Author Topic: Sell me on some new 'Mechs.  (Read 7410 times)

Reldn

• Lieutenant
Sell me on some new 'Mechs.
« on: 20 September 2014, 10:50:32 »
Greetings all. I've found myself back into MWO and for once feeling like I'm actually getting better. Now currently I have a 'Mech for each weight class I'm mastering: Firestarters, Hunchbacks, Orions, and Banshees. The Firestarters and Hunchbacks are close to being fully mastered (hopefully this 2xp weekend will help me completely master all six). So far, I only have one Orion and one Banshee that I've almost got all the basic skills for, and I know that the next Heavies and Assaults I'm going for will be Cataphracts and either Stalkers or Awesomes.

However, I'm looking into another set of Lights and Mediums to purchase. I just don't know which ones, I'm possibly leaning towards Griffins, Cicadas, or Shadowhawks for Mediums. Lights however? I have no clue. If anyone has any suggestions and tips for some of these 'Mechs for me it's greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Re: Sell me on some new 'Mechs.
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2014, 11:38:35 »
do you enjoy being a rat-bastard? get a Commando! it's perfectly suited for sneaking up on enemies and locking/NARCing on them, tossing air/art strikes around at the best possible times, and with their copious missle points for SRMs, anyone foolish enough to overheat when you're skulking about gets to eat several volleys of missile fire to their vulnerable rear facing before they can even move!

as a plus, a face full of SRMs is amazing at making enemy 'mechs crawl back into cover. i've made so many opposing pushes turn into hiding just behind a ridge until my side's ready it ain't funny.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2014, 12:33:51 »
Following is my personal opinion. Someone else's taste may be different:

Light: Uller
  • If you own Firestarter, buying similar Jenner would be a bit pointless.
  • Spider trades firepower for speed and jump capacity, but it's similar.
  • Locust and Commando are very light, although you may have fun with them. However, they can't jump.
  • Raven is a nice 'Mech (and I like taking it), but with the abundance of ECM in the game it's more and more difficult for Raven pilots to do their job. You can modify it as the pure combat-oriented machine, but Raven has quite big hitboxes and especially big legs.
  • Puma is 5 tons heavier than Kit Fox and can mount more weapons, but its lack of ECM disqualifies it.
So my suggestion is Uller.
It has many advantages: ECM, serious firepower of Clan weapons, JJs, durability thanks Clan XL engine. You can swap Omnipods and that's a big advantage, as you can mix them to mount lasers, autocannons and missiles.
If you are a team player and expect enemies with many LRMs, you can mounts up to three AMS with ECM and everybody in your team will be grateful. Just don't expect to play it as traditional Lights - Uller is no speed demon, but a team player.

Medium: Shadow Hawk / Ryoken
  • Trebuchet is weak and fragile
  • Centurion is weak
  • Kintaro can pack serious missile/laser firepower, but it's big and has no JJs.
  • Blackjack is small, even though you can make some interesting configurations. Vindicator is in similar category
  • Wolverine may have its uses, but it has never catched my eye in the game.
  • Griffin is not bad, but again you can mount only missiles and lasers
  • Nova is quite "broad-shouldered", so to speak, and it is limited to lasers/autocannons (although Clan ones)
  • Cicada is very fast, but the majority of its models is limited to energy weapons. People usually play it is ER Large Laser/ER PPC sniper. It can mount ECM. Sadly PUGs usually run away to snipe while the rest of the team suffers LRM hammering
Shadow Hawk has diverse models, so you can use configurations based around energy/missile weapons, energy/ballistic weapons, etc. It's quite fast and has good body shape.

If you can wait four weeks, Ryoken will be available for C-Bills. It's probably the best medium 'Mech in  the game. ClanTech, Omnipods, etc.

Heavy: Madcat
- the perfect blend of speed, firepower, armor, customizability and JJs.
- Cataphracts used to be great, but with standard engine they may lack firepower or speed while with XL engines make them vulnerable to side torso loss. They are still quite good, just they are not stars of the show as they used to be
- ditto for JagerMech
- Orion, Catapult, and Thunderbolt are average 'Mechs
- I consider both Dragon and Quickdraw to be quite weak 'Mechs: Dragon has very pronounced CT, while Quickdraw is just overgrown medium 'Mech (and again, you are limited to missiles/lasers (unless you buy Hero variant)).

Assault: Daishi
- Daishi will be available for C-Bills in two weeks.
- I wouldn't take Awesome as it is very broad - it's almost impossible to miss it. As enegy boat it suffers because so-called DHS work with 1.4 efficiency only. As LRM boat it needs spotter and no enemy ECM, if possible. As short-range brawler it's very big, for what it can deliver.

This is my personal opinion, so other people may suggest different 'Mechs.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2014, 12:59:02 »
Lights: Firestarters (which you already have) Ravens, and Jenners

Mediums: Blackjacks, Shadow Hawks, Novas, and the mighty Ryoken

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 13:36:02 »
- I wouldn't take Awesome as it is very broad - it's almost impossible to miss it. As enegy boat it suffers because so-called DHS work with 1.4 efficiency only. As LRM boat it needs spotter and no enemy ECM, if possible. As short-range brawler it's very big, for what it can deliver.

I have to chime in and agree wholeheartedly about the Awesome. It just isn't a good choice. I have the Pretty Baby and it handles worse than an other 'Mech I've used in MWO, including the Atlas. Regardless of which engine I use, it turns poorly and decelerates even worse; if you pop your head out somewhere you don't want to be, you're probably going to die because you're not stopping and reversing anytime soon. The hardpoints on the PB are kind of crappy too. The other Awesome variants have somewhat better options for configurations (still no ballistic though), but if their movement profile is the same (albeit slower), they just aren't a good option. I have 3 'Mechs for MC (all were on sale when I got them) and the PB is the only one I regret. And I regretted it immediately and no amount of second, third, or fourth chances ever managed to change my opinion on it.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2014, 16:56:52 »
Thanks for the suggestions all. For the moment I'm going to hold off on buying Clan 'Mechs. Once the Mad Dog hits for C-Bills then I'll possibly get some Clan 'Mechs. Though, the Kitfox is tempting.

So, for lights I'm still undecided...Though, Orin J., your case for Commandos is appealing. For Mediums, I may end up getting both a Griffin and a Shadowhawk and work through each. As for my heavies, I still love my Orion and definitely sticking with getting Cataphracts I've had fun in the trial one.

Now if I could just get enough C-Bills together. Always seems that even with premium time and victories the grind is hellishly slow. I need another Hero 'Mech I think.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2014, 17:31:03 »
Apparently my tastes do differ from most.

Griffin/Wolverine/Vindicator = Mobility rather than Firepower. Good supporting builds and surgical strikers/flankers. Cicada has ECM on 3M, but its entirely ground based and only the 3M has ballistics. Medium is the sweet spot for JJ, those without aren't bad but JJ open up so many options on the battle field.

Assaults, both of your suggestions are reasonable but come from conflicting directions. Quirks make the Awesome viable but most of the primary builds are energy heavy but not energy boats 'Mechs, carrying LL or PPCs rather than loads of mediums. If your a good shot they work well as a suppressor/sniper build. The 8R is a slow but good missile boat too. The mixed energy-missile builds like the Pretty Baby are less viable, IMO with Awesome its better to focus on one side of the coin.

The Stalkers though are pretty much among the best missile boats in the game, with both the weight and generally the hardpoints to carry enough SRMs to do the job if you can close or LRMs if you want to favor support. Look at the Mastery bundle if your thinking about another Hero, for either the Stalker or the Cataphract, both good value for MC.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2014, 18:39:43 »
Well, had a bit more MC than I thought, so, I bit and picked up the Champion Shadowhawk. *shrugs* It may not be the best variant, but, I've had a lot of fun with it as a trial 'Mech. Now to just plan out and pick up two more variants.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2014, 19:39:21 »
 Im a commando, spide & raven guy. I okay with Jenners , just couldn't get the hang of the firestarter. Love the uller now. Also been using the thor to good effect most games.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2014, 22:52:32 »
just couldn't get the hang of the firestarter.

They took me a little while. The best bet with them seems to be throwing an XL295 in 'em and going nuts. I'm running Ember, FS9-S, and -K. Just got done basic-ing all of them...Even my 8SL FS9-K. :D Even though throughout one match a teammate was ragging on me incessantly about how I'm doing 0 damage because I'm out of range and how small lasers are worthless...He was dead, I survived the whole match with two kills to my name. So those "worthless" small lasers must've been doing at least some damage. *laughs*

Now onto getting my Hunchbacks fully mastered and my Shadowhawk Basic'd! Might be interesting going from lights to mediums.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2014, 01:47:39 »
Following are just my personal thoughts, so you don't have to agree with them:

Thanks for the suggestions all. For the moment I'm going to hold off on buying Clan 'Mechs.
You don't have to. Sooner or later you will start buying Clan 'Mechs and you will find out that you have made a big effort on IS 'Mechs needlessly. Clan Mediums, Heavies and Assaults can do everything what their IS equivalents can do, but better.
(perhaps minus the ECM Cicada, but the Fenris will fill even this niche too, albeit without ECM; not to talk that the most PUGs will hide behind some rock and snipe, so they won't use Cicada's speed anyway)

Once the Mad Dog hits for C-Bills then I'll possibly get some Clan 'Mechs.
1) It will be in January
2) You may like the Vulture, but the basic truth is that the Vulture is 15 tons lighter than the Madcat. That means 15 tons less of armor and 15 tons less of weapons. Plus, the Vulture will be without JJs. And it seems to me that it will suffer the similar weakness as the Dragon - big CT.

Both 'Mechs are similar and both take the same Heavy slot in 3/3/3/3 system.

So, for lights I'm still undecided...Though, Orin J., your case for Commandos is appealing.
You may have fun with it, but the fact that you can't equip it with JJs is the reason why I wouldn't buy one. The lighter the 'Mech is, the more susceptible is to getting its legs damaged when running into enemy or friendly 'Mechs. Plus, you would have no JJs to slow down your falls or jump on cliffs.

For Mediums, I may end up getting both a Griffin and a Shadowhawk and work through each.
Personally I don't think that it would be a good idea.
Shadow Hawk can do practically everything what Griffin does, but not vice versa. There is not a single Griffin with ballistic hardpoint, so if you will want a jump-capable Medium 'Mech with ballistic weapon, you will have to buy a completely different 'Mech (or three, to master them).

As for my heavies, I still love my Orion and definitely sticking with getting Cataphracts I've had fun in the trial one.
If you really feel that must buy one of this pair, then Cataphract is the way to go - preferably Killya, -3D and -4X.

Now if I could just get enough C-Bills together. Always seems that even with premium time and victories the grind is hellishly slow. I need another Hero 'Mech I think.
If I may give a honest answer: No, you don't. A half of Hero 'Mechs either comes with its own set of problems or it's just plainly bad. Of all hero 'Mechs there are only three or four actually worth buying.

Well, had a bit more MC than I thought, so, I bit and picked up the Champion Shadowhawk. *shrugs* It may not be the best variant, but, I've had a lot of fun with it as a trial 'Mech. Now to just plan out and pick up two more variants.
You have spent real money on a Trial 'Mech? Real money SHD-2H(C) is exactly the same 'Mech as SHD-2H which you can buy for C-Bills.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2014, 09:12:28 »
I must respectfully disagree with you. Basically, I think it boils down to that you and I approach the game and how it's played differently. Neither of us are wrong in our approaches. Shall we agree to disagree?

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2014, 09:13:59 »
Sure.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2014, 09:27:32 »
« Last Edit: 23 September 2014, 08:56:38 by Reldn »

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2014, 21:14:05 »
So Maritan, care to tell us which heroes you feel are worth buying?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2014, 23:26:45 »
So Maritan, care to tell us which heroes you feel are worth buying?
Sorry, the OP wants this thread closed.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2014, 09:24:44 »
Well, I did want the thread closed, since I felt it had run its course. However, instead of making a new thread I'm going to put my rant in here instead. So, I guess it's back to free reign.

Begin Rant:
I guess when it comes down to it, I perhaps don't "get" MWO or perhaps I'm actually playing it wrong. I enjoy my IS 'Mechs that I'm piloting. Even if I get stomped hard I still have fun in my Hunchbacks, Firestarters, etc. etc. However, more and more I've been seeing how IS 'Mechs aren't worth it and that Clan 'Mechs are the only way to go. This is actually a big part of why I'm refusing to buy into the Clan 'Mechs right yet.

It's starting to wear me down so much from hearing it over and over that I'm actually considering selling all of my IS 'Mechs and switching over. Don't really want to, but, when it keeps getting tossed around that the other 'Mechs aren't any good anymore and that the only way to really enjoy the game is to run Clan I'm starting to feel like "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Since apparently I can only have fun and have any hope in this game if I run a Clan 'Mech...Especially if it's a TimberWolf.

Here I was thinking I was actually having fun with my IS 'Mechs. Guess not.
End Rant

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2014, 10:06:16 »
Here I was thinking I was actually having fun with my IS 'Mechs. Guess not.
End Rant

Having fun isn't enough, you need to be beating everyone else at everything.  ;)

On a more serious note, if you're happy with the IS stuff, stick with it. It sounds like they are planning to eventually have Clan vs IS games (i.e. 10 vs 12), though that might be months down the road, so hopefully not everyone switches over to Clan.

Regardless, do what you have fun with.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2014, 13:18:45 »
Regardless, do what *YOU* have fun with.

This!

Still love my Battlemasters, Blackjacks, and Jagers. Unfortunately, the Victor has been nerfed into oblivion, and I get too irritated driving it anymore. Shame I purchased the DS. 
There are many in our group that have not paid for Clan mechs, and still have exceptional games. Then, there are others that I see in PUGs that
have purchased Clan mechs, that think they are somehow invincible.

Just ignore the "Clan or go home" attitudes.   

SubtleAsAHammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2014, 11:43:24 »
It was a personal decision to sell all my remaining IS mechs and step into the great unknown with Clan Omnis.

I would suggest Novas (for C-Bills) & Dire Wolves once you have played these machines you will understand my decisions more.
" We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it  with our babies." Iron Maiden

"Scream in Despair for Mankind." Bolt Thrower

"Cry Havoc and let loose the Dogs of War." W S

"World Zone Kill, Annihilate Mankind, No Last Offensive, All Resistance Ceased ." Bolt Thrower from The Killchain & Pride

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2014, 01:14:59 »
Just ignore the "Clan or go home" attitudes.   

From Sunday night:

Direwolf pilot on my team (DWPOMT):  "LBX Spider.  Explain why I shouldn't destroy you right now."

Me:  "Because UrbanMech."

DWPOMT:  "Fair enough."
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2014, 02:15:13 »
On a related note, I'd actually popped into the thread, because I'm looking to buy a new 'Mech or two with my shiny 7.2 million C-Bills.  Right now, I have my UrbanSpider, a LCT-1M and a TDR-9SE I'm happy with, and I've been debating between pushing for either a Banshee, BattleMaster or Highlander and getting my first assault 'Mech, or getting the ECM Spider to build a UM-R80 analogue and pairing it with a Griffin.  Had an SHD-2H, but wasn't totally satisfied with it, and I think the Griffin did a better job of capturing the original artwork.  Griffins also have more emphasis on energy weapons, and I'm a big fan of lasers.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2014, 15:03:47 »
On a related note, I'd actually popped into the thread, because I'm looking to buy a new 'Mech or two with my shiny 7.2 million C-Bills.  Right now, I have my UrbanSpider, a LCT-1M and a TDR-9SE I'm happy with, and I've been debating between pushing for either a Banshee, BattleMaster or Highlander and getting my first assault 'Mech, or getting the ECM Spider to build a UM-R80 analogue and pairing it with a Griffin.  Had an SHD-2H, but wasn't totally satisfied with it, and I think the Griffin did a better job of capturing the original artwork.  Griffins also have more emphasis on energy weapons, and I'm a big fan of lasers.

I've never played a Battlemaster or Highlander before, but, I do own a Banshee -3E and love it. Those giant arms make for excellent shielding of your torsos to protect your weaponry and center... Now, just as a note. I'm not a "good" player by any stretch: My stats suck, I'm not overly competitive, and the 'Mechs I like tend to be seen as worthless. So, my opinion probably won't hold much value. All I can say is that I personally have fun and do decently with the Banshee.

I've also saved up enough C-Bills (and sold my Orion :() and will be purchasing a Kitfox. I'm just uncertain which one to start with. I'm also thinking of selling my FS9-S and -K and keeping my Ember.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2014, 16:43:49 »
I do have to say the Banshee does look like a good blend of the primitive and regular version, and the six fingers, which I think the mini may have, amuses me.  Hadn't considered the affect those big arms would have.  Think I may just do tha one next then.

SubtleAsAHammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2014, 15:54:32 »
I love the Clan omnis a lot. The Nova is getting to be fun again.

"World Zone Kill, Annihilate Mankind, No Last Offensive, All Resistance Ceased ." Bolt Thrower from The Killchain & Pride

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2014, 17:49:54 »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Banshee 3E.  Still getting the hang of it, and the only mods I've done were to swap the PPC for an LL, an extra SHS and CASE, and to upgrade the SL to an ML.  It isn't exactly the deadliest 'Mech in terms of firepower, but it is fun.  And damn is it tall.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2014, 11:21:43 »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Banshee 3E.  Still getting the hang of it, and the only mods I've done were to swap the PPC for an LL, an extra SHS and CASE, and to upgrade the SL to an ML.  It isn't exactly the deadliest 'Mech in terms of firepower, but it is fun.  And damn is it tall.

Nice. I finally settled on a build that I didn't think would work too well, but, has served me better than I thought. Dropped the Engine down to a 300, 2 PPCs, 3 AC/5s, Endo steel, DHS, Armor mostly distributed towards the front and ammo for the ACs. Moves slower and runs a bit hotter, but, it's capable of throwing out some decent firepower.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars

SubtleAsAHammer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2014, 21:51:23 »
Nice. I finally settled on a build that I didn't think would work too well, but, has served me better than I thought. Dropped the Engine down to a 300, 2 PPCs, 3 AC/5s, Endo steel, DHS, Armor mostly distributed towards the front and ammo for the ACs. Moves slower and runs a bit hotter, but, it's capable of throwing out some decent firepower.

The most thing is you enjoy the load out.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2014, 01:26:15 »
I've decided that even if MWO is 'dying', it's still my only chance to play, so heres a question; is the Cicada any good?  I absolutely love the -3P variant, can I use or modify one into its configuration?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 05 October 2014, 02:05:08 »
I've decided that even if MWO is 'dying', it's still my only chance to play, so heres a question; is the Cicada any good?  I absolutely love the -3P variant, can I use or modify one into its configuration?
No, you can't. The MWO includes no Heavy PPCs and no IS ER Medium Lasers, as it takes place in 3050.

However, there are two things that you can do:

1) CDA-2A/2B/3C and 3M are in the game. Plus Hero X-5. You can't equip the MWO Cicada with JJs.

Without big problems you could build -3F and -3G, but minus Jump Jets.
You could build -3P, but with either standard PPC or ER PPC, and with standard Medium Lasers. Ditto for -3MA, as Snub-nose PPC is not in the game.

2) Buy the Fenris when it will be available.
You should have four energy hardpoints total (if I count correctly from various Omnipods combined) and your Clan ER PPC will do 15 DMG. With Clan ER Mediums, this could be interesting.