Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: ENF-** Enforcer III  (Read 7183 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: ENF-** Enforcer III
« on: 13 February 2015, 15:35:10 »
’Mech of the Week: ENF-** Enforcer III

Enforcer III. Revamp of the classic Enforcer. Marketed with the phrase, “Updated for more enforcement.”

Which sounds like something out of Robocop.

The Enforcer III comes to us from Technical Readout: 3060. There are a pair of variants in the 3085 document’s Old is New New section. And a final variant comes to us from Experimental Technical Readout: Davion.

The Enforcer III came about partly as a response to the need to give Victor Steiner-Davion some good press. His ascension to the throne of the Federated Commonwealth was quickly marred by the machinations of his sister, who directly lead to the split of the Lyran half from the Federated half. The Free Worlds League invasion added to the chaos and ill will. The name appears to just be a marketing gimmick, at least for the first model. The original model Enforcer III is little more than an upgrade of the “advanced” ENF-5D Enforcer that arrived in 3050.

As to why there is not an Enforcer II, I cannot be sure as to whether that was an oversight, or whether the ENF-5D was unofficially that. While some might call the Enfield the “real” Enforcer II, I think it to be its own design, and frankly may have been a separate design from the Enforcer, based on the different dates the plans were discovered in (2777 for the Enforcer, 2870 for the Enfield).

The ENF-6M Enforcer III arrived in 3059, and is built around an endo-steel skeleton. A Magna 250-rated extralight engine and five jump jets retain the movement profile of the ENF-5D. Ten tons of standard plate is laid out in a 9, 24/7, 19/5, 16, 20 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively). The twelve heat sinks of its predecessor are now double-strength models. Weapons consist of a Class-10 Ultra autocannon, an extended-model large laser, and an extended-model small laser. Two tons of ammunition feed the autocannon.

It was not until 3062 that other variants would arrive. The first was the ENF-6G, which traded the autocannon for a Gauss Rifle, the large laser for a medium pulse laser, and two heat sinks for three extended-model medium lasers. The left hand actuator was installed, because a good left hook is never to be discounted. The second was the ENF-6T, which removed all but the Gauss and one medium from the -6G to install a targeting computer and a ton of armor (four points to each leg).

The next variant arrived in 3064. The ENF-6H swaps the -6G’s Gauss Rifle for a Class-20 Ultra autocannon (fed by four tons of ammo). The medium pulse and small laser were also removed to install CASE.

This was all until the outbreak of the Jihad. With the Blakists descending upon New Avalon, mass devastation occurred. In that devastation, new ideas were implemented, sometimes out of desperation. Two new variants first arrived in 3074, both carrying advanced technologies. The first was the product of whatever remnants of the NAIS that survived the early days of the Jihad. The ENF-6NAIS uses eleven double-strength heat sinks, and mounts a Snub-Nose-class Particle Cannon, an extended-model small laser, and a large-class variable-speed laser. All of these were tied into a targeting computer. Additionally, there was a Guardian ECM suite and a C3 Slave unit. Light-class ferro-fibrous was used, laid out in a 9, 23/7, 19/5, 15, 22 pattern.

The other is designated ENF-7X, and is the result of Project MUSE COMPACT. This variant uses a slew of Clan technologies. The endo-steel skeleton, 250-rated extralight engine, the twelve double-strength heat sinks, and the eight and a half tons of ferro-fibrous armor are Clantech. The armor is laid out in a 9, 25/7, 19/5, 15, 21 pattern. An extralight gyroscope was used. Eight improved-class jump jets were used to give the design enhanced maneuverability. Weapons are a pair of Binary laser cannons. Eleven of this design were created, of which seven survived the Battles of New Avalon. After that, it is unknown what happened to them.

In 3075, the ENF-7C3BS entered service. Appearing to be a refit of the ENF-6T, it mounts a heavy-class Particle Cannon, a medium pulse laser, and an extended-model medium laser, tied to a targeting computer. It also mounts a Boosted-class C3 Slave unit.

The final variant has an official intro date of 3076, though refits could have been done in the style all the way back to the beginning of the Enforcer III. The ENF-6Ma swaps the ENF-6M’s Ultra-class autocannon for a standard model, with three tons of ammunition.

Using one of these is like using its predecessor, the Enforcer. To me, this is a harassment unit, that can be hard-hitting. Probably the jump jets talking. Anyway, my view is you jump in when you win initiative, smash a foe, then get behind cover when you lose. Keep moving, as it helps prevent return fire from being more effective. Gang up, if possible, on bigger targets to take them down.

Fighting one is also simple enough. Hit him hard and bring him down. Use heavy weapons to breech, and if he falls over, capitalize. If targeting is your thing, ammunition is in the right torso of those variants with ammo (though the Gauss variants have that gun in the right arm). Even with CASE on one variant, the extralight engine means he goes down if the ammo goes off. For those without ammunition, the center is always good.

The Enforcer III is likely still being used, as its production line was restored by the end of the Jihad (at least according to the Davion Objectives document). Being one of the iconic Davion BattleMechs, it is almost certain to be around in some number. And mercenary commands will have more, if only from their spread in the Jihad itself. Its legacy should continue on for long into the future. That is, unless House Davion is a casualty of the conflicts to come.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: ’Mech of the Week: ENF-** Enforcer III
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2015, 19:38:16 »
A solid trooper mech.
I'm not sure the 6T has enough firepower left to command the respect that would warrant the extra armour it mounts.
Btw,
a ton of armor (four points to each leg)
... wouldn't that be a half ton?
I like the NAIS design, solid close range punch and all those juicy electronics.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2015, 21:02:15 »
I've always enjoyed mixing the Enforcers in a lance. The ENF-6M and -6G punch nice hole that the classic -5D fills with clusters. I've taken down plenty of bigger 'mechs with this combo.

The other is designated ENF-7X, and is the result of Project MUSE COMPACT. This variant uses a slew of Clan technologies. The endo-steel skeleton, 250-rated extralight engine, the twelve double-strength heat sinks, and the eight and a half tons of ferro-fibrous armor are Clantech. The armor is laid out in a 9, 25/7, 19/5, 15, 21 pattern. An extralight gyroscope was used. Eight improved-class jump jets were used to give the design enhanced maneuverability. Weapons are a pair of Binary laser cannons. Eleven of this design were created, of which seven survived the Battles of New Avalon. After that, it is unknown what happened to them.

Where are you getting the  info on the -7X? I've seen it attributed a classic Enforcer and an Enforcer III, so I'd like to find some clarification on that.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2015, 12:11:57 »
The MUL clearly lists it as an Enforcer III.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2015, 13:03:05 »
The ENF-6Ma is missing
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

abou

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2015, 14:27:37 »
The Enforcer III is one of those designs that has never done me wrong. I like the 'mech a lot and find the UAC/10 version able to punch above its weight. It's one of the first that made me reconsider the Inner Sphere XL engine.

Heck, one time I took down an Executioner when I double-tapped the UAC and rolled boxcars twice. Never will that happen again, but damn it felt good.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2015, 16:21:18 »
The ENF-6Ma is missing

Actually, it is in the paragraph that starts with "The final variant".

I will also note that I really need to deal with a small issue that is caused by the differences in space between the forum and MS Word, where I write these things up... In Word, once a paragraph gets to be about four lines in length, I begin to get antsy. Here, that might end up being one line...

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2015, 21:48:46 »
You really need to work on your word settings.  :))
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2015, 02:10:07 »
Actually, it is in the paragraph that starts with "The final variant".

I will also note that I really need to deal with a small issue that is caused by the differences in space between the forum and MS Word, where I write these things up... In Word, once a paragraph gets to be about four lines in length, I begin to get antsy. Here, that might end up being one line...
My bad
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2015, 02:24:13 »
Can't really go wrong with the Enforcer family, always good trooper mediums that can punch quite above their weight. Great review! :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2015, 07:12:31 »
Love the Enforcer III. I've recently painted two of them for 1st Davion Brigade of Guards.
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2015, 11:21:38 »
Other than the much more recent Templar, probably no other Mech screams Davion. Great writeup.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2015, 11:30:21 »
A Ultra AC/10 or a Gauss or a Ultra AC 20 or a Heavy PPC, it's much more of a bruiser.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2015, 07:06:12 »
It always served me well, but I'm surprised there was never a RAC variant.
Shoot first, laugh later.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2015, 00:07:14 »
It always served me well, but I'm surprised there was never a RAC variant.
While a RAC/5 Enforcer would be interesting, pairing a Enforcer with a Legionnaire would probably make more sense. Legionnaire has a deeper ammo bin for the RAC 5 while the Enforcer is more flexible as is.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2015, 09:16:07 »
The Enforcer family reminds me of a line from the original House Davion book: The AFFS puts more emphasis on "team play" than the CCAF or DCMS. They match four MechWarriors who work well together in a lance. By itself the Enforcer probably won't take down a Dragon or Cataphract. But with the Enforcer you get a unit that can use heavy autocannon hits to punch holes in armor. This lets the missiles from a Crusader, ValkyrieJavelin, or Commando inflict serious damage on the insides. The Enforcer III continues this tradition, but the critseeking ability is now provided by RAC-equipped units as well as the SRM carriers.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2015, 09:43:20 »
I'm not a fan of the III.  The switch from LBX10 to UAC10 robs it of much of its utility in roles like critseeking and AAA for a possible extra 10 points of damage, but considering the cluster table and the chance to jam I've never been that impressed with the UAC10.  Most of the other variants just don't seem to fit the traditional Enforcer paradigm (to wit: one big energy gun and one big ballistic in opposite arms, preferably with a small beam riding in the torso) to me.  An ENF with one ballistic and a cluster of MLs (or a single ML, or twin big beams...)is no more an enforcer than one that trades jumpjets for a 6/9/0 ground speed.  But I'm finicky like that.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2015, 20:34:32 »
I can understand pilot disappointment in the Enforcer III.  The UAC/10 just doesn't deliver.  The variants aren't fantastic outside of the class 20 one and the AC/10 one.  The obvious swap that never got made is just a straight GR/ERLL, like a jumping Huron Warrior.