Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon's nasty little bird. - The Fire Falcon.  (Read 8826 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/9/90/Firefalcon.jpg

Whoever designed this thing..you’re evil! It’s a little monster!  When designing Mech’s the usual cry is speed, armour, firepower, choose two, the Clans even with their advanced tech tend to follow this dictate (Hellbringer for example, firepower and speed, armour Haha!) But every now and then, they manage to pull not a rabbit out of the hat, but a whole warren’s worth and make one that has all three.  The best example of this is of course the classic Timber Wolf Prime. 

At the opposite end of the scale Clan Jade Falcon also finally produced the light Mech their Trueborn had been yelling for with the introduction of the Fire Falcon and its larger running mate the Black Lanner.  And there was no doubt much Falcon Mechwarrior rejoicing (and/or preening) when this Mech was rolled out and they could start replacing their Kit Fox's and Mist Lynx's with a far more potent machine.

At 25 tonnes the Fire Falcon is one of the lightest Mech’s in the service with the Clans and it’s also one of the newest and it was part of a new wave of machines coming from the Homeworlds to the battlefronts of the Inner Sphere in the early 3050’s when Operation Revival was still running.   These machines included the feared Night Gyr or the Falcons beloved Turkina as well as lighter machines.  It’s not known though if these were developed due to combat in the Inner Sphere or were already well in hand before Revival and were built in time to turn up a bit late. 

Interestingly the Fire Falcon was also the first Jade Falcon Mech to be built in the Inner Sphere, all be it in small numbers as a form of quality control.  This lead to expanded production of far larger machines.  Stylistically the Fire Falcon reminds me very much of a Jenner, it has minimal arms, a low slung, forward thrusting head assembly as well as thin and narrow legs.  I would not be surprised if the Jenner IIC was used as a template for this machines construction.

As with most Clan lights the full spread of weight saving went into the Mech’s construction with the 25 tonne machine being protected by 4 tonnes of Ferro-Fibrous armour and built round an Endo-Steel skeleton, whilst a 200 rated XL engine provides ample power and ground speed with the Mech hitting 129kph at flank speed (or 8/12/0 in game terms).  This makes it slightly faster than the Koshi/Mist Lynx but it lacks the other machines Jump Jets. 

The Fire Falcon definitely seems to have benefitted from the lessons learned in Revival in terms of what works and what does not and the Mech has been used as a replacement for the’generalist’ Mist Lynx (and I’m being generous there..dislike the Koshi thanks to its 3050 configs) in the Jade Falcons Tourman.

In terms of protection it is a light Mech but the armour is not bad, the legs can take a pair of standard Medium Lasers before being stripped and the arms can take one and still have a tiny amount of plating left.  The centre torso requires an AC-10 to breach it whilst the side torso’s can absorb a hit from a large laser and have armour about as thick as Teflon protecting them after. 

All this weight saving and the not maximised armour meant that there was room for weapons and the Fire Falcon has an incredibly generous 10 tonnes of space free to take equipment.  No space is wasted with fixed heatsinks, or any fixed items of any note.  This means that it can carry a staggering amount of armament for its size and the Falcons made sure to see what they could cram into the pod space of the Fire Falcon with its seven configurations.

Configurations

Prime – Another echo of the Jenner in regards to its armament the Fire Falcon Prime is built for medium to short range engagements, using its speed and manoeuvrability to keep it alive whilst it hammers away.  The 10 tonnes of pod space really show off here as there’s probably few light Mech’s that carry as much (USABLE) firepower as this variant, and probably a few medium’s too.  A pair of ER Medium Lasers are the Prime’s ‘long range’ weapons, but with their performance they are still long ranged enough for most engagements.  Supporting these lasers are a pair of ER Small Lasers mounted co-axially with their larger cousins (all in the right arm) whilst the left arm has a single Medium Pulse Laser.  But wait! There’s more, a pair of SSRM-4’s sit in the left torso, sharing one tonne of ammo between them.  A full broadside will overwhelm the 20 heat the Mech can dissipate by 6 if you run but this is only at the shortest of ranges and if both SSRM’s hit. 

Alfa – I have already said in other articles that I dislike the super-light AC’s be they LB or Ultra but here one finds a welcome home.  A UAC-2 with a tonne of ammo sits in the Alfa’s right arm whilst an LRM-10 sits in the left torso, also drawing from a 1 tonne ammo bin.  An ER Small laser in the left arm probably looks comically out of place compared to the long barrelled cannon in the right.  With its speed the Alfa is a dedicated harasser and because the UAC and LRM share similar range brackets it can zip around at extreme range and make a pain of itself.  Save for jumping into a volcano it is impossible to overheat this machine, even with two engine crits it could still run and alfa all day long.

Bravo – The Puma Prime’s smaller cousin (or a Mech that will evolve into a Puma who knows…) the Bravo is another dedicated sniper, but unlike the Alfa it trades all of its weapons for a pair of ER Large Lasers and a targeting computer.  Whilst it does not have the raw throat ripping power of the Puma I would say this is a better machine.  A Puma Prime will overheat badly if you start pressing the Alfa button.  But the Fire Falcon Beta can dissipate all but 4 of its heat if it fires and stands still and if you’re sniping in this thing you probably will be stood still, at least at long range.  On this machine the second laser is far from a replacement in case it loses one unlike the Puma’s PPCs.

Charlie – Definitely showing that the Clans were learning from fighting the Inner Sphere the Charlie is built to fight in close confines like cities or wooded areas and do horrible, horrible things to infantry and light tanks whilst still being able to slap Mech’s its size.  A quartet of machine guns drawing from a tonne of ammo fill out the right arm whilst a Medium and Small Pulse laser sit in the left joined by an ER small.  Like the Prime the Charlie also has a pair of missile racks, in this case a pair of SRM-6’s in the left torso that are fed by a 1 tonne ammo bin shared between the two launchers.  An Active Probe in the head rounds out the armament and let it hunt down ambushing infantry and turn them into bullet riddled smears.  Even when faced with battle armour the laser array and SRM’s can threaten them (especially if you’re feeling cruel and load Inferno’s) and the lasers and missiles can do a number on vehicles motive systems and disable their weapons.

Delta – Designed to be the spotter for its Star or Binary the Delta is fitted with a TAG system as well as a NARC Beacon for its LRM equipped and probably bigger brethren.  The Charlie also features a pair of SRM-4’s and an ER Medium Laser for self-defence but in a Zell heavy situation, steer clear of this config.  Otherwise you could find yourself tagging and Narc podding for your Star who then point blank refuse to help you out because of Zellbringen.  Which would be vexing for the pilot of the Delta in most situations.  Still for a spotter it is a well armed and useful machine and has 2 tonnes of NARC pods and 2 tonnes of ammo for its SRMs (perhaps one would be better used as an ECM instead?).

Echo – The first of the ‘new toy’ configs that started using the Clans latest weapons, in this case the Falcons managed to cram an ATM-12 into the left torso.  The huge launcher still leaves enough room for three tonnes of ammo allowing you full access to all the ammo types used by the ATM system, all be it only 5 shots a pop.  It would be a good idea to choose your ammunition wisely, personally I’d go with 2 tonnes of standard and one tonne of HE.  Whilst tied to one weapon system the Echo’s flexibility is a strong plus and an ATM-12 firing HE at your back is also an utterly terrifying prospect as the Falcon is fast enough to get round behind you.

Foxtrot – Seemingly an upgrade of the Charlie that again has new toys, the Foxtrot is another infantry butcher.  This variant accomplishes its role with a pair of MG Arrays each fitted with four machine guns, these guns are mounted in the left and right torso and are supported by paired arm mounted ER Small Lasers and ER Micro lasers to strip away battle armour protection.  For hurting larger threats, an ER Large laser rounds out the Foxtrot’s armament and adds if needs be a BIG battle armour melting punch.

Hotel – The Hotel configuration like many Clan Hotel configs features Heavy Lasers and the Fire Falcon H is no different.  A Heavy Medium lasers sit in each arm and co-axial to it is a Medium Pulse laser.  Finishing off the armament a pair of Heavy Small lasers buried under the Mech’s chin.  To counter the ferocious heat of the new lasers the Hotel is fitted with an extra three tonnes of heatsinks.  A full broadside will generate 28 heat before movement and the Hotel can vent 26 of this, meaning that you can run and gun the larger weapons, only increasing your heat if you add the small lasers to the mix at point blank range.  Like the Echo and many of the other configs the Hotel is a fearsome combatant and a dangerous backstabber and the heavy lasers let it be a threat to anything that can catch it or it runs down.

Final thoughts

I’ve heard some folks accuse the TRO3058 of being full of Mech’s that are a bit cheesy or over optimized when compared to the older TROs.  In some ways I agree (*he says glancing at the Pillager and Thunderhawk who cough awkwardly*) but also it’s the first time we get an inkling of what happens when Clan Mech’s are for the most part, more rationally designed.  Gone are 3 AMS’s on one chassis or 5 tonnes of SRM ammo all nicely stored in one place.  In are far better designed and less…quirky machines, that don’t go into hyper tuned and balanced designs like later Mech’s (Yes Mr Hellstar I'm talking about you!).  They still have their flaws and weaknesses but it’s a step away from the original 3050 designs and their quirks that were no doubt put in because of how powerful Clan Tech simply was against 3050 or 3025 equipment.  By 3058 the Inner Sphere has enough new toys and Mech’s to present a challenge in a stand up fight and the Clan Mech’s change to show this.

As for the Fire Falcon, it’s a light Mech that is generally well done. Its fast but not too fast, the protection is good and firepower and space is superb.  All in all it’s a well-balanced and well thought out design, that could maybe just get in over its head thanks to its firepower.  Sure it’s got a punch, but if it gets punched back…well lets hope the return blow isn’t from anything too powerful, it’s still a light Mech after all.

Any thoughs and comments are most welcome.

« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 23:50:18 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Clan Jade Falcon's nasty little bird. - The Fire Falcon.
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2015, 09:45:11 »
The Fire Falcon maintains an especially firm place in my heart.  It embodies the feast/famine paradigm of extremely designed units, and in a sense, the struggle of the clans against the Inner Sphere.  The Fire Falcon is a hard hitter, but frail.  It isn't particularity easy on BV, either, if you balance by that kind of thing.  The trick is to put it in the right place to cause damage to the right unit without being destroyed in return.  No easy feat when you are outnumbered or their are clan warriors with large pulse lasers on the field.  But, that is what I like about the Jade Falcon Touman's selection of mechs in general.  We could do things the easy way, like Clan Wolf, with perfectly designed Timberwolves and flippy armed Direwolves, letting the mechs sort everything out like checking off a checklist.

OR we can do things the JADE FALCON way!  That is to say, the risky way.  The finesse way.  The way that says, yes, I will throw a light mech at your assault mech and you will be the one who is afraid.  We'll both die, but the greater glory goes to the bold.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2015, 10:03:47 »
The way I see it, the Falcon is a killer of lights as its role, but its got enough firepower to make a lot of IS Mediums and even some Clan mech's sweat a bit when they see this thing come surging towards them at a full run.  And as you said it goes in extremes, its an early Solitare, its got enough firepower to make anything sweat if it gets behind them and yes its still a light so will fall apart if you hit it hard enough.

But it's also one of the better Clan lights, the 3050 mechs were probably deliberately gimped because of the bananananananas tech advantage Clan stuff has over anything the Inner Sphere has, which lead to them being quirky or just plan weird in their weapons loadouts.  The 3058 TRO steps away from the hooting braying lunacy of some of the 3050 Configs and puts both shoes firmly in sensible territory. 

This trend continued to evolve and grow as the Clan mechs became (generally) more rational, loosing some of the lunacy of the 3050 designs due to changing rules mainly and their mechs continue to be refined into more deadly killing machines.  One could say that this was shown off by the 3145 Tiburon, possibly the best Clan Light mech ever designed, so much so that its probably a tad OP.  But this trend towards rationality and sensible (if dang powerful) designs started with TRO:3058's machines and the Fire Falcon.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2015, 13:27:52 »
You're getting better at writing Marauder- I'm really starting to her your voice in the articles you're making. My only "real" complaint is this line in the Alfa config:
But wait. There’s more.
Not using a comma and exclamation point has thrown off the "beat" of the paragraph and breaks the flow.

Anyways, I find the Fire Falcon interesting in that it completely lacks any variant with jump jets, which actually makes it a good partner to newer Falcon machines like the Eyrie letting them support the more maneuverable physical attackers. Now if only we could get new art for it- Loose took the phrase "bird legs" to heart in the TRO...
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2015, 14:55:04 »
Now if only we could get new art for it- Loose took the phrase "bird legs" to heart in the TRO...

The legs don't bug me as much as the rear...and the chronic "where's-my-cockpit-itis" that the Black Lanner also suffers from. I love the Fire Falcon besides that, it's a fun little 'mech that I don't play enough.
I mean, check this out:

A quick comment (a bit of a pet peeve more than anything): the "all be it" in the fourth paragraph should be "albeit"
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2015, 18:19:58 »
What an ugly looking mech.
Curiously, it and the Men Shen look rather similar... though the latter looks good.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2015, 18:38:15 »
What an ugly looking mech.
Curiously, it and the Men Shen look rather similar... though the latter looks good.

I like how the Fire Falcon looks  :D

Nice article marauder a Mech I haven't used in.... Ages haven't personally used any of the new toy configurations (barely looked at them)

Nice bit of humour in the a piece as well

One thing it's Alpha not Alfa but that's nothing to worry about
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2015, 19:46:08 »
Sort of surprising that we don't see any modern variants of the Fire Falcon, since as of 3080 the Fire Falcon was still in production. Considering the issues of the Post-Reaving Clans, you'd think that as a homemade design that was being produced in the Inner Sphere it would be a prime candidate for modern variants.

Still, hard not to like a design whose performance is close to the Mongoose, but with more firepower, though less armor.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2015, 20:54:05 »
The likeness to the Jenner never occurred to me until this article, good read.

I wish the art was a little closer to the other Omnis, TRO 3058 is when Loose started getting creative with more round walking egg aesthetics.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2015, 22:50:16 »

In the category of light Clan omnimechs, the Hellion arguably does a better job of balancing speed/armor/firepower (and is heavier to boot).  And the Arctic Cheetah is a similar design (8/12 ground speed, 75-80 points of armor, some similar configs).  But the Fire Falcon is probably in the top three or so light Clan omnimechs.

It would be nice to see a Panther-ish Fire Falcon configuration with an ER peeper or improved heavy large laser combined with a bunch of SRMs.  That kind of configuration would probably deliver the best hole-punching/crit-seeking combination to take advantage of the Fire Falcon's speed for back-biting attacks.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/9/90/Firefalcon.jpg
I’ve heard some folks accuse the TRO3058 of being full of Mech’s that are a bit cheesy or over optimized when compared to the older TROs.  In some ways I agree (*he says glancing at the Pillager and Thunderhawk who cough awkwardly*)

A guy I gamed with in college, Hugh Browne, designed the T-Hawk, the Devastator, the 3058 version of the Pillager, and much of the rest of that TRO.  He did have a predilection for Gauss cannons and assaults.  That said, those three designs were purposefully nerfed with XLEs.  If you wanted to see over-optimized, you played with our SFE, double- or triple-Gauss, TSMed, 100-ton monsters.

We could do things the easy way, like Clan Wolf, with perfectly designed Timberwolves and flippy armed Direwolves, letting the mechs sort everything out like checking off a checklist.

OR we can do things the JADE FALCON way!  That is to say, the risky way.  The finesse way.

Yeah, nothing says finesse like dropping a warship on rebelling forces dirtside. ;)

I urge you to declare a trial of possession for a Wulfen and then try to "finesse" your way through your next engagement in one of those! ;)

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2015, 23:32:22 »
I almost forgot the Hellion, now thats a lethal mech. Again brutally designed.  And I'm glad folks like it :) Save for a few grammatical errors.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 23:50:42 by marauder648 »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2015, 11:57:30 »
I'm a rabid fan of the Fire Falcon B in particular- it has other handy configs, mind you, but the twin large lasers... it's a blast to find a good sniping position, fire off a few shots, then scoot away to find another position. It's always fast enough to rapidly move between positions, and hold that dizzying range advantage as long as it likes. I've brought down heavies with these things- it's just vicious if you use it carefully. (That the Gyrfalcon feels like a bigger version with jumping in place of the ground speed shows that the Falcons seem to have agreed with the concept!)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2015, 13:13:55 »
Yeah, nothing says finesse like dropping a warship on rebelling forces dirtside. ;)

That warship was already crippled.  The crew was honored to piledrive the rebels.

I urge you to declare a trial of possession for a Wulfen and then try to "finesse" your way through your next engagement in one of those! ;)

Took the Wolves long enough to come to our way of doing things.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2015, 17:38:43 »
I've used this mech a couple of times and it's always been brutal.  Like dropping a piranha in a tank of goldfish and setting it on "puree."

Whenever I see an opponent using one, I make an active effort to kill it early.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2015, 19:44:01 »
The way I see it, the Falcon is a killer of lights as its role, but its got enough firepower to make a lot of IS Mediums and even some Clan mech's sweat a bit when they see this thing come surging towards them at a full run.  And as you said it goes in extremes, its an early Solitare, its got enough firepower to make anything sweat if it gets behind them and yes its still a light so will fall apart if you hit it hard enough.

But it's also one of the better Clan lights, the 3050 mechs were probably deliberately gimped because of the bananananananas tech advantage Clan stuff has over anything the Inner Sphere has, which lead to them being quirky or just plan weird in their weapons loadouts.  The 3058 TRO steps away from the hooting braying lunacy of some of the 3050 Configs and puts both shoes firmly in sensible territory. 

This trend continued to evolve and grow as the Clan mechs became (generally) more rational, loosing some of the lunacy of the 3050 designs due to changing rules mainly and their mechs continue to be refined into more deadly killing machines.  One could say that this was shown off by the 3145 Tiburon, possibly the best Clan Light mech ever designed, so much so that its probably a tad OP.  But this trend towards rationality and sensible (if dang powerful) designs started with TRO:3058's machines and the Fire Falcon.

While there were most likely some out of universe balancing issues with the 3050 Omnis, most of those Omnis were designed (in universe) for Clan warfare. In those situations, most everything could be sacrificed for firepower. Battles were usually short. Warriors would declare duels against specific targets. Gaining a decisive victory fast minimized return fire & damage, thus saving resources and minimizing waste. An ideal battle would be fought with the smallest numbers possible on each side, using the fewest of the limited resources in the Homeworlds.

Once the Clans arrived in the Inner Sphere, they fought those uncivilized barbarians who fought in large numbers, wasting far more resources. Battles that could be decided in Clan space with a star on each side would be fought with companies or a battalion in the Inner Sphere. Even with superior technology, the Clans still faced superior numbers, who rarely honored the dueling system honed by the Clans. As new war machines were designed, they needed to sacrifice some firepower to last longer in battle, trading some of those hard-hitting ballistic weapons for ammo-less energy weapons. And with most anything designed, it is rarely done perfectly the first time. Even when a perfect 'Mech is made, the enemy always adapts, requiring a new perfect machine be made.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 10 April 2015, 19:44:14 »

While there were most likely some out of universe balancing issues with the 3050 Omnis, most of those Omnis were designed (in universe) for Clan warfare. In those situations, most everything could be sacrificed for firepower. Battles were usually short. Warriors would declare duels against specific targets. Gaining a decisive victory fast minimized return fire & damage, thus saving resources and minimizing waste. An ideal battle would be fought with the smallest numbers possible on each side, using the fewest of the limited resources in the Homeworlds.

Once the Clans arrived in the Inner Sphere, they fought those uncivilized barbarians who fought in large numbers, wasting far more resources. Battles that could be decided in Clan space with a star on each side would be fought with companies or a battalion in the Inner Sphere. Even with superior technology, the Clans still faced superior numbers, who rarely honored the dueling system honed by the Clans. As new war machines were designed, they needed to sacrifice some firepower to last longer in battle, trading some of those hard-hitting ballistic weapons for ammo-less energy weapons. And with most anything designed, it is rarely done perfectly the first time. Even when a perfect 'Mech is made, the enemy always adapts, requiring a new perfect machine be made.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2015, 23:16:27 »
A guy I gamed with in college, Hugh Browne, designed the T-Hawk, the Devastator, the 3058 version of the Pillager, and much of the rest of that TRO.  He did have a predilection for Gauss cannons and assaults.  That said, those three designs were purposefully nerfed with XLEs.  If you wanted to see over-optimized, you played with our SFE, double- or triple-Gauss, TSMed, 100-ton monsters.
... [drool]
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2015, 07:04:03 »
I must admit, I do like the Fire Falcon. It is in the same spirit as the Jenner - never considered that!

I will have to get some for my largely neglected CJF Delta Galaxy...
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2015, 07:08:27 »
This thing feels like a lot of the configs were designed to kill other clan lights.  Some of the early layouts could have that "cuz we're fighting the Inner Sphere" feel but I think this one started with whacking other Clan mechs in mind.

It's darn good at it too until the Hellion arrives

To the patient go the spoils

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2015, 09:47:33 »
I dunno, the Fire Falcon came into production during Revival, the Falcons were probably feeding data back to the Scientists and said "We want this thing! Make the thing!" and gave them an outline.  What they produced was IMO a very very light Medium.  This is not some scout, its not a recon or tag machine, its role is to kill the enemy.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2015, 21:12:17 »

Were you working with FASA at the time TRO 3050 was written and the Clan Invasion being planned? If not, I'll find it difficult to take your words seriously about the actual authorial intent behind the garbage designs of the Hellbringer and Kit Fox, and the glaring holes in other design's configurations. And if you were, I want to ask what the HELL WERE YOU JOKERS THINKING WITH THE INNER SPHERE DESIGNS. I knew they were crap when I was 11 years old, and my copy was scribbled over with redesigns. All that white space in the "Overview" section sure saw a lot of use...

Everyone may have agreed on certain retcons making sense, but only the people who were writing the TRO know what kind of substances fueled their fusion engines.

In Alpha Strike news, the Fire Falcon is nasty. Most Inner Sphere assault Mechs don't deal 5 damage at any range, and the Prime is sitting there with a nasty 5/5/0 S/M/L that just threatens to tear the guts out of any other lights. Its armor is a paltry 3/1, so it'll go down after only two or (maybe) three hits, but while it's there it'll kill things. The C has PRB and barely less damage, very handy.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2015, 10:20:32 »
Were you working with FASA at the time TRO 3050 was written and the Clan Invasion being planned? If not, I'll find it difficult to take your words seriously about the actual authorial intent behind the garbage designs of the Hellbringer and Kit Fox, and the glaring holes in other design's configurations. And if you were, I want to ask what the HELL WERE YOU JOKERS THINKING WITH THE INNER SPHERE DESIGNS. I knew they were crap when I was 11 years old, and my copy was scribbled over with redesigns. All that white space in the "Overview" section sure saw a lot of use...

Everyone may have agreed on certain retcons making sense, but only the people who were writing the TRO know what kind of substances fueled their fusion engines.

In Alpha Strike news, the Fire Falcon is nasty. Most Inner Sphere assault Mechs don't deal 5 damage at any range, and the Prime is sitting there with a nasty 5/5/0 S/M/L that just threatens to tear the guts out of any other lights. Its armor is a paltry 3/1, so it'll go down after only two or (maybe) three hits, but while it's there it'll kill things. The C has PRB and barely less damage, very handy.
No I wasn't part of the writing staff, but I was just trying to give some kind of an in-universe justification for why those Omnis might seem to be so bad to most folks from a gameplay perspective. It's long been stated that TPTB try to avoid making optimized units in TROs (or at least not many of them), so it's likely they were designed (out of universe) to be more balanced when compare to IS units. I was just trying to make up an in-universe reason they might be so bad.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2015, 15:03:56 »
Which is perfectly fine, and the reasoning you give is how I've come to peace with some things (like the Kit Fox). I didn't mean to sound so hostile; I've had... a rather unpleasant week, and really I was more trying to crack a joke at the expense of TRO 3050 than attacking you, personally.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2015, 15:52:23 »
I love this nasty little bird.  Fast enough to flank most heavies, with enough firepower to not be taken lightly. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.