Author Topic: A walking Destrier  (Read 1126 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
A walking Destrier
« on: 24 August 2014, 18:14:24 »
I love the Destrier, I really do. It is rolling murder protected by ridiculously thick slabs of armor. I've also put a lot of thought how to stop one, which isn't as easy as it sounds at first, but there is an obvious weakness, it's a vehicle, and thus vunerable to motive hits. A canny defender should thus (on the strategic level) endeavor to immobilize it before it even reaches its objective.

Of course thinking on the subject, the obvious question is can we make a Destrier that doesn't have that vunerabilty? The first option, an armored motive system, is ridiculously heavy and will take away from all the murder. So how about a more elegant solution? Let's just make that sucker walk!

Making a battlemech Destrier is not as easy as it sounds. The tonnage is there, but the space isn't to duplicate the weapon load while simulating the heat neutrality of a vehicle. So I had to try something different. I discarded the AMS because of space concerns, and the machineguns as well for the same reason. Knowing I still had a lot of tonnage to eat up, I also... updated the twin ER medium lasers to something a... bit more impressive. That made up for the loss of the machineguns quite nicely by the way.

The result has its weaknesses. You have to pick and choose exactly which way you want to murder your target because of heat issues. Also there's no way for a superheavy mech to pull a trailer full of additional murder. But it'll do the job.

Type: Tripod Superheavy Battlemech
Mass: 200 tons
Engine: 400 XL 26.5
Internal Structure: Endo Steel 22 tons 7 criticals (3 CT, 2 RA/LA)
Cockpit: 5 tons
Gyro: 8 tons
Heat Sinks: 24 (48) 12 tons (2 RT/LT, 1 RL/LL/CL/CT)
Armor: 680 standard 42.5 tons
H: 12
CT: 100/20
RT/LT: 67/16
RA/LA: 65
RL/LL/CL: 84

Weapons and Equipment:
2 Longtom Cannons 40 tons (RA/LA)
4 Plasma Rifles 24 tons (2 CT, 1 RT/LT)
8 tons Plasma Cannon ammunition (4 RT/LT)
8 tons Longtom Cannon ammunition (4 RT/LT)
CASE II 2 tons (RT/LT)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
Re: A walking Destrier
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2014, 09:29:48 »
Fairly impressive, although the lack of long-range weaponry is somewhat disturbing.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2014, 21:51:19 »
Longtom Cannons aren't long range?  :o

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2014, 21:59:33 »

Not when you're making annihilator speed and facing some ****** packhunter who won't leave you alone.  :P Much like the Destrier, it's all about the support units, even more so actually because this Walking Destrier can't pull a trailer full of artillery.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2014, 04:32:29 »

Sorry, my brain is adjusted to think in Clan weaponry range brackets. ;)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2014, 06:47:29 »
Hmm... The LT guns are the main weapons, any secondaries should be there just to make people stay away. I suggest downgrading the PRs to a battery of MLs (ER and/or XPulse) with the saved tonnage going towards Hardened armor (Yay for taking an iHGR round to the face with armor left!), armored vital components (cockpit, gyro, hips), and some kind of ersatz artillery (ERLRMs?) since a full-on Arrow IV is probably impossible to fit.