Author Topic: VotW: Minion Advanced Tactical Vehicle  (Read 5713 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
VotW: Minion Advanced Tactical Vehicle
« on: 24 May 2015, 10:07:46 »

Today's article is a request. Jealous? You should put in a request as well- you never know, your vee of choice could be next week's discussion!

The FedCom Civil War brought about a lot of changes for the two nations at war- worlds torn apart by fighting, entire RCTs wiped out, countless death and loss... but as with so many wars throughout history, it also brought about technological breakthroughs and new ideas in war. While it was designed pre-war, it wasn't until the FCCW broke out that the hovertank known as the Minion was put into production, part of a joint effort between GM (Kathil) and Ceres (Tikonov). Those familiar with the war will know that last one means that House Liao now owns one of the two assembly sites- we'll look at that later. For now though, we'll look at the original version of a vehicle that may look a little funny, and probably hasn't shown up on your battlefields often, but ends up being a hidden gem.

Minions are intended as spotters and harassers- you know the idea. Move fast, pick at a target with a couple of modest hits, zip away to continue fighting later. The Federated Suns' investment into C3 technology in the late 3050s created an extra bit of a job to do- provide telemetry for more distant units in your network. Combined with the Morningstar HQ vehicle, a Minion can be a very handy tool to have around in a network indeed- so long as you're careful about it.

As usual, we start by cracking the bonnet to see the engine. A Nissan fusion engine propels the 20-ton Minion to 9/14, a very handy speed for a vehicle in this role. It also includes heat sinks, which we'll need for weapons. At this point, fusion engines were becoming more common on a vehicle, but the massive investment of an XL engine wasn't justified quite yet by the corporations involved in this- since it would only save a couple of tons, that's probably okay. The result here is that the Minion has the speed it needs to rapidly redeploy to a position for its C3 spotting job- or away from a danger spot- with ease, and can even afford a couple of dings to the motive system and still get away if things really go pear-shaped.

Five and a half tons of Durallex armor give the Minion a surprisingly tough skin for a 20-ton vehicle- our Kali Yama test is usually an insta-kill on the test vehicle, but here it holds up nicely. 28 points cover the front, important since that's the end pointed at the enemy generally. Another 22 points cover each side, enough to withstand the cannon- if only barely. A 'mere' sixteen points give the rear protection against a stray Gauss slug as the Minion runs for cover. It's no Alacorn, but Minions for their size are tough to kill- and remember, that armor is boosted by high movement modifiers (because a slow-moving Minion is a bad idea). You'll have to work to drop a Minion.

Coming back from the plucky little shoe-shaped tank are a pair of Defiance medium pulse las- wait, did that say Defiance? During the civil war? Well that's interesting, isn't it? Anyway, yes, those are two medium pulse lasers in the nose, normally weapons the author is not a fan of. Here though, you're likely sneaking into their range for C3 spotting anyway, so it's not the worst idea. The engine's heat sinks are used nicely by the lasers, which provide a pretty solid punch at a target to help with whatever the rest of the network pasted the target with, and prove handy for scout-hunting in case you need your Minion to hunt down a pesky Stinger or something along those lines. Obviously, the main 'weapon' is the C3 slave module in the body. Note that without a turret, the lasers are forced to fire forward- perhaps not an optimal situation in the kind of swirling bar-brawl fighting that the Civil War brought about so often.

So, it's time to talk about variants. We start with a postwar design from Ceres- with the Tikonov production site in Capellan hands, and Liao not being a big user of C3, the design had the module swapped out for a TAG spotting laser. Simple change, but makes for a really nasty little spotter for the Capellan Catapults in the rear areas. It also makes for a handy battle taxi for Fa Shih suits, able to dash in, drop the suits, and zip away with ease- and maybe help drop Arrow rounds on the way. The author found this to be a really handy unit to play with.

Not nearly as handy was the Kathil post-war version that dropped the C3 for a targeting computer. While that means a -3 to-hit number between the lasers' abilities and the computer, the lack of range was a problem in testing- while it's still able to hunt down scouts with ease, it wasn't as handy as the other two models were. Nifty little raider, and unlike the others it doesn't rely on working with a team. But this one just wasn't as useful.

Those familiar with my canonized designs know that I'm an anti-infantry war criminal at heart. So the Gauss version of the Minion caused some chuckling. The C3 and both lasers are removed this time, in favor of EIGHT Magshot rifles sharing a ton of ammo. Yeeeeow. Enemy infantry and battle armor suits, beware! This also gives a bit more range to the weapons, which is nice. Ammo runs a bit short though between eight rifles- so using this away from supply lines is a bad idea. But if you're dealing with enemy battle armor pushing at an LZ/important site, or perhaps angry rioters, this is a handy ride indeed.

One more variant exists, courtesy of XTRO: Gladiators. The 'Silver Bullet' is, of all things, a racing vehicle brought to us by the Outworlds Alliance. Seriously.  shoves an XL engine into the beast, bumping it to 11/17. The armor weight remains the same, but becomes nifty reflective armor- pretty nice on a battlefield featuring an increasing number of pulse lasers to zap fast-moving vehicles. (Of note, it appears there's two points of phantom armor added to the rear). The weapon loadout keeps one of the original pulse lasers, but adds a Clan-made targeting computer to it, courtesy of Clan Snow Raven. A laser AMS gets tossed in as well to keep missiles away from that new shiny armor. While this is a one-off unit, it's intriguing for sure- hard to kill, for sure, but not much beyond that in terms of usefulness overall. No word on whether it ever won any races.

So, Minions tend to be quick, tough, and depending on the model have varied usefulness. Ever used one? Got ideas for their use? Any ideas how you'd modify these things for your own use? Get to it, people.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: VotW: Minion Advanced Tactical Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2015, 11:04:55 »
I did put in a request a while back  :D

Minions are fun.  Evil.  You are the flanker and harasser and help larger units on the battlefield do their thing.  Or try to act as bait/annoyance to draw their fire and hope your speed can overcome their shots.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2015, 11:11:07 »
Never seen that one. Pretty sure about that, I would remember it's looks.
It seems to have it's uses, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2015, 11:14:40 »
Not that sold on the Gauss model as an anti-infantry unit. Okay, range goes up a bit and I can potentially drop up to eight troopers instead of "just" six with the two medium pulses...but MagShots still aren't exactly APGRs, and I lose the pulse bonus to actually hit. Could, however, make a nasty surprise to other vehicles provided it gets into range (up to eight chances to score motive system damage on a good volley from an attacker this light? Yikes!).

And so it apparently turns out that even the racing vehicles in the BattleTech universe are armed. Why am I not surprised? :)

No special opinion on the more "standard" models. The pulse lasers being both short-ranged and forward-mounted hurts the Minion to some extent since it means it needs to spend precious MP to point itself at whichever enemy it's actually trying to hit, all while getting rather dangerously close itself; better hope that target also has somebody else to shoot at. I'd really value these more for their respective spotting functions than their firepower, which makes the targeting computer variant in particular kind of "meh"; for good or ill, these aren't the days when that model could have made potentially pretty dangerous aimed pulse shots at somebody's rear torso anymore.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2015, 12:42:59 »
Yeah, call me totally unimpressed with the Magshot variant.  Magshots have no inherent anti-infantry component, besides the anti-infantry component inherent in shoot a lot of anything.  What it is good for, however, is sandblasting targets' rear armor with that speed.  Eight hits is looking for a lot of crit chances.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 04:08:27 »
One big issue with the original variant is you really have to decide between spotting and shooting if there's ECM on the board. While its not that big of a deal early on in its existence, once ECM proliferates during the Jihad the weaponry doesn't really allow it to scoot in close to use it while spotting, it needs to hang back. I'm sort of surprised we don't see a variant utilizing C3, but with ranged weaponry that allows it to dance outside of ECM range and still providing spotting, while also allowing it to shoot.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 05:03:42 »
I'll second the evil comment, it's easy to overlook these things when you have ECM because of the short range and because it's small, but that makes it easier for the thing to slip in and backstab a unit at a critical moment.

Then if attention does come their way you're vulnerable to whatever is shooting up your front.

Haven't tried the Magshot variant yet, on the one hand that many Magshots seems like overkill, but eight of anything is hard to ignore.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2015, 08:18:08 »
Just think of it as having a pair of SRM-4s, but not having to use the cluster table for them.

Good news and bad. That's a handy thing to have. It's also ammo-thin, can't use SRM ammo types... punt.

(But I bet it looks cool!

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2015, 08:35:19 »
For the TC variant, the -3 to-hot you're getting neatly cancels out the +3 for a called shot.  In effect, you can aim high all the time for normal TNs.  Especially if you get in behind a lighter mech with thin rear armor, that can be a big help quickly.  But even against a heavily armored assault mech the improved chance of a head shot probably makes it worth it in a lot of situations.

It would be nice if there was a variant that could either shoot from outside the ECM bubble, or carry ECCM.  I also wish you could fit two MXPLs on it, but the extra hear sinks they necessitate mean dropping the electronics and freeing up another ton somewhere.  HFF?  LFE?  Not sure it'd be worth it.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2015, 10:45:18 »
It would be nice if there was a variant that could either shoot from outside the ECM bubble, or carry ECCM.  I also wish you could fit two MXPLs on it, but the extra hear sinks they necessitate mean dropping the electronics and freeing up another ton somewhere.  HFF?  LFE?  Not sure it'd be worth it.

I played with some ideas like that- and you're right, it just ends up not being worth the trouble. I went to an XL engine (since I wasn't sure how much access the FedSuns had to the LFE during the Civil War/early Jihad) and even was able to come up with a jerk version packing a Clan ER large laser, but none of those ideas panned into something worth the enormous cost- and usually they suffered in terms of armor for the effort.

+Crow T. Robot+

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2015, 11:42:15 »
I can't even recall if I got to pick the Minion or it was picked for me for XTRO Gladiator. I think it was me, because it was such a challenge to do something unique with it and I love challenges.

It wasn't a standard racing sled. It was designed for autoduel type races where killing your opponent is an equally valid tactic.

Given the advanced tech on it is not all that unusual, possible the Raven Alliance put this to use in more numbers later. I'll have to look into that.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2015, 22:05:12 »
For the TC variant, the -3 to-hot you're getting neatly cancels out the +3 for a called shot.  In effect, you can aim high all the time for normal TNs.  Especially if you get in behind a lighter mech with thin rear armor, that can be a big help quickly.  But even against a heavily armored assault mech the improved chance of a head shot probably makes it worth it in a lot of situations.

While pulse lasers don't get called shots, the ability to flank and run a -1-to-hit is still a potent weapon.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClicxOsZ8K8".
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2015, 22:23:32 »
the deadlist doostop you can find on the battlefield. (i don't trust you people not to chime in with some kind of assassin's footjamb)

it's not nothing really going for it in terms of looks, but when this is what you sacrifice style for i see no reason to complain. have to assume the pilots are lying on their bellies to get into that cockpit though......
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2015, 00:44:15 »
While pulse lasers don't get called shots, the ability to flank and run a -1-to-hit is still a potent weapon.

Pulse lasers don't get to make aimed shots specifically in conjunction with a targeting computer. (They do against immobile targets, mind.) The TacOps Called Shots optional rule, though, is explicitly good for "any attack", so pulse lasers are cleared for that and if they hit (with the +/-3 cancelling out in our particular case here) get to roll on the Shot from Above table if pointed "high" just like anything else. Good catch, actually -- I don't normally use that rule much, so I hadn't thought of it, but going that route on a classic backstab and then hitting means a 50/50 chance of hitting the head or a rear side torso (with the other 50% going to the arms and CT). So probably worth it against target 'Mechs that you don't need the -3 too badly to just connect with in the first place.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2015, 05:45:07 »
Hmmmm. A rear torso, you say... on something that would be easy to hit anyway since it's not moving much... and the neighbors use so many things like Arrow-armed Catapults and O-Bakemonos...

+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2015, 06:38:35 »
Thank you for the write up,  sadly i don't appreciate the vehicle as much.  It's just too short range on a vehicle that wants stay alive in combat.  Speed helps, but it's expensive pillar box waiting to happen unless the TacOps optional vehicle rules are used.  Then it has a rough chance getting out of dodge or skimmering away.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2015, 10:23:06 »
Thank you for the write up,  sadly i don't appreciate the vehicle as much.  It's just too short range on a vehicle that wants stay alive in combat.  Speed helps, but it's expensive pillar box waiting to happen unless the TacOps optional vehicle rules are used.  Then it has a rough chance getting out of dodge or skimmering away.

As flavorless as it sounds, perhaps three standard mediums kept in a low-slung turret would be a better bet then? I'm fine with either short-range OR having the guns fixed forward, but both is a bit of a killer, for sure.

(Side note: While writing the article, every time I typed or read the word 'Minion' I heard Claptrap's voice from Borderlands in my head calling me 'minion' cheerfully. I resisted the urge to claw my brain out of my skull to slap it for this.)

+Crow T. Robot+

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2015, 11:05:26 »
I'm of the firm opinion that every game that includes vehicles should be played with TacOps rules.
Still, a Hovercraft should have the speed to turn a little after a dash. What could possibly happen?  :))
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2015, 11:38:56 »
I'm of the firm opinion that every game that includes vehicles should be played with TacOps rules.
Still, a Hovercraft should have the speed to turn a little after a dash. What could possibly happen?  :))

A C3-capable, MPL-armed treehouse, in my experiences.  ;D

+Crow T. Robot+

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2015, 12:06:15 »
So is the factory paint job on these blue and yellow? Perhaps even...banana? ;)
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2015, 12:12:43 »
TacOps vehicle effectiveness rules do make vehicles a good bit tougher at no cost in BV whatsoever, true. ;) Not invincible by a long shot...but a fair bit less dependent on sheer luck just to survive showing up on the battlefield.

That said, on reflection I wonder if 9/14 is not perhaps just a little slow yet for a light point-blank backstabber. Nine cruising MP aren't really that much for purposes of precision maneuvering right inside an enemy's prospective short-range brackets, and flanking risks sideslips or else putting me out of position if I just spin-and-zoom in straight lines to avoid those. Granted, to go faster I'd need either a bigger hovercraft (the suspension factor does take a jump going from 20 tons to 21) or a lighter engine...

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2015, 13:05:51 »
So is the factory paint job on these blue and yellow? Perhaps even...banana? ;)

Official Minion Operator's uniforms:
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2015, 17:17:33 »
 ;D   [applause] [applause] [applause]
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2015, 20:09:30 »
(Side note: While writing the article, every time I typed or read the word 'Minion' I heard Claptrap's voice from Borderlands in my head calling me 'minion' cheerfully. I resisted the urge to claw my brain out of my skull to slap it for this.)

(You're much uglier than he remembered, but that's okay because people love him!  Right?  Right???)

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2015, 17:07:31 »
talk about being the coolest kid in school!  8)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2015, 17:23:58 »

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Edit: How does one resize image tag stuff. :/

Register