Author Topic: (Answered) Explosive weapons on vehicles  (Read 2744 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Explosive weapons on vehicles
« on: 05 April 2011, 15:21:32 »
Clarification, please:

-- If an explosive weapon mounted on a vehicle suffers a critical hit, it (naturally) explodes and is treated as an ammo explosion in that location (Total Warfare p. 195).
-- If a vehicle suffers an ammo explosion, it loses all its ammunition (Total Warfare p. 194).

So, am I correct in assuming that if a vehicle-mounted explosive weapon takes a critical hit as above, it touches off or otherwise destroys all proper ammunition carried by that vehicle (but not other explosive weapons, since those are not themselves ammunition, and presumably not one-shot weapons either) as well? It might kind of matter to units carrying both... :)
« Last Edit: 22 December 2012, 03:29:19 by Xotl »

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: Explosive weapons on vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2011, 14:24:00 »
"Different", hm. Just how different are we talking here? If I'm to disregard the description of that Ammunition critical hit altogether, I necessarily end up with the conclusion that the "CASE redirects explosive damage to the rear armor" part of it doesn't apply to the detonation of explosive weapons either -- and that doesn't seem to be listed as its own rule anywhere else...

So, let's posit a tank carrying both a Gauss rifle and some machine guns and equipped with CASE. The Gauss rifle suffers a critical hit. What happens?

Scenario A: The Gauss rifle's explosive discharge touches off the MG ammo as well, and CASE redirects the entire, probably massive lump of damage rearwards; well, this one we seem to have just ruled out.

Scenario B: The Gauss rifle detonation ignores CASE altogether (because it's not the Ammunition critical hit as such) and, since few combat vehicles have enough internal structure anywhere to survive 20 damage, destroys the tank.

Scenario C: The damage from the Gauss rifle detonation is vented rearwards by CASE. Both the MG ammunition and any shots left for the Gauss rifle itself survive untouched.

There might be a scenario D or E that I haven't considered, but I think the three above cover the main conceivable outcomes. Right now I think the intent is C...

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2011, 15:41:51 »
That's what you should have asked in the first place. We'll look into it.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2011, 16:20:04 »
Well, the question was originally unrelated to CASE. There are explosive weapons out there -- such as the AP Gauss rifle -- whose detonation even an unprotected vehicle might conceivably survive as long as it doesn't set off anything else, after all.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2012, 03:29:08 »
First post:
Only if the explosive weapon exists in a location that has ammo in it.  Other weapons in that location would not explode, though the damage from the already-exploding weapon might provoke additional critical damage.

One-Shot weapons do not explode from critical damage.

Second post:
CASE directs the damage of exploding weapons to the rear armour as per normal vehicle ammo explosion rules.
(Obviously, those rules presume only regular ammo, mounted in the Body)
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register