but they look strangely sleek.  The rest just kind of fall off the deep end.

BUT, 3039 has a purpose on its own, and that is to supplement the box set with new designs and such.  It does that nicely.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2011, 15:44:14 »
No, G.I. Joe is American. It was created by Mattel (IIRC) as a way to sell dolls to boys, then went from 12" to 3 3/4" figures as a way to sell more.

Right, I was slightly confused.  The story/characters is American, it was just the technology for the 1980s action figures that was from Japan.  My mistake.
But GI Joe doesn't say much about what battlemech art you like.    Robotech (and Transformers is definetely anime.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2011, 15:52:54 »
Right, I was slightly confused.  The story/characters is American, it was just the technology for the 1980s action figures that was from Japan.  My mistake.
But GI Joe doesn't say much about what battlemech art you like.    Robotech (and Transformers is definetely anime.

Very true. Negating one example certainly doesn't invalidate the point, and I agree. Myself, I like all the different styles, even if I dislike some specifics. I actually like that TR3039 has a mix of styles, and the same with TRs 3075 and 3085.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2011, 20:04:28 »
I actually much prefer Evans' illustrations of old Mechs from TRO 3050U over the old Loose' stuff which always looked to me more like preliminary sketches than finished artwork.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 February 2011, 22:55:39 »
I actually much prefer Evans' illustrations of old Mechs from TRO 3050U over the old Loose' stuff which always looked to me more like preliminary sketches than finished artwork.

Yeah, I do as well. There is just something about the artwork that I like...

Made by HikageMaru

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2011, 00:33:02 »

I really liked the "sketch from life" Loose look that looked like engineering sketches as opposed to the newer stuff which looks cartoony. Of course non gustibus disputadat.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2011, 00:49:33 »

Loose was trying to look more like "technical drawings." Infact, I consider the reason for the old art used on the extremely old designs from an in-character perspective to be that those were technical drawings, which really did not need to have refreshers,
since those designs really had NOT changed much in centuries, while the First In Centuries designs did, in fact, have subtle changes
in their first few decades(look at the head on the Wolfhound, for example). The First in Centuries section, much like the TROs
3060+, is more battlefield footage.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2011, 18:12:11 »
I thought that the original artwork was 'sketchy' because the minis weren't made yet, and all the details still weren't finished. Could be wrong. .

As for the Wolfhound's head, why on Terra did they changed it? The older version was way better  [tickedoff]

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 20 February 2011, 20:34:47 »
As for the Wolfhound's head, why on Terra did they changed it? The older version was way better  [tickedoff]

Likely to make it match the original cover of one of the Blood of Kerensky novels

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2011, 22:34:16 »

copy that, i am too.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 21 February 2011, 03:56:09 »
Likely to make it match the original cover of one of the Blood of Kerensky novels

IMNSHO, the novel covers should be considered last regarding anything.

I mean, the stuff I've seen there...

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2011, 04:47:58 »
IMNSHO, the novel covers should be considered last regarding anything.

I mean, the stuff I've seen there...

At least they didn't give the wolfhound the "slinky arm"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 21 February 2011, 08:52:43 »
At least they didn't give the wolfhound the "slinky arm"

Or a red thong.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.