Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: MTR-** Maelstrom  (Read 8262 times)

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
'Mech of the Week: MTR-** Maelstrom
« on: 07 August 2015, 00:52:25 »
MTR-** Maelstrom
75-ton Inner Sphere BattleMech
Source: Technical Readout 3058 Upgrade
Camo Specs Online Link

"Straight lines are for Robes and Clanners. Real BattleMechs have curves."

This week we'll be discussing the Maelstrom series. TRO 3058 will be twenty years old next month, and it's almost a century old in-universe, but the Maelstrom series has remained useful for its entire existence. Its early models were capable cavalry designs for the era, the electronics-heavy Civil War variants left them well-prepared for the Jihad, and the updated 3145 NTNU variant uses advanced technology to become a dangerous cavalry design once again.

Start at the beginning?

The first version of the Maelstrom, the MTR-5K was actually a Star League design that never saw production until GM dredged it up in the late 3050s. As such, it only uses technology that was available to the Star League. However, as a latter-day Star League design, it manages to use that technology well. A 375 XL engine gives it that nice 5/8 movement  typical of cavalry designs. It mounts the maximum amount of armor for its weight, which helps cover the vulnerability of the XL. Additionally, less than a quarter of the armor is rear-mounted. The Maelstrom is very much a FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY kind of design. It doesn't spend critical slots on endo-steel or ferro-fibrous armor, instead saving the space for the nineteen double heat sinks that let it run its all-energy arsenal.

The fact that its entire battery is low-tonnage energy weapons means that the MTR-5K actually packs a decent punch for its size and era. One ER PPC, one ER Large Laser, two medium pulse lasers, and a small laser to use the last half-ton make for a decent arsenal, but its most dangerous laser might be the TAG in the right torso. I say might be, because it doesn't do anything on its own, but just a couple Arrow IV tubes on your side can turn that one-ton laser into the Maelstrom's most powerful weapon. The fact that it has enough heat sinks to fire both the long- and short-ranged guns at the same time further augment the Maelstrom's ability to run in and spot targets.

That sounds pretty handy. You said there were variants?

Yeah, and they're all pretty good! GM licensed the design to Telfar in the DC and Norse-Storm in the LC, who came up with a couple of variants that place more of an emphasis on electronics. The first removes two heat sinks and downgrades the pulse lasers to standards in order to add Guardian ECM, a Beagle Probe, and another pair of small lasers. That's the MTR-6E. Norse-Storm, apparently appalled at the notion of something so pedestrian as "bracket firing" or "overheating ever," came up with the MTR-6K, which is the same except with a standard PPC and large laser. That actually makes the MTR-6K fairly substantially oversinked, but the ability to shrug off an engine hit is at least somewhat handy when you have less rear armor than a 3025 Dragon.

Some time passed, the Jihad happened, and by the end Telfar had the only Maelstrom production lines. By 3145, they started making an upgraded version that got back to the Maelstrom's heavy cavalry roots. The MTR-7K has a fancy new endo-steel frame, an engine supercharger so it can go even faster, and a nasty new array of weapons. The ER PPC was upgraded to Clan tech, the large laser became a heavy large laser, and the secondary laser array became a trio of X-pulse lasers. So, it runs far hotter than its predecessors, but it's got a nice range of options for how it uses its heat. The PPC is a no-brainer, and then you can throw in the pulse lasers against stuff that's hard to hit or the heavy laser against easier targets.

The powerful electronics are still there, but now in the form of a Boosted C3 slave. Instead of spotting for Arrow IV, the MTR-7K can spot for anything.

Well, anything with Boosted C3.

Okay, yes, true. That actually is sort of a problem, too, since the Combine doesn't have any non-assault designs with single Boosted C3 Masters. That's not to say that spotting for a Naginata or Gunslinger or Cyclops isn't useful, but...that's it. For the moment, those are the choices for single masters.

EDIT: Those are the choices for single Boosted masters, but there's been some errata I didn't know about. Apparently Boosted and regular C3 can connect to each other just fine, so there's actually a pretty huge array of options! Older masters won't afford the same benefits as a totally Boosted network, but they're still much better than nothing. All is well!

On the other hand, given that 3150 is a strange and unsettling place where the Combine has a border with the Capellans and not the Lyrans, maybe they could make a deal for a few Vandals. Those would make for a very nasty Boosted C3 supercharged cavalry pack.

Even an older Maelstrom will still be useful in the the Dark Age era. The firepower is no longer particularly impressive in a world with widespread Clan tech, but the TAG is more useful than ever with the introduction of semi-guided LRMs, along with several more generations of Arrow IV designs. The electronics of the -6E and -6K may not be state-of-the-art anymore, but they're still worth having. Even almost a century after its introduction, you can put a MTR-5K Maelstrom in practically any lance and get a fair amount of utility out of it.

How do I get a fair amount of explosions out of it?

The Maelstrom series has a bad problem with rear armor. It's not just that the armor is a tempting target, it's that so many of its weapons are mounted in the torso, particularly the ones with the pulse bonus. The Maelstrom is plenty fast for a heavy 'Mech, but even the -7K isn't so fast that other designs can't get behind it. Since its introduction, the development of fast, well-armed medium and light 'Mechs has probably been the most worrisome problem for the Maelstrom family. A medium laser and a single SRM will go internal on the side torsos, and a second SRM will go internal on the center. How many designs can you think of that are faster than a Maelstrom, and big on SRMs and medium lasers? I can think of quite a few.

Reflective armor is also a problem, although perhaps less of one than it might seem. It thoroughly screws over the Maelstrom's guns, to be sure, but the Maelstrom is also heavy enough that its physical attacks will devastate reflective designs, and it's fast enough for that to be a concern. Also, for older Maelstroms with Arrow IV support, TAG is pretty much an instant death sentence for reflective designs. On the other hand, things that are really fast, well-armed, and reflective (I'm thinking of the Gunsmith in particular)? Yeah, that's a problem.

Infantry are another pretty good way to deal with Maelstroms, or at least make them go away. None of the various upgrades have added any antipersonnel weapons, although the ones will pulse lasers should do okay against battle armor. The reflective armor on Kishis, upgraded Fusiliers, Raiden IIs, and Zous will mitigate even that.

Really, on the modern battlefield, the biggest danger to Maelstroms might just be the IS XL engine. Yeah, it's got maximum armor, but so many of its newer competitors are better protected in some way or another (whether it's a Clan XL like on a Sphinx or just an abnormally huge amount of armor like on a Shiro). Shooting things a lot until they die has never really gone out of style.

I thought you said it was good!

I still think it's good! It's just that now it's an older design in a world with a lot more advanced technology, and so of course it's not going to be the best at everything, or even anything. What it is, is good enough at enough things that it's still well worth having, and I think that's pretty cool.

What do you all think? It's been actively produced by three major factions for the better part of twenty real-life years. I'm sure people have stories.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 01:42:58 by Diplominator »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 'Mech of the Week: MTR-** Maelstrom
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2015, 01:08:45 »
Were you not aware that boosted c3 slaves can be linked to a regular c3 master? That gem of erratum helps the 7k out some.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2015, 01:22:59 »
Were you not aware that boosted c3 slaves can be linked to a regular c3 master? That gem of erratum helps the 7k out some.

I...whoa.

No, I was not aware. When did that happen?

That's amazing.

EDIT: Found it! Added a bit to the article. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 01:41:42 by Diplominator »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2015, 01:57:01 »
Maelstrom is one of those designs that improved with TW simply because the TAG change.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Leozack

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2015, 05:14:14 »
My first experience with the Maelstrom was with the original model in the Jihad era. Fought two of them as part of a WoBbly opfor, and decided to salvage them after the fight, they have proven their worth since in my "pet unit", both using the TAG to spot, and as straight up heavy mechs - that extra walking MP over the 4/6 designs comes in surprisingly handy, and their weapons fit may not be spectacular but I find if solid and reliable.

I didn't know about the upgraded Dark Age variant - something else to add to the "me want! me want!" list when the units timeline gets there.

Karl
I consider, therefore, that unless it commands its own arms no principality is secure.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2015, 05:44:31 »
I like me a good energy boat, and since the heat is well taken care of I do like the Maelstrom, but I just have trouble using it.

Two decent long range weapons make for adequate sniping but I can't resist the urge to get in and backstab with the pulse lasers, which causes me some trouble.

Am I alone in thinking this is a generalist that's a better team player than a duellist?

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2015, 06:08:59 »
I...whoa.

No, I was not aware. When did that happen?

That's amazing.

EDIT: Found it! Added a bit to the article. Thanks for the heads up!

How does it work anyway. Because from what I am reading of it... a Non-Boosted Master can RECEIVE data if there is an ECM field between it and a Boosted Slave... but it can't provide targeting data for the Boosted. The ECM reducing it to one-way communications.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2015, 06:37:19 »
Maelstrom is neat design, it's doesn't have as over the top firepower as some designs, but it's unique design wise.

Having the Boosted variants handy, since i strongly believe other Boosted Masters will show up sooner or later. 

Diplominator, why didn't mentioned that the Maelstrom is related to the Marauder?  It's in the older text, but it's there.

Great article never the less!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2015, 06:37:20 »
A Boosted C3 Slave can connect to a standard C3 Master but loses all the benefits of boosted network to do so, acting as a standard C3 Slave. Thus, a single Guardian ECM can block the connection. (A full BC3 connection can only blocked with an Angel ECM.)
So you will want a Boosted C3 Master to make real use of the Boosted C3 Slave, otherwise it is a waste of two tons really.

A standard C3 slave cannot be connected to a Boosted Master, if i recall correctly.

There is no one-way data-sharing.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2015, 07:36:59 »
I'm a bit in two minds about the Maelstrom - the basic 5K I considered undergunned and over sinked, which along with the TAG encourages you to run it forward where your thin rear armour will get you into trouble.

The 6E, on the other hand, I rate really highly as a command mech.  Hanging back and sniping is appropriate behavior for your field commander and all that electronics gear will make them that much effective at what they're actually supposed to be doing - commanding stuff.  Throw in strong frontal armour and the speed to keep up with the heavy cavalry units I prefer and it's a winning combination.

I view the 6K as basically just a way of getting a 6E for less bv, although I have one in a campaign force that I refitted with an extra large laser to make it a bit more potent at medium range.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2015, 09:30:23 »
Diplominator, why didn't mentioned that the Maelstrom is related to the Marauder?  It's in the older text, but it's there.
>.>
<.<

Mostly I forgot about it. I also don't think it really matters all that much, because that single extra movement point really muddles the comparison, but it's a neat factoid and I probably should have mentioned it.

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2015, 11:04:01 »
I like it as a cavalry spotter for my FWL forces or a EWAR unit for my WoB Militia. Could use a little more firepower but on the whole it's solid - except for that rear armor.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2015, 11:39:20 »
I used to swear by the Maelstrom, a fine mech if partnered with its mate the Dragonfire.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2015, 12:08:01 »
A Boosted C3 Slave can connect to a standard C3 Master but loses all the benefits of boosted network to do so, acting as a standard C3 Slave. Thus, a single Guardian ECM can block the connection. (A full BC3 connection can only blocked with an Angel ECM.)
So you will want a Boosted C3 Master to make real use of the Boosted C3 Slave, otherwise it is a waste of two tons really.

A standard C3 slave cannot be connected to a Boosted Master, if i recall correctly.

There is no one-way data-sharing.

Boosted and nonboosted C3 can be freely mixed.  But yes, links between boosted and nonboosted elements are still severed by ECM.

As for the Marauder link.. I always had a special affection for the Maelstrom because of its Marauder heritage.  Even moreso once the Phoenix reseens came out.. I clutched to the Maelstrom as what Marauders were still "supposed to look like".  Now that Marauders are revisited, I've liked Maelstroms for so long I'll just have to like them both now ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2015, 18:31:27 »
Am I alone in thinking this is a generalist that's a better team player than a duellist?

Not at all.  This mech is pretty effective as a support unit, but trying to slug it out on its own typically ends badly.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2015, 23:07:22 »
It would make a great team player for a Marik fire support lance, what with that TAG for semi-guided LRM spotting. . . too bad the League doesn't get access to it until the Republic era.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2015, 00:18:39 »
Not at all.  This mech is pretty effective as a support unit, but trying to slug it out on its own typically ends badly.

To be fair, while the game not-so-subtly encourages dueling by means of increasingly slowing down to a crawl under its level of detail as the forces involved get bigger...in-universe clashes of team vs. team or army vs. army are going to be more the norm. Even the Clans and the would-be samurai of House Kurita aren't all "all duels, all the time".

So in most cases where a Maelstrom finds itself having to slug it out on its own something probably went wrong with the battle plan already. Because what is it even doing wherever it is without support?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2015, 06:38:10 »
Move.  Thats the key if you find yourself unsupported in a duel.  Keep it moving it's max and harder to hit :)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2015, 09:01:26 »
Love the Maelstrom and the Dragon Fire. I find it kind of funny that for a long while the DCMS's two best heavy 'Mechs were purchased from outside the Combine.
I have spoken.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2015, 22:49:27 »
Move.  Thats the key if you find yourself unsupported in a duel.  Keep it moving it's max and harder to hit :)
Exactly. You invested all that tonnage & space in a 5/8 XL engine, use it
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2015, 23:19:54 »
Yet another of those 3058 Star League 'Mechs that I barely know anything about. Really have to give it and the Dragon Fire a try some time.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2015, 23:29:56 »
Love the Maelstrom and the Dragon Fire. I find it kind of funny that for a long while the DCMS's two best heavy 'Mechs were purchased from outside the Combine.

The Maelstrom is domestic for the Combine.  The plans are SLDF relics, sure, but the mech is built on Midway, a planet safely in the core of the Combine.

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #22 on: 09 August 2015, 20:21:19 »
i really wish the Norse-Storm facility on Solaris hasn't been wrecked... i always prefered the Devastator to the Nightstar (still no reason not to build both, especially once we started cranking out the stealth armor!) but Maelstrom was a bit more unique and fit into the Lyran / FedCom TOE quite nicely.  sure, the firepower is a bit anemic but as noted its really more about volume than delivering major hammer blows.  i like pairing them with mechs like the Falconer and Lynx for scouting / electronics support... a version of the Maelstrom with jump jets would be really nice.  but i use them primarily as spotters, either for my Arrow-equipped Thunder Hawks or as part of a Boosted C3 unit (which i just so happened to play today). 

when it comes to Alpha Strike the Maelstrom actually made the transition pretty well.  its got solid firepower, a nice fat armor block, a TMM of 2, and good specials.  very solid and quite reasonably priced.  plus the mini looks pretty good. 

a winner in my book, without a doubt.  though honestly i would love to see a version sporting both a Heavy PPC and a Plasma Rifle, along with all the electronic goodies. >:D
« Last Edit: 09 August 2015, 20:24:04 by whistler »
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #23 on: 09 August 2015, 20:53:44 »
Anyone know what variant a Blakist would've fielded? I remember reading a novel about the Crescent Hawks, and they encountered a Wobbie Maelstrom.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #24 on: 09 August 2015, 22:08:13 »
Probably the 6E.  The Wobbies seem to like mechs with a lot of electronics and a lot of high-heat energy weapons.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman