Author Topic: Second painted battlemech! :) 21st Centauri Lancers Caesar  (Read 1612 times)

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
First a little history about this battlemech. It was one of my first battlemechs I ever owned given to me, but I never knew till later on it was a battlemech for the game battletech. It came missing the left arm torn off, the Gauss Rifle torn off, and the right arm broken off. I fixed the right arm numerous times and then eventually losing it.

Luckily CGL's customer service was able to help me locate the missing parts along with a new head for my No-Diachi which is another story.

Since I am well into painting purple with FWL battlemechs I found the 21st Centauri Lancers had a nice even dark blue color scheme and a great history so I was sold.

Enter the Caesar

I used my wet pallete for this mech to help water down the paints a bit more and I believe it make a better difference in transitions. This time around I used dark tone instead of strong tone against the blue prime color. I then applied the laerning shading technique against seperate sections of the mech being Center torso, Shoulders, Arms, Legs. Be honest I think the Shoulder could have been part of the Center torso as a whole and maybe even treating the whole mech as one section, but having multiple sections helps me apply technique. This time I tried to get a point where two colors blended and I think I got it nicely between the dark blue and light blue transition, the dark shaded blue and dark blus transition is still seperate, but it makes a neat looks as the lower chest, hands, and feet are matched.

Here are some close up pictures for better review.

I think a little brown wash might dull down a bit more of the shiny on the metal parts. Worth it?

This picture helps show my learning process with shading. I want to make sure I am grasping the idea correctly so please advice me if I am getting there correctly.

The back I left as the shaded blue for some reason.

One thing I was unsure of was the top circles. I figured they might be vents or even heat sinks, but being I painted some side vents near them and the mech only has one heat sink in the left torso critical I left them as is. One idea and I wonder if I could pull it off and if I could would it ruin the feel. The mech is walking in the street, not picture those circles as sirens and you got a police mech. This makes me want a watchman and if it would fit the mercenary life, bonus.

I tried highlighting the shoulders and hips and failed so I painted over the highlights. I think highlights for me work on hard straight edges and curves area messes me up. Plus the whole shading thing  am unsure where to add them correctly.

The base was done with a a yellow colored pencil set with alcohol and the dark color is a pavement base obtained from model railroad hobby supplies. This si the figure I was wondering about scale to add someone or a vehicle fleeing under the legs.

The cockpit is still in the hmm... stage and for some reason I want to make it gloss black like futuristic vehicles have the sleek and sexy feel to them. I could also let the mob decide its more fun that way. :)

Well anyway, shall we take to the streets like Judge Dredd or plow through traffic to take the city as the contract demands?
« Last Edit: 25 July 2014, 09:09:22 by hive_angel »
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

TheMaster1955

• Captain
Re: Second painted battlemech! :) 21st Centauri Lancers Caesar
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2014, 10:39:03 »
well done  O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2014, 10:49:57 »
The pictures are a little dark so it's tricky making out some of the details, but what I can see looks pretty good!

(I know from experience that mini photography is a whole other set of challenges to master, aside from painting!)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 07:27:19 »
 O0

Sailor_Jerry

• Recruit
    • My painting journal (its like watching paint dry)
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2014, 13:29:39 »
Nicely done. I like the cockpit and basing.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2014, 14:43:20 »
Sweet! O0

Register