Author Topic: Need clarifications with the Rank trait  (Read 2657 times)

Onirim

• Corporal
Need clarifications with the Rank trait
« on: 27 August 2014, 09:12:26 »
Hi people,

I need a clarification with the Rank trait of the book.
I don't quite understand why we have a column with Ex/Ox, and what is represent.

For example, if y want a character non-officer to be a MechWarrior, I need to take 5 TP for rank Enlisted E5.
But if my character have the officer field, he paid just Rank 3 TP ? But he's E3 on the table ? It's under the E5, no ?
If my character is an officer who want to be Lance Leader, he pay 1 TP because it's O1 ? or 4 TP because it's on this line in the table ?

Lance Leader is in the same line of Squad Second.. it's the same "value" of rank on the field ?

I'm very confused :/
Mechwarrior from France

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Need clarifications with the Rank trait
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2014, 10:28:34 »
Hi people,

I need a clarification with the Rank trait of the book.
I don't quite understand why we have a column with Ex/Ox, and what is represent.

For example, if y want a character non-officer to be a MechWarrior, I need to take 5 TP for rank Enlisted E5.
But if my character have the officer field, he paid just Rank 3 TP ? But he's E3 on the table ? It's under the E5, no ?
If my character is an officer who want to be Lance Leader, he pay 1 TP because it's O1 ? or 4 TP because it's on this line in the table ?

Lance Leader is in the same line of Squad Second.. it's the same "value" of rank on the field ?

I'm very confused :/

ranks are kind of strange because of how the military works.

the thing you have to realize is technically E ranks aka enlisted are always NON command ranks, what this means is the E10  ( "real army equivalent  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_rank_insignia  ) with 30+ years of service could be given an order by an second lieutenant ( http://www.army.mil/symbols/armyranks.html ) nickname "butter bar" who just got commissioned but because he is an OFFICER he is in charge. 

now the other reality is that senior sergeant with the huge amounts of experience can and SHOULD make suggestions, but once the officer makes the "call" that's whats going to happen according to orders, and its the segeant's job to accomplish it if possible within the context of the issued orders.

I might not have it exactly right but that is my understanding.

Hope it helps

Onirim

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2014, 06:36:33 »
Thanks, this help me a lot, but I don't quite understand how the rules handle them.
A Lance Leader E4/O1 who possess the officer field must pay 4 TP or just 1 TP ?
Mechwarrior from France

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2014, 06:43:14 »
You can only be an officer rank if you take the Officer Candidate School module.

Onirim

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2014, 06:44:33 »
Yes, indeed, but I don't know how many TP it cost me for a E4/O1 if I have the correct officer field ^^
4 or 1 ?
Mechwarrior from France

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2014, 06:50:39 »
Yes, indeed, but I don't know how many TP it cost me for a E4/O1 if I have the correct officer field ^^
4 or 1 ?

If you look at the table on page 124 of the AToW core rule book you will see that they both cost 4 TP thus 400 xp. Now by going through the OCS module path you'll be closer to that then if you don't thus allowing you to attain the 4 TP without spending as much remaining xp az if you were just enlisted.

Onirim

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2014, 06:53:17 »
Thank you all for your comments and answers :)
It's ok for me ^^
Mechwarrior from France

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2014, 06:55:59 »
If you look at the table on page 124 of the AToW core rule book you will see that they both cost 4 TP thus 400 xp. Now by going through the OCS module path you'll be closer to that then if you don't thus allowing you to attain the 4 TP without spending as much remaining xp az if you were just enlisted.

Looking at the table, to be an enlisted mechwarrior you need to have your rank trait at 5 TP. As an officer you can be a lance leader for 4 TP. As enlisted you cannot be a lance leader without an in game promotion through role-playing or if the GM decides to give it to you for some reason they have for their tale.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2014, 06:57:39 »
Thank you all for your comments and answers :)
It's ok for me ^^

You're very welcome, I've had enough time to extrapolate this information that it's second nature to me.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2014, 06:47:25 »
  I didn't find any correlation between rank and the position of lance leader. A lance leader doesn't have to be an officer, and is most often the ranking person, even a corporal over privates, although Mechwarriors, just due to their time in service, should be non-commissioned officers. Any position of leadership would go to at least a trained NCO while medium to upper command, such as over a company, would go to an officer.

DelevanGuardsCO

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2014, 14:18:51 »
Pretty much every book discussing how Battlemech units are organized says lances are commanded by Lieutenants. 
"Away to Nahoni, to marsh and to mud
  before I yield to the Regents I'll shed my life's blood"

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2014, 20:35:36 »
  I didn't find any correlation between rank and the position of lance leader. A lance leader doesn't have to be an officer, and is most often the ranking person, even a corporal over privates, although Mechwarriors, just due to their time in service, should be non-commissioned officers. Any position of leadership would go to at least a trained NCO while medium to upper command, such as over a company, would go to an officer.

Well in most organized militaries, most MechWarriors are graduates of either a training program or military academy.  In the former, upon graduation they are frequently granted promotions to sergeant (or an equivalent rank) while most academy graduates are promoted to lieutenant (or an equivalent rank).  As a result even the most junior MechWarrior has a senior enlisted rank and to keep a proper chain of command, it frequently requires the lance leader to be an officer although a sergeant could be temporarily placed in charge of a lance until he or she completes OCS training or a replacement officer arrives.  This frequently makes veteran MechWarriors nervous when their new lance leader is fresh from the academy with no field experience.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.