Author Topic: Mech of the Week: ST-*G Stag  (Read 6874 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Mech of the Week: ST-*G Stag
« on: 08 April 2011, 07:06:40 »
'Mech of the Week: ST-*4G Stag

Some 'Mechs have names that echo on the winds throughout history, legends that stalk the battlefield forever in the hearts and minds of BattleTech fans.  Then you've got the also-rans, the less prominent but well-known figures that populate the margins of history and occasionally step into the limelight.  Somewhere below there you have the obscure, the ill-remembered, and the enigmatic, the footnotes of BattleTech history.  Today I'm writing one of those footnotes, the Stag, a flagship 'Mech of the Clans' favorite phantom menace published in Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents.  Recently, the Mercury II, a boon companion of the Stag in the Wolverine touman was covered for posterity and the infamous Pulverizer's coverage by Wantec rests in the archive.

While the Mercury II's pedigree is obvious, the ST-14G Stag's is more complicated.  Finding themselves with a number of Vulcans, the Wolverines looked first to modifying that Star League design but ultimately took it back to the drawing board entirely at the order of Sarah McEvedy.  The result is less a modification than an apotheosis.  Another 5 tons bring the chassis up to 45 total, matching the Phoenix Hawk, and endo-steel was used to reduce the weight of the frame.  A 270-rated extra-light fusion engine drives the Stag to a respectable 97.2 kmh, about average for that weight class in modern view, but the Wolverines slipped a joker into the deck with the inclusion of MASC, giving it the ability to pace a Mercury II or Assassin for short distances at just under 120 kmh.  10 tons of standard armor provides 153 points.  That's a trifle inefficient, given that you're spending a half-ton on a single lousy point, but it's worth asking what else are you going to do with it?  It's arranged well for the threat environment and respectably even against Clan lasers.  The ERLL from the Mercury II makes another appearance here, now in the right arm, and is backed up by two medium lasers (one in the left arm and another in the head) and two SRM 4s, letting it exploit the holes punched by its own weapons or its Star mates.  Both tons of ammo are in the left torso along with CASE and an active probe, making the 'Mech salvageable after an ammo explosion.  A dozen heat sinks let you use your full weapons load without heat buildup, though movement will still generate heat.

Not content with their creation, the Wolverines also produced a variant, the ST-24G Stag II.  This iteration of the Stag trades in the MASC, active probe, missiles, and large laser along with 2.5 tons of armor and the CASE module.  The engine was enlarged, allowing it to match the Mercury II's ground performance, while the main gun is now a mighty enhanced ER PPC that scores 12 points of damage, enough to blow the cockpit off an Atlas.  A medium pulse laser and small laser are mounted in each torso where the missiles once were.  The heat sinks were left alone, leaving your heat balance a little off, but the power of that PPC is probably worth the occasional juggling of your heat balance and it is sinked alongside both medium lasers, so it's not as bad as it could be.  As noted, the armor took a hit, but what's left is still smartly distributed, protecting well against your usual threats.

Jihad Secrets suggests a cavalry role and to be honest, I agree, especially in company of the smaller Mercury II.  Nicely armed for its size and reasonably fast, the Stag basically functions as a heavier version of the Mercury II without the jammer, equally at home flanking heavier units or harassing the small fry.  If you're engaging larger units, exploit your speed as much as possible to get around them, while that same speed can be brought to bear countering the mobility advantage of many lights.  With the 14G, pay attention to your MASC rolls, and the 24G needs to watch heat, balancing mobility and accuracy against available firepower.  You generally want to get in close and knife someone.  At longer ranges, reasonable quality heavier units are likely to be able to generate a lot more fire than you can, making the relative armor loss rate unpleasant, while lighter units are more likely to either evade or stretch things out.  That said, there are exceptions, so pay attention to your target's capabilities.  For example, any of the period Archers are a hell of a lot less dangerous up close (as long as you stay out of reach of the kicks) but a PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk's jets may let it evade you and actually get the upper hand unless you fence with it a bit to weaken the armor before bringing the hammer down.  Gyro hits are going to be murder.

Stopping a Stag isn't the easiest thing you've ever tried.  After taking an ST-14G and a Mercury II with veteran pilots in against a pair of regular MAD-1R Marauders a little while back, I have to rate it reasonably high for survivability as long as you can generate significant targeting modifiers and the weapons work well enough that you're going to get a few lumps in the process.  Pulse lasers on something zippy enough to keep up and tough enough to keep the Stag from returning the favor (ironically, the ST-24G suggests itself immediately, as does the unique Stealth) aren't a bad solution for lighter counters while an LB 10-X or two and maybe a large pulse laser can be useful to larger 'Mechs given the way Stags frequently want to get in close.  Lay fire down and if it trips, try to take advantage of it by pouring fire in while the targeting modifier is down a bit.  One that suffers a gyro hit should be treated like a lion pride treats a wounded antelope.

Art References: The original artwork is available at the MUL database, as are the Battle Values of both models.  (The ST-24G, technically called the Stag II, confuses the naming system and is located here.)  There's no examples on CamoSpecs but Iron Wind Metals does have a miniature that looks pretty good in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2017, 08:22:27 by Moonsword »

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Mech of the Week: ST-*G Stag
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2011, 10:26:22 »
Love the firepower of the 14G.  Its a fantastic medium weight design.  Works well as a heavy scout, fast enough with MASC to do some HK work of its own, and having two tons for the SRMs means that vehicles or infantry won't like seeing it either.  A mech like this would have rocked in the 3039-3055 era.  I really see no downside for it.  JJs wouldn't hurt it, but I like that its similar to, but different enough from, the PXH.  Reminds me a lot of a Menshen config.   

I like the Stag II a bit less, the small lasers are a bit silly given all the other lasers it has.  Dropping them for armour is an obvious fix for me.  But its a great skirmisher, able to punch holes, spam with its lasers, or swat other fast movers with its MPLs.  I could see either variant in the place of Stormcrows, and a Clantech upgrade...no matter what, I'll be fielding Stags in second-line forces, older era forces, or non-canonical units.  Its too cool a toy to leave it on the shelf. 

The mini and artwork really sealed my love of it, being recognizable as a Vulcan descendant but very visually distinct with its 'antlers'/antennae.  I even had it as a short-lived avatar for a little while.   

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2011, 14:56:32 »
Love the firepower of the 14G.  Its a fantastic medium weight design.  Works well as a heavy scout, fast enough with MASC to do some HK work of its own, and having two tons for the SRMs means that vehicles or infantry won't like seeing it either.  A mech like this would have rocked in the 3039-3055 era.  I really see no downside for it.  JJs wouldn't hurt it, but I like that its similar to, but different enough from, the PXH.  Reminds me a lot of a Menshen config.

The Mercury II and ST-14G are both pure Star League systems but in terms of construction quality, they're much more akin to the Royals than the regulars' equipment.  The advanced, top-shelf Royals at that.  The downside is the XLFE.  Once the torso gets breached, it's a matter of time but the armor and speed make doing that a non-trivial task in reasonably open terrain.

I like the Stag II a bit less, the small lasers are a bit silly given all the other lasers it has.  Dropping them for armour is an obvious fix for me.  But its a great skirmisher, able to punch holes, spam with its lasers, or swat other fast movers with its MPLs.  I could see either variant in the place of Stormcrows, and a Clantech upgrade...no matter what, I'll be fielding Stags in second-line forces, older era forces, or non-canonical units.  Its too cool a toy to leave it on the shelf.

I'd be very careful how I fluffed that.  It's not impossible, but the taint of the Wolverines lies heavily on these machines.  Perhaps the most likely to field them are the Wolves if their backs are against the wall, or early on while they're still recovering from the Annihilation.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2011, 17:40:52 »
The stigma wasn't so bad that the Snow Ravens avoided claiming the Pulverizer as their first 'Mech.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2011, 18:49:00 »
I suspect that in the case of any machines used/created by the Wolverines, that they were used until they fell apart. To aid with this, they were also probably assigned to the solahma and most dezgra pilots.

The Wolverine II's on the other hand probably disappeared as training targets...

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2011, 19:19:15 »
The Mercury II and ST-14G are both pure Star League systems but in terms of construction quality, they're much more akin to the Royals than the regulars' equipment.  The advanced, top-shelf Royals at that.  The downside is the XLFE.  Once the torso gets breached, it's a matter of time but the armor and speed make doing that a non-trivial task in reasonably open terrain.

For the firepower it packs?  I don't see the XL as a downside, no SFE Mafia wiseguy here.

I'd be very careful how I fluffed that.  It's not impossible, but the taint of the Wolverines lies heavily on these machines.  Perhaps the most likely to field them are the Wolves if their backs are against the wall, or early on while they're still recovering from the Annihilation.
I could care less about the fluff, honestly.  They give us toys, and I'm gonna play with them, not leave them on the shelf in the package.  Especially the really cool ones.  You other guys can worry about that crap, I wanna bash mechs, including Stags and Pulverizers. 

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2011, 02:36:01 »
Anyone else going to comment on the visual resemblance between the Stag and the Preta?  Beyond aesthetics, they share a tonnage and speed profile.  However, since the Preta uses a light engine, is it possible to duplicate the Stag's warload on the Preta's chassis?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2011, 05:08:07 »
The stigma wasn't so bad that the Snow Ravens avoided claiming the Pulverizer as their first 'Mech.

Yeah. Or the Coyotl looking and feeling still very much like an Mercury II.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2011, 09:24:46 »
Yeah. Or the Coyotl looking and feeling still very much like an Mercury II.

It's not really that surprising that the Mercury II (or any Wolverine 'Mech) would be used as a template for the first Omnimech, as long as the connection wasn't played up too much.  In the case of the Wolverine 'Mech/Celestial resemblances, some might like to see this as evidence of the Wolverine/Comstar connection--that there were fugitive Wolverines that integrated into ComStar and that they brought at least the design specs of the 'Mechs with them when they returned to the Inner Sphere.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2011, 09:42:25 »
Or its a coincidence because the same artist did the design...or at some point, while investigating the Minnesota Tribe, ComStar stumbled over a derelict JumpShip that either had an intact memory core or some of the `Mechs in an attached JumpShip. They can get the designs without having to incorporate fugitive Wolverines (one of the reasons I dislike the byline on the back of JSBD, "Centuries-old Secrets Revealed!" Well..no, no they aren't..they're hinted at and obfuscated and exist with the Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres).

The Stags are an interesting design, and along with the Mercury II, we might know who started the trend of adding weight to designs to make them new ones :) The 2 tons of SRM ammo on the first variant is nice, since with the right ammo load you can still try to pull off the original anti-infantry role of the Vulcan.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2011, 15:47:46 »
There's a definite resemblence in the upper torso, but I draw no conclusions either way from it.  Still, I like the theory, gyedid, it ties things in a little more closely.

Register