Author Topic: Alpha Strike Guide: Air-to-Ground Tactics, or Murdering Mudfoots Maliciously.  (Read 9613 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
AIR TO GROUND TACTICS
or
Murdering Multiple Mudfoots Mercilessly

One of the greatest things about Alpha Strike is the ease with which aerospace assets are added to a force and actually used. If you've ever wanted to add ASFs to your game, need to counter them effectively, or just turn the Thrust up to 11, than this is the article for you.

If you're worried about the price, then I have good news for you: Microfighters from the Iron Wind Metals site are literally 30-50 cents, fit perfectly into the printout of the Radar Map, are detailed, and adorable. Here:

That's maybe a quarter of an inch long Cheetah. kawaii!

Now back to doom and destruction. Air to ground tactics can be summed up in five simple words: Light fighters rule, everything else gets schooled. Oh, there are exceptions, but for multiple reasons it's best to leave that Hydaspes or Eisensturm in the hangar when choosing ground support roles.

SPEED
In Alpha Strike, there are only three speeds that matter: 10 Thrust, 10 Thrust while carrying a full BOMB load, and everything else. This is because 10 Thrust is the minimum for moving two Zones, meaning the AF makes its first ground attack during Turn 2 and can make a ground attack run every turn.

Slower AFs will arrive Turn 4 and simply moving from the Central Zone to the Inner Ring after a ground attack use their only Zone movement; in other words, they are only in combat for less than half the length of an average game.

Likewise, "Fast as possible" also matters for air-to-air engagements, because both potentially engaging AFs have to end movement in the same Zone, meaning not even Fast Dogfighters can catch an Interceptor except in the Central Zone. Also, during an AtA engagement, the AF adds half its current Thrust to its Skill roll in order to determine who has air superiority and dictates the range combat takes place in - somewhat important if one AF has no Long damage or if one has five points of Short.

Does this add up to a compelling reason to type Interceptor into that Role box and ignore everything else? Not yet, but before we go onto the benefits of ground attack, we're going to cover the risks.

A VERY EXPENSIVE LAWN-DART
When entering the Central Zone, which board edge the AF 'enters' from is dictated by the Inner Ring Zone from which it moved. For most practical purposes, this means that the first run is usually from your own board edge, but can be angled in any direction you choose, and the AF can move from the Central Zone into any Inner Ring Zone you desire after the first run.

However, the AF has to move in a clearly marked straight line from one Edge to another of which the minimum length is 24". Any ground unit within 2" of that line can choose to fire at that AF during the Combat Phase as though it were at Short Range. Other ground units measure to the closest point of the flight path and add 12" to their range, which usually means Medium at minimum. The only other modifiers applied to the ground-to-air roll is a measly +2 unless the firing unit is impaired.

The reason that's a big deal, especially with the units under the flight line, is that any damage forces a Skill roll at +2 (for the thick atmo) to see if the AF maintains control. If the AF fails, then it drops one Zone - not a big deal elsewhere, but in the Central Zone it's immediately fatal.

This is another reason that favors Interceptors, as a minimum 3 Skill is what you'll want and they aren't so expensive to upgrade, and if they DO crash you aren't out a ton of points.

The other big risk, especially with lighter AFs, is Threshold. Any amount of damage over this number causes an automatic Critical Hit regardless of remaining armor, and can cause a second crit if into an AF's Structure. For Interceptors, the damage is usually 2 or 3. This may seem like a good reason to invest in heavier AFs, but more AFs fall to lawndarting than to crits - a Skill 4 AF will fail a lawndart check 5/18 times, while a crit will kill an AF 1/18 times. It should be noted, though, that the lawndart check is only once a turn, whereas the crit chance is every time it's hit and the hit is over Threshold.

To completely ignore the odds of crashing (and validate a high Threshold AF) you'd need to upgrade an AF's Skill to 2 and take the Wind Walker SPA. On the one hand, that's a reasonable price to protect the investment, but on the other, it's a lot to pay for a unit that won't arrive til turn 4 and will only be able to attack every other turn.

So, for these two reasons - speed of engagement and high chance of losing any ground attack AF outright - I endorse Interceptors over everything else. The exceptions I'll discuss later.

So, now that we've discussed the bad things that can happen, what's the good? Well, a lot. It may be high-risk, but it's also high-reward.

GROUND ATTACK
There are four attacks that an AF can make: Dive Bombing, Altitude Bombing, Striking, and Strafing. Striking and Dive Bombing are single-target attacks (and are easier to accomplish), whereas Altitude Bombing and Strafing can hit multiple times along the flight path. However, both are limited; Altitude Bombing can only drop as many bombs as the BOMB Special on the AF, and Strafing can only target a 10"x2" template. Yeah, 'only'.

Also of note is that bombing work like artillery, meaning it ignores the TMM of targeted units; this does make them good at devastating lights. Bombing can scatter; while Dive Bombing can scatter in all six directions, Altitude Bombing only scatters forward along the flightline, making it somewhat safer. Therefore, use Altitude Bombing if you're targeting something close to your own lines, but otherwise dive the heck out of it!

Strafing is a bit more complicated; the AF makes an attack against every unit in the template. If the AF has ENE, it deals its full Short damage against each unit; if it does not have ENE, it halves its Short damage. If the unit chooses to use its OV value, the OV is added after the damage is halved. This means that ENE fighters are more valuable than the opposite, and Short range rules over everything else.

Altitude Bombing is the one time that I don't  advocate using an Interceptor (because they can only carry one bomb!), but in this case you need to go the total opposite. Find a cheap Attack AF, load it up with bombs, and send it in on a run. Despite not arriving til turn 4, the amount of destruction and/or Heat caused by four bombs is worth it, and they scatter away from your frontline. Because using BOMB doesn't add any PV to an AF, it's quite effective. For post-bombing considerations (provided it survives its attack run), there are several Size 4 AFs which have significant OV values; because they have to loiter in the Inner Ring for at least one turn that gives a chance to cool before moving in for another attack run. The Thunderbird D36 is a textbook example.

BOMB TYPES
Although it should be obvious, all but one of the bombs are one-shot weapons, expended once dropped. I'll give tactics after discussing the bomb types.

High Explosive hits for 2 damage in a 4" diameter template - this can strip the armor off of lights and infantry entirely. A safe choice, but there are better.

Cluster has a massive 12" diameter, but only deals 1 damage to each unit in its AOE. That massive radius is as much a danger to you as others, so use with caution.

Inferno is the bee's knees. 2 Heat to all units that track Heat in the 4" AOE, and if they don't track Heat then it's just 2 damage. With Advanced rules, the AOE keeps burning for ten turns unless you drop it on water. Speaking of advanced rules...

Arrow IV suuuuck. Bombing is already better than artillery, why trade away one of your BOMB slots for an attack that does less and is harder to hit with? Air-to-Air Arrow IV might have some place in hunting Interceptors (where it'll pass the Threshold of the lightest AFs), but there are better uses for BOMB slots. Light Air-to-Air Arrow is in the same boat, but only does ONE damage - not enough to break Threshold on even the lightest targets.

Laser Guided is a strictly better HE Bomb. If a friendly paints a target with a TAG, then the bombing attack has a -2 TN; in all other respects it acts like an HE. If using advanced rules, you may as well take these instead of standard HE.

Rocket Launchers add 1 temporary damage per BOMB slot to a Strike, not Strafe, attack. I'm not sure I see the point versus HE, unless you want to build up some record-breaking single attack damage. A Hydaspes 2, using 3 OV, and carrying 4 Rockets, could deal 17 damage in a single Strike... instakill an Atlas, anyone?

TAG isn't a bomb, but rather adds TAG to the AF's Specials; in other words, it ain't gone after a single use and it can use this in addition to a Strike or Strafe, OR it can use it on another target somewhere in its flight path. Combine this with Laser-Guided, or on-board artillery, for some real fun...

Thunder deploy a 4" diameter conventional minefield per bomb dropped, at a whopping Density 4; in other words, the first detonation only takes a 6+ to trigger, and deals 4 damage the first time through. That can outright destroy many light units. Sadly, mines deal damage during the Movement phase, and only trigger when a unit enters them, so shenanigans like dropping a minefield on top of a unit does nothing.

Torpedos are something that I have not used, but the theory is that if you're hunting a watercraft, especially one of the superlarge kind, then prep torpedos. Though they only do 1 damage, each causes an automatic critical hit, making them invaluable against the superlarge craft that can carry 20+ armor points. Have they statted the Wyrm yet?

Infernos, in my book, trump the other choices. Speaking in MtG terms, it's a tempo play that sets your opponent off their game so you have more time for your own. Giving Heat to a unit that normally doesn't have it, or screwing with a dangerous TSM unit (forcing it to cool off entirely for one turn, then intentionally overheat the next, in order to get its bonus back) are valuable. Also, it acts like a normal HE against BA units riding OMNI, meaning that 95% of BA will be immediately in Forced Withdrawal when they dismount.

TAG can have value as well, especially with a light fighter painting targets for artillery that are out of LOS - avoiding those pesky Indirect Fire penalties.

Thunder Bombs are a tertiary choice, made if you have a ton of AFs and want to protect your flanks against fast movers - 4" means you can cover choke points nicely, or shield your C3M against a fast Fire Moth. Extra style points if you shout, "I'm flyin' low and I'm BRINGIN' THA THUNDER!" Or possibly, "Thunder. Thunder! THUNDERMINES, HO!"

It can be profitable for an Attack AF carrying four Cluster bombs to blanket a huge area; by the time the Attack AF arrives there will be SOME units stripped to Structure, so that's four critical rolls on multiple targets. Yes, you may hit your own, but because bombs move away from the flight line it's a safer bet than artillery.

THE PILOT SPECIAL ABILITIES
Because most AFs will have high Skill (to avoid crashing!) adding two or more PSAs to important fighters is usually no problem, and there are several good ones to consider.

Golden Goose is amazing for an Attack AF Altitude Bombing. Ground Hugger, combined with a high-damage ENE AF, can ruin an opponent's day. Lucky fills in any extra SPA points and can save an AF from crashing. Ride the Wash is... just too expensive versus one of the other SPAs with Lucky to fill in the cracks, but it does give you a free bonus 'attack' that can drive a dogfighting opponent down one zone - handy if the dogfight is taking place in the Central Zone, as many end up doing. Shaky Stick has saved several AFs at my table, but turning a +2 TMM into a +3 is kinda lame versus Wind Walker or Ground Hugger. Speed Demon turns the Corax, Poignard, ShadeBatu, Sulla, and the Experimental Corsair RIGID NIGHT into Interceptors - delightful, though I tend to avoid anything labeled Experimental in my games as a matter of taste. Wind Walker makes it a straight Skill roll for crashing, pretty good odds for a Skill 2 unit.

Overall, we've found that Ground Hugger and Shaky Stick is good for Interceptors, Speed Demon and Wind Walker on any Fast Dogfighter is good (Poignard-R3 will end friendships with dat Threshold and Armor keeping it alive), and Attack AFs are split between Golden Goose and Lucky (1) (to maximize the one bombing run and survive for a second pass) or Wind Walker and Lucky (2) (to survive for as long as possible without having to upgrade past Skill 3).

Note that , Interceptor Squadrons give the Speed Demon SPA to any units with Thrust 9 or less, though over half the squadron has to be Interceptors; so only 2 Fast Dogfighters turn into freebie Interceptors. This does mean bringing a full Squadron onto the table, which can get expensive even using dirt-cheap Interceptors to fill it out. *sigh* Darn Clans, needing 10 AFs instead of 6...

THE TACTICS
Okay, so now that you know what's best (Interceptors or really big Attack Fighters), the best Bombs (Infernos with a side of Thunder), and the nastiest PSAs (Lucky Lucky Lucky), how to use them?

First off, they're initiative sinks; you're gonna fly 'em as fast as possible for the Central Zone, so there's no surprises there. Move them first and give more chance to see what the opponent is up to.

Always drop bombs on the first pass - if using Thunders, then angle the flight path so you drop 'em over someplace vital (in the middle of a city is favorite). If you see a nice clump of assaults, it's worth potentially losing an Interceptor to delay them several turns; also, if there are light flankers angling to get around your defenses crippling their movement (and lowering their TMM next turn!) it's also a good bet for Infernos.

Any passes after the first are just a fringe benefit, and what should be done is a matter of necessity. Flight paths are plotted at the end of the Movement Phase, so you can always line up with the most vulnerable units. Canny opponents will see where your AFs will be entering the Central Zone from and try to avoid lining up his units; if you can, place an AF in each of the  Inner Rings, as it's your choice where they emerge from the Central Zone.

The choice between Striking and Strafing depends on what targets are available. ENE AFs should strafe whenever they can; it's only a +2 TN over Striking and the brown-pants factor of multiple targets being hit is enough to draw fire towards the AF that, perhaps, shouldn't be. Striking is more common with non-ENE AFs to maximize damage.

This is another function of AFs: they tend to draw a disproportionate amount of fire away from your groundpounders. Something about showing 'Mech jocks what Death From Above really is kinda frightens them.

COUNTERING FIGHTERS
But what if your friend is the one with the AFs, and you have no way to get rid of them? If you've been reading this guide, you've already got several nasty answers, but I'll spell them out for you here.

First of all, fight fire with fire, especially if he's in the habit of bringing big, slow fighters to the table - a couple of Interceptors can tie up his clunkers in dogfighting indefinitely, as it's a contested roll to end a dogfight if only one party wants it to go on, and an Interceptor is pretty unlikely to lose such a roll.

Second, use units with an FLK value. FLK basically gives a -2 TN against AF units, and even one point of damage causes a lawndart check.

Third, only a few Interceptors deal significant damage after the initial pass, so treat them as the bee-stings they (mostly) are and keep up with your own ground gameplan. If the opposing player drops an expensive fighter on you, or if it's a non-trivial amount of damage from an Interceptor, than by all means bring it down, particularly if you can break its Threshold and force crits.

Remember, Forced Withdrawal works on AFs as well. Fast AFs tend to have 5+ Structure and only 1-3 Armor, meaning that it's a high value to just keep flying them til they crash. Also, unlike other units, there's nothing for an AF to shoot at as it retreats. A player who's bought heavily into the Interceptor mantra will NOT want to use Forced Withdrawal, though we consider it pretty much mandatory at our table.

Is there still something about artillery being able to shoot into the Inner Zone? I misdoubt its usefulness unless it still retains the same TN in the Central Zone. Very few fighters will be loiiering in Inner, and with the reduced damage of artillery the worst that could happen is a zone change to Central, something most fighters would do anyway.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I love AFs, if not as much as 'Mechs, and I'm glad that it's so easily integrated into Alpha Strike without being overwhelming - though I will admit, multiple Interceptors slashing across the battlefield can be quite strong! I do wish that the tactics were less slanted towards one extreme or the other, but any modifications we've tried were disastrous.

As a final note, whoever's designing fighters for the Lyrans is a bloody munchkin. First the Eisensturm, now the Sturnensturm?! It's the only actual Interceptor with Threshold 3 and isn't too shabby at the Striking damage with S4. Thank the Maker there isn't a good ENE configuration, but it is an Omnifighter with 10 tons of pod space. 8 Medium Lasers + 2 DHS? Or 20 Small Lasers? I'm a depraved, sick man! And it's available to mercs too?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Last time I checked, strafing and striking did not ignore the target's TMM.  I could be wrong here, if course, but that seems... odd.

Additionally, at least in the copy of AS I've got, bombs scatter in three directions, not six, and altitude bombing scatters as normal.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Awesome article.  Hmm. do we need to do something about non-thrust 10+ aerospace fighters? 

"Also of note is that all air-to-ground attacks work like artillery, meaning they ignore the TMM of targeted units; this does make them good at targeting lights. Bombing can scatter; while Dive Bombing can scatter in all six directions, Altitude Bombing only scatters forward along the flightline, making it somewhat safer. "

Only bombing ignores TMM.  AS p56 "Bombing attacks do not apply modifiers for the target's movement, type or terrain, but all other air-to-ground attacks must apply these modifiers."
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Awesome article.  Hmm. do we need to do something about non-thrust 10+ aerospace fighters? 

Absolutely yes.  Off the top of my head, changing it so that traversing an extra zone pretty turn to 6a, and having speedsters with 12a able to tackle three would immensely help.  You must end your movement in the central zone to get an attack run, which means you can't get multiple with higher thrust, which would be the most unbalancing factor.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Last time I checked, strafing and striking did not ignore the target's TMM.  I could be wrong here, if course, but that seems... odd.

Additionally, at least in the copy of AS I've got, bombs scatter in three directions, not six, and altitude bombing scatters as normal.

p56 under Bombing.
"the numbers in parenthese indicate the 3 possible directions bombs will scatter from a failed altitude-bombing attack, while the numbers outside of the parentheses indicate the 6 possible directions a failed dive bombing attack will scatter."
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Posting from my lunch break, not surprised to get it a bit wrong.

And this is minor quibbling.  Great article, iamfanboy!
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

iamfanboy

• Captain
EDIT: partially ninja'd. Darn you nckestrel!

Dammit, I didn't correct that, I meant to clarify it that only bombing ignores TMMs. How did that 'all' sneak in there? Fixing now *fixfixfix*

However, as per page 56 of my book (at the very end),

the numbers in parentheses indicate the 3 possible directions
bombs will scatter from a failed altitude-bombing attack, while
the numbers outside of the parentheses indicate the 6 possible
directions a failed dive bombing attack will scatter.

It isn't listed in the errata from June 6/15, so if your book says different than I have angry words at the publishers (with a sigh of relief that bombing is even better).

And we've tried the multiple zones thing before, but then you end up with some of the Attack Fighters going to 6a with Speed Demon and moving multiple zones, being able to attack every turn, and THEN it starts to come unglued in favor of aerospace fighters destroying everything. Then we tried it with 9a being the threshold, and someone (it may have been me >:D) introduced the table to the DARO-1D Dagger with its S5 ENE damage.

So, as tilted as it is towards extremes, trying to rejigger the Zone system leads to tilting the game away from the ground and towards the air.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Heh, evern after 25 years, people still get some BattleTech rules wrong.  One reason I love these articles, so I can hear what other people read/thought :).

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Aeropspacre fighters that can attack every turn seems like a good trade-off to being the only unit in the game that can have ten armor and die from a single one point hit.  At that point, you're paying for 5 damage at short range in order to be able to do 5 damage at short range.  Units keeping their TMMs might away your a bit, no?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

iamfanboy

• Captain
Okay, let me give you this hypothetical scenario, that wasn't so hypothetical at one point:

Turn 2, an Attack AF drops three Inferno bombs along a path, nailing 4-5 Assaults, reducing their Movement by -4, and reducing their miniscule TMMs to 0. Because the player's a smart guy, he's upgraded Skill to 2 and has Wind Walker and Ground Hugger, getting the Speed Demon SPA as a result of being in an Interceptor squadron. So he moves in for another attack run turn 3, and because of the reduced movement and Ground Hugger, the opponent can't move out of the way of a 7-point Strafe that hits all but one of those Assaults, and only misses once on a 6+ roll.

It got to the point where we were investing almost as many points into our aerospace assets as into our ground assets, with multiple fighters across multiple zones in 500 point games I might add, and it took focus away from the ground game, which is something that I'm not in favor of. This was before the changes to BOMB, I will admit, when Sz1 ASFs could carry 2, but even then I'm reluctant to change the movement paradigm.

Alpha Strike, thematically, is giant robots shootin' lazers at each other and blowin' stuff up real good. A couple of ASFs add spice and interest to the basic game, but when they start dominating it's time to ramp them back.

Plus, the emphasis on light fighters suits the universe, because a commander might be willing to risk/still have some fast fighters on an attack, but would have used the heavier stuff to defend/attack in space before the ground battle began. Atmo operations for ASFs are unusual for them, rather than the rule.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
My group has imposed limits on support units in our games explicitly to avoid making it all about who has the most artillery or air support assets.  We also don't apply the zero cost SPAs except with lance abilities.

When you build a truly exceptional pilot don't be surprised if the results are exceptional.

EDIT:  one of my players suggests 7a and 11a as the thresholds for extra spaces.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2015, 15:07:56 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

iamfanboy

• Captain
What kind of force composition limits do you have? Is it like, 1 ART unit per 250 points, or is it like 1 ART unit per 8 units, or something similar?

Enforcing a force composition limit would not only bring attention to some of the things that should be on the field in limited number (ART and AFs), but also restrict them; in which case, something like what you propose would probably work out well. It would still let fast Interceptors have a role because they could move to any Inner Ring Zone before making an attack run, allowing them to either intercept (hem, hem) slow units or strike from behind, but would make the slower stuff viable too. There's even room for Speed Demon to up the speed of Dogfighters which allow two zones of movement.

With a force compo rule, I could see it. Maybe any AFs chosen for a force under 1,000 points HAVE to be part of an Air Lance Formation? Why didn't I think of that before? It'd keep the Interceptor Squadron from buffing speed for free - one particularly munchkin player filled the formation with 4 Skill 4 F-15 Cheetahs so he could pick up two Skill 3 Poignards with effectively 3 SPAs.

My example above had 60 points of AF dealing multiple crushing blows to over 200 points of enemy units, stripping enough armor off of them that by turn four the game was over - his hammer was ruined, even though I lost the fighter turn 3 it had a disproportionate effect for its PV.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Our group works by points , to similarly avoid crippling cheaper support units.  20-25%, usually.  I'm paying a 1000 point game Wednesday, and we've agreed on 200 points of artillery and air support.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Great article! O0

Minor quibble: There are no Size 4 ASFs.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Well, seeing that this is an article I have not yet commented on:
Excellent article!
Love how much AS is getting in here recently.
And unlike CBT, I actually understood the rules on this one.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
Well, seeing that this is an article I have not yet commented on:
Excellent article!
Love how much AS is getting in here recently.
And unlike CBT, I actually understood the rules on this one.
Are you strictly an Alpha Strike player? Or just out of the loop on CBT rules?

Ah, Weirdo, I get how they changed BOMB: no one gets 4 any more, it's only 3 max, with 2 for down to 50 tons, and 1 for under. Good, makes sense, even if it means I need to redo all my my ASF cards, not just the Interceptors...

And unfortunately for testing purposes of Scotty's proposal, two of my regular group just moved away, one lives about 70 miles away, we voted two of them out of the island, and the last one just took a vacation... so if someone wants to experiment with 7a 2 zones/11a 3 zones, the advice that universally applies to making any fighter good is high Threshold and ENE. The Striga is probably the most wicked Dogfighter for strafing again and again, with Threshold 4, and the Infernus has S5 damage and is only 37 points, just BARELY within 7-point per Skill increase. 51 points for Skill 2, Windwalker, and Speed Demon to completely ignore lawndart checks and Strafe every turn... Or upgrade Skill once more for Ground Hugger (possibly swap Windwalker for Lucky (2), as 3+ on a reroll is pretty much guaranteed and Lucky is more versatile); hitting strafed targets on a 5+ is pretty good for 58 points. The bog-standard Corsair-12D can carry 2 bombs with Speed Demon to move two zones, and although 3 strafing damage isn't gonna shake the earth it also has Threshold 4, giving it serious staying power. 3 damage adds up over time...

Why do I point those out? Because you don't know how to judge a rule change until you've bent it as hard as you can.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
The Vulcan -3M has BOMB4, so that still exists.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Also:

When you build a truly exceptional pilot don't be surprised if the results are exceptional.

If I bring Natasha Kerensky to a game, I would not be terribly surprised if she utterly obliterated two Atlases of any stripe, even though the points are the same.  When you build a unit from the ground up to be as effective as is physically possible to make against one target ,of course it will be good at doing that one thing.

I, of course, will shoot that fighter's ass down with an Interceptor that never has to break a sweat staying in Short range.  A fighter that is purpose built to exploit every single rule that makes it more effective at ground attacks will be pretty damn effective at ground attacks.  I am neither surprised nor disturbed by this.

That said, I seriously think that SPAs not from Lance Abilities need to be agreed to individually before play starts, because they are free in terms of PV and obviously not balanced against that.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
actually the non-lance ones have to be paid for in PV. it's the lance formation granted ones that are free.

edit: just reread the section on SPA's.. man, both are basically free.. oy

honestly, i think it would make more sense if you had to pay the listed points out of your PV, in addition to the skill # requirements.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 21:15:02 by glitterboy2098 »

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
They're not balanced based on that at all, though.  Speed Demon is 2 point cost, but conveys an ability that is worth exactly 0.25 PV (2" movement, no TMM change).

SPAs are emphatically not the standard to which rules should be judged.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The Vulcan -3M has BOMB4, so that still exists.

That's one I missed fixing. It will be corrected.

EDIT: and the  RS:UF I missed, and the Voidseeker.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 21:47:05 by nckestrel »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Are you strictly an Alpha Strike player? Or just out of the loop on CBT rules?
Actually, no, I never played AS (With who?), but it took me just your article to get how to use ASFs there.
I never did that in the few games of CBT I actually played.
Which is why I like the stream of AS articles, it's essentially introducing me to a whole new system, and as much as I like CBT, an AS game could actually fit in my timeframe.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
And if the artillery article deserved a bump, this errata may need an extra section on this one.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

iamfanboy

• Captain
I won't write the new section yet, but basically AFs with Arrow IV missiles could fire them from the Inner Ring with a travel time of 1 turn. This means that a Sz 3 AF could carry two Arrows, launch them turn 3 using Indirect rules, and they would arrive on the same turn as its strafing run.

However, that travel time is killer. A board's a big place, and the templates are small, letting the targets move out of the way - still not a good deal versus just bombing them.

There's only one canon AF/CF unit with ARTAxt, the Planetlifter Tactical Support Aircraft, so the idea of having an AF or CF sit in the sky and rain down artillery is mostly reserved for custom Omni designs - finally, something the Shiva would be good at?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I think the number of ASFs with A-IV might increase if they go back over them.  The Planetlifter is the only one with the Special right now, but is it the only aero unit period?

If not, I'm sensing a beautiful Mechbuster variant.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
The tempo of air-to-ground is something I'd like to see discussed more.   Units can't reach the central zone for an airstrike until round 3*, and then can only make attack runs every other turn from then on.  So, that normally means passes on rounds 3 and 5.  Another one on round 7 if the game is still going that long.

If, for whatever reason, on round 3 when the would-be bomber is about to move from the inner ring into the central zone for an attack run decides it's not worth it just yet (C3 network isn't cut by ECM yet, or the enemy haven't split up away from mutually supportive range, or no juicy bunches of units to bomb, etc), the first ground strike can't come until round 5... there's no way to be eligible to attack in round 3 but delay the attack to round 4 instead.  In fact, the only way to make a ground attack on round 4 is to commit to it during round 1 by declining to move from the Outer ring to the Middle ring.

So, this tempo phenomenon gives the ground forces an advantage to exploit at the air units' disadvantage.  On rounds 1,2,4, and if the game lasts long enough, 6, there can be no threat from the air and units can be moved accordingly.  Likewise, only on turns 3 and 5 (and 7, if the game lasts long enough) is there going to be any threat from above to be concerned with addressing.  In the event that the tempo is modified to attack runs on turns 4,6 (and maybe 8 ) that fact is telegraphed and cannot catch ground units by surprise. 

So, does that mean that if one is going to bring any air at all, one should bring at least a pair of bombers so that one can stagger and then bring the threat of an air strike every round from round 3 and on?  Is splitting your ground attackers up into two mutually unsupportable groups so that they can attack every turn a viable option if the other guy brought air of his own?

*=Obviously I'm ignoring Interceptors and their two zones per turn speed.  They're able to strike on round 2, and then every turn thereafter.  But they don't do very much damage, and they're often the easiest target to hit for units with a shot on them.  I don't know that interceptors have an impactful purpose over intercepting hostile bombers and making their bad air-to-ground tempo even worse.  Every round caught up in a dogfight is a round not advancing the air-to-ground schedule...

« Last Edit: 14 August 2015, 14:43:21 by Tai Dai Cultist »