Author Topic: Battle of Tukayyid: Steel Viper theater, unit composition  (Read 1511 times)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
First of all, to FASA, WK, Catalyst, et.al, and as always, thank you guys for your contribution of work (I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that!)

First question: Steel Viper Alpha Galaxy, 1st Viper Guard
In finally sitting down to knock out Tukayyid for the first time ever, I found numerous descriptors for the Steel Viper Alpha Galaxy composition.  In the Scenario pack itself (pg80), it lists the 1st Viper guards with mis-matched titles by 1 rank, however, continues to describe Star Captain Illusha Kearny as the CO for A1V Com Head, and having been in charge of "50 units" (as if the full Cluster).
Her rank should have held her as a Star Colonel, and her subordinates as S.Caps, etc.
The Scenario continues to list the 1st Viper Guards as having lost a full Krait Trinary (and more), other reports of having lost less than 20% would indicate this was not the case...

The alternate composition taken from the Invading Clans sourcebook (and as referenced in other materials), would seat Alpha Galaxy CMDR Chrisopher Ahmed in charge of A Com Cluster, and Star Col. Elias Andrews at A1V Com Head.

Next, as only a few Alpha-Galaxy Clusters were represented in the Tukayyid Scenario sourcebook, does the addition of the 250th Assault Cluster (Bloodright Scenario, pg10 & Warden Clans pg146) & the second "1st Viper Guards" increased Alpha Galaxy's presence to 5 Clusters (1VG, 4VG, 400th, 250th, 1VG-2)?

Second question: The Battle Cobra.  This had been described as (Invading Clans, pg96) "During the initial thrust at Devil's Bath, the 205th Battle Cobras played a key role in skirting the flanks of the Vipers' Com Guard opponents".  This creates a new Cluster, present at the initial thrust of Devil's Bath, generally held by Alpha Galaxy - though - being a "Striker Cluster", should have placed it with Gamma Galaxy - though - it was the 57th Striker Cluster that flanked the Com Guards' 6th Division of that engagement... Further, the Battle Cobra description continues to state "At the end of the battle, most of the Battle Cobras were still operational, as a solid testimony to their design."  Bloodright Sourcebook pg6, lists a single Battle Cobra as having been retrieved by ComStar.
Contrary to this last point, TRO:3058 pg162 lists by: "Obtaining a large number of mostly operational Battle Cobras in the aftermath of brutal conflict in the Devil's Bath during the Battle of Tukayyid, ComStar selected the Battle Cobra as the focus of their efforts to reverse-engineer and develop their own OmniMech" -drawn from Sarna, as I don't have a 3058TRO...

Third question: Approximate, total force-size present at Tukayyid.
Question of accuracy:

Alpha Galaxy:
1st Viper Guards
4th Viper Guards
250th Assault Cluster (Field Manual, Warden Clans, pg146, and others
400th Assault Cluster
1st Viper Guards (RearGuards?)

Gamma Galaxy:
428th Assault Cluster
57th Striker Cluster
205th "Viper Striker Cluster" (Invading Clans, pg96)
94th Battle Cluster
423rd Assault Cluster

Zeta Galaxy:
1st Fang
2nd Fang
38th Phalanx
71st Phalanx

Approximate totals: (not including the Triasch Keshik, which may or may not have participated).
136 'Mech Stars (~680 'Mechs) @ "20% destroyed" = 136 'Mechs destroyed/missing; ~90 through Devil's Bath
Aerospace Stars (165 ASF - CSV delegate 1 fighter per point)
29 Elemental Stars (725 Elemental units)
26 Conventional Infantry Stars (130 Infantry Platoons)
1-3 Vehicle Star(s) (qty of 5-15 J-27 Ordinance Transports)

** Note - I know this was all long ago, and by different authors, so I'm not after inconsistencies but rather possible accuracy for replaying the Steel Viper theater on Tukayyid.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battle of Tukayyid: Steel Viper theater, unit composition
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2014, 16:03:28 »
Battle Cobra: Bloodright p62 lists Comstar access to the Battle Cobra as "rumors."  TR3058U p166 then says "Comstar extracted a number".  I don't see anything that says a "large number" and nothing about whether they were operational or not.

Non-canon: I believe the intent was that Comstar used what models it did acquire to take apart and reverse engineer, so whether or not they were operational before then doesn't really matter.  One might have gone to the 472nd Division (Invader Galaxy), but not a large number of operational Battle Cobras in Comstar use.  Thus the rumors of one, mixed with rumors that Comstar was working on a new model.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Battle of Tukayyid: Steel Viper theater, unit composition
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2014, 16:18:40 »
Thank you, NCKestrel -

To expand upon my previous questions, largely centering around the fighting which took place in Devil's Bath -

I haven't found any sources that indicate the units which had sunk into the mud, were ever recovered... which, may allow for their retrieval at a soon-after date?  Because ComStar had a future plan to utilize Tukayyid as their center of operations, following the ComGuards' salvage operation, the world would have been left mostly deserted until early 3053 when the fortification & construction occurred...
It could be conceivable, that those units described in Tukayyid pg81 (Diashi, 2 Gladiators, Masakari, a Thor, Vulture, and other "whole stars") may be of some value - provided those details could be known, and a Unit would be able to retrieve them without ComStar's knowledge.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.