Author Topic: The Mech called M̶o̶n̶g̶r̶e̶l Grendel!  (Read 10719 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
The Mech called M̶o̶n̶g̶r̶e̶l Grendel!
« on: 12 April 2015, 09:07:11 »

Another TRO:3058 Mech the M̶o̶n̶g̶r̶e̶l Grendel is another example of what the Clans could do when they were not punching each other in the face or watching a Smoke Jaguar Il Khan punch people in the face.

This is the Medium Mech the Clan’s wanted and to me it fits into the general purpose role of the large 55 tonne classics we see in the Inner Sphere.  Except its 10 tonnes lighter, faster and better armed, this is the Stormcrow’s lighter, humanoid cousin whereas the Dragonfly was a speed freak that tried to look threatening (and probably was reduced to going RAWR!) whilst the Fenris was designed by lunatics and then improved by Clan Lawful Good (or Lawful Stupid depending on your view of the Wolves.)

Coming from Clan Diamond Shark at a time when the purse strings were thrown wide open and probably when the Warriors had really their last chance to retain full control instead of the ever growing power of the Merchant Caste, the M̶o̶n̶g̶r̶e̶l Grendel was developed and built during Operation Revival and was first seen in active service on Tukayyid in Smoke Jaguar and Shark service.

Despite the Shark’s Warriors terrible performance during that huge battle the Grendel (as it was known by the Com Guards) earned a fearsome reputation in a short time.  This reputation meant that the other Clans started making grabby hands (read Trials) for them and scenting money the Sharks Warriors told the Merchants to sort it out, and sort it out they did!  Instead of bloody and wasteful battles the Merchants engaged in negotiations that they no doubt came better out in, with resources and aid from the other Clans in rebuilding their battered (and small) Tourman. 

In return for this the other Clans of Kerensky got access to the Grendel (be it production runs or plans for the machine), which the Sharks had learned was the Inner Sphere code-name for the Mech, decided they liked it and rebranded the Mongrel into the Grendel.  This turned the 45 tonne machine into a common sight amongst the Clans and its production continues to this day although this status in the Homeworlds may well have changed due to t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶u̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶H̶o̶m̶e̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶s̶ TECHNICAL ERRORS.  EVERYONE IN THE HOMEWORLDS IS FINE. THEY ARE HAVING A CUP OF TEA AND ARE DOING WELL.

What the Clans got was a no-expenses spared 45 tonne general purpose combatant and raider and whilst the Grendel is a resource heavy machine, the investment is well worth it.

The beating heart of the Grendel is a 315 rated engine to provide power for its systems and limbs.  Capable of pushing the Mech at 112kph the 45 tonne machine also has integral and fixed jump-jets allowing leaps of around 200 meters (or 7/11/7 in game terms).

An Endo-Steel skeleton is wrapped up in 7.5 tonnes of Ferro-Fibrous armour which provides considerable (if not maxed out) protection.  The legs can take an AC-20 before anything goes internal, whilst the arms can take an AC-10 and a single SRM before loosing protection.  Both side torso’s can take a pair of large laser hits and the chest is built to withstand similar punishment but still have a hair of armour, a single SRM’s worth left over. 

With good protection, very good mobility and none of the madness of the Revival Omni-Mech’s fixed heatsinks the Grendel can still ship 13.5 tonnes of weapons,  far more than the equal weight Fenris or the miserable 8.5 tonnes of the Dragonfly.  This tonnage is put to good use on the Primary config and its seven alternate options.

Variants

Prime – Forgoing large projectile weapons or even the almost traditional ER PPC/Large Pulse Laser route the Grendel Prime is a multi-range combatant and is armed accordingly.  The big gun of the Mech is a classic ER Large Laser sitting comfortably in the right arm whilst drawing from its power feed is an ER Small (no it’s not a targeting designator). 
Backing up the primary weapon is a trio of ER Medium’s two of which live in a ‘knuckle duster’ like mounting on the Mech’s left arm and the third sits above the cockpit in the head.  Finally a SSRM-6 with a tonne of ammo lurks in the right torso behind a sliding panel to disguise the weapon before retracting to fire.  Even with an extra two tonnes of heatsinks added the Grendel is a bit of a heat hog, a full broadside will net you 35 heat if you fire the lot and run and dissipating 24 so it’s advisable to avoid the big red button with ALPHA STRIKE written on it unless you want crippling heat issues very rapidly.

Alfa – The Alfa (yes the NATO phonetic alphabet strikes back!) carries on the fine tradition of being an Omni-Mech Missile Boat Config and this is a sensible machine.  Armed with a pair of LRM-15’s each one drinking from a 2 tonne bin, the launchers sit on the left and right torso respectively.  For close range defences the Alf relies on the ER Small from the Prime and a Medium Pulse both sitting in the right arm. 
Whilst not the most punchy of Clan Mech’s the Grendel Alfa is a very mobile fire support platform and can actually run away from smaller faster Mech’s that are often assigned to hunt down such machines.  And if that fails you, then you can always use your LRM’s at point blank range.  Thanks to its weapons load out the on-board heatsinks have no issues with you running and gunning all day long.

Bravo – The Bravo is another mid to long range fighter in a similar vein to the Prime, but whereas the Prime relied on its ER laser, the Bravo has an Ultra-5 AC drawing from a rather limited 1 tonne bin, not really enough for sustained double-tapping.  Co-axial to the big cannon is an ER Medium laser whilst the ER Small has been moved to the head.  Backing them up for medium to short range engagements a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers are spread between the left arm and right torso. 
One could say that the Bravo and Prime are basically filling the same role and I’d agree, both are brawlers with a long range punch. One could say the Bravo’s superior in that it’s not quite the heat hog, a full broadside will net you 19 heat prior to movement, but the light ammo load of the UAC is also a drawback.

Charlie – The Charlie is built for short range and quick engagements and is only fitted with two weapon systems this being a LBX-10 AC in the right arm and a supporting ER Medium laser in the left.  The big cannon (the largest weapon fitted on ANY Grendel variant) draws from a very limited 1 tonne ammo bin forcing you to choose between solid and cluster rounds from the start. 
An AMS with a tonne of ammo also provide additional protection but of all the configs this cool running machine is my least favourite due to its limited ammo bin and weak firepower.  Perhaps it’s designed for dealing with tanks of providing a fast moving flak platform, because it will have issues with most Mech’s.

Delta – The Delta returns to the effectiveness of the Prime and Bravo configs with a long/medium/short range mix of energy weapons.  Instead of the medium AC or laser the Delta is fitted with the feared/hated/loved ER PPC for maximum head ripping goodness that lives in the right torso just above the Mech’s waistline. 
Supporting this is a bevy of lasers with a Small Pulse mounted in the right arm to deal with infantry threats whilst a Medium Pulse lives in the left arm alongside an ER Medium.  Finally a SRM-6 with a 2 tonne ammo bin sits in the left torso.  Unfortunately the Delta is a heat hog as no extra heatsinks were added. A full broadside will net you 30 heat before movement, again making the Alpha strike button something not to be pressed unless in an emergency.  Or when presented with the back of a big juicy assault Mech at short range.

Echo – The first ‘new toy’ variant of the Grendel, the Echo is the ATM carrier of the family, with a pair of ATM-6’s one in each torso.  Each launcher draws from a 2 tonne ammo bin meaning you can carry the full range of ammo but you’d still have to try and balance your load outs. 

Because of the bulk of the ATM’s the supporting weapons are a bit paltry with a Medium Pulse laser as well as the return of the ER Small who live in the Mech’s right arm.  Thanks to the hitting power of the ATM’s and the mobility of the Echo I’d go with a mix of standard and HE rounds with perhaps one tonne given over to ER rounds for long range stinging but at medium to short range is where the ATM excels, no one wants to run the risk of 36 damage spread across their back with a full hit and the Grendel Echo’s mobility lets it get there.

Foxtrot – The second new toy machine and this appears to be a retrofit of the Echo, swapping out the second ATM-6 and the supporting lasers for a pair of brand new Plasma Cannons.  The ATM retains its 2 tonne ammo bin whilst both cannons share a 2 tonne bin between them.  Certainly a recent development and no doubt showing the Clans have learned from the Jihad and Revival, the Grendel F is a tank and battle armour killer but to safely engage Mech’s it needs support as all its got for actually damaging a Mech is the ATM.  A full broadside without movement will leave you heat neutral but the somewhat limited ammo for the Plasma Cannons does worry me somewhat.

Hotel – The third new toy and it’s a H so its Heavy Laser time!  Although again this looks and feels like a Prime that’s had a few minor changes.  It still has a single large weapon, in this case a Heavy Large Laser sitting in the right arm, whilst backing it up are two ER Mediums, the almost ubiquitous ER Small and a Streak SRM-4. What weight was saved with removing one laser and downgrading the SRM launcher went into heatsinks, with an extra four being added onto the base chassis.  This still does not control the heat of an alpha strike which thanks to the heavy laser generates 33 heat (without moving) whilst the machine vents 28, still it’s not too bad and if you’re in position to use it…well the big red Alpha button is smiling at you.

Thoughts

The Grendel is a very good Mech, it’s really that simple. It does not have any donkey configs and the armament mix covers all ranges all mated together on a fast and mobile platform that’s got a decent jump range on it too.  I view this machine as being a fighter and brawler that’s far less quirky than the Nova and is more akin to the general purpose nature of the Stormcrow Prime.  Of my favourite variants the Prime, Bravo, Delta and Hotel are probably the top ones, limited ammo concerns, decent punch, what’s not to like.

I only wish that the Sharks when designing this thing had put a bit of their Kerensky’s into making it look a bit better, it does look like it was drawn up on an etch-a-sketch especially head on. There are not many drawbacks to this machine save its BV value, it can be rather pricey.
(Also thanks to Merchant Derek from Clan Diamond Shark who was there to edit my mistakes.)

Sorry for the spam but its quiet at work and I did this to stop being bored! Any comments and criticism are most welcome!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: The Mech called M̶o̶n̶g̶r̶e̶l Grendel!
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2015, 09:42:32 »
I think the mech looks pretty neat.
Also a nice article.
I miss a supercharger config, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2015, 09:54:00 »
It does not really need MASC or a supercharger, its a laser rave that can hit over 100kph its fast enough really. 

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2015, 09:57:32 »
You're never fast enough until you can get from ER medium laser range to behind a mech in a single turn.  }:)
Then again, with fixed jump jets, SCs are kinda stupid. Ah well. meh.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2015, 19:10:15 »
Oh Grendel H, what fun you are!

ERMLs and Heavy LL's match range brackets nicely and the fact it can vent the beat from all 3 of these weapons (yeah plus movement).  But that's 30 points at a 7,7, 16 spread and moving FAST.  This is the fast medium that kills assaults.

I use the prime and Delta a good bit as well.

To the patient go the spoils

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2015, 19:23:21 »
I've played with Shark forces for years, so I've gotten more than my fair share of use out of the Grendel. Although there's a few dud configs (the C and F certainly spring to mind), the Grendel has a few potent ones as well.

Most configs certainly aren't alpha-babies. But they do give you an absurd number of options, making the Grendel a pretty potent jack-of-all-trades. But mostly I'll play them like oversized Jenners, running behind someone to unload everything before jumping to cover and repeating it all over again. So yeah, it's fun, it's useful, but it's not my favorite 'Mech on the block.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2015, 19:57:52 »
The Grendel and Shadow Cat manage to do everything the Ice Box could do, only better. Added bonus is that both mechs look like they fit in with the 3050 omnis.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2015, 21:11:09 »
I've only fielded it a few times, but every time I did it served me well.

If only it wasn't one of the most ugly ''Mechs ever designed.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2015, 21:55:29 »
The Grendel and Shadow Cat manage to do everything the Ice Box could do, only better. Added bonus is that both mechs look like they fit in with the 3050 omnis.

Not to mention that in non-BV situations, it gives the Dragonfly a solid run for its money.

I've only fielded it a few times, but every time I did it served me well.

If only it wasn't one of the most ugly ''Mechs ever designed.

Say that to my face not online and see what happens

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2015, 21:58:54 »
Never seen the original Grendel art befor, where is it from?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2015, 22:37:14 »
Thats...a nice picture, where's that from as its better than the TRO art!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2015, 22:50:42 »
The old Black Thorns scenario pack. It debuted there (I think) alongside the Kingfisher, Shadow Cat and Shootist.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2015, 22:52:24 »
The Black Thorns scenario pack - it also introduced the Kingfisher, Shadow Cat and Shootist. Have to remember that many of the 'Mechs in TRO3058 appeared elsewhere first.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2015, 23:07:56 »
Thanks
The Black Thorns scenario pack - it also introduced the Kingfisher, Shadow Cat and Shootist. Have to remember that many of the 'Mechs in TRO3058 appeared elsewhere first.
I'm aware many of the mechs in 3058 are from Battletechnology and The Invading Clans SB but I never had the chance to flip through the Black Thorns SP.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2015, 23:11:44 »
I like this 'Mech, I really do.  So much so, that I made some Goliath Scorpion configurations for it.  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/clan-goliath-scorpion-grendel-configurations/

MA

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2015, 02:02:15 »
Nice breakdown of the configurations, I have to say that those long/mid range versions have always served me well, as has the H on occasion. Even the others are fairly solid performers, even the odd duck with the LB-X.

I'll still take a Stormcrow over one of these but it would be a hard choice.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2015, 22:40:09 »
The Grendel is one of those Alpha Strike units that does not earn friends, but does earn respect. 14"j movement, with A/S 5/2, is damnably hard to kill - and many TMM+3 Clan 'Mechs in the medium/light range have A/S 4/2, putting this one up above so much of its competition.

Its two best configs are Prime and Echo - the Prime having 4/4/1 with OV1, and the Echo having 5/4/1. However, I don't mind the Foxtrot; with its cheap, fast HT2/2/2 that turns its damage into 4/3/3 against vehicles and infantry it's a brutal cleanup machine that can cripple multiple 'Mechs if no other targets are around.

With all that said, though, I picked up a Shadow Cat when it came time to add to my Striker Nova, because the Grendel mini looks like butt. It is the most boring and boxlike mini that I could have imagined, ever. Even with the ugly Shadow Cat left arm (which I rebuilt anyway), the Grendel is just dull visually.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2015, 13:10:31 »
Ah, the Grendel. Given the listed speed and jump capability, I can just see some IS Mechjockey picking one up and running a custom configuration based on the Phoenix Hawk.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2015, 14:10:49 »
This is a fun mech to play with, I just wish fewer weapons were in the torso. Hard to carry BA with some of the configs.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2015, 17:33:13 »
I think the Prime is pretty decent for that job.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2015, 18:19:49 »
I think the Prime is pretty decent for that job.

The prime and Bravo. That's about it.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2015, 19:15:26 »
I've tried using this mech.  By the stats, it should have achieved greatness.  By the dice, it achieved a gauss round in the face.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2015, 19:18:09 »
I've tried using this mech.  By the stats, it should have achieved greatness.  By the dice, it achieved a gauss round in the face.

Gauss Rounds do that to people, y'know?  Even the best Mech is vulnerable to mach metallic melons.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2015, 19:41:25 »
Fun 'mech.  My favorite is the Bravo surprisingly enough.  I've used it a bunch due to it's "cheaper" BV and had great success brawling.  I like to team them up with other fast units the Sea Foxes can field (Goshawk II, Arctic Wolf II, Hellion, and Tiburon)

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2015, 22:18:15 »
oh hey it's the omni Starslayer.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2015, 23:11:14 »
The Stooping Hawk is the Omni Starslayer.  This is the Omni Stealth.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2015, 09:05:46 »
Gauss Rounds do that to people, y'know?  Even the best Mech is vulnerable to mach metallic melons.
That's why you use Hardened Armour.
FL + RS Might also work once.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #27 on: 20 April 2015, 13:31:20 »

The Grendel is arguably the best Clan omni with 7/11 speed or better.  Like the Timberwolf, it's an efficient, good balance of mobility, armor, and firepower at an optimum weight for its speed.  I might even argue that it's the best medium or light Clan omni in the canon, but it's hard to ignore the Stormcrow.

The frustrating thing about the Grendel (and the Viper and most highly mobile Clan omnis) is the lack of a large pulse laser configuration in the canon.  It's a little munchkin, but also it's also the best weapon for offsetting the high attacker movement modifiers these designs inflict on themselves to exploit their speed/mobility.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."