Author Topic: Are a Cluster's assigned dropships commanded by a Commodore?  (Read 4737 times)

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Re: Are a Cluster's assigned dropships commanded by a Commodore?
« Reply #30 on: 20 September 2014, 02:15:21 »
Star colonel or commodore as rank I'd think would depend on the clan(hey,we're all different)

Speeking of which,,,,what type of cluster we talking?Ground forces?Well yes  a Star Colonel would command the entire force(per se') where this was a "Naval" type of cluster,ASF and a star of Dropship CV's then I'd expect a Star Commodore to run the show(as it where)

As to safcon,if you aint gonna have it granted you might well throw out the trial and come in guns'ah'blazing saying "their all Dazgra,these(insert clan name here)".Because whats the point if you cant land or take-off after a win/loss.The Vipers invasion of Lum/WoR jumps out at me there.
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2014, 05:52:40 »
For sake of discussion we're talking about a typical Clan Cluster. So mostly mechs/BA in the form of 3-4 Trinaries, a Trinary of ASFs. Thinking in terms of a typical complement of dropships that might be assigned to such a Cluster, and whether or not a Star Commodore or senior Star Captain (dropship captain) would be given authority over all of them.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #32 on: 21 September 2014, 06:27:09 »
For sake of discussion we're talking about a typical Clan Cluster. So mostly mechs/BA in the form of 3-4 Trinaries, a Trinary of ASFs. Thinking in terms of a typical complement of dropships that might be assigned to such a Cluster, and whether or not a Star Commodore or senior Star Captain (dropship captain) would be given authority over all of them.

I understand that.....but thanks for pointing it out.  ;D

Any star of DS's would be under their command,but really how many Star Commodores are in any givin' Clan?If any?More of a Star Captian(Sr grade) as so there is no conflict with the ground forces commander.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 21 September 2014, 09:13:34 »
I'm not as worried about conflicts with seniority. I think the Clans' very stratified system makes that perfectly clear. Even if you had a Star Colonel and a Star Commodore as part of the same Cluster and its support and transportation assets, the Star Colonel has operational command in every meaningful way, and the Star Commodore just makes sure that the droppers are getting refueled, flight plans, and so on. The Star Colonel, lets say a mechwarrior, is likely to say something like "I want to land our force within X kilometers of this nav point, find a way to make that happen and then give me a timetable for execution". The Star Commodore salutes and goes off to select the landing zone, plan alternatives, and coordinate all of this with the various ship captains, and handle their practical concerns and questions that a mechwarrior might not know the first thing about.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #34 on: 22 September 2014, 06:35:24 »
Me thinks your awnsering your own question,but to point out other relevant points.I'd think that would depend on the clan(insert name) and their rank,if Star Commodore is even there(probably is).The makeup of the parent Galaxy(TO&E) and having the Droper's to even assign' them(for this sake,we'll say they do).Because of the way the clans operate it wouldn't supprise me if said star Commodore had a bloodname,a decent codex and a Ristar(just a ex-sample here).He may even turn to the Star Col' and say "Then I suggest you strap yourself into your Mech' Star Colonel.Things are going to get hot before I can get you to your LZ.".Clan warriors tend to be egotisticall  ;D

Now,even with the Star Col' in overall command of said ground cluster,the Star Commodore would still have the right to challenge,or change any orders that would put his ships in harms way and stopping him from completing his mission/orders,which I'm guessing would have come directly from a Galaxy commander,Star admiral or one of the Khan's themselves.Assets are limited in the clans as well as support units,so that would have been considered to.Hate to get your unit whipped out and have to face the Khan's,not to many second chances in the clans(if they even survived).

But hey,it's your table man,so do what ya wish.

Register