Author Topic: VotW: DI Morgan Assault Tank  (Read 9779 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
VotW: DI Morgan Assault Tank
« on: 01 June 2015, 11:28:39 »

Getting in some good requests this week- but please, if you do make a request, check the fan article directory thread first and make sure it hasn't been done recently. I had requests for vehicles done in very recent memory- one requested the Destrier even! I'll do my best to cover requests, but if it's been done in the past couple of years I'm not going to rehash an existing article like that. Today, however, is a request that was covered several years ago in 2008, but no longer available on the forums, the DI Morgan.

The tired, overused trope about Steiner is that everything is 100 tons, Zeuses are scout Mechs, we outmaneuver most fortifications, and so on. It's funny (in doses), but it's also got more than just a grain of truth to it. Lyran forces tend to lean towards the chubby side of things- but when you build so many big Mechs and tanks, you get good at it. The results speak for themselves, and few speak with the authority of one of their recent additions to the LAAF/LCAF, the DI Morgan. Based on a captured Blakist design, Defiance has another hit on their hands here- but is it a worthy successor to past heavy armor stalwarts? The answers are a little surprising.

Morgans, named for the great Morgan Hasek-Davion (noted as being the last time the Lyran people looked to a Davion with any pride), are intended to replace the classic and beloved Schrek PPC carrier in service, and it's hard to look at the two and not see a family resemblance... other than the increase in size, up to the 100 ton standard. We start with the engine, as we usually do here, and find that the Lyrans spared no expense here- a 300XL fusion engine powers the massive beast to a 3/5 movement curve. You're going to be slow, but at 100 tons you expect to be. The important thing is that you're not getting left behind, it can keep up with a steady advance. You can't ask much more than that from a big tank- and while that engine is a big investment, it's a worthwhile one here. Making this tank work with a standard fusion just doesn't really pan out. (I tried.)

A surprise is in store for those accustomed to other giant tanks, used to shrugging off fire from Demolisher IIs and Alacorns like it's their hobby. The Morgan's armor is surprisingly thin for its size. It's no tissue-tank, mind you- the AC-20 test is passed with ease. 57 points up front is no laughing matter, the turret and sides can take two shots from the test gun and still hold, at 41 points each. The rear has a worrying 28 points to add on- which really, when you look at it, is pretty light overall. Ten and a half tons of ferro is about half to two-thirds what you see on other tanks this size. This isn't a tank you want in the front lines- it's a support unit, and if it's taking a lot of fire you did something wrong. Don't test that armor if you don't have to.

So where's the beef? We used an XL engine to save weight, we skimped on armor, where the hell is all that weight we saved? Let's look in the turret first. Three Defiance 1001 ER PPCs sit in the turret in a rounded battleship-looking array. The Schrek's famous barrage lives again- and with added range to boot! With good range, impressive punch, and no need for ammunition, a Morgan is a fearsome beast. The twin MGs (sharing a half ton of ammo) are handy as well, keeping dangerous infantry ambushes at bay. That weight we were missing turned up though as part of the show- with a vehicle needing to have a heat sink for each point of heat its energy weapons can produce, and only ten being in that fusion engine, a full thirty-five tons of heat sinks had to be installed. Think about that for a moment- we installed an entire Panther's weight in heat sinks on this to make it work. And that's a problem- because as good as a three- ER PPC barrage is, one can't help but park an Alacorn nearby and look at those three Gauss rifles. When the heat sinks factor in, we get similar range, 50% more firepower per gun, and even less weight overall, at the cost of having to track ammunition. Is it worth it for the Morgan? Honestly... not really, no. Unless you're really worried about supply lines, the Alacorn is just the better bet here.

It appears that concern was shared by others- while the LAAF frantically put Morgans into service during the dark days of the Jihad to replace losses, they could afford to do so. Other units were stymied by the massive price tag, causing Defiance to come up with a financing plan- one that could see a unit making payments on a Morgan they'd lost years before. So unlike the Schrek, the Morgan got a couple of variants to both give new capabilities and to boost sales. With both removing the PPCs, the stack of heat sinks could go as well, and what was left was a cavernous space to install everything short of a naval battery.

Our first variant becomes the LRM battery from hell. Four LRM-20s are parked in the turret, each one with an Artemis IV computer attached. For those keeping score, no LRM-boat vehicle can throw more missiles per turn than this Morgan can, other than the heavy LRM carrier- and this is far more capable, in terms of speed and added tricks like the Artemis. Other tricks include a C3 slave module, begging for a good spotter to rush up and make those missiles hit. The MGs and their ammo are gone, replaced by a pair of ER medium lasers to keep the tank safe from harassing units. CASE was also installed to keep the eight-ton ammo bay from destroying the tank if things went pear-shaped on the Morgan. Overall, this is a fantastic vehicle, far better overall than its PPC-armed cousin. The ammo load is barely adequate, but what it lacks in staying power it makes up for in sheer weight of shot- this is a vehicle that should be in every assault formation one can find room for it in. Combining a couple of them with a fast C3 carrier (I used an Ostscout) and a master/bodyguard (a Morningstar worked well) was just blissfully fun. If you want to use a Morgan, make it this one.

A bit less useful was the third version, in which the three-gun turret of the original returned... with a twist. The PPCs are replaced here with Gauss rifles, which of course is what made the Alacorn a better tank overall for the money than a Morgan in the first place. Defiance learned! The usual two tons per rifle is plenty for most engagements, and the MGs are back as well with their half-ton of ammo. We even kept the C3 slave module of the LRM variant! Everything is awesome, thank you for this- wait, something's weird here. See, now we have a targeting computer, improving the accuracy of those rifles. Sounds great, but... to do that, some serious sacrifices had to be made, and you're not going to like them. The engine dropped to a 200XL, and the speed thus is now 2/3- wholly inadequate for almost any offensive operation and barely enough to get to a firing position when you're on the defensive side of things. One could almost excuse that if the tank were a bit tougher, but when we look at the armor we see that the layer has been cut down by a couple of tons, leaving us with an even less durable tank than before. Combine a tank that has a ridiculously powerful, accurate punch with an inability to get a movement modifier, thin armor, and no ability to escape if overrun, and this Morgan is going to struggle to get more than a couple of turns worth of fire in before massed fire wipes it out- if your enemy lets your Gauss Morgan remain alive longer than that, he deserves to lose. This is, sadly, an idea that just fails in use despite the obvious firepower.

So, there you have it.  Three variants- one flawed but useful, one a titan of epic proportions, and one that is little more than throwing money away. Give it a try and see what you think, and tell us how it goes. And of course, if you have ideas how to improve Morgans, please discuss as well- and build your ideas on the Fan Designs area so we can see them! Plasma weapons? Artillery cannons? Thunderbolt missiles? Sound off, let's see what you've got.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: VotW: DI Morgan Assault Tank
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2015, 12:01:48 »
I cynically enjoy the ERPPC DI Morgan for one good reason: it has an amazing BV for what it does.  The combination of a XL engine (not any more dangerous for a tank than a standard Fusion) and 35 single heat sinks both frees up and eats up lots of tonnage with minimal BV impact.  What you end up getting is a tank that has very good armor for Schrek or Ontos LGR, which is what the DI Morgan really is.  Not an Alacorn competitor.

To me, the DI Morgan is not about being good for it's weight, as so much as effective as a combat unit.  For the most part is is effective.  The ERPPCs allow it to fire indefinitely at the worst to-hit modifiers you can get.  It is vulnerable to engine destruction which will render it completely harmless.    On the other hand, the GR and LRM variants have their own crosses to bear in the form of weapon and ammo crits respectively.  The ERPPC version can and "should" keep the MG ammo bins empty to avoid being vulnerable to both engine and ammo explosions.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2015, 12:06:53 »
From the fluff, it was written up Defiance was needing to something to replace the Alacorn and SturmFeur and Schrek.

DI Morgan was the thing to fill the bill.  Pretty snazzy, but super expensive replacement.

I was fascinated by EisenJäger noted as Notable Unit for the DI Morgan, since they had to be pretty interesting group to be hot enough survive Tharkad in tanks and be shipped off to Stone since he dumping pool for troublemakers. I wonder how they faired with their some Gauss variant of DI Morgans in their ranks.

Thanks for revisiting the vehicle, Jadehellbringer!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2015, 12:10:11 »
This vehicle sums up the problem I have with too many designs - what purpose does it serve in-universe that was not already served by other tested and manufactured designs, like the Alacorn? Why would Defiance Industries not just license (or reverse engineer/steal, as it's used by an enemy) the Alacorn and get to making replacements immediately, instead of spending years fiddling around with a new and potentially worthless design?

In this case, though, the answer is thankfully the Dark Ages, not more meaningless TRO-padding. The basic specs were set down in the clickygame, and the 3075 writers were stuck interpreting them

Never used it, though I could - the handy thing about having three tanks that are basically the same visually (Shrek, this, and Alacorn) is that it gives you tabletop variety without breaking the bank.

In Alpha Strike the Di Morgan (LRM) is hands-down the nastiest long range design you can get for a C3 company; at a damage of 5/8/7, it is brutal. Very few IS units break 5 points of damage, even assault 'Mechs, and stacking that up with a C3 situation where Long range is treated as Short? Just awesome.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2015, 12:35:24 »
3 ER PPCs and enough armor to take a hit from a Heavy Gauss sounds like a good tank to me.

With the name like the DI Morgan, I got to wonder how many the FS had imported.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2015, 12:45:13 »
From the fluff, it was written up Defiance was needing to something to replace the Alacorn and SturmFeur and Schrek.

DI Morgan was the thing to fill the bill.  Pretty snazzy, but super expensive replacement.

The C-Bill cost is actually fairly close to that of an Alacorn.  The BV is 460 less.  This is one of those cases where depending on how you play your games it can be better or worse than the Alacorn.

This vehicle sums up the problem I have with too many designs - what purpose does it serve in-universe that was not already served by other tested and manufactured designs, like the Alacorn? Why would Defiance Industries not just license (or reverse engineer/steal, as it's used by an enemy) the Alacorn and get to making replacements immediately, instead of spending years fiddling around with a new and potentially worthless design?

This is Defiance we're talking about.  This is a company that decided it was a good idea to build the Fortune and the Demolisher II for the same military.  If there is a buck to be made off the LCAF Defiance will build it.

For practical purposes, the DI Morgan uses the same GM 300 XL engine used in DI's Uziel.  The 95 ton design of the Alacorn uses a 285 XL found on fewer, non DI designs.  Say what you want about the Lyran fascination with 100 tonners.  When they all have common engine ratings it makes things easier on repair crews to jam in a replacement.

In this case, though, the answer is thankfully the Dark Ages, not more meaningless TRO-padding. The basic specs were set down in the clickygame, and the 3075 writers were stuck interpreting them

Also this  O0
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2015, 13:26:42 »
Well, I do suppose that simplifying your supply chain is a very valid concern that would make the DI Morgan make more sense. What else uses the 300XL... several 100-tonners, more than a few 75-tonners, some 60-tons... If you had to pick one engine size to put R&D into and keep making, the 300XL is logical.

I mean, I had nothing against the DI Morgan anyway, but it's my fanboy instincts that question why something new is made when there exists something which could have been modified or rebuilt.

I never understood why new TROs had to be 'new' 'Mechs every time. Why not have new art and new versions of older 'Mechs proven to be fan favorites in a new TRO, sprinkled with new background information and famous pilots? Sort of like putting the Project Phoenix 'Mechs into TRO 3067 directly instead of a separate book.

Though apparently 3145 does that, kind of, with the new tech, new upgrades section. Don't know, haven't been able to afford it yet.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2015, 13:33:35 »
Beautiful fortification tank.
A little frail for a Lyran design, but firepower demands space. So sad you can't put HGRs on a turret in <=100 ton units.
In direct comparison, I guess the Gauss Version fell prey to Kelswas in the Dark Age.
The LRM version is definitely the LRM carrier the Lyrans had to have.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2015, 13:42:55 »
I never understood why new TROs had to be 'new' 'Mechs every time. Why not have new art and new versions of older 'Mechs proven to be fan favorites in a new TRO, sprinkled with new background information and famous pilots? Sort of like putting the Project Phoenix 'Mechs into TRO 3067 directly instead of a separate book.

I not fond of this sort of thing for the same reasons, though.  Recycling the same chasis over and over becomes tiresome.  I like new units because even the arbitrary new imagery and name helps to avoid variant bloat.  The number of Warhammer variants alone is staggering.  After about 7 or so variants they all start to blur together for me.  Thankfully, the instances of widespread mech usage like the Reseen are few and the need for so many variants of a single chasis is not as high.

Plus, reusing old chasis denies us the opportunity for new artwork and models.

Now back on topic!  ;)
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2015, 14:26:49 »
The standard and LRM variants are very admirable. Like some others I see the Morgan Standard as a Schrek replacement, not an Alacorn rival. 

The Gauss version should never have rolled off the lines. We can only hope someday they get a clue and create an update that goes back to the Standard as the base and gives up on the shiny targeting computer.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2015, 14:29:39 »
Think of the market share the schrek will get as a budget vehicle
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2015, 15:21:40 »
That's probably the best missile tank in the game right there.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2015, 15:43:58 »
I can see DI sales reps pressuring the LCAF to buy ready made armor lances of Manticores and DI Morgans on the basis of C3 lances.  Maybe a Gürteltier acting as the Master in place of a Manticore.

As for what other spammy guns could be put on... yeah plasma works.  But, I think that sort of thing, given the range is best reserved on a quicker unit or one that is linked to C3 by default.  4 UAC-10s might be fun, too.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2015, 15:57:47 »

IIRC, wasn't the Alacorn factory seized by WoB fairly early on?  (Well, WoB did seize DefHes for a number of years too...)

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2015, 16:23:33 »
I'd have liked to see a variant with 1 ER PPC and 2 Gauss Rifles- dropping 2 ER PPCs frees up 44(!) tons to work with.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2015, 16:26:30 »
I can see DI sales reps pressuring the LCAF to buy ready made armor lances of Manticores and DI Morgans on the basis of C3 lances.  Maybe a Gürteltier acting as the Master in place of a Manticore.

As for what other spammy guns could be put on... yeah plasma works.  But, I think that sort of thing, given the range is best reserved on a quicker unit or one that is linked to C3 by default.  4 UAC-10s might be fun, too.

ULTRAS? Pah. Four LB-10X, and I can make air squadrons wither. Like a Partisan given a diet of steroids, baked beans, and pure hatred... and then letting it see someone kick its puppy.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2015, 16:30:31 »
ULTRAS? Pah. Four LB-10X, and I can make air squadrons wither. Like a Partisan given a diet of steroids, baked beans, and pure hatred... and then letting it see someone kick its puppy.

You'd also have a rather nasty anti-tank tank there ;)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2015, 16:43:17 »
Somehow I find myself thinking "you know, a couple of Snipers, some decently deep ammo bins for them...". Would probably even still have some tons left over, but I can't think of what to potentially spend them on at the moment. Just as well, perhaps. :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2015, 17:45:23 »
From the fluff, it was written up Defiance was needing to something to replace the ... SturmFeur

Something to replace two Sturmfuers!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2015, 18:26:13 »

Replacing a pair of giant tanks with a single giant tank is just good business.

See, THIS is how the Lyrans got talked into drawing down their military by Stone- less units, same firepower.  ^-^

+Crow T. Robot+

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2015, 18:52:07 »
You can also create a version of Missile Launcher variant that swaps out the LRM-20s for MML-5s. You get a missile boat vehicle that can create a serious Thunder Munition no go zone for conventional forces, provide fire support that laughs at AMS, and then tells enemy units trying close with the it to "Come at Me, Bro!"
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2015, 19:14:44 »

Half the dropships!

Seriously.  We're quibbling over the cost of a LCAF tank?  Overspending is very intentional.  No one can say our boys and girls are wanting for equipment.  Leadership, yes.  Willingness to spend?  No.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2015, 19:22:38 »
Half the dropships!

Seriously.  We're quibbling over the cost of a LCAF tank?  Overspending is very intentional.  No one can say our boys and girls are wanting for equipment.  Leadership, yes.  Willingness to spend?  No.

Well... as I noted in the article, the Lyrans don't mind so much. But exporting to merc units and such seems to be causing some raised eyebrows and odd payment situations.

+Crow T. Robot+

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2015, 21:49:08 »
The problem with the Gauss version is the Targeting Computer. I don't think it adds enough to be worth the weight.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2015, 22:01:53 »
It very much does not- 12 tons!

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2015, 23:03:35 »
Definitely agree. But you know what? Apollo's Law does NOT apply to the Morgan. Changing the loadout for Clan weaponry not only saves several tons straight-up, but also reduces the computer's size- enough to make that engine size come back up.

Remember: Apollo's Law (which I still believe is my greatest contribution to Battletech, even ahead of Hellbie Dice) states that if it needs Clan tech to be made useable, it isn't worth upgrading with Clan tech to begin with. But here? Ohhhhhh mama, does that make for a better tank. I actually do approve of this kind of upgrade.

...but probably not gonna do it anyway because I don't have enough energy to work on it right now.

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2015, 23:18:07 »
Switching to Clan weaponry would save 9 tons from the GRs themselves (36 tons vs 45), plus another 4 tons on the TC (8 tons vs 12, between the reduced weapon tonnage and more efficient Clan TC), for a total of 13 tons saved.  Counting the 2 ER Medium Lasers and assuming 6 tons of Gauss ammo, you'd be at a lower tonnage devoted to weaponry than the DI Morgan ER PPC variant, so you could match its performance and still have options leftover.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #27 on: 02 June 2015, 01:12:01 »
The DI Morgan is a nice mini for the as stated warship turret look.  I do think a 1 GR & 2 ERPPC version would be useful with added armor & electronics.  Or reverse it.  This is a more viable option and I wish it rolled off the Defiance lines.

With that said, what would it be like copying the Drac tank that was sporting hardened armor?  Would it make enough difference over the HFF?

I had one topic months ago discussing mercs in the 3130s swapping the ERPPCs for cERPPC or cERLL with mass going to armor.  The cERLL open up more options for weight & range while the 3 tons and 50% increase in firepower from the cERPPCs make things a bit more interesting.  I figure we might see a DI Morgan C being used by the Horses along these lines. 
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #28 on: 02 June 2015, 01:23:45 »
Forget cERLL, it'd be cLPL for me all the way!

In the meantime I shall just have to be happy with the LRM version, while trying to figure out which bits to use to mod it. Two of the LRM packs from the JES III could fit, and would look good enough despite being low on actual tubes. In fact, I'm picturing the LRM tubes in a sorta-Mars-like array on the back of the turret, rather than the non-existant rear hull.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 02 June 2015, 01:27:39 »
How well could you splice the turret of the Heavy LRM Carrier onto the Morgan's turret?

Register